• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Golden Time is like Toradora in that the two lead girls are terrible and the third option is the best option.

Clearly we need a third Banri to choose Nana-sempai and save us all from this triangle angst.

CorvoSol

While browsing the internet, I saw this:

ym1Kt22.png

Sounds like the complaints people had with the show by episode 2. I hope the less "wacky" S2 hasn't made people forget the true face of VVV!
VVV just remembered what made it good, wacky nonsense, not focusing on dull side characters and dumb back story that isn't remotely interesting. Most of S2 has been legitimately boring.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Heartcatch Precure 1-25

I've been making my way through this since last week and I'm fairly surprised at how much I powered through, almost neglecting currently airing stuff and most backlog stuff. It's been nothing but an incredibly fun ride so far. Our protagonists Tsubomi and Erika (and later Itsuki who may be my favorite, aw yiss that tummy) have an incredibly fun dynamic that works well not only with each other but with the rest of the cast, which is pretty big considering almost every episode thus far has introduced a new character that turns into a scary anthropomorphic whatsit. Said characters usually have pretty touching issues that never cease to entertain me, and I think they're resolved rather nicely either during or at the end of the fights where the Precure do their thing. The Desertrian fights are usually pretty nicely animated, though sometimes I don't feel like the Cures beat up their opponent enough to warrant the winning super move, which is my only real complaint about the show so far which will hopefully happen a lot less what with Itsuki joining up. Really looking forward to the second half of the show with an additional main cast member (Maybe two SOON???) and hopefully a cool endgame.

Also THAT ED2 SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
the best magical girl show on recent times

VVV just remembered what made it good, wacky nonsense, not focusing on dull side characters and dumb back story that isn't remotely interesting. Most of S2 has been legitimately boring.

I didn't mind S2 too much, but I agree with you; it was getting kinda milquetoast. VVV 21 is a true return to form.

Heartcatch Precure 1-25

I've been making my way through this since last week and I'm fairly surprised at how much I powered through, almost neglecting currently airing stuff and most backlog stuff. It's been nothing but an incredibly fun ride so far. Our protagonists Tsubomi and Erika (and later Itsuki who may be my favorite, aw yiss that tummy) have an incredibly fun dynamic that works well not only with each other but with the rest of the cast, which is pretty big considering almost every episode thus far has introduced a new character that turns into a scary anthropomorphic whatsit. Said characters usually have pretty touching issues that never cease to entertain me, and I think they're resolved rather nicely either during or at the end of the fights where the Precure do their thing. The Desertrian fights are usually pretty nicely animated, though sometimes I don't feel like the Cures beat up their opponent enough to warrant the winning super move, which is my only real complaint about the show so far which will hopefully happen a lot less what with Itsuki joining up. Really looking forward to the second half of the show with an additional main cast member (Maybe two SOON???) and hopefully a cool endgame.

Also THAT ED2 SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

MG7pzTH.jpg

JCG

Valvrave - 21

Calling Valvrave "stupid" or "crazy" at this point is like saying the sky is blue.

But I didn't think
ARUS killing the students
was really that surprising or nonsensical at all. On the one hand, there's Moses being trigger-happy. On the other, their President knows about the Space Illuminati.
In other words...the whole meeting was a pre-arranged trap between all parties involved, minus the poor victims. Reinforced by the fact the President goes "LOL, I don't negotiate with scum" near the end when they try to blow the spaceship up.

As for
Shoko
...that's more problematic because it's all rushed, but to be fair her mind/heart must be a mess.
And Haruto conveniently forgetting stuff doesn't help.
Thus I don't think it's great, oh boy it isn't, but I also don't think it's this offense when a character is under pressure...plus the best part of the episode seems to have put a stop to that. By which I mean
the death(?) of Blue Ranger and how he spelled things out both to her and Haruto.
The implication is things might improve between them after this.

So yeah...crazy episode. Can't wait for the next.
L-Elf's back, even if it's in a hilariously ugly spacesuit.

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 1

A talking motorcycle. Sweet.

Very mysterious world that Kino and Hermes have decided to go and discover. Their first stop is a country seemingly run only by machines, as if all the people there had vanished. Was pretty unnerving at first, particularly since the machines were so friendly. Usually when I see a town that's empty like that I think bad things, that the people there had been killed or run off. But these robots were completely hospitable to Kino and Hermes, so something seemed very off.

Turned out there were people there, but they were hiding. Not because there was any real danger lurking. Rather, as a lonely man explains to Kino, they had all drank a serum that let them all read each other's thoughts, in an effort to bring them closer together, and feel each others pain so they could help them and be there for them. But needless to say, this ended in disaster.

The man was one sad fellow. The story of him and his significant other was what I suppose a microcosm of the whole fiasco. Being able to sense each others thoughts did not bring them closer together; rather, it made them more distant. It made every little annoyance visible, and their disinterest in each others interests only alienated them from each other. And yet the man still had her flowers growing outside his house. And as Kino passed by his ex-SO's house, the song that he would play for her was playing in her house. My best guess would be that despite their conscious disinterest in what each other loved, their disinterest was paltry compared to how much they enjoyed spending time together. Which I guess is why the flowers and music are still there even after their splitting apart, because they bring back positive feelings and emotions even if they don't stimulate them consciously.

Over-reliance on technology seemed to be a major theme in this episode, and I wager it will be a common theme throughout. This seems like it's going to be a good ride.

Branduil

Kino's Journey 1

Very mysterious world that Kino and Hermes have decided to go and discover. Their first stop is a country seemingly run only by machines, as if all the people there had vanished. Was pretty unnerving at first, particularly since the machines were so friendly. Usually when I see a town that's empty like that I think bad things, that the people there had been killed or run off. But these robots were completely hospitable to Kino and Hermes, so something seemed very off.

Turned out there were people there, but they were hiding. Not because there was any real danger lurking. Rather, as a lonely man explains to Kino, they had all drank a serum that let them all read each other's thoughts, in an effort to bring them closer together, and feel each others pain so they could help them and be there for them. But needless to say, this ended in disaster.

The man was one sad fellow. The story of him and his significant other was what I suppose a microcosm of the whole fiasco. Being able to sense each others thoughts did not bring them closer together; rather, it made them more distant. It made every little annoyance visible, and their disinterest in each others interests only alienated them from each other. And yet the man still had her flowers growing outside his house. And as Kino passed by his ex-SO's house, the song that he would play for her was playing in her house. My best guess would be that despite their conscious disinterest in what each other loved, their disinterest was paltry compared to how much they enjoyed spending time together. Which I guess is why the flowers and music are still there even after their splitting apart, because they bring back positive feelings and emotions even if they don't stimulate them consciously.

Over-reliance on technology seemed to be a major theme in this episode, and I wager it will be a common theme throughout. This seems like it's going to be a good ride.

Kino's Journey is really about anthropology more than anything else.

Digimon Xros Wars 14

Ay9zUqMl.jpg

Ba;almon is still the most interesting character in this show. Way more than any of the humans or hell anyone else. Made it a decent episode and arc because of him.

I'm slightly warming up to this series. Slightly.

Lain

Valvrave 21

Shoko, what a bitch. Haruto, what a stuttering moron. Everyone else, what a bunch of brain-damaged cretins.

Kino's Journey 1

kino's journey is too good.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If VVV S2 wasn't going to continue the insane cornball brilliance, at least it should have been because everyone's youthful hubris had come back to bite them hardcore from wildly wasteful resource management, poor mechanical maintenance, total inability to engage in proper diplomacy with world powers etc; all-around disaster due to inexperience and overconfidence. A sharp pivot from upbeat comedy to (darkly comic?) horror with the slow creep of starvation, anarchy, and madness as the kids learn that, no, they never were the hip young beautiful invincible revolutionaries that they had so deluded themselves into believing they were.

At the very least, it would have made S1 even more incredible in retrospect in that there would be a whole new layer of Blood-C-like deliberacy in the writing where there's suddenly an elegant higher purpose and actual consequence to every single thing that the viewer had theretofore been misdirected into writing off as inconsequential, sloppy, or contrived writing. I would rather it stay crazy hormonal teenage vampire mecha hijinx over anything else, of course, but the fact that for the most part S2 neither doubled down on the tone of S1 nor drastically subverted it is a big disappointment.

e: keep in mind I haven't seen the latest episode before writing this.

Kino's Journey 1

For those people who haven't watched this amazing series, you can pick up the series for only $13 during TRSI's sale! http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/6WUTPWQc6isilxw3Oe/browse/item/93153/4/0/0

RightStuf's Day 5 Holiday Sale should be up in the coming minutes. http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/holiday/12days05/

Gazoinks

Clannad 22 END (Except those bonus episodes)

WHEW. Glad this series went out on a good note. This was actually probably the strongest individual episode of the show, I felt like it really came together for this one in a good way. All in all I pretty much liked the first and last quarters of this show and found most of the middle half boring. I'm glad it picked itself up by the end though, because it means it doesn't really leave a sour taste in my mouth, despite getting kind of sick of it in the middle bits. I'll clean out the bonus episodes, take a short break, and then start on After Story.

Best girl ranking: Ryou<Kotomi<Nagisa<Tomoyo<Kyou<
Akio

Cwarrior

I have to hand it to super ultra pictures they we're given the budget to do anything and they made the most generic uninteresting looking visually anime mirai project to date which is *gasp*set in highschool.

Parou's future island by Ashin-el animation Looks the most visually appealing, looks like something I haven't seen before with a striking bizarre character designs and colour palette that pop out at you.

The other by studio 4c looks interesting also wonder what that ones about.

Mature

Digimon Adventure
A beautiful, if brief pilot/movie that foreshadows Mamoru Hosoda's talent as a director. Anyone with 20 measly minutes to spare should not pass this up.

Branduil

I have to hand it to super ultra pictures they we're given the budget to do anything and they made the most generic uninteresting looking visually anime mirai project to date which is *gasp*set in highschool.

Yeah you know all Yoshiura does is make generic high school anime, that's definitely what's going to happen in his short.

Clannad 22 END (Except those bonus episodes)

WHEW. Glad this series went out on a good note. This was actually probably the strongest individual episode of the show, I felt like it really came together for this one in a good way. All in all I pretty much liked the first and last quarters of this show and found most of the middle half boring. I'm glad it picked itself up by the end though, because it means it doesn't really leave a sour taste in my mouth, despite getting kind of sick of it in the middle bits. I'll clean out the bonus episodes, take a short break, and then start on After Story.

Best girl ranking: Ryou<Kotomi<Nagisa<Tomoyo<Kyou<
Akio

Hmm you seem to have my same opinion in terms of the goodness. If so you're going to find yourself pretty bored early on in AS with the 'filler' arcs that don't really do shit. I think the first good arc is the cat arc. Then everything post graduation is damn good. I gotta say I'd consider marrying Nagisa if it meant having in laws as cool as hers.

Tomoyo not on top? For shame.

Tomoyo is a very good candidate of best girl, but Kyou has just the right mix of Tsundere early on, and then she turns into semi tomboy. Tomboy is usually best girl. Even in games. Though P4 had a tomboy beat another tomboy.

duckroll

The Samurai Flamenco twitter has been teasing 4 new characters coming on the show soon for a while. Today they finally revealed the final character. The voice cast for the characters will be announced next week. The timing for the introduction of the characters seem to coincide with the end of the first half of the series. Are we in for another narrative shift? :)

Edit: Their names are amazing too. All of their family names and proper names are color puns. Sentai rangers maybe? Lol.

Souichi Aoshima (Blue)
Hekiru Midorikawa (Green)
Anji Kuroki (Black)
Sakura Momoi (Pink)

Gazoinks

Hmm you seem to have my same opinion in terms of the goodness. If so you're going to find yourself pretty bored early on in AS with the 'filler' arcs that don't really do shit. I think the first good arc is the cat arc. Then everything post graduation is damn good. I gotta say I'd consider marrying Nagisa if it meant having in laws as cool as hers.
No kidding! Akio and Sanae are the coolest people ever. Even if Nagisa was the most hateful person ever, they would redeem it.

Tomoyo is a very good candidate of best girl, but Kyou has just the right mix of Tsundere early on, and then she turns into semi tomboy. Tomboy is usually best girl. Even in games. Though P4 had a tomboy beat another tomboy.

Good man.

Defuser

God I can't wait to get home after work to watch valvrave to see what happen, sounds like the greatest shit to be happening.

wonzo

Banned
Kuromajo 44-45

kuromajo44.jpg

Definitely one of the more unique takes on time control I've seen. Still, the
breakup
between the three was really well done and emotional which was surprising for what really is just a cheap kids show about "Black magic".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom