• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

I'm also currently watching SaiKano right now, and shit's dark and dire. Cajun et al. keep telling me it's really heartcrushing but I'm only like halfway in.
It's probably the only anime that explicitly tells you few episodes before the end "If you want a happy ending, stop watching after this episode"

fertygo

Some worth mentioning numbers on this week japanese BD sales

Nekomonogatari (White) Vol. 1 - 36.714
Hidamari Sketch ~ Graduation ~ - 12.929

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 9

yowapeda9.jpg

Hands down the single most hot blooded thing this year. Holy shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All this anime I need to catch up on....
I have about five weeks of Space Bros to watch, three of Non Non, two of the Goldfish Mech show and the Silver Wolf and there's probably something else I'm forgetting.

Need to keep up to see whether they deserve to be in my Anime of the Year list. Speaking of which I'm still happy to do it unless someone else is extremely desperate to do it.

Doggy Poo for $5 is a must buy.
Ha ha what? What the heck is this shit?

cajunator

Banned
I have about five weeks of Space Bros to watch, three of Non Non, two of the Goldfish Mech show and the Silver Wolf and there's probably something else I'm forgetting.

Need to keep up to see whether they deserve to be in my Anime of the Year list. Speaking of which I'm still happy to do it unless someone else is extremely desperate to do it.

Ha ha what? What the heck is this shit?

Doggy Poo is actually a pretty cute movie.

dumbyugi

Black Lion

This was a fun watch. Again not going to write a big review, I can't write them well. The dub was really what made this so entertaining. I love how they kept calling their techniques ninja magic, even though they were just explosions made by lighting up oil or explosives. I think the one thing I really disliked about this movie/ova is how it ended. There is
no explanation for anything
. Why bring up that Oda Nobunaga
had technology from the future if you aren't ever going to bring it up again
? Why
introduce the Black Lion right at the end, it's what the fucking thing was named after
? Overall I enjoyed it less then Dracula but still found it entertaining to watch.

Theonik

Black Lion

This was a fun watch. Again not going to write a big review, I can't write them well. The dub was really what made this so entertaining. I love how they kept calling their techniques ninja magic, even though they were just explosions made by lighting up oil or explosives. I think the one thing I really disliked about this movie/ova is how it ended. There is
no explanation for anything
. Why bring up that Oda Nobunaga
had technology from the future if you aren't ever going to bring it up again
? Why
introduce the Black Lion right at the end, it's what the fucking thing was named after
? Overall I enjoyed it less then Dracula but still found it entertaining to watch.
Garzey's Wing and Dracula are pretty special. Shouldn't compare other things to them. Time for you to watch Laws of Eternity I suppose.

Nordicus

AnimeGAF, what anime did you cry the most with? Is there a consensus on saddest anime here?

Clannad After Story and One Piece.
Dat going merry funeral. fuck. Cried like a baby.
Ya know what, if we talk pure quantity regardless of episode count, then yeah, I'll agree with One Piece. I've cried several times, starting from Sanji saying farewell to the pirate cooks he had known for years

fertygo

Full list for this week BD/DVD sales report
Code:
2013 11/25~12/01 Anime DVD List
*1 (**5) --- 9,991 *,**9,991 **1 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 200% v6
*2 (**8) --- 7,467 *,**7,467 **1 Meitantei Conan Zekkai no Tantei LE
*3 (*14) --- 4,573 *,**4,573 **1 Monogatari Series Second Season v2 (Nekomonogatari Shito Pt. 2)
*4 (*16) --- 4,252 *,**4,252 **1 Meitantei Conan Zekkai no Tantei RE
*5 (*20) --- 3,106 *,**3,106 **1 Brothers Conflict v4
*6 (*28) --- 2,438 *,**2,438 **1 ONE PIECE Episode of Merry LE
*7 (*29) --- 2,400 *,**2,400 **1 Hidamari Sketch Sae Hiro Sotsugyou-hen
*8 (*31) --- 2,254 *,**2,254 **1 To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S v5
*9 (*36) --- 1,873 *,**1,873 **1 High School DxD New v3
10 (*41) --- 1,658 *,**1,658 **1 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. v6
11 (*43) **4 1,622 *,*11,496 **2 Shingeki no Kyojin v5
13 (***) --- 1,297 *,**1,297 **1 Dangan Ronpa v4
14 (***) *38 1,227 1,224,691 623 Tonari no Totoro
15 (***) --- 1,214 *,**1,214 **1 Date A Live v6
16 (***) --- 1,008 *,**1,008 **1 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next v5
17 (***) --- *,994 *,***,994 **1 Kakumeiki Valvrave v6
18 (***) --- *,974 *,***,974 **1 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. v6
19 (***) --- *,882 *,***,882 **1 Servant x Service v4
21 (***) --- *,789 *,***,789 **1 Gin no Saji v3
22 (***) --- *,757 *,***,757 **1 Danbooru Senki Wars v2
24 (***) --- *,722 *,***,722 **1 ONE PIECE Episode of Merry RE
25 (***) --- *,697 *,***,697 **1 Roukyuubu! SS v3
29 (***) --- *,684 *,***,684 **1 Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya v3
30 (***) *80 *,638 *,523,443 569 Majo no Takkyuubin

2013 11/25~12/01 Anime BD List
*1 (**1) --- 36,714 36,714 **1 Monogatari Series Second Season v2 (Nekomonogatari Shito Pt. 2)
*3 (**4) --- 14,187 14,187 **1 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 200% v6
*4 (**5) --- 13,196 13,196 **1 To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S v5
*5 (**6) --- 12,929 12,929 **1 Hidamari Sketch Sae Hiro Sotsugyou-hen
*6 (**7) --- 11,794 11,794 **1 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. v6
*7 (*10) --- *6,709 *6,709 **1 High School DxD New v3
*8 (*12) --- *5,883 *5,883 **1 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. v6
*9 (*13) --- *5,612 *5,612 **1 Date A Live v6
10 (*14) --- *5,474 *5,474 **1 Kin-iro Mosaic v3
-- (*16) --- *5,214 *5,214 **1 Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya v3
-- (*17) --- *5,209 *5,209 **1 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next v5
-- (*18) --- *4,836 *4,836 **1 Meitantei Conan Zekkai no Tantei LE

AnimeGAF, what anime did you cry the most with? Is there a consensus on saddest anime here?

Personally, I feel either Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop's ending for me.

Many anime managed to have one scene that was depressing , and/or very touching .
Only one anime managed to make me cry , it's "full moon wo sagashite" ending.

Yep i cried IRL

Cowboy bebop brought about tears? It constantly and consistently struggled to establish any sort of emotional connection with the viewer as its dubious and messy characters were handled in a distressingly disappointing manner that at EoD no one ought to have cared for them. The ending was anger inducing and the classic example of how to ruin an anime in as little as two minutes.

Angel Beats made and makes me cry the most everytime I rewatch it and such. Why so powerful :(

It's better than nothing. I was about to ask what their incentive was in selling dvd's, then you pointed that out.

The bds have more scenes hd remastered.

Hagi

Question for those watching Yozakura Quartet, when is the best time to watch the OVA? i read (probably in here) that it takes place during the series.

Kittan's final scenes in Gurren Lagann were pretty emotional for me. Have to agree with Bebop and i'll throw Full Metal Alchemist into the mix as well. One Piece is successful in pulling the heart strings as well.

If it had good animation it would have been one of the best eps this year.

But it did. Not Yozakura level, obviously, but still solid, as always with the show, and using some dynamic camera angles and exciting visual tricks. Even the stills were exciting, thanks to smart choices about when to utilize them and how to make them look. (Thank you Dezaki.) That still when Onoda went over the peak was great stuff.'

Notice how it blurs the road, which threatens to dissolve into abstract lines, and how it depicts the wind current rushing around the wheel in several directions, curving around in dramatic spikes. These techniques create the sensation of motion even though nothing is actually moving.

cajunator

Banned
Aimi, Ayane Sakura, Saki Fujita and Asuka Kakumoto join Mikakunin de Shinkōkei cast http://moca-news.net/article/20131203/201312031823a/01/ (plus more character designs)

P.S: Not 100% on the first one, friend says it's Aimi Terakawa.

Team Green

Many anime managed to have one scene that was depressing , and/or very touching .
Only one anime managed to make me cry , it's "full moon wo sagashite" ending.

Yep i cried IRL

Full Moon O Sagashite has one of the best endings in an anime. Im surprised I watched 52 episodes of something to completion but that show is just that great. It wrapped stuff up so perfectly and beautifully. I can see the tearjerker possibilities there.

Hagi

Cowboy bebop brought about tears? It constantly and consistently struggled to establish any sort of emotional connection with the viewer as its dubious and messy characters were handled in a distressingly disappointing manner that at EoD no one ought to have cared for them. The ending was anger inducing and the classic example of how to ruin an anime in as little as two minutes.

Do you generally like your series to end tied up in a little neat bow?

Vito

Banned
I should probably post this in the figure thread but since it's so cheap someone might want to bite here, Yuria Misaki figure is heavily discounted at AmiAmi link. SAL shipping is probably somewhere a bit under 1000 yen and the figure itself is under the EU tax limit. It looks like a lot nicer sculpt than the sold out Yamamoto I own.

cajunator

Banned
I should probably post this in the figure thread but since it's so cheap someone might want to bite here, Yuria Misaki figure is heavily discounted at AmiAmi link. SAL shipping is probably somewhere a bit under 1000 yen and the figure itself is under the EU tax limit. It looks like a lot nicer sculpt than the sold out Yamamoto I own.

Perfectly ok. I post figurine stuff in here sometimes. Its usually anime inspired anyway.

I think the saddest anime moment I've watched would have to be
Euphemia's death scene
in Code Geass. I mean
you've got Suzaku by her side, her forgetting that she just murdered hundreds of innocent people against her will, and the scene constantly switches from Euphemia dying to the angry Japanese, only being further influenced by Lelouch's speech. I mean, dat chanting.
That has got to be one of the most beautifully executed scenes I've ever seen executed in anime. It hit all the right notes IMO.

Team Green

Full Moon O Sagashite has one of the best endings in an anime. Im surprised I watched 52 episodes of something to completion but that show is just that great. It wrapped stuff up so perfectly and beautifully. I can see the tearjerker possibilities there.

YEP YEP YEP , so right , the last 7 episodes were really something ..i also liked the theme and the choice to give up a current hapiness and the ordeal to have a decent future afterwards... i think it was really well done.
Especially the part were she struggled to get her memory and her voce back

It really worked for me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Do you generally like your series to end tied up in a little neat bow?

You mean like bebop?

The presentation of the ending is better than the actual conclusion to the story, which I also found pretty unsatisfying.

Champloo's was much better.

Silky

Banned
I need a new anime for my rotation now that I've kinda sorta dropped Flamenco. I like stupid shows where people punch the shit out of each other or something fantasy-ish.

Or, a better example, Since I've read HxH up to Greed Island, what episode should I start at to continue with the series?

Hard to say with anime since I've seen less than I'd like to. I can't recall a series that I've seen that has gotten me more than somewhat misty eyed. Spirited Away and Wolf Children were close because of how moving they were to me.

Now film is another story all together. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom