• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Kyousougiga 08

"This is what playing house has got us into!" Head priest describes the conflict like a boss.

This show has done a really great job of transitioning between funny, sad, and dramatic without it seeming schizophrenic at all. This was probably the most dramatic episode yet.

The characterization of the parents has been really well done. I like that, while they're clearly good people, they're not perfect like, say, the parents in The Eccentric Family (mostly the dad). They're people.

Episode pv:
Everyone being all happy and then Myoue Prime stabs Koto. What.
Next episode next episode go go.

wonzo

Banned
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 9

One of my biggest complaints with the manga series was how it pretty much ignored Zakuro for several chapters after all the shit that went down which really killed most of the emotional attachment to seeing her getting use to life in the town so it was nice to see them skip all the bullshit and just shift the focus on her for the first half of the episode.

Second half was just absolutely bananas though. Goddamn.

Crocodile

Jojo is a property I've never really consumed but I've been aware just due to general osmosis of Japanese entertainment culture that happens when you watch alot of anime. I've seen the Dio vs. Jotaro OVA fight years back but without context all it was was a cool (very cool granted) spectacle. The fact that it's been going on for about 20 years, to my understanding, and is popular enough to leave its mark throughout Japanese entertainment culture has continued to peak my interest over the years. The whole IP seems to exude a sense of swag and hot-blood that makes it seem like it would be something I'd enjoy. I'm not one to read much manga so I never got around to actually reading it. Recently I started watching the 2012 anime and have recently finished the Phantom Blood arc.

I can see a lot of the groundwork that I think the series eventually builds upon and is well known for this this arc - Over the top villains, crazy action, lots of manly shouting, weird fighting style and techniques, etc. I know this was written back in the late 80s (I think) so I have to evaluate the series with that in mind. That is to say a lot of the shonen tropes you often see nowadays were much less worn out back when this was first written. What kind of struck me was how awkward the writing and pacing were and how awful the actual animation tended to be. The show had style in spades but the animation was often so bad I had a hard time making out the action from time to time. From my understanding, this is a pillar of the Japanese shonen genre. You'd think they'd spend the big bucks when making this, not cheap out :/

As for the writing, I often feel people would show up or know things with little explanation. Like
Dire, Straights, et al.
showing up just seemed super random.
Zeppeli and Jonathon
sure liked taking their sweet time dying :/ Also, holy shit could the show drown you in exposition. Don't recall it being so "thick" in other shonen I've seen (but again I know this arc is very old so different standards and all that). Like from my understanding Speedwagon is a popular character right? I just found him annoying and overbearing. Like he means well but he barely contributed anything to the effort to fight Dio and I'm not chastising him for not being a fighter either. He just spends every episode explaining what I can plainly see and saying "I wish I could help"! Again, I know this is old school shonen but it was pretty annoying. At least with the time skip and continent change it means he's gone now :)

Now I know I've been very negative. After watching the Phantom Blood arc I found out they basically condensed 7 volumes into 9 episodes so I'm sure that negatively affected the writing. If this was all there was to Jojo's I could understand some of the appeal but would have a hard time figuring out why it ever became so popular. However, I'm aware there is more and while I don't know exact details it still exudes that aura of hot-blood and swag that looks appealing to me. Furthermore, everyone who is well versed in Jojo seems to consider the Phantom Blood arc mediocre to straight up bad so I suppose my feelings aren't unwarranted. I hear for example the protagonist of Part II, Joesph, is especially awesome. Long story short, I see the foundation of the franchise in Phantom Blood and while I wasn't super impressed with the arc, the show/IP still looks like something I'd grow to really enjoy and thus will push forward with Part II and if I like that make sure to catch Part III when it airs next year :)

Vito

Banned
Rightstuf day 4 deals: House of Five Leaves manga bundle looks tempting... Edit: lol damn, when I refreshed there was no post above mine :D

duckroll

Nobunaga the CG:

QXaHfRS.jpg

7rzNHb3.jpg

Gazoinks

Clannad 21

Obligatory last minute drama go! Go go! I don't actually mind this time though because the characters are mostly done being stupid and boring. Protip:
If you have a (really not particularly big) secret you think would ruin your daughter and have poorly hidden it... Maybe find a way to tell her gently instead of letting it fester. Seriously.

Man, it's almost like I actually like Nagisa in this arc.

Kyoukai no Kanata 10

Hm, I kinda liked it. The twist in the middle was pretty nice and really wasn't as drama filled as I expected it to be.

Rightstuf day 4 deals: House of Five Leaves manga bundle looks tempting... Edit: lol damn, when I refreshed there was no post above mine :D

Sorry, I have been posting these updates since the first day.

Ehhh. Nothing I really want. Guess I should be happy I'm not throwing around my money for myself during the holidays.

New items will be added daily until December 14, so there could be something you want in the coming days. And don't forget the Black Friday deals are still available too!

Syrinx

The Rebirth of Buddha

Haha, dem CG angels...

Anyway, this wasn't as fun as the first Happy Science movie. Needed Hitler. Have to say it's a bit disturbing how this creates an actual figure and cult of personality in Master Sorano. It was a bit different from God Eagle or Angel Edison in that he's basically this actual human figure.

The dub was a bit funnier though. I like the Australian guy. And Yuki sounded really amateurish. And Sayako's newspaper club mates, goddamn.

What's the next one?

Mature

New items will be added daily until December 14, so there could be something you want in the coming days. And don't forget the Black Friday deals are still available too!
Oh, trust me, I'm there every day. And the day the R.O.D BD set goes on sale, I'll finally take the plunge and never have to feel inferior to Cajun again.
(I know it's out of print =/)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Chuunibyou episode 8
you know, there doesnt seem to be any noticeable harem going on, just yuutaXrikka, not even a love triangle, this is honestly refreshing especially considering I was fully expecting this to be a harem anime.

Vito

Banned
Sorry, I have been posting these updates since the first day.

That's why I refreshed. I happened to be up, doesn't really matter since the updates are the same time of day. Took the time to scroll through what they were offering, thankfully aside from House of Leaves bundle which is slightly tempting, not much else of interest. I also notice some of the items aren't bundled this year.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Rebirth of Buddha

Haha, dem CG angels...

Anyway, this wasn't as fun as the first Happy Science movie. Needed Hitler. Have to say it's a bit disturbing how this creates an actual figure and cult of personality in Master Sorano. It was a bit different from God Eagle or Angel Edison in that he's basically this actual human figure.

The dub was a bit funnier though. I like the Australian guy. And Yuki sounded really amateurish. And Sayako's newspaper club mates, goddamn.

What's the next one?
Golden Laws

Gazoinks

And Yet The Town Moves 04

Moriaki is a crazy person. Pi is his woman. It's great how he and Hotori play off of each other because of their equally ridiculous thought processes.

I swear the opening and ending of this show are the catchiest things ever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Girls Und panzer 1

Started watching girls und panzer after a long period of not watching anime at all.

I absolutely loathe the main character already.

Antiwhippy

Loathing is a pretty strong reaction.

It's appropriate for how I feel about her.

I dislike her character archetype and it seems like she's the epitome of that. Or maybe it's because I haven't watched many shows that has her character type in awhile.

Still, will continue to watch. The premise is pretty funny and I need something cute to watch.

sonicmj1

It's appropriate for how I feel about her.

I dislike her character archetype and it seems like she's the epitome of that. Or maybe it's because I haven't watched many shows that has her character type in awhile.

Still, will continue to watch. The premise is pretty funny and I need something cute to watch.

If you hate her because she doesn't want to get involved in awesome tank battles, that goes away really quickly and never comes back.

Antiwhippy

If you hate her because she doesn't want to get involved in awesome tank battles, that goes away really quickly and never comes back.

Nah, I hate her because she seems to be that ditzy, happy about being klutzy character that Japan seems to find to be cute yet to me seems absolutely moronic. Also super generic.

Nordicus

Kyousogiga 8

Damn, even Lady Koto's had enough of Inari's ever calm attitude. I really want to see the next episode fucking ASAP, because I wanna know
why on earth would saving Mirror Kyoto require a duel between Inari and Koto?

Great episode. It's really heart-warming how Myoue is always there as emotional support for Koto. He's such a softie

Kyousogiga 8

Damn, even Lady Koto's had enough of Inari's ever calm attitude. I really want to see the next episode fucking ASAP, because I wanna know
why on earth would saving Mirror Kyoto require a duel between Inari and Koto?

Great episode. It's really heart-warming how Myoue is always there as emotional support for Koto. He's such a softie

episode is too real.

Branduil

Space Dandy dub cast:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2861

Dandy

Junichi Suwabe

Ian Sinclair

QT

Uki Satake (9nine)

Alison Viktorin

Meow

Hiroyuki Yoshino

Joel McDonald

Dr. Gel

Unsho Ishizuka

J. Michael Tatum

Bea

Kosuke Hatakeyama

Micah Solusod

Perry

Banjo Ginga

Kent Williams

Honey

Yurin

Alexis Tipton

Scarlet

Hoko Kuwashima

Colleen Clinkenbeard

Narrator

Masaaki Yajima

R Bruce Elliott

Also official confirmation of the January 4th airing date.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga Episode 8:

Now this is more like it, if the entire series had been this then it would have been the AOTY. Indeed, we are finally done with spinning our wheels on recycled footage and prequel contextualization. Though we are not done with the backstory, always with the backstory. Anyway, it is the evening of the final day and the real stakes have been laid out and more of the truth has been unfurled and for the first time in many a week, I want to actually see what happens next.

Jintor

The more Log Horizon I watch, the more in love I fall with its ruined post-apocolyptic forest Tokyo setting that doesn't really relate in any way to the plot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom