• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Delivery just now:
http://i.imgur.com/Q2YPQYul.jpg

Kinda disappointed that there's no way to disable subtitles.

Tetris song LOLOL. Just leave the scene cut out instead, damn it.

Boo at Right Stuf.

This pops up on their Twitter feed

@animetoday: Special Sailor Moon Uncut Blu-ray news: http://stuf.it/RSNews2013

That link goes to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI4FlTMZAR8

Man, the Yamato 2199 US release is kinda looking like a trainwreck...

http://starblazers.com/article/star...ay-2272014pre-order-starts-thursday-12192013/
wubATY5.jpg

Syrinx

I"m waiting on a potential message from group members I'm with for a project I have. If I didn't think we might meet tomorrow I might drink the beer in my fridge and watch Rebirth of Buddha. Will see.

I kinda found Meer sympathetic, so I'm okay with that. Athrun probably only wasn't into her because he was afraid Kira'd snatch that, too.

Which Kira probably did, just to be safe.

Wait ..you make lacus a villain ( i can accept that ), but you find meer sympathetic ?
Meer purpose was .... to make things more complicated than they should... what a waste fo character.

Meer started alright , but would have been so much better if she stopped being a puppet. Instead she was forced out of being a puppet by lacus ( in the most embarassing way possible ) and was discarded like trash. the character went nowhere.

I can't wait for Strike Freedom +

Endy+Lau+-+Strike+Freedom+ExFBM+1.jpg

I kinda found Meer sympathetic, so I'm okay with that.

I actually liked Meer. She actually came across as one of the more "human" characters in the series. I mean whoever hasn't wanted to live out the fantasy of being one of their favorite celebrities or characters at some point in their life?

I was kind of annoyed that she died. She, like lots of characters in destiny, had lots of wasted potential because of retarded writing.

CorvoSol

Wait ..you make lacus a villain ( i can accept that ), but you find meer sympathetic ?
Meer purpose was .... to make things more complicated that they should... what a waste fo character.

Yeah but in a show with characters like Shinn and Stella who are unrepentant asshole morons, someone who, by contrast, is just desperate for love and attention is kind of sympathetic.

I actually liked Meer. She actually came across as one of the more "human" characters in the series. I mean whoever hasn't wanted to live out the fantasy of being one of their favorite celebrities or characters at some point in their life?

I was kind of annoyed that she died. She, like lots of characters in destiny, had lots of wasted potential because of retarded writing.

Yeah I liked Meer. Also that Freedom looks like it is gun heavy.

Getter Robo 11

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I mean, the one threat to Emperor Gore's plans for world conquest is the Getter Robo, right? But I mean, he has an army and an entire planet to conquer. Why not just send his whole army to conquer America at once?

santeesioux

What does it say about me that i can understand most of the Japanese in tonight's Princess Kenny anime spoof of South Park based purely on watching anime?

t1fMzd2.jpg

I am satisfied with my single Yui cameo

To Love Ru Darkness OVA 4

Always happy to see Run.

What with her cute expressions and seeing her spectacular costume (NSFW), there's no way someone wouldn't want to see her. Especially, when a certain malfunction happens.

Thankfully, Kyouko is there to help not only her friends mishap, but to also help with her romance problems. Course, this simply must mean she needs to see her future husband Rito again.

And what better way to get to know him than to spend time with each other inside a locker (NSFW).

Yum.

May have gotten a bit concerned when seeing Yami and her ice cream near the end. But fortunately, nothing happened (NSFW) to warrant any worry over the stuff.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

What the hell is this monstrosity?

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 11

Hikaru is captured by giant space aliens who are maybe going to dissect him or kill him for killing a great number of their friends. His first thought? I'd better tell my female superior officer that a woman's place is in the kitchen! I mean, they're so much cuter that way. And that's what bitches are for, right? Looking cute? Not this haberdashery of women having careers in science and war, no sir.

Meanwhile giant space alien men are still having a hard time figuring out that funny feeling in their pants when they look at this microscopic woman.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 5

Pretty enjoyable stuff. I like how the nerd was the only one who noticed that Sousuke wasn't there.

cajunator

Banned
Every character in Evangelion is the worst character.

except Misato. Shes the best.

Yeah, that was quite the disappointment. Luckily for me, this came in today and turned my week around:

lnPSkYgl.jpg

Someday I will have a good enough setup to enjoy this to the fullest.

jelly. So jelly.

To Love Ru Darkness OVA 4

Always happy to see Run.

What with her cute expressions and seeing her spectacular costume (NSFW), there's no way someone wouldn't want to see her. Especially, when a certain malfunction happens.

Thankfully, Kyouko is there to help not only her friends mishap, but to also help with her romance problems. Course, this simply must mean she needs to see her future husband Rito again.

And what better way to get to know him than to spend time with each other inside a locker (NSFW).

Yum.

May have gotten a bit concerned when seeing Yami and her ice cream near the end. But fortunately, nothing happened (NSFW) to warrant any worry over the stuff.

Yup. Thats a TLRU Darkness episode alright!

Eleuin

Chihayafuru Season 2

Damn they used a lot of "flashbacks" / reused scenes during the second half of the season.

My presumption is that this bombed as hard as the first..

Has madhouse said anything about continuing the series? Where do they even get the money for this?

CorvoSol

I'm not sure if finger sex is magical enough, you'll have to ask your giant alien men.

Look, I'm telling you the boners caused by seeing a swimsuit contest were enough to disrupt fleet morale and originate MULTIPLE prophetic warnings against interfering with planets where men and women had sex.

Heaven help the Zentradi if they were to enter the world of The Flower of Lagrange or Godannar.

Syrinx

Fuck, if we ain't gonna set a time to meet up tomorrow by 11:30 the previous night, then we ain't meeting tomorrow.

Got my beer ready. Time to watch some Buddha being reborn, suckas.

That episode was so sad... :(

I can't say things improve later, but the new characters and storyline sometimes are interesting. It's not all bad, just some of it...

Don't drop it forever, the show is interesting, but I would definitely not ever recommend someone watch it over Lain or Haibane, that's for sure. Those are the two best tv animes ever. This... isn't. It's not terrible, and has some pretty good things about it (I love the attention to detail in the setting, for example), but also some bad things; it's definitely mixed in quality, overall.

"Neo-meisaku"? What's that?

The setting was nice but the characters and overall story was ... just not for me.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 11

So several things.

First of all, the residents of Side 7 must all have been grade a, one hundred and ninety percent, pure-bred morons outside of those who joined the White Base crew. I mean seriously, why would you ever ask to get off of the boat taking you to civilization in the middle of a giant nuclear desert? And then go "Nah, Bright, it's you, the Gundam, and the White Base the Zeon want" and then watch as the dude who says that gets gunned down and then still exit the ship en masse? Like for reals, the people onboard the White Base are like an endless crowd of absolute IDIOTS.

Second of all, Icelina is sort of a flat character. She's only been around two episodes and her love affair with Garma isn't exactly well developed. That said, the scene where she pulls a gun on Amuro in this episode is still really awesome.

Lastly, the Zabi family. They're a great lot of villains. They work so, so, so, so, so, so, so much better than the Titans in Zeta Gundam. Not as well, perhaps, as Haman Khan, but the Zabi family are still leagues ahead of the Titans. Garma, as we've seen, was a cocky, arrogant, spoiled princeling, but not necessarily a bad guy. Dozle himself is a Vice Admiral and as you can tell from his size probably does the bulk of beating the crap out of the Federation. Later on we find out he's a good husband and loving father. Here we see him as a grieving brother and unlike every other person, he's readily aware that Char is to blame for Garma's death. Kycilia is more level-headed than her brutish brother, as she agrees with various points made by the other family members as the conversation goes along, but never picks one side. Ghiren is portrayed as cold and methodical, even as he urges his father to publicize his brother's death for the sake of whipping the nation into a frenzy.

But the crowning jewel for me really is Degwin. I mean he is the ostensible evil emperor of this show. He's the leader of the aggressor side, father of all the other villains minus Char, etc etc etc, but he doesn't come across as evil at all. The first time we see Degwin he's just found out his youngest son is dead. Speechless at this, he drops his cane. This is the man whose evil actions have built the entire Zeon force, the one who murdered his best friend and then named himself his friend's successor and stole his throne. But the Degwin we meet seems no more than an old man, deeply saddened by the place his actions have taken him to. He's no Palpatine, no Davros or anything like that. He's just a sad old man with way more power than normal.

Midonin

A Certain Magical Index The Movie: The Miracle of Endymion
Tower of Babel Records

It's hard to deny the popularity of the science side of things in the Raildex franchise. Railgun sold even more than its parent series, and now Accelerator has his own spinoff manga too. I like Mikoto and her friends a little more (oh the yuri subtext, I love that), but at times I feel like the anime hasn't put that much focus on the magic side of things. Not that magic is underrepresented in anime, but it feels like an entire world left untapped.

Which is why I'm glad this movie found a way to satisfy everybody. Science side fans, magic side fans, fans of idols. A lot of it did look like an ad for Sachika Misawa's album, but the story surrounding it was nicely pleasant. The plot twists were built up to in a fairly natural way and the plot found a way to integrate everybody. With a cast that large, it meant some more minor characters like Komoe or the Misaka sisters were given very few lines, but they pushed the plot forward, and I can appreciate that.

As for Arisa and Shutaura, the main focuses of the movie, I didn't have a problem with them. Good vocal performances from Misawa and Hikasa. (Yoko Hikasa is pretty versatile, I'll give her credit for that.) Ayane Sakura continues to be one of my favorite rising voice actresses, and between this and Tokyo Ravens, she can do a pretty convincing villain role. Even the characters had to comment on the absurdity of a ten-year old
immortal
CEO, but this is anime, things like that are par for the course for me by now.

Seeing Index front and center for a plotline again was also appreciated. It delivered just about everything I'd expect from the series. Action scenes, but with context. Level 0s like Saten getting to be awesome for a few moments. Even things like Stiyl's new elemental witch trio were pretty cute. It was a very well-made movie, and I can't find many problems with it. The central theme of miracles never came across as too cheesy, and the explanation at the end made the whole thing with magic idol singing powers make sense, in a way that's consistent with the world of the show.

The theme songs are the same. Mami Kawada's got some great songs, and all of Misawa's insert stuff was fine. It was a pleasant experience, and since the space elevator has vanished from the skyline, I wonder if the events of this movie will have a role to play in future seasons. Anime original characters like Erii have gone on to influence things, so the possibility of Shutaura coming back isn't out of the question.

Final Thoughts: A showing of the series' greatest strengths, and I more than welcome seeing the magic side in a greater capacity once again. The entire cast of both series is evenly spaced out, and the central plotline has an air of mystery and a good sense of dramatic tension. I'm curious to see what sort of impact it'll have down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom