• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Build Fighters 4

Ugh, the idol was such a terrible, annoying waste of time. The episode was worth it though for Ramba Ral randomly showing up in the park. His appearances are the best thing about the show.

Mature

Gundam Build Fighters 4

Ugh, the idol was such a terrible, annoying waste of time. The episode was worth it though for Ramba Ral randomly showing up in the park. His appearances are the best thing about the show.
Seriously. I wonder how my opinion of the show would change without Ral in the equation.

Syrinx

Haibane Renmei 8

Rakka has the feeling that the crow she keeps seeing is calling her, and that the dead bird she finds in the well is something she knew and cherished in her past life. I think she's identifying a lot with the crows, being seen as a nuisance and doesn't have a place in this world she's in.

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 8

Rakka has the feeling that the crow she keeps seeing is calling her, and that the dead bird she finds in the well is something she knew and cherished in her past life. I think she's identifying a lot with the crows, being seen as a nuisance and doesn't have a place in this world she's in.

Lesson #1 of haibane, crows are assholes

Branduil

Worse than Kirito.

>Regrowth - Allows complete recovery of any form of damage/injury. It is not a form of recovery magic; instead, by reverse-reading the records of the Eidos, copying the past information of the target and directly overwriting it, he is able to make the injury "not have existed in the first place".

Mahouka is complete garbage.

That's like something a five-year-old would come up with while playing superhero. "Well I have a superpower which makes your attacks never exist!"

oh yeh i read the first Zaregoto, it was ok but felt it was too in awe of genre conventions for my taste.
does anyone have any officially translated LN recommendations? i was toying with starting a LN OT a while back but ultimately put it off as i doubted there would be enough interest.

Of the LNs I own, Haruhi Suzumiya series and Spice & Wolf. I also enjoyed the single volume novels of Welcome to the NHK and NisiOisiN's Death Note: Another Note. I would probably own more if such titles I were interested were not OOP, never fully translated, or even both.

LordCanti

Kill la Kill 7

YJDVlee.png

Bancho Mako was awesome! It's sad that it was short-lived.

Yesss yesss, convert to the love that is Mako.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
As a librarian I can now attest from experience to the fact that Amish romance is the worst form of fiction ever created by humans. I'd sooner read every Twilight and Oreimo ripoff in existence.

Gazoinks

This seems like a good time for an updated seasonal ranking! Ordered from most enjoyed to least:

-Kyousougiga: Has only gotten better as it went on. Things be gettin' real now.
-Log Horizon: First arc was pretty good, current arc has been great so far, hoping it keeps this quality. Best protagonist of the season.
-Kill La Kill: Good, but suffering from pacing problems and Ryuko REALLY needs development soon.
-White Album 2: First seven episodes were great, has been slipping since then.
-Samurai Flamenco: Quality is up and down like crazy, but it's a fun ride.
-Golden Time: I think this show hates me. Every time it lures me in with nice characters and decent comedy, it immediately slaps me across the face with exposition and stupid plot points.

Dropped/Sampled:
-Kyoukai no Kanata 1: Nice animation, boring characters. Didn't present much reason to keep going, and people's impressions here haven't really inspired me to.
-Coppelion 2: Pretty backgrounds, good concept, more boring characters, heavy-handed drama. Wanted to like this one more than I did. Might give it another few episodes at some point, but eh.
-Galilei Donna 1: Technically solid but impressively unremarkable first episode. Seems to only have gotten worse from there, judging by impressions.
-Gundam Build Fighters 1: Nice mech animation, but the surroundings were pretty bland. If I ever get around to getting into Gundam I'll come back to this, because I'll probably appreciate it more.
-Yosakura Quartet Hana no Uta 3: Pretty nice animation, good (if currently sparse) action, panty shots are ridiculous but you all already know that. The first three episodes didn't fully grab me, but I've heard a lot of really good impressions, so I'll soldier on at some point.

OceanBlue

As a librarian I can now attest from experience to the fact that Amish romance is the worst form of fiction ever created by humans. I'd sooner read every Twilight and Oreimo ripoff in existence.

Reactions to works of Amish fiction have varied among the Amish themselves, from appreciation and enjoyment to disgust, especially at inaccurate portrayals of the Amish way of life.
This is probably the most humorous part of the page for me, lol. I didn't know such a genre existed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wonder how many of these Amish romance novels deal with the rampant meth abuse.

None of course. They're all creepy fetishizations of the "purity" and "simplicity" of Amish life written by evangelical Christians who don't actually know anything about Amish culture and just co-opt its most superficial aspects to create a utopian godfearing bizarro world where everyone churns butter and plows fields and is sweet and humble but religiously converses like megachurch Southern Baptists.

These seem mostly to be read by 80-year-old women.

Gundam Build Fighters 5

OK, I think I'm all model-ed out for today. Watching this show is kind of like running into some guy who's obsessed with some hobby and just won't stop talking your ears off about all its intricacies when you have no idea what he's talking about and just smile and nod your head. But the show doesn't take itself seriously and the music is cool, so it's watchable at least.

-Yosakura Quartet Hana no Uta 3: Pretty nice animation, good (if currently sparse) action, panty shots are ridiculous but you all already know that. The first three episodes didn't fully grab me, but I've heard a lot of really good impressions, so I'll soldier on at some point.

Episodes 5 through 7 are a "holy shit this is crazy" action arc, so definitely watch those at least.

wonzo

Banned
None of course. They're all creepy fetishizations of the "purity" and "simplicity" of Amish life written by evangelical Christians who don't actually know anything about Amish culture and just co-opt its most superficial aspects to create a utopian godfearing bizarro world where everyone churns butter and plows fields but thinks and religiously converses like Southern Baptists.

These seem mostly to be read by 80-year-old women.
That sounds like an entire body of fiction based on a perverted form of B. A. Santamaria's idealist agrarian catholic utopia. How horrifying.

Syrinx

Haibane Renmei 9

Rakka's conversation with the Communicator was interesting, but also a bit puzzling. The riddle he told that someone who recognizes their sin is no longer a sinner is a bit strange in reference to Rakka, because if she has sinned, which she seems pretty sure she has, how can she recognize it if she doesn't know what it is? Can you absolve yourself of a sin if you recognize you sinned, even if you don't know what it is? Maybe it has more to do with Rakka recognizing that she hurt whoever that bird was. And that feeling remorse for that was enough? Kind of like that saying that people may forget the things you did, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. That sort of thing.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 008

UvqWl8Ml.jpg

Too elegant for words.

Well, pretty much a filler episode showcasing the very not so in depth Pokemon grooming system that's in the game for one Pokemon. Which I purposely put on my team just so I could use it.

Anyway, we do get some very impressive battling and teamwork between Ash and Pikachu and there's more hints of this journey is for Serena to find a goal she wants to go for.

Haibane Renmei 9

Rakka's conversation with the Communicator was interesting, but also a bit puzzling. The riddle he told that someone who recognizes their sin is no longer a sinner is a bit strange in reference to Rakka, because if she has sinned, which she seems pretty sure she has, how can she recognize it if she doesn't know what it is? Can you absolve yourself of a sin if you recognize you sinned, even if you don't know what it is? Maybe it has more to do with Rakka recognizing that she hurt whoever that bird was. And that feeling remorse for that was enough? Kind of like that saying that people may forget the things you did, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. That sort of thing.

If you know you wronged someone, you can ask for forgiveness. If my memory serves, I don't think Rakka was completely unaware of what she did anyway.

Syrinx

If you know you wronged someone, you can ask for forgiveness.
But who would she ask for forgiveness from?

I guess her burying the dead bird in the well was essentially her asking for forgiveness, seeing as how she's convinced the bird was a cherished person (or something) she wronged?

But who would she ask for forgiveness from?

I guess her burying the dead bird in the well was essentially her asking for forgiveness, seeing as how she's convinced the bird was a cherished person (or something) she wronged?

Well, the theory is
that Rakka committed suicide, so she would be asking for forgiveness from the loved ones she hurt by killing herself.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Series Thoughts

This show was pretty funny the whole way through. Then that last episode came.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED MAN. JESUS. That wasn't fair man. I started crying during
the scene everybody is dealing with her eventual death

Very good show. But now I feel like watching something sad again. Emotions rollercoaster.

edit: while I haven't heard that it's sad I think my next anime might be Texnholicantspellthisshit

Joe Molotov

Is this where I come to turn in my Happy Science membership form?

I watched Shiawasette Naani and The Laws of Eternity, and although I still have a lot of questions, from what I understood, if you're super happy all the time and love each other really hard, eventually you'll get god powers that include (but are not limited to) summoning a giant robot built by Thomas Edison to fight Hitler's demon army in Hell. Also, dat trickle down happiness economics!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is this where I come to turn in my Happy Science membership form?

I watched Shiawasette Naani and The Laws of Eternity, and although I still have a lot of questions, from what I understood, if you're super happy all the time and love each other really hard, eventually you'll get god powers that include (but are not limited to) summoning a giant robot built by Thomas Edison to fight Hitler's demon army in Hell. Also, dat trickle down happiness economics!
But wait, there's more!

Nothing I really want from Day One. I guess the Japanese import of Ghost in the Shell Arise for $34.99 sounds good since it's suppose to be limited.

Nothing for me either that I must order now, but I may possibly get Infinite Stratos later just so I can have the bonus CD without importing it, and get a bonus anime with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom