• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Would it be too much weird Shaft comedy at once if I started And The Town Yet Moves while still watching Zetsubou? Cause I kind of want to. >.>

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Valvrave S1.

Saki is the worst.

and she's the only one we know survives from the flash forwards

Would it be too much weird Shaft comedy at once if I started And The Town Yet Moves while still watching Zetsubou? Cause I kind of want to. >.>

Zetsubou is much more abstract, while ATTYM is much more traditional comedy. Personally I laughed more with the former over-all, but it also had like 3-4x the amount of episodes.

Rayearth

Neo Member
eknj.png
So I've taken to watching Arpeggio Ars Nova and then Gundam Build Fighters back-to-back on Mondays and I'm of the belief that this combo will be hard to top for seasons to come. Arpeggio has an interesting premise and deep plot, but sometimes I'm left dissatisfied for the lack of action
and this week, feeling like I've been punched in the gut
which an episode of Build Fighters cleans up nicely with its fun and battles that never disappoint. Arpeggio has my vote for best OP, but the OST for Build Fighters is second to none.

I hope that after today's episodes, I'll see more Kirishima Bearguy III fanart on pixiv.

IS stuff
Honestly, it doesn't help that they were introduced so quickly. Charlotte at least got some time to separate herself from the rest of the cast and Laura was the villain for a while. Even if they've kinda been assimilated into the harem blob too, they've still kinda retained their own character enough to be distinct. Cecilia and Lin are almost side characters who only exist to provide competition to Houki and the others, and that's a shame for people who are fans of their characters.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of haughty, ojou-sama Yukana, so I'm not a big fan of Cecilia either. Her voice is too squeaky for me at times. I prefer her voicing characters like C.C. and Ai from Amagami.
Cecilia is by far the worst character, so I don't think it's that bad that she's been mostly ignored, particularly in season two. Rin, though? She's not a particularly good character, but I AM starting to feel kind of bad for her... I mean, she's had no segments focused on her so far this season, all of the other girls have gotten her primary ("yandere-tsundere") character trait in that now everyone hits him instead of just her, and she's got nothing to even begin to make up for either of those things. So yeah, while she is one of the weakest characters in the show, and I would much rather see Char and Laura get attention as they have been, it doesn't help her get any better when they give Rin nothing!

Her role in S1 wasn't great either, but it was bigger than it is in S2.

Infinite stratos S2 - 07

Sigh
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n296usan3h6jfi8/larry-mad(b).gif

What are you doing ichika ?
WHAT ARE YOU DOING.
Being the most entertaining harem protagonist ever, that's what!

i'll comment this episode in reverse :

-First
the tournament .
We all know that ichika is denser than adamantium but he is trully master at pushing the right button yet failling to see the critical errors.. this whole misunderstanding with the 5 girls could be easily cleared by 1 simple sentence , but the protagonistis just too dumb to realise that this sentence is needed.
Yeah, it's good old "not saying something critical that it's inexplicable that the character wouldn't say" being dragged out again. It's always kind of stupid, no exception here... but it DID make things amusing, so, I'll forgive them. :)

-Second - Sister???

Same problem here, the information you have is quite critical , "maybe another horimura ?" ..so why aren't you talking to your only familly left . The guy need to see his sister by coincidence and EVEN then , he isn't able to properly ask something that should be clear something like this : " the attacker i met last time told me that her name is .... , sis , do you know what this could mean ?"

Here , simple , clear , precise .. but NOPE he isn't even able to do that .
Well, her response would probably have been the same, so I doubt he'd have gotten any more information out of her that way... but yes, of course he should have been much clearer, and realistically anyone would have been much clearer than that. But the end result probably would be the same denial she gave there.

Third - On the bad guy side

They aren't even hiding the fact that they will betray each other... This is here in this scene that we needed internal monologues, not when cecilia and houki where changing after their exercises !

Fourth - The photo shot

That was like the less intresting photo shot i've seen in anime since ... god know when.
I wonder what the journalist found in this , because there was like no chemistry here , just embarassement.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING houki , wasting yet again a precious moment alone with ichika that wasn't interrupted ( unlike all the other girls )

Anime can you stop shipping houki up in front , if you try to make a harem comedy battle something ? Again , there is no balance in the characters in this anime. Some have way too many scenes , while others are just left behind.
That's true, no balance at all. I have wondered before this season whether they decided on how much each character would get on screen based on popularity polls, or something... so Char and Laura get lots of time, Rin very little, and Houki some but probably less than she did in the first season. That could explain it? Who knows though.

Infinite stratos - 08
I feel like everyone is being stupid in this show

"Why are they so mad ?"
Goodness i had 1 cent each time this protagonist say this line i would be able to purchase a blu-ray player.
There is just so many reason to count i just can't list them all without going past the character limit to post.
I just don't understand HOW , goodness HOW someone could write a character like that.
And what's with the clichés situations, the weird encounters the predictable stuff.
Oh let's discuss the thing that should be secret in the middle of the hall while the girl is half naked ! yeahh GREAT IDEA !
Anime Ichika's the best. The best! No one in the genre has ever matched his denseness, I don't think. He's in a class all of his own. It really is entertaining stuff to see. :)

That is to say, a less stupid character would be much less entertaining!

sigh*

But this episode isn't bad ..it gave us this scene:

Ichika , you deserve it .. Seriously.
I seriously watched this scene 4 times ! It feel so good to see a girl in this show slapping him..Damn
Heh... too bad that most of the episode was about her getting haremized in a VERY generic fashion, though. :(

China is worst girl, though.
This will never be true as long as England exists.

I just want to comment and say that Rin has got to win an award for being the most shafted harem member in anime, for quite some time.

Episode 5 of this season made that clear as day.
That is true, as I agreed with above.

i was actually saying this 2 weeks ago in this same thread but i wasn't up to date with the episodes.. but now it's clear that they aren't gonna change this

She is only the worst girl because we know sh*t about her. she isn't just a childhood friend , she share that aspect with houki. There is like nothing that make her different ( at least going by the anime ) Cecillia is the oujo-sama , houki the "real childhood friend, laura has her delusion and her attitude , same with charlotte , but rin has nothing that make her stand out , nothing "unique" .. heck even the new girl ( or should i say the "new girls" ) have distinct features that make them complete characters.
To say how the author doesn't care, she isn't even in the same classroom as the 4 main girls.
I've already agreed with this at length above, but it has been kind of amazing how much Rin has been ignored this season... it's far, far more true this time than it was in S1. Just because she's one of the less interesting characters now doesn't mean that she deserved to be diluted and ignored. Of course, that dilution, as in the adding of "everyone else now hits him too" to the franchise, is probably the singular worst thing about season two, and that is related to this issue. But even regardless of that, it's certainly not good for Rin. Even Cecelia has gotten more time, and she's just as bad of a character! As you say though, she is a bit more different, being the only rich girl type.

So yeah, in S2, biggest increase in screen time probably goes to Laura, and biggest decrease goes to Rin.

-------------
Infinite stratos S2 - 09

There was some battles and some teamwork , but we didn't see much since the focus was on one battle only , that is yet again a big missed opportunity.
Will ichika EVER manage to keep his energy jauge full ? The guy has the same problem EACH time since season 1. I didn't even see what could have happenned during that fight that could have depleted his energy jauge that way.
I like that this isn't one of the harem action shows where the male MC basically makes the girls irrelevant with how awesome he is... Ichika IS the best one when he's fighting well, since he's male and the lead and they aren't, but he doesn't always do well. It's one of the few things the series occasionally does a decent job at.

This girl had a legitimate reason to be crying and depressed. The thing is she only stayed in this state for 5 minutes only ... that's a new record. I liked that fact that she tried..that's good enough i guess.
This is IS, series of some of the worst writing and characterizations imaginable. That's about the most you could hope for I think.

CorvoSol

I'm really sorry for asking this strange question but...

There is a lot of breast fondling in anime between close female friends regardless of the parties' sexuality. Without getting I to the topic of whether I personally want to see this or not, why isn't there an equivalent act for close male friends... I thought of equivalent scenarios involving male exogenous regions and pens and even scrotum fondling seem a bit much. I don't know if I can rule them out though as possible alternative because the undesirableness of the activity to me leaves me a little bias. Are their any equivalents
DTL
?

Dudes smack each other's butts. It is the only explanation for this. Shut up Hito nobody wants to hear the actual reason for this my insane logic will suffice. Dudes do the butt smack.

AnimeGAF, what anime did you cry the most with? Is there a consensus on saddest anime here?

Personally, I feel either Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop's ending for me.

I cried the most at G Gundam. The saddest anime though is Casshern Sins. If it wasn't for KirbYayoi I'd've needed some therapy after that show.

Gazoinks

AnimeGAF, what anime did you cry the most with? Is there a consensus on saddest anime here?

Being emotionally dead inside, I think the closest I actually got to crying was
Suzuha's incredibly depressing fate
in Steins;Gate. I'm not up to After Story yet, though! Haven't watched Wolf's Rain. Cowboy Bebop's ending was great and emotional, but it wasn't outright tragic enough to make me cry. More heavily melancholy.

Haibane Renmei is an absolutely beautiful series. Its very special.

I love ABe's art too, wish he'd do designs for more shows.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dudes smack each other's butts. It is the only explanation for this. Shut up Hito nobody wants to hear the actual reason for this my insane logic will suffice. Dudes do the butt smack.
I don't watch much overt fujoshi stuff so I wouldn't really know.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Only twice that I can recall:

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 ep. 7
Evangelion ep. 18

both when I was a teenager and more susceptible to feeling extreme emotion while watching stuff. That episode of Evangelion in particular had me seriously freaking out screaming at the television.

zeroshiki

I realize as I've gotten older that its become easier for me to cry while watching media. Whether its because of old age or just the necessary shedding of the need to be cool barrier one puts around themself during their teens, I have become more easily affected by the shows I watch.

CorvoSol

Casshern Sins is so brutal that at times it feels like you have to mock it to avoid being bummed out by how brutal it is.

See the pretty thing? WATCH IT DIE COLD AND ALONE.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I don't know if I could pick one at the 'most' but for me:

Clannad/Clannad: After Story
Toradora!
5 Centimeters Per Second
Voices of a Distant Star
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Kanon

all pull out the stops on feels for me, some more than others.

I'm also currently watching SaiKano right now, and shit's dark and dire. Cajun et al. keep telling me it's really heartcrushing but I'm only like halfway in. I also feel like Golden Time could end up being one too.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

That kind of sucks... male characters need to give lady readers/viewers more fan service... its only fair :(

OceanBlue

That kind of sucks... male characters need to give lady readers/viewers more fan service... its only fair :(

Lol, I think reading shoujo and josei manga will give you a better idea of what female-targeted fanservice looks like.

Gazoinks,
These guys only mean tears of joy... keep watching... its great *thumbs up*.

I thought the question was just crying in general lol. If it's about the most depressing, I'll have to change my answer.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Lol, I think reading shoujo and josei manga will give you a better idea of what female-targeted fanservice looks like.

I thought the question was just crying in general lol. If it's about the most depressing, I'll have to change my answer.

I'd love to but I can't deal with the ntr-effect of Josie content... it cuts deep :'(

Yeah, the most depressing stuff out there are trapped in moments of a few series for me... not necessarily an entire series itself because it occurs when something happens in a storyline that the writer males no attempt to prepare or is unable to by the end. If I were to list them, i'd be some of the most spoilerific stuff so I won't.

fertygo

I realize as I've gotten older that its become easier for me to cry while watching media. Whether its because of old age or just the necessary shedding of the need to be cool barrier one puts around themself during their teens, I have become more easily affected by the shows I watch.

Same here.. I lost count to how many times I cried watching something.. I even tearing a bit looking video where Tyrese Gibson visiting Paul Walker's accident place.

wonzo

Banned
Super Yoyo 19-22 END

superyoyo20.jpg

add this to the top of the list right fukken now or the dead mother will shed tears of yoyos once more and deliver posttraumatic string disorder upon us all

jgminto

I'm really sorry for asking this strange question but...

There is a lot of breast fondling in anime between close female friends regardless of the parties' sexuality. Without getting I to the topic of whether I personally want to see this or not, why isn't there an equivalent act for close male friends... I thought of equivalent scenarios involving male exogenous regions and pens and even scrotum fondling seem a bit much. I don't know if I can rule them out though as possible alternative because the undesirableness of the activity to me leaves me a little bias. Are their any equivalents
DTL
?

No not really. It really sucks too. I think hugging or kissing is the limit to what I've seen.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Tetsugyu's monologue about Daisaku and killing his own father in episode 6 of Giant Robo makes me cry every single time I watch it. and I watch the series almost biannually

Other than that not much.

Watching Soredemo is never the wrong answer.

This is definitely true for me as well. I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point I was able to take drama seriously. I'm not even sure it was about maintaining a cool, composed facade as a kid(at least consciously), but I generally felt drama was a waste of time and would regularly find it almost as funny as I might find a comedy. These days I only laugh when it's done badly.

Gazoinks

And The Town Yet Moves 01

The opening and ending of this show are both really good. Music as a whole seems to be, really.

Pretty fun first episode. Not laugh-out-loud, but still fairly funny, and the central characters seem likable. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully not to Shaft slideshow land. :p

Is the old woman voiced by a man or is she just very gruff?

fertygo

Yozakura Quartet ~ Hoshi no Umi ~ - 09

Delicious sakuga and pantyshot for Yuri, but I wish those pervert animator spare Kohime dammit as hypocrite that sound :(
Great episode like usual, this shaping to be my AOTY.
And The Town Yet Moves 01

The opening and ending of this show are both really good. Music as a whole seems to be, really.

Pretty fun first episode. Not laugh-out-loud, but still fairly funny, and the central characters seem likable. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully not to Shaft slideshow land. :p

Is the old woman voiced by a man or is she just very gruff?

She voiced by Takahiro Sakurai

Vecks

Gundam Build Fighters 9

What a great episode. The whole training sequence and the battles were fun to watch, that ending twist was good, and I loved how expressive they made Bearguy. I hope it gets to star in another episode. Would love to see it return.

Quasar

Shieeeeeeeetttttttt

No way that's for real.. I already prepared to shocked with 7 digit estimate, but that melt my jaw.

I have trouble believing too. But then lots of online things have insane (to me) price tags. I wonder what the hell is meant by 'new channels in new genres'.

Zolf

Surprised to read that the Chernin Group bought a majority stake in Crunchyroll.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/02/us-chernin-crunchyroll-idUSBRE9B10X320131202

Even more surprising is the rumoured price tag.

I've been a subscriber for 2 years and Crunchyroll has not given me any reason to complain. Recently my premium subscription auto-renewed for all access at $100 for 1 year which I didn't want (was waiting for black friday deals), so I contacted their customer service and they refunded it without any trouble. Their streams have been excellent for me, compared to Amazon Instant video which stutters all the time or Funimation Elite Video which was a giant pile of shit (it basically didn't work 40% of the time). Plus they're the only streaming service I've used that gives you the option to select the video quality level, which IMO is much better than the auto-adjust of other streams that always seems to think my broadband isn't capable of HD quality (Amazon is particularly bad in this regard).

cajunator

Banned
I don't know if I could pick one at the 'most' but for me:

Clannad/Clannad: After Story
Toradora!
5 Centimeters Per Second
Voices of a Distant Star
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Kanon

all pull out the stops on feels for me, some more than others.

I'm also currently watching SaiKano right now, and shit's dark and dire. Cajun et al. keep telling me it's really heartcrushing but I'm only like halfway in. I also feel like Golden Time could end up being one too.

Saikano is definitely really dark. The problem is its so unrelentlessly dark that in a way its kinda humorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom