• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 9

Mm, yes, I do like the pace this is moving at. Glad to see they're not wasting any time getting to the heart of this whole matter, and asking exactly the questions I was hoping they would ask (most notably "what's up with those explosions?") Interesting how King Torture and all his minions seem to be completely open about the fact that they're
playing out the villain tropes to a T on purpose
, with the man himself even going to far as to
invoke those tropes explicitly as he invites Samurai Flamenco to a "final showdown", even though he must know that those tropes dictate he has to lose that final showdown.
Still not sure what the heck their ultimate objective is.

And yes, I do think it's a great relief that
the most obvious candidate for he man behind King Torture's mask is seemingly out of the running, having been tortured by King Torture himself. I won't rule out the possibility of it still being him all along due to some kind of crazy tweest, but it does at least seem significantly less likely now.

jediyoshi

Samurai Flamenco 9

Wasn't as fun as the last episode. I don't think a tonal shift here is bad, just that it comes way too soon after the end of episode 7 for me to really bask in what the show was doing at that point. And besides,
how can you start preparing for a final showdown with King Torture when he only appeared for the first time two episodes ago?

I think the viewer expectation after episode 7 and the tonal shifts back and forth were very deliberate. In the same way that people were amped to see what happened after 7 because the stakes were so high, starting at 8 we instead just see them completely handling really weak enemies and are disappointed.

Likewise they mirror this in the show by having samumuenco and especially mari get bored and wanting crazier things to happen, which for them is obviously at odds with what their end goal should be.

vdAysOp.jpg
izLZiQQ.jpg

White Album 2 3

Love rivals meet for the first time.

They could not have made it anymore obvious that Touma has feelings for Haruki.

Already got her to join. Glad they didn't try stretching that out with her as well.

Tenumi

Banned
Forced Anime Hiatus is getting pretty bad... I'm going to have to watch something soon...

I don't think it's safe for one magical girl to shoot their magic beam into another's vagoo, frankly.

Do they have to be in their magical girl form when they/re having sex for it to count?

I feel like I missed an interesting discussion...

It's time!?

Blue is apparently a witch.

Some HappinessCharge Precure shit

幸野 心音 Kouno Kokone (Cure Lovely)
姫野 雅 Himeno Miyabi (Cure Princess)
吉良 ほたる Kira Hotaru (Cure Honey)

Purple is rumored to be Cure Fortune.

I can't figure out a theme... besides femininity, maybe.

You can't beat the original.

ibwPW7KCbs6Yfu.png

I can't even... what.

Syrinx

I think the viewer expectation after episode 7 and the tonal shifts back and forth were very deliberate. In the same way that people were amped to see what happened after 7 because the stakes were so high, starting at 8 we instead just see them completely handling really weak enemies and are disappointed.

Likewise they mirror this in the show by having samumuenco and especially mari get bored and wanting crazier things to happen, which for them is obviously at odds with what their end goal should be.

I think they could have had crazier things happen without
setting up a "final battle" with Torture King, though.
That just seems like blowing your load way too soon.

Kazzy

There are quite a few people who don't like the military segments but I think the serious components actually work extremely well in the context of the show.

But that's just it, I don't think that it does. It manages to get it right sometimes, but that whole middle-act, urgh. It just sapped so much enthusiasm from me.

I also recently rewatched the early parts of the show and they do properly foreshadow something being off with Chidori. There were scenes of her muttering stuff when she woke up. A lot of the stuff that is a deux ex machina at that stage of the show does turn out to bite some of the characters in the ass later.

Like I mentioned, it feels like a convenient excuse on their part. They reference it once or twice, and then it's almost completely forgotten about until the very end. Those details don't excuse the fact that the reveals are extremely ham-fisted, and essentially are delivered via a scene of conspicuous exposition-dumping. I thought that it was executed poorly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kill la Kill 10
The fight scenes in this series continue to be pretty lame. With standard attacks being largely meaningless there's kind of just empty swathes of the fight where characters kind of flail at each other. The formula for how fights play out is too ingrained, but that stuff is magnified when you have the characters sparring on the same boring platform in this super spartan environment. The heavy telegraphing of distant events helps to cement just how dull this series is, as though Kill la Kill has become so bored with the current scene and happenings that it has to run off to set up future projected side stories just to keep itself engaged.

The singular tone is really beginning to grow wearisome. There is no strategy or thought to Ryuko's actions, she is simply pounding on the door. The one character who had the opportunity to elevate some kind of strategic element to the show was quickly snubbed out as awkward new attachments and powers are continuously piled on to Ryuko to instantly secure unearned victories.

Crocodile

Kill la Kill 10

djEMRNc.gif

I just lost my shit when I saw this O_O. Nonon fight was also hilarious (though it could have been better with regards to choreography) but the lady is too stronk. If Gamagori and "Glasses" are 3 stars, she should be like a 4 or 5 star given what she can do. Overall great episode, I felt it went by super fast and was left really wanting more. As I often state though, my biggest gripe with the show is the budget and the the implications it has for the fight scenes. Music also seemed underpar and I say that as someone who generally likes the OST. I'm also curious as to what happened to Satsuki between the innocent little Satsuki we saw in Episode 3 and the kindergartener we saw in this episode. I really hope the show fills in the blanks between those years.

Samurai Flamenco 9

I have no idea what this show is doing. I mean the tonal shifts are obviously intentional but I can't say they are particularly well executed, at least at this point. Episode 7 we get bodies hitting the floor and then in Episode 8 and the beginning of 9 we have comedy villains that would be laughed out of a Power Rangers show. Then the second half of this episode, more real shit goes down. I also have no idea how the show is going to handle escalation. Like is King Torture supposed to be an alien/using alien tech? A final battle in episode 9 out of 24-26? Unless people start developing super powers I dunno how they are going to fill in the rest of this cour and the next. Also what's the deal with the Torture Boys? They show up along side most of the monsters. Do they all just run away and escape the police? You'd think one would have been caught and questioned at this point. Of course, with this show who even knows if they are human.

Also Mari is the WORST. Holy shit is she awful in every sense of the world. Wouldn't be surprised if her stupidity ends up killing her as the show searches for another crazy plot twist :/

Samurai Flamenco 9

The twist is Goto's girlfriend is King Torture.

This show is stupid enough to go that direction :p
It should happen. Every time a plot choice could be made that sounds retarded, this show should take that option. It's the only way it can achieve greatness.

7Th

Kill la Kill 10There is no strategy or thought to Ryuko's actions, she is simply pounding on the door. The one character who had the opportunity to elevate some kind of strategic element to the show was quickly snubbed out as awkward new attachments and powers are continuously piled on to Ryuko to instantly secure unearned victories.

It's not "high strategy",
but she came up with the idea of putting all the "clothing" on Senketsu's eyes so they would cover the entire arena; it's essentially the same as that "let's cut out really thin parts of Senketsu and use them to cover Uzu's eyes" thing she did a few episodes ago. She didn't really pound up at Nonon either; she tried to bring her down to the arena before she went insane with the beamspam. She didn't anything as dumb as the "let's attack Gamagori until I get to the center like a Tutsi Pop" last week.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sam Flam 9

This series has my interest so hard simply because it fearlessly keeps flipping its own script on its head.

Its so good!!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not "high strategy",
but she came up with the idea of putting all the "clothing" on Senketsu's eyes so they would cover the entire arena; it's essentially the same as that "let's cut out really thin parts of Senketsu and use them to cover Uzu's eyes" thing she did a few episodes ago. She didn't really pound up at Nonon either; she tried to bring her down to the arena before she went insane with the beamspam. She didn't anything as dumb as the "let's attack Gamagori until I get to the center like a Tutsi Pop" last week.
Maybe I missed something (or just wasn't paying attention), but as far as I know Senketsu growing to that extent is more or less a new power rather than an existing one repurposed in a strategic manner. My point is not that Ryuko literally pounds away recklessly (although she does always try that first), but that every act is simply a display of brute force often amplified by some new made up power on the spot that gives the show wiggle room for Senketsu to overcome a new challenge.

It's not like this is the only problem the fight scenes in Kill la Kill have. There is little back and forth between the combatants when it comes to both the action itself as well as the banter. Ryuko feels increasingly hollow as a character when she doesn't really have much of an impact on the fights. Mostly silent Senketsu is her brawn, but almost all of the recent fights have been little more than a vehicle to delve into unnecessary backstory. These fights offer some insight into character backstory, but it feels out of context and doesn't draw back to Ryuko in any manner.

Kill la Kill 10

Was already teased back at Episode 4, but these two really do make for an entertaining pair when they interact with each other.

True highlight though was
Tsumugu
appearance. Shit is going to be awesome.

No longer interested in Ryuko's fights after being disappointed that Inumuta lost so quickly and Nonon fight is BS topped with more BS from Ryuko. I know that happens alot, but I usually don't mind if its entertaining, which it wasn't.

Also, I might be reading too much Akame ga Kiru! if the first thing that I thought after seeing this scene was "Deathflag for Mako".

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Question. If I were to watch one of the Happy Science films which would be the best one to watch?

Laws of Eternity is always the one to watch when you're starting out. It's an introduction to the precepts of the religion and the other movies are harder to appreciate if you don't already get some of the characters and crazy ideas involved. It's also a pretty good barometer for whether or not you'll find the other movies entertaining.

The correct order is always Laws of Eternity -> Rebirth of Buddha -> Golden Laws -> Laws of the Sun -> Hermes: Winds of Love -> Mystical Laws. You

cajunator

Banned
N-no?

It's the new EVA/Tenchi.

OHOHOHOHHOOOOOH TEEHEE

To love ru darkness Oav - 04

This is NOT SAFE FOR WORK

i repeat : NOT SAFE FOR WORK

This was a nice oav , following the manga to the letter with Too many lewd things in it ..i can't count.
I've seen hentai less detailled and animated.. Xebec like went all out on this one.

OMg , no , please ..don't ...

For the sake of avoiding a ban labelling tlru as nsfw is a smart idea but its pretty unnecessary lol. That series' reputation precedes it.

7Th

Maybe I missed something (or just wasn't paying attention), but as far as I know Senketsu growing to that extent is more or less a new power rather than an existing one repurposed in a strategic manner.

It didn't "grow"; it took the cloth in the rest of the uniform and put it all in the eyes to cover the entire arena. Unlike Wolverine and Dix Neuf, I wouldn't call it a power-up.

It's not like this is the only problem the fight scenes in Kill la Kill have. There is little back and forth between the combatants when it comes to both the action itself as well as the banter.

The Nonon fight is having a lot more back and forth than usual; it's definitely not just Nonon hitting Ryuuko for 10 minutes before she figures out a weak spot or gets a power-up.

Ryuko feels increasingly hollow as a character when she doesn't really have much of an impact on the fights.

Well,
Inumuta's conversation revealed that all of Senketsu's powers are Ryuuko's doing since her will-power is the one pushing Senketsu; and, at least this week, they were all Ryuuko's own reckless ideas. Senketsu even called her on getting too hot-blooded.

Mostly silent Senketsu is her brawn, but almost all of the recent fights have been little more than a vehicle to delve into unnecessary backstory. These fights offer some insight into character backstory, but it feels out of context and doesn't draw back to Ryuko in any manner.

I do agree that the Inumuta flashback was just an excuse to reintroduce Rebocs, but the Gamagori flashback was directly related to the battle and Ryuuko's victory. Nonon's will probably be the same.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There's a new Happy Science film? And which DBZ movie is this so I can put it on my run through?

It's the AB Group dub of Movie 3 (Tree of Might).

PM me when you're interested in watching it; the AB Group dubs are extremely difficult to track down and I think I'm the only one here who knows the arcane ritual necessary for summoning them.

CorvoSol

It's the AB Group dub of Movie 3 (Tree of Might).

PM me when you're interested in watching it; the AB Group dubs are extremely difficult to track down and I think I'm the only one here who knows the arcane ritual necessary for summoning them.

I just flat out am interested in watching it. PM me thine mystic arts and I'll get on that this weekend.

Coppelion Episode 10 - Human
tumblr_mxb9rltzGm1qzpumyo3_500.gif

Haruto Kurosawa is always ready, though I didnt ever notice his gloves before.
taking on the electricity like that was such a fantastic scene for him. And defending normal humans as well, he deserves an award

No-sense deserves commendation for his honourable deeds.

For the sake of avoiding a ban labelling tlru as nsfw is a smart idea but its pretty unnecessary lol. That series' reputation precedes it.

I didn't do that to avoid a ban , when i was watching , i was like " holy sh*t "i've seen hentai tamer than this. Those situations , the camera angles ,the return of popsicles , the glorious return of tentacles and i haven't even processed everything yet.. I have seen the previous oavs of TLRD , this one was on another level.
I don't even know what they will do once "nemesis" will arrive in the cast because right now i fear ffor me when they will adapt her chapters.

Happy Science Theater - The Laws of Eternity

So the Happy Science lot believe in this spirit world of multiple dimensions and realms which are determined by inviting your other dead relatives to watch a movie of your life. Thomas Edison, Florence Nightingale and Mother Teresa are angels for some reason or another despite some of the horrible things they've done in their lives, I guess their relatives were pretty nice towards them when they watched their life movie.

Also Thomas Edison was at one point Gutenburg and Tsai Lun if that makes any sense.

The climax of the film was a fight against a giant elephant beast controlled by 'Hisler' and his army of the evil undead vs. a blue angel doll thing controlled by Ryuta. It was most definately the most surreal battle I've seen for a while.

The Happy Science lot are into some strange things alright. I wonder what weirdness are in the other five films...

Joe Molotov

Happy Science Theater - The Laws of Eternity

So the Happy Science lot believe in this spirit world of multiple dimensions and realms which are determined by inviting your other dead relatives to watch a movie of your life. Thomas Edison, Florence Nightingale and Mother Teresa are angels for some reason or another despite some of the horrible things they've done in their lives, I guess their relatives were pretty nice towards them when they watched their life movie.

Also Thomas Edison was at one point Gutenburg and Tsai Lun if that makes any sense.

The climax of the film was a fight against a giant elephant beast controlled by 'Hisler' and his army of the evil undead vs. a blue angel doll thing controlled by Ryuta. It was most definately the most surreal battle I've seen for a while.

The Happy Science lot are into some strange things alright. I wonder what weirdness are in the other five films...

Don't think about it too hard, just be ULTRA HAPPY at all times, brother!

And also, nuke China.

Defuser

Kill la kill ep 10

Jebus, the seiyuu for nonon is fucking terrible, she even worse than Chiaki Omigawa. Her voice is so grating, she can't even do a child voice.

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 81 - Chronotector Equipped! The Impact of the Four Kings
tumblr_mx9dr4t5HV1svhpylo2_250.gif
tumblr_mx9dr4t5HV1svhpylo3_250.gif

Probably the rare few times where we need to question why Kouga, Yuna, and Souma are still bronze saints. It seems difficult to now accept that they can somehow win out against someone that has the powers of not one gold saint, but three even.
Even Shun couldnt endure that Heavy Lightning Strike and Gravity stuff.
Aegaeon is alright, I wonder how powerful the others will be.

duckroll

Anime Mirai 2014 trailer HD link: http://tinyurl.com/k8thkac

-----

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 9

This show is sooooo crazy. It's totally relishing the ability to juxtapose realistic characterization and insane superhero nonsense at the same time. While sometimes social commentary is subtle and just part of the background flavor, here the show brings it straight to the forefront and makes it the actual theme - If real life became a generic episodic Japanese superhero series, wouldn't that be REALLY strange? Yes, yes it would. The disconnect between seeing things which simply can't be real, and watching people actually try to reason or live around it while going "yeah that's weird" is pretty entertaining. But what really drives the show at the moment is the curiosity as to where all this is leading. I guess we'll find out next episode. Some really great character lines this week.

I really like how the show defies all conventional expectations and still manages to engage me. The art has basically gone straight to the toilet at this point, but this show seriously has some of the best writing in an original anime in a really long time. I love the way the dialogue flows.

yOBxoW9.jpg

Really? I beg to differ, because...

UIVwUJ7.jpg

I'm pretty sure Manglobe is an evil organization out to destroy animation! Lol.

Kyousougiga - 08

Ah Ah ah

Those revelations , that ending ....

Such a great anime.
Now the explanations for the power of our heroine are just there , but it's a good explanation
Who wouldn't be so OP , if you have a lineage like that ?

Damn this anime is good.

Bonus point for Yase in this episode !

Probably the rare few times where we need to question why Kouga, Yuna, and Souma are still bronze saints.
Lol . They are still bronze saint because rank doesn't mean power in SS universe and they can't be gold saint because they are new characters.
And everyone who know about the sain seya universe know that being a silver saint mean either defeat of disapearance.

Blood Lad OVA

Huh, didn't expect this OVA to keep going with the plot which is pretty sweet.

Lots of nice action and all that jazz. Just gets me hyped for the next volume release of the manga here.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 10

What a great tale of sorts
if they go through with it then Tsumugu seems pointless character, though if they do it then maybe he can find some way to awaken them. I wonder if it would also mean a time skip to get them older? (but not 50 years older please).

KANAME though. that was unexpected, my relationship chart had him with Hikari, not Chisaki, he always seemed to put her second and what not, not have eyes for her. What is the writer thinking?!

Owwari

Banned
Valvrape the Liberator 21

OMG Sunrise, have my baby please.
YES, YES, YES!!! THE HILARIOUS IS BACK!!
R.I.P Inuzuka, you manly bastard. Disappointed with Haruto's decision though ..

Saint Young Men

DZYnLbY.jpg

Naoyuki Asano brought the goods to the character art.

It's strange that a film about Jesus and Buddha hanging out in modern Japan and getting into supernatural mishaps can feel so grounded, but so it is.

It works pretty well, once you get past the strangeness of the whole premise. The choice to go with "a year in the life" structure keeps the film organized while not imposing any artificial narrative arc on the material. The animation is about average for an anime movie, but it looks consistently beautiful thanks to a really great art style and excellent character designs. The relaxed tone is exactly the sort of thing I enjoy, and the comedy is mostly successful at slotting into that. It's not uproariously funny, but the likability of the characters carries the whole thing, and some of the gags are very successful in their timing.

Viewing this from a religious standpoint, it humanizes Jesus and Buddha to a degree that wouldn't come from devout believers - things such as Jesus forgetting his own birthday, for example - yet it doesn't treat them as fodder for mean-spirited satire. They serve as sort of an extension of the "eccentric foreigner" concept for enhanced fish-out-of-water scenarios. Ultimately, it feels like the product of a culture that doesn't view religion as worth seriously engaging with one way or the other. As a Christian, I'm not entirely sure how I should feel about the film, but for what it was it was entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom