• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Clannad 18

I know it's a standard harem thing, but I still find it kind of depressing how everyone's life revolves around Tomoya. He's suspended, not dying of cancer, everyone chill out.

Ooon the other hand, after that bit, the second half was pretty solid. Of course we don't get full arcs for two of the better girls in the show, but Tomoyo revealed her obligatory tragic backstory so there's that. Ending was pretty good though, and relationships are changing and stuff now. Yay. Nagisa's still pretty dull, but hopefully this show is on the verge of picking itself up again.

cajunator

Banned
Nothing for me either that I must order now, but I may possibly get Infinite Stratos later just so I can have the bonus CD without importing it, and get a bonus anime with it.

Same. I own everything on that initial list that Id possibly want, with exception of the stupendously cheap Arjuna soundtrack.

Vito

Banned
New Makoto Shinkai CM for Taisei (in case it hasn't been posted yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umJlY87-0Hs

Chu2koi s2 key visual

mainVisual.jpg

Also Shiori Mikami, Takehito Koyasu, Masako Isobe, Sayuri Hara, Satoshi Hino and Natsuki Hanae are joining Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha's cast, webpage has been updated with character designs:

http://inarikonkon.jp/character/

Some were previously revealed via PR:
http://moca-news.net/article/20131101/201311011100a/01/ (previous)
http://moca-news.net/article/20131202/201312021556a/01/ (today's news)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Toriko - 039

So the secret ingredient to the Century Soup is
penguin drool
?

Guis.... anime sure is weird guis!

hipbabboom

Clannad 18

I know it's a standard harem thing, but I still find it kind of depressing how everyone's life revolves around Tomoya. He's suspended, not dying of cancer, everyone chill out.

Ooon the other hand, after that bit, the second half was pretty solid. Of course we don't get full arcs for two of the better girls in the show, but Tomoyo revealed her obligatory tragic backstory so there's that. Ending was pretty good though, and relationships are changing and stuff now. Yay. Nagisa's still pretty dull, but hopefully this show is on the verge of picking itself up again.

Oh man oh man... this series pays of in spades so don't stop now.... cheat, lie and steal your way into next season if you have to.

Clannad 18

Honestly Clannad, as I see it, is just a set-up for After Story. And even in After Story there are some useless arcs. Like a certain sister arc.

Is there some name for the phenomenon of romance protags never ending up with best girl?

Lazy writing? Anime's fascination with childhood friends or first girl protag meets being the one they end up with is probably because it's safe and guaranteed to be popular with a big amount of people.

There are a couple of anime where protag ends with best girl though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Can you stand by this statement with the highest of confidence?
For some you don't really have a choice, as they aren't really available except for one or the other. For the ones in which you do have the option, as in Rebirth of Buddha, The Mystical Laws, and now The Laws of the Sun, the dub definitely adds to the enjoyment.

From what I understand, dub is always the way to go when it comes to list shows.
Not always. For example, a dub for ICE exists, but it doesn't add anything.

hipbabboom

From what I understand, dub is always the way to go when it comes to list shows.

This is the popular viewpoint now days? (Not trying to be condescending: Prior to GAF a little while ago, it's been 10 years since I've had any real engagement with other people's tastes and viewpoint about anime in general so my perspective on certain subjects may be stuck in the past)

wonzo

Banned
Gingitsune 9

gingitsune9.jpg

This episode made me realise just how little the shows done to actually make me care about the heralds in any capacity which is pretty bad considering they play such a huge role in the overall show.

Reading this... it's like everyone is either ready to kill themselves or kill someone in the process.

Everyone is a yandere.
manga is serious business

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
This is the popular viewpoint now days? (Not trying to be condescending: Prior to GAF a little while ago, it's been 10 years since I've had any real engagement with other people's tastes and viewpoint about anime in general so my perspective on certain subjects may be stuck in the past)
The decision to go sub or dub is not a blanket proposition. There are dubs that detract from the work(eg. Sailor Moon, 4Kids, most anime), some dubs are neutral so you can really go either way(eg. Disney, Cowboy Bebop), and other dubs improve upon the experience. This latter category includes cases where you have a fairly campy work that is boring to watch subbed but lots of fun with the dub, which is of particular interest in List shows and many titles focus on that particular aspect. These are titles that produce entertainment in spite of severe deficiencies in what might be considered objective quality and anything that makes them more entertaining is valued.

If you want the epitome of a dub adding to the experience, look up Garzey's Wing.

Like Hito said, there a dubs that actually add to an experience. A good example would actually be Golden Boy.
If you haven't watched that, watch the dub asap.

hipbabboom

The decision to go sub or dub is not a blanket proposition. There are dubs that detract from the work(eg. Sailor Moon, 4Kids), some dubs are neutral so you can really go either way(eg. Disney, Cowboy Bebop), and other dubs improve upon the experience. This latter category includes cases where you have a fairly campy work that is boring to watch subbed but lots of fun with the dub, which is of particular interest in List shows and many titles focus on that particular aspect. These are titles that produce entertainment despite of severe deficiencies in what might be considered objective quality and anything that makes them more entertaining is valued.

If you want the epitome of a dub adding to the experience, look up Garzey's Wing.

I can get behind this view point. Ay some point in the past I got disinterested in hearing subs because they were so campy (mainly stuff that were available back in the 90's). The exception to me back then were things that exposed me to anime for the first time such as DBZ in the early 90s; that, despite its campiness, was what I identified with to the point that the first DBZ series I watched all in Japanese was GT (though that was mostly because there were no translation available back then... NOTE: I couldn't and still can't speak Japanese). I think the Disney stuff were the first time I could really get behind dubs; it was really well-done. I think I only even bothered because the voice work was done by some actors I recognized. At some point in my early 20s, I made peace with the fact that I was a snob about anime subs and sought to correct it. I didn't really start recognizing crappy Japanese voice acting in earnest for a few more years later but till this day, out of shear habit, I still consume most of my anime subbed if possible but I definitely like the idea of starting people new to anime on dubs and I try to only recommend the none-campy stuff to them for this reason.

Kill la Kill - 7-9
Haven't really been feeling these past few eps, but the flashbacks have definitely been the highlights for me. I loved how Gamagoori was presented as a giant in the most recent one.

hipbabboom

Like Hito said, there a dubs that actually add to an experience. A good example would actually be Golden Boy.
If you haven't watched that, watch the dub asap.

I've been through the entire series in both dub and sub... I recently start reading the manga and as I read the famous introduction scene (manga narration by Kentaro starts of the same as the anime), the nostalgia in my mind played out dubbed and I was fine with that :)

NouKome 8 - First, some of this episode, as always, was entertaining. Furano is, as always, best girl; President's alright, though I want to know if she's just trolling him (here's hoping) or if she ends up a haremite too; and some elements of the plot were funny or interesting. However...

What is wrong with this series? Why is it set up so that episode after episode sets up an interesting situation which could go somewhere, only for everything to be reverted to normal at the end with at least some characters' memories of the incident erased? It's the safest, stupidest, most annoying kind of plot writing there is! And yes, this episode is another top offender. Not good. :(

So, in this episode,
Chocolat temporarially gets her memory back, and real Chocolat turns out to pretty much be the opposite of the one mostly seen in the series. She's kind, shy, likes the MC but doesn't want to show it in public, eats a small amount of food dantily, is reasonably intelligent and thus isn't a brain-dead fool like usual Chocolat is... yeah. Seems like mostly an improvement to me. Sure, she's still a haremite, no question, but not being as stupid is definitely an improvement. The MC, of course, disagrees, though; I guess he prefers his girls to be idiots. Too bad.

So, when real Chocolat kind of hits on him at home and goes in for a kiss, he, in anime-harem-lead fashion, reacts with horror, tries to flee, and manages to accidentally hit her on the head again, returning her to normal stupid-fool-Chocolat form.
And this was right after she said something very interesting when she was implying that somehow a kiss might
end the "absolute choice" problem
... but he was too busy (successfully) desperately trying to get away from her while she was trying to kiss him to pay much attention to that quite relevant issue. WHY, anime? Why do you do this stuff? Now, if it's this or hentai-logic, this is far better for sure. And it's perfectly fine if he doesn't want to kiss someone; that's quite normal. But his reaction was so, so stupid and stereotypical, it was awful. And of course, it also served to continue this show's annoying status quo. Sure, keeping the status quo in a harem anime makes sense, but if you have to go to these lengths, stupid mind-wipes and takebacks in episode after episode, well, you have a problem, and some pretty awful writing as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I can get behind this view point. Ay some point in the past I got disinterested in hearing subs because they were so campy (mainly stuff that were available back in the 90's). The exception to me back then were things that exposed me to anime for the first time such as DBZ in the early 90s; that, despite its campiness, was what I identified with to the point that the first DBZ series I watched all in Japanese was GT (though that was mostly because there were no translation available back then... NOTE: I couldn't and still can't speak Japanese). I think the Disney stuff were the first time I could really get behind dubs; it was really well-done. I think I only even bothered because the voice work was done by some actors I recognized. At some point in my early 20s, I made peace with the fact that I was a snob about anime subs and sought to correct it. I didn't really start recognizing crappy Japanese voice acting in earnest for a few more years later but till this day, out of shear habit, I still consume most of my anime subbed if possible but I definitely like the idea of starting people new to anime on dubs and I try to only recommend the none-campy stuff to them for this reason.
Again, don't overlook the context of this discussion. We're talking about material like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWru5o07j_I

Defaulting to sub is definitely the safest way to go about things. There are just exceptions.

Quasar

Lazy writing? Anime's fascination with childhood friends or first girl protag meets being the one they end up with is probably because it's safe and guaranteed to be popular with a big amount of people.

There are a couple of anime where protag ends with best girl though.

Well in some cases at least I imagine the writers just have different tastes in terms of who that is.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Series Thoughts

This show was pretty funny the whole way through. Then that last episode came.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED MAN. JESUS. That wasn't fair man. I started crying during
the scene everybody is dealing with her eventual death

Very good show. But now I feel like watching something sad again. Emotions rollercoaster.

edit: while I haven't heard that it's sad I think my next anime might be Texnholicantspellthisshit

new season pls.

Vito

Banned
New Space Dandy PV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrgMnPogKc

Wow and a giant list of creators involved http://space-dandy.com/img/creators/popup.png

Edit: Some of the names (via liborek on twitter): Hiroyuki Aoyama, Kunio Okawara, Hiroyuki Okuno, Kiyotaka Oshiyama, Chikashi Kubota, Hiroshi Shimizu, Tomohisa Shimoyama, Katsuya Terada, Shintaro Doge, Eiji Nakada, Seiichi Hashimoto, Akemi Hayashi, Michio Mihara, Masayuki Miyaji, Hisashi Mori, Masaaki Yuasa, Sayo Yamamoto, Katsuhiro Otomo...

Jarmel

Banned
They've announced the 2013 Light Novel sales rankings and... its as bad as you think.

Code:
*1 2,006,033 Sword Art Online
*2 1,051,305 Kagerou Days
*3 *,947,772 Mahouka Koukou no Kyoutousei
*4 *,727,435 Hataraku Maou-sama
*5 *,707,626 Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome ha Machigatteiru
*6 *,650,692 New Index
*7 *,618,026 Monogatari Series
*8 *,612,472 Date A Live
*9 *,565,787 Kuroko no Basket -Replace-
10 *,546,142 Accel World
11 *,516,907 Mondaichi-tachi ga Isekei kara kurusoudesuyo
12 *,369,306 Strike the Blood
13 *,358,990 Infinite Stratos
14 *,357,498 Oreimo
15 *,346,173 High School DXD
16 *,290,715 Haganai
17 *,271,999 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
18 *,267,088 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
19 *,235,532 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
20 *,198,895 Hidan no Aria
21 *,191,094 Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuuraba sugiru
22 *,189,537 Seirei tsukai no Kenmai
23 *,180,426 Kikkou shoujo wa kizu tsukanai
24 *,178,154 Ryuugoroshi no sugosu hibi
25 *,170,295 Haganai CONNECT
26 *,169,178 Gate Jieitai kareo no chi ni te, kakutatakeri Novelization
27 *,165,883 Horizon
28 *,158,304 Blue Exorcist
29 *,157,423 Kotenbu Series
30 *,155,964 Index

Its actually upto 30 but I can't be bothered to write it all out. IS is 13th, Oreimo 14th, Haganai 16th and Kotenbu(!!!) is 29th at 157,423 copies.

EDIT: I lied, here's the whole list.

I'm confused by this because I saw a bunch of other light novel sales stuff on MAL and the numbers are seemingly very different.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=565825&show=0

cnet128

Banned
She says something about unrequited love and then it pops up real fast as text. It could be a mistranslation, but I can't tell since it's written (I only speak moon; I can't read it).

Nadeko: "I'm fine with my love being unrequited. If you could stay in an unrequited love forever, don't you think that's better than having it requited, Kaiki?"

Text: Unrequited - She died in a traffic accident anyway. - While I know love, I don't know losing it.

Could be a completely unrelated person, of course.

This isn't really a spoiler since I think the novel made it pretty clear at this point, and I doubt the anime will go into any more depth: I believe he's referring to
Kanbaru's late mother, Kanbaru (née Gaen) Tooe

None of them are worth buying except for Haruhi.

I really wish the Monogatari series would be localized here, but I could understand why that might be a nightmare to translate. It would also probably make me have a much lower opinion of the series, because the prose probably isn't any good in the first place.

Psch, as if Nisio's prose could be anything but godly.

That said, Japanese prose doesn't tend to translate easily into decent-sounding English prose, and the Monogatari series in particular would indeed be a nightmare to translate. The novels are even more wordplay-heavy than the anime. (Hell, I was reading the beginning of Tsukimonogatari last night and Araragi spent like ten pages or so having an internal debate with himself about the deeper meaning behind hatred of alarm clocks, using almost nothing but convoluted wordplay, even making a point out of the fact that it wouldn't work in any language but Japanese. Oh, Araragi.)

Worse than Kirito.

Mahouka is complete garbage.

This MC sounds entertainingly overpowered. You have actually piqued my interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom