• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

The Laws of Eternity

I don't really know how to express my thoughts about this movie. I won't say I didn't enjoy watching it, because I did, but I don't know why I enjoyed it. It was definitely the highest budget religious propoganda I've ever seen. The enire second half of the movie just kept getting weirder and weirder. Thomas Edison was once the guy who created the printing press and the guy who invented paper? He's also an angel from the 8th dimension and he sometimes teaches the lesser angels in the 7th dimension? Are there people who actually believe this stuff? The climatic battle in
hell
was unexpected to say the least.
Hitler summoning an elephant demon to kill God Eagle and the group was weird enough, but the giant angel mech(?) was the icing on the bizzare cake
. I don't quite understand the point of the
Atlantis flashback
and insert song but the female singer wasn't half bad, though I can't say the same about the male singer. I think I'm going to take a few weeks break before getting into the next Happy Science film.

duckroll

Hmmm....

http://anifav.com/topics/20131204_2467.html
http://www.vap.co.jp/GATCHAMAN_Crowds/dvd/index.html

They've officially announced the details and cover art for the Gatchaman Crowds DVD and Blu-ray box set coming out next month. The bonus director's cut version of episode 12 actually has a different subtitle - Embrace. The Anifav article says contains scenes which fill in the blank spaces in both episode 11 and episode 12, so I guess people are getting what they want. I still haven't finished the series because of how "unfinished" I heard it was. Lol.

Tiny pics from #12DC Embrace:

yqyLmer.png
yS4kKYx.png

The Samurai Flamenco twitter has been teasing 4 new characters coming on the show soon for a while. Today they finally revealed the final character. The voice cast for the characters will be announced next week. The timing for the introduction of the characters seem to coincide with the end of the first half of the series. Are we in for another narrative shift? :)

Edit: Their names are amazing too. All of their family names and proper names are color puns. Sentai rangers maybe? Lol.

Souichi Aoshima (Blue)
Hekiru Midorikawa (Green)
Anji Kuroki (Black)
Sakura Momoi (Pink)

I'm liking the character designs. I'm hoping the show gets out of its shittiness after next episode. And yeah I'd assume it wouldn't be too far off to think these guys will end up being power rangers. Part of me hopes the female one ends up being the love interest for samumenco, but all of the other rangers look like pretty boys so probably not. After that Flamenco girl/Diamond bait'n'switch early on I don't trust this show to give me a romantic interest.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 1

A talking motorcycle. Sweet.

Very mysterious world that Kino and Hermes have decided to go and discover. Their first stop is a country seemingly run only by machines, as if all the people there had vanished. Was pretty unnerving at first, particularly since the machines were so friendly. Usually when I see a town that's empty like that I think bad things, that the people there had been killed or run off. But these robots were completely hospitable to Kino and Hermes, so something seemed very off.

Turned out there were people there, but they were hiding. Not because there was any real danger lurking. Rather, as a lonely man explains to Kino, they had all drank a serum that let them all read each other's thoughts, in an effort to bring them closer together, and feel each others pain so they could help them and be there for them. But needless to say, this ended in disaster.

The man was one sad fellow. The story of him and his significant other was what I suppose a microcosm of the whole fiasco. Being able to sense each others thoughts did not bring them closer together; rather, it made them more distant. It made every little annoyance visible, and their disinterest in each others interests only alienated them from each other. And yet the man still had her flowers growing outside his house. And as Kino passed by his ex-SO's house, the song that he would play for her was playing in her house. My best guess would be that despite their conscious disinterest in what each other loved, their disinterest was paltry compared to how much they enjoyed spending time together. Which I guess is why the flowers and music are still there even after their splitting apart, because they bring back positive feelings and emotions even if they don't stimulate them consciously.

Over-reliance on technology seemed to be a major theme in this episode, and I wager it will be a common theme throughout. This seems like it's going to be a good ride.

This is one of the greatest shows made. The stories you will find are gonna hit you like a ton of bricks in a profound way. I cant wait to read about it.

wonzo

Banned
Hmmm....

They've officially announced the details and cover art for the Gatchaman Crowds DVD and Blu-ray box set coming out next month. The bonus director's cut version of episode 12 actually has a different subtitle - Embrace. The Anifav article says contains scenes which fill in the blank spaces in both episode 11 and episode 12, so I guess people are getting what they want. I still haven't finished the series because of how "unfinished" I heard it was. Lol.

yqyLmer.png
yS4kKYx.png
FUCK

YES~SU

who needs a haircut when you can just add more clips?
meUoIni.png
would make a great samumenco monster

cnet128

Banned

A-1's short looks crazy adorable and I want it in my veins right now.

Shin-Ei's definitely looks very...unique. It's interesting, but I can't honestly say it appeals to me in the slightest. Just sets off all my furry alarms shrieking in the worst possible way.

...Also I'm not sure how anyone can read that logo as anything but アニメミラT. Like hell that's an イ.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 10

KANAME though. that was unexpected, my relationship chart had him with Hikari, not Chisaki, he always seemed to put her second and what not, not have eyes for her. What is the writer thinking?!

Psch,
Kaname belongs to Sayu. Nobody else, male or female, is allowed to steal her man.

So Golden Time is like Toradora in that the two lead girls are terrible and the third option is the best option.

Kouko? Terrible? I think not.

Clannad 22 END (Except those bonus episodes)

Best girl ranking: Ryou<Kotomi<Nagisa<Tomoyo<Kyou<
Akio

Your list is missing Fuuko, which is a problem because she should be at the top. But the whole list is wrong anyway so meh.
Except Akio I guess =p

Correct list: Fuuko > Nagisa
x
Ryou > Kyou > Kotomi > Tomoyo

Did Hairclip turn into 2ka?

I should probably comment on Nibutani's hair colour change, but I'm too busy staring at Dekomori <3

Hmmm....

yqyLmer.png
yS4kKYx.png

Ooh, a shiny new director's cut of GatchaCrowds Episode 12? Colour me interested. A more satisfying final episode would be all that series needs to upgrade it from simply great to legit perfect.

JCG

I'm not just talking about the current conflict, I'm talking about EVERYTHING that's been set up, including the future stuff seen in some of the cold openings.

The future stuff is either made up of previews for a rather unlikely sequel or just teasing content that only fits into the story as an epilogue.

Nordicus

So Golden Time is like Toradora in that the two lead girls are terrible and the third option is the best option.

Clearly we need a third Banri to choose Nana-sempai and save us all from this triangle angst.
Nah. I predict Nana-senpai will be too busy fucking 2D-kun's brains out by the end of the series to even notice Banri

sonicmj1

One thing I forgot to mention about that episode is how strange it was for Satsuki to be speaking that way at such a young age. Like, I can understand high school. Middle school at a pinch, but kindergarden?

What kind of world was that girl living in that would cause her to talk like that at such a young age? It makes her all the more interesting.

It's almost scary how all the signs are being showed. Ryuko is getting really strong really fast, we've been shown the backstories and sense of comradery the elite four have with Satsuki, while we barely know anything about Ryuko. The only thing we know about Ryuko is the fact that she grew up into a delinquent and wants to find the truth about her dad's murder. That's it.

With all the power she's getting, I can definitely see her turning into the villain one way or another. It's like what was said at the end. The suit's evolving too quickly.

I just took this as the ultimate proof that Kill la Kill is Trigger's attempt to prove their superiority over Gainax by making a better Medaka Box than they did.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Laws of Eternity

I don't really know how to express my thoughts about this movie. I won't say I didn't enjoy watching it, because I did, but I don't know why I enjoyed it. It was definitely the highest budget religious propoganda I've ever seen. The enire second half of the movie just kept getting weirder and weirder. Thomas Edison was once the guy who created the printing press and the guy who invented paper? He's also an angel from the 8th dimension and he sometimes teaches the lesser angels in the 7th dimension? Are there people who actually believe this stuff? The climatic battle in
hell
was unexpected to say the least.
Hitler summoning an elephant demon to kill God Eagle and the group was weird enough, but the giant angel mech(?) was the icing on the bizzare cake
. I don't quite understand the point of the
Atlantis flashback
and insert song but the female singer wasn't half bad, though I can't say the same about the male singer. I think I'm going to take a few weeks break before getting into the next Happy Science film.
The main dude and girl are reincarnations of the same two people depicted in Atlantis. He is Thoth. He's also Hermes, and she's Aphrodite.

Heartcatch Precure 1-25

I've been making my way through this since last week and I'm fairly surprised at how much I powered through, almost neglecting currently airing stuff and most backlog stuff. It's been nothing but an incredibly fun ride so far. Our protagonists Tsubomi and Erika (and later Itsuki who may be my favorite, aw yiss that tummy) have an incredibly fun dynamic that works well not only with each other but with the rest of the cast, which is pretty big considering almost every episode thus far has introduced a new character that turns into a scary anthropomorphic whatsit. Said characters usually have pretty touching issues that never cease to entertain me, and I think they're resolved rather nicely either during or at the end of the fights where the Precure do their thing. The Desertrian fights are usually pretty nicely animated, though sometimes I don't feel like the Cures beat up their opponent enough to warrant the winning super move, which is my only real complaint about the show so far which will hopefully happen a lot less what with Itsuki joining up. Really looking forward to the second half of the show with an additional main cast member (Maybe two SOON???) and hopefully a cool endgame.

Also THAT ED2 SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
You're going to love what happens next.
Digimon Xros Wars 14

Ay9zUqMl.jpg

Ba;almon is still the most interesting character in this show. Way more than any of the humans or hell anyone else. Made it a decent episode and arc because of him.

I'm slightly warming up to this series. Slightly.
This serie get better indeed. It's very important to see the long road this serie took from the start to the end.

Hmmm....

yqyLmer.png
yS4kKYx.png
I'm still stuck at episode 8, i haven't watched the rest .. gonna wait for those revised episodes to see the end.

PsionBolt

the fuck is this aikatsu ripoff

Just for the record, Precure's data cards had already been around for years before Aikatsu existed.
HaCha's uniforms do look a bit too idolish for me, I'll admit. But Fresh was about a dancing group, MakoP was an idol, and so on. And it's definitely not a new theme in the cards, if nothing else.

cajunator

Banned
Just for the record, Precure's data cards had already been around for years before Aikatsu existed.
HaCha's uniforms do look a bit too idolish for me, I'll admit. But Fresh was about a dancing group, MakoP was an idol, and so on. And it's definitely not a new theme in the cards, if nothing else.

Yeah I would think Aikatsu ripped off from Precure not the other way around.

dumbyugi

The main dude and girl are reincarnations of the same two people depicted in Atlantis. He is Thoth. He's also Hermes, and she's Aphrodite.

I knew they were reincarnations of those two people but I don't understand why they needed to have a 5 minute montage about their lives in Atlantis. I guess by the time it happened I just wanted them to get back to Earth so the movie could finish.

Theonik

Heartcatch Precure 1-25

I've been making my way through this since last week and I'm fairly surprised at how much I powered through, almost neglecting currently airing stuff and most backlog stuff. It's been nothing but an incredibly fun ride so far. Our protagonists Tsubomi and Erika (and later Itsuki who may be my favorite, aw yiss that tummy) have an incredibly fun dynamic that works well not only with each other but with the rest of the cast, which is pretty big considering almost every episode thus far has introduced a new character that turns into a scary anthropomorphic whatsit. Said characters usually have pretty touching issues that never cease to entertain me, and I think they're resolved rather nicely either during or at the end of the fights where the Precure do their thing. The Desertrian fights are usually pretty nicely animated, though sometimes I don't feel like the Cures beat up their opponent enough to warrant the winning super move, which is my only real complaint about the show so far which will hopefully happen a lot less what with Itsuki joining up. Really looking forward to the second half of the show with an additional main cast member (Maybe two SOON???) and hopefully a cool endgame.

Also THAT ED2 SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
I'll say it again that I'm glad you are enjoying this!
Also yeah ED2 is a gift to mankind. Dat gospel.

Theonik

Valvrave 21
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
zagdsriohzwes'viph\evip]s4ev9gi9-]hfip[3xih-r22r45ybw43

Kino's Journey 1

A talking motorcycle. Sweet.

Very mysterious world that Kino and Hermes have decided to go and discover. Their first stop is a country seemingly run only by machines, as if all the people there had vanished. Was pretty unnerving at first, particularly since the machines were so friendly. Usually when I see a town that's empty like that I think bad things, that the people there had been killed or run off. But these robots were completely hospitable to Kino and Hermes, so something seemed very off.

Turned out there were people there, but they were hiding. Not because there was any real danger lurking. Rather, as a lonely man explains to Kino, they had all drank a serum that let them all read each other's thoughts, in an effort to bring them closer together, and feel each others pain so they could help them and be there for them. But needless to say, this ended in disaster.

The man was one sad fellow. The story of him and his significant other was what I suppose a microcosm of the whole fiasco. Being able to sense each others thoughts did not bring them closer together; rather, it made them more distant. It made every little annoyance visible, and their disinterest in each others interests only alienated them from each other. And yet the man still had her flowers growing outside his house. And as Kino passed by his ex-SO's house, the song that he would play for her was playing in her house. My best guess would be that despite their conscious disinterest in what each other loved, their disinterest was paltry compared to how much they enjoyed spending time together. Which I guess is why the flowers and music are still there even after their splitting apart, because they bring back positive feelings and emotions even if they don't stimulate them consciously.

Over-reliance on technology seemed to be a major theme in this episode, and I wager it will be a common theme throughout. This seems like it's going to be a good ride.

Oh man, this show.

This show has to be the anime equivalent of Spec Ops: The Line. It makes you feel like shit, but in a good way.

Cannot wait for your future impressions.

Anyone know about how far along the Log Horizon novel series is?

There are currently 6 books of log horizon with the 7th releasing the 20th of this month.
To give you an idea on how the anime adapt the books , episode 10 is the end of the second book.

We should have up to book 5 easily if they plan to make 24 or 26 eps.

Jarmel

Banned
Valvrave 21-

A return to the stupidity fray. This is what you get when your protagonist is as dumb as a block of fucking bricks. Like holy shit.
Fucking Haruto couldn't get like a complete sentence out. Also please god let them kill off Shouko. Please.

So when is V2 going to be announced?

Defuser

Valvrave The Liberator ep 21
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOHOHOHO

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Code Geass ep 22 has finally been surpassed. Oh lordy, my brain can't take in the awesomeness of this shit stained fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom