• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

g8q8Aki.jpg

She's still the best girl.

Full Metal Panic! 3

One moment you're sneaking around a girl's apartment trying to steal her panties, the next you're nerding out about mechs with a guy who just had a gun pointed straight at your head. Life's strange like that.

Looks like the wheels are about to get into motion.

This isn't going to come into play for a very long time, and I don't feel like it is particularly spoilers, but I'm going to mark it as such anyway as it does happen at a significant juncture in Sousuke's character development post-anime:
I actually really enjoy how a lot of what Sousuke and Kaname do as comic hijinks ultimately takes a much, much darker turn. Like at first it's comic explosions and getting smacked upside the head, but where I am, near the end of the story, Sousuke points out to her that his hijinks were signs he had no idea what living a normal civilian life is like, and that her physical and verbal abuse in response over the course of their entire relationship makes him question if she's really worth all the pain he endures for her sake.

No but seriously FMP is my favorite anime ever and I will go on about this show for hours if you let me.

I never noticed this, Kira is so badass.

Meyrin Hawke, You're next

I'd say technically Cagalli is. I mean for crying out loud Kira all but exercised King's Right on her wedding night at the point of his Gundam. And of course that becomes much more frightening when you remember she's his sister, he is Jesus Christ, and also Lacus is the one holding his leash.

Kansoku

Why would you have a dream inside another,essentially, dream sequence? All it does is provide some half-assed shock drama and burn what remains of the show's running time. The twist itself isn't properly executed as the moment we see Mirai touching zombie Akihito, the twist is ruined. However the show then keeps on running with the thing and wasting time despite the now obvious twist incoming, such as the completely unnecessary pool sequence, which only serves to provide fanservice at that point. Now you could say that the dream sequence was necessary for Akihito to realize that Mirai has feelings for him but why does this have to be done inside a dream sequence instead of Mirai in person telling him her feelings or Akihito realizing himself that he loves her. Instead the dream is a lazy vehicle for the show to express the emotions of Mirai to Akihito but without having to do it with the actual character. The seasons also jumping around like crazy doesn't make the sequence any easier to follow. Instead of trying to legit shock the viewer by keeping one tone and breaking it at the end or building up tension to the twist happening, it falls flaccid. So we're now 10 minutes into the episode in a sequence we already know is some sort of illusion bullshit.

Dude,
Mirai is "dead". She sacrificed herself in order to remove KnK from Akihito. He was then hospitalized, since he's 99.9% human material. Due to 0.1% of him being Mirai's blood in his dreams, while he was in the hospital, Mirai's consciousness (Well, part of it) was talking to him.
The thing is, she didn't die, die. She disappeared the moment she "absorbed" KnK, so that winter scenes (especially the last one, where Mirai is running towards a big giant blue ball in the sky, as she says she found KnK's core), I assume are like the Hollow Shadow: she's inside KnK, in order to kill it.

Basically, Summer = Dream, Fall = Reality, Winter = In Beyond the Boundary

cnet128

Banned
Do we have any news on the New JoJo ED because I just realised they could just cheap out and use the infinitely superior Laibach cover of Get Back instead.

what the fuck did I just listen to (the beginning of and then immediately close the tab once I came to my senses)?

Kyoukai no Kanata 10

Wait...what is this? This episode was...good? I don't understand. Am I watching a different show? Is it actually the Summer anime season right now, or the Winter anime season, and Kyoukai no Kanata isn't actually airing? I thought it was Fall? Was that all just a dream? Does Kyoukai no Kanata even exist?

(That OP transition at the beginning of the episode was legit wonderful btw)

cajunator

Banned
yup. dropped. back to lain.

good move

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 2

So this train journey was leading to what exactly? What did the bomb have to do with anything? All I know is that the next episode aired at 2:45 am which means that the vast majority of the population didn't watch this.

The idea of this show was the characters were traveling through books Neverending story style. It was written so badly that it doesnt make any sense and thats why it is amazing. But it gets so much better!

2-3 weeks til Wolf Children BR! :D

I already have it. Need to sit down and watch it though.

Kansoku

Kyoukai no Kanata 10

Wait...what is this? This episode was...good? I don't understand. Am I watching a different show? Is it actually the Summer anime season right now, or the Winter anime season, and Kyoukai no Kanata isn't actually airing? I thought it was Fall? Was that all just a dream?

(That OP transition at the beginning of the episode was legit wonderful btw)

I see what you did there.

Jarmel

Banned
Dude,
Mirai is "dead". She sacrificed herself in order to remove KnK from Akihito. He was then hospitalized, since he's 99.9% human material. Due to 0.1% of him being Mirai's blood in his dreams, while he was in the hospital, Mirai's consciousness (Well, part of it) was talking to him.
The thing is, she didn't die, die. She disappeared the moment she "absorbed" KnK, so that winter scenes (especially the last one, where Mirai is running towards a big giant blue ball in the sky, as she says she found KnK's core), I assume are like the Hollow Shadow: she's inside KnK, in order to kill it.

Basically, Summer = Dream, Fall = Reality, Winter = In Beyond the Boundary

I'm aware of what happened. The
dream sequence stuff is stupid and doesn't serve any valuable purpose, in that the show could have used a different means to get the point across, other than making the episode disjointed. The execution is severely lacking and the dream sequence stuff is ill placed in the position of the episode.

Akihito is essentially having a dream inside a dream. They pull some Inception shit and there isn't a good reason to do so.

Hunter x Hunter 107

Morau fight was very Morau. He just loves to stay calm as fuck and defeat his opponents while they don't even realise he's doing anything. Seriously, though, just how the fuck
big must his lungs be
?!

Palm interlude was very filled with hopelessness and futility. I mean, there was a little hope spot in the middle there, but really. It was never going to happen. Remember who we're dealing with here.
Also did she actually get sexed by that creep? I really kind of hope she knocked him out before anything happened because ewwwwwwwww. Even Palm doesn't deserve that.

And then Killua did what Killua does best, which is being amazing. The segue into the ending theme felt particularly appropriate in this episode.

Palm
drugged him before he was able to do anything. She came in the room with the drinks and they worked... She probably lowered his guard before he drank the drugged drink , but i'm pretty sure nothing happenned on that end.

Gundam Seed End

Well I wanted to finish this before I start studying for my finals tomorrow. But man, what a journey.

I really enjoyed this. The bromance between Athrun and Kira was almost bigger than their love for their respective waifus. Lacus is awesome. Kira is like Simon from the first part of Gurren Lagann. Very capable but a massive crybaby. That's not necessarily bad but it makes me think he may have not been that well liked.

I hated Flay for like 80% of the show but she grew on me, especially in the ending. To be honest the romantic aspect was done better in this than in Macross Frontier. In the latter they focused too much on the fact it was a triangle and little to no development was done.

I'd give it a 7.5/10. Depending on how the rest of today goes I might consider Seed Destiny, even if it seems like it ruined whatever good the first series did. But I can't ignore a canon continuation.

RIP Mu La Flaga. You were best character :'(

Kansoku

I'm aware of what happened. The
dream sequence stuff is stupid and doesn't serve any valuable purpose, in that the show could have used a different means to get the point across, other than making the episode disjointed. The execution is severely lacking and the dream sequence stuff is ill placed in the position of the episode.

Akihito is essentially having a dream inside a dream. They pull some Inception shit and there isn't a good reason to do so.

It is stupid. If they
made clear that it was a dream right from the start, didn't mix it with other scenes, and made it consistent (aka no pool scene), it would have been so much better. The thing is, the only other way for them to show Akihito what Mirai felt, it would be when they will obvious meet on the KnK, and that is reserved for the big cliché scene of them getting together.

But I don't see where are coming from saying that it's
dream inside a dream.

Jarmel

Banned
It is stupid. If they
made clear that it was a dream right from the start, didn't mix it with other scenes, and made it consistent (aka no pool scene), it would have been so much better. The thing is, the only other way for them to show Akihito what Mirai felt, it would be when they will obvious meet on the KnK, and that is reserved for the big cliché scene of them getting together.

But I don't see where are coming from saying that it's
dream inside a dream.

When Akihito 'wakes' up, he's still inside his body/sub-consciousness. That's why there's that stupid globe/Earth above him. Also in the previews, he's wandering around the streets and nobody is there, not to mention he meets up with Mirai.

Gundam Seed End

Well I wanted to finish this before I start studying for my finals tomorrow. But man, what a journey.

I really enjoyed this. The bromance between Athrun and Kira was almost bigger than their love for their respective waifus. Lacus is awesome. Kira is like Simon from the first part of Gurren Lagann. Very capable but a massive crybaby. That's not necessarily bad but it makes me think he may have not been that well liked.

I hated Flay for like 80% of the show but she grew on me, especially in the ending. To be honest the romantic aspect was done better in this than in Macross Frontier. In the latter they focused too much on the fact it was a triangle and little to no development was done.

I'd give it a 7.5/10. Depending on how the rest of today goes I might consider Seed Destiny, even if it seems like it ruined whatever good the first series did. But I can't ignore a canon continuation.

Always great to see fellow gaffer enjoying Gundam SEED. I watched it first time when I was like 16 and (maybe because of that) it has remained as my favorite anime since. Destiny is kinda bad yes but I suppose you can enjoy it as a trainwreck. 16 years old me loved Destiny too lol. As for your spoiler text: lol.... just watch Destiny.

Kansoku

When Akihito 'wakes' up, he's still inside his body/sub-consciousness. That's why there's that stupid globe/Earth above him. Also in the previews, he's wandering around the streets and nobody is there, not to mention he meets up with Mirai.

Oh that explains it. I didn't see the PV :p
Then yeah, the fuck KyoAni?

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 3

So in this one they sort of explain the book thing with Hatzuki and Lilith going into a couple of books and doing nothing. Also a bunch of filters were used with a light with the power of a million suns. This crap was covering most of the screen at some points, it just looked really tacky. Not sure if this is nearly as bad as Gun-dou Musashi's stock photo backgrounds though.

Theonik

M.D. Geist
There is very little to say about this, the most dangerious OVA is a pretty good description.
Dangerious action. Dangerious music. (That kageyama) and a dangerious amount of sakuga. Those designs too. Hnnngh.

M.D. Geist II: Deathforce
ibdnC8pcoxemdx.png

Not even giving a damn
I would argue that the this episode was more dangerious than the last although admittedly it wasn't near as good. That is mostly attributed to being mostly incoherent and having editing that makes me thing the people responsible for the job were on ecstasy.
Nevertheless, it did offer some nice action and the production values were mostly higher than the original though its highlight was probably the opening scene like damn.

But yeah if you like 80s violence, sakuga, robots or Kageyama watch this.
Edit: actually now that I think about it Geist basically wanted Big Boss's world if you think about it.

zeroshiki

Gundam Seed End

@spoiler: yeah... about that...

cajunator

Banned
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito: Episode 3

So in this one they sort of explain the book thing with Hatzuki and Lilith going into a couple of books and doing nothing. Also a bunch of filters were used with a light with the power of a million suns. This crap was covering most of the screen at some points, it just looked really tacky. Not sure if this is nearly as bad as Gun-dou Musashi's stock photo backgrounds though.

Your journey to enlightenment continues. Pay attention to characters introduced. You probably wont see them again.

Always great to see fellow gaffer enjoying Gundam SEED. I watched it first time when I was like 16 and (maybe because of that) it has remained as my favorite anime since. Destiny is kinda bad yes but I suppose you can enjoy it as a trainwreck. 16 years old me loved Destiny too lol. As for your spoiler text: lol.... just watch Destiny.

@spoiler: yeah... about that...

lol I'd be more pissed about your implications, but by all means I'm a bit happy if I'm reading your responses correctly. I think my appetite for space battles was opened up again w/ this. Might watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes after finishing SEED Destiny. in chronological order as I understand there's movies and OVA's

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 4

This Gauron dude is not to be fucked around with.

I think if the show can keep a good flow between more intense episodes like this (as well as the next one, in all likeliness) and the lighter, more hijinks focused episodes they've had leading up to this, it'll make for a good watch.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 4

This Gauron dude is not to be fucked around with.

I think if the show can keep a good flow between more intense episodes like this (as well as the next one, in all likeliness) and the lighter, more hijinks focused episodes they've had leading up to this, it'll make for a good watch.

You are in for a good watch!

Owwari

Banned
Kyoukai No Kanata 10

So what's going on here? Why is there an OTP pairing on a non-romantic series and what's more, completely IGNORING the other main heroine. Jesus Christ KyoAni, can you ever do something well?
Somehow glasses girl got "redeemed" but I don't seem to grasp it at all. She's still the same old plain, annoying, one directional character somehow stealing every episode's time and resources.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster only lists like 36 episodes in the youtube page. Are you trying to tell me this series had 14 episodes of recap? Jesus and I used to think 2 was too many.

Jesus I just used every variation of the sound "to" in one sentence.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 12

I saw Baron Asura naked.

Not like this. Never like this. You do not pay homage to the Char shower scene this way.

Not like this. What did I ever do to you, Imagawa?

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster only lists like 36 episodes in the youtube page. Are you trying to tell me this series had 14 episodes of recap? Jesus and I used to think 2 was too many.

Jesus I just used every variation of the sound "to" in one sentence.

I don't think Sunrise has put all the episodes up on Youtube yet. I think there is 1 or 2 recap episodes in the show. can't really remember since my brain has done a good job at blocking out all my memories of Destiny for my own sanity.

zeroshiki

When Lacus'
father died
and she just randomly ran crying into the arms of near-stranger Ultimate Coordinator Kira Yamato for comfort instead of, oh say her fiance, I thought to myself "this woman knows what she wants."

That's a relief. I assumed as much since the same page had only 48 episodes for SEED, which would mean they didn't even bother remastering the recap episodes.

They still have the infamous "ghost chest" recap episode from destiny.

And you can bet your ass that the Meer recap will be in there, fully reanimated even, with all kinds of delicious oppai. A lot of the reanimation has focused on Meer-kinda like what they did with Flay in SEED HD.

The hotel scence with Meer's nipples shown is probably the only thing worth note to come out of the HD Destiny remake.

... If I can't hack it, I'll go back to watching lain or haibane.

Ep 6

That was so ... terrible.
That episode was so sad... :(

I can't say things improve later, but the new characters and storyline sometimes are interesting. It's not all bad, just some of it...

yup. dropped. back to lain.
Don't drop it forever, the show is interesting, but I would definitely not ever recommend someone watch it over Lain or Haibane, that's for sure. Those are the two best tv animes ever. This... isn't. It's not terrible, and has some pretty good things about it (I love the attention to detail in the setting, for example), but also some bad things; it's definitely mixed in quality, overall.

There have been a cruel lack of neo-meisaku anime series since the turn of the century. It's always comforting to get one from time to time, however flawed they may be.
"Neo-meisaku"? What's that?

CorvoSol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67011621&postcount=7970

I would even chip on a kickstarter to see that happen in a SEED movie.

I can't wait for Strike Freedom +

They still have the infamous "ghost chest" recap episode from destiny.

And you can bet your ass that the Meer recap will be in there, fully reanimated even, with all kinds of delicious oppai. A lot of the reanimation has focused on Meer-kinda like what they did with Flay in SEED HD.

The hotel scence with Meer's nipples shown is probably the only thing worth note to come out of the HD Destiny remake.

I kinda found Meer sympathetic, so I'm okay with that. Athrun probably only wasn't into her because he was afraid Kira'd snatch that, too.

Which Kira probably did, just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom