• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Kyoukai No Kanata 11

I've actually been enjoying these past few episodes. Maybe it's because the lack of bad humor. Also Akihito actually doing shit instead of sitting around.

Also let it be known this is male role model of the year. Not only does he kick women into kitchen cabinets, he also punches, chokes and elbows his family members.
Sir, I do believe that sounds like Stockholm syndrome.

Kyousougiga 09 & 10

I didn't like 9 too much, but 10 made up for it. An interesting twist and some typical anime high school philosophizing sprinkled with some religious allusions. My my, sounds like the climax to every anime.
I still find this series adorably cute and I love the characters and world.
<- Not actual spoilers.

Is 11 the last episode?

Just ordered both PE sets for Katanagatari from Right Stuf's latest holiday sale additions. This will be my first purchasing a NISA set, so I was hoping to hear other's views on this release especially about whether the Blu-rays and DVDs both have locked subs (or just BD-only) and how bad the small font subtitles really are (especially for watching on a smaller HDTV).

CorvoSol

You know what else is awful?

I can't breathe

Nisemonogatari 1

So, of course, Senjougahara continues to be ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Only she would get off on holding her boyfriend hostage and calling it "protection." Of course, after Cat decided that the best way to resolve her unresolved sexual tension with Araragi last episode, I'm not really sure which of the two of them is more yandere. I enjoy Araragi's interactions with Hachikuji, even if she is sort of super depressing by virtue of being
dead.
Sengoku is meh and Kanbaru is fun at times.

Oh, also,
Senjougahara and Araragi made out and we're just gonna drop that bombshell right here.

Araragi's little sister in the kimono flashes the entire audience and I dunno how I feel about those lingering views of her body, seeing as how I'd previously assumed such shots were from Araragi's point of view.

Honestly, though, I feel sort of bad that Araragi has no male friends now that Oshino is gone. Having a harem is great and all, but sometimes you need a bro, and while Kanbaru and Hachikuji fill this roll to an extent, Hanekawa demonstrated exactly why being bros and part of the harem don't mix well at all.

Does Araragi ever get a bro?

You know there are quite a number of honest-to-god Minmei defenders, even now? I really don't know how they sleep at night.

This second half better have some really damning scenes for her, because so far she's just been a vapid teenager. You guys are making her sound like she's the worst love interest in mecha.

Jex

Not gonna lie I thought Max was a girl until he spoke.

The 08th MS Team 3

This episode, to me, is what the 08th MS Team is all about. It really shows you what the One Year War was like: a war fought by real people, in which a single Mobile Suit could turn the tide of the entire battle. Later conflicts in UC are so space and mobile suit oriented that they almost entirely lose the human element as Tomino's battle dialogue crumbles under the crushing weight of actual sanity, but the One Year War was a really human conflict. Even the original Mobile Suit Gundam was better when it kept things on Earth and out of space. I'm sure this is blasphemy, but the battle between Amuro and Ramba Ral really is the series' high water mark to my eyes. Amuro and Ral are enemies, but neither sees the either as bad, and their mutual respect one for the other lends a reality and credibility to their battle which later series would spoil with melodrama (looking at you, Kira and Athrun), and their actual combat is brutal, and makes use of the humanoid forms of their weapons. It isn't just flying robots shooting colorful energy beams at bits fired from an egg shaped drone, it's two men, wielding melee weapons, dancing the dance of death and life, and desperately trying to kill the other even as they really, really don't want to.
Let's all face it - air and space battles are really kind boring compared to a great land battle. Even from a purely mechanical standpoint of using one's environment, cover etc.

CorvoSol

Let's all face it - air and space battles are really kind boring compared to a great land battle. Even from a purely mechanical standpoint of using one's environment, cover etc.

Yeah, but I mean, dog-fights are really exciting to watch sometimes, so mecha dog-fights could be. I guess single combat is more exciting than a dog-fight, though. Although naval battles have excitement to them, too. The Archangel vs the Dominion in Gundam SEED was probably one of the best parts of the end of the series. Especially since it had that element of two people who had been put on opposite sides but weren't enemies.

Jex

Yeah, but I mean, dog-fights are really exciting to watch sometimes, so mecha dog-fights could be. I guess single combat is more exciting than a dog-fight, though. Although naval battles have excitement to them, too. The Archangel vs the Dominion in Gundam SEED was probably one of the best parts of the end of the series. Especially since it had that element of two people who had been put on opposite sides but weren't enemies.

Unfortunately for Gundam as a whole Macross just has way, way better dogfights.

sonicmj1

Not gonna lie I thought Max was a girl until he spoke.

The 08th MS Team 3

This episode, to me, is what the 08th MS Team is all about. It really shows you what the One Year War was like: a war fought by real people, in which a single Mobile Suit could turn the tide of the entire battle. Later conflicts in UC are so space and mobile suit oriented that they almost entirely lose the human element as Tomino's battle dialogue crumbles under the crushing weight of actual sanity, but the One Year War was a really human conflict. Even the original Mobile Suit Gundam was better when it kept things on Earth and out of space. I'm sure this is blasphemy, but the battle between Amuro and Ramba Ral really is the series' high water mark to my eyes. Amuro and Ral are enemies, but neither sees the either as bad, and their mutual respect one for the other lends a reality and credibility to their battle which later series would spoil with melodrama (looking at you, Kira and Athrun), and their actual combat is brutal, and makes use of the humanoid forms of their weapons. It isn't just flying robots shooting colorful energy beams at bits fired from an egg shaped drone, it's two men, wielding melee weapons, dancing the dance of death and life, and desperately trying to kill the other even as they really, really don't want to.

---

Don't get me wrong, I think that villains themselves can pose credible threats without having the kind of relationship that Ral and Amuro had, since the Turn A vs Turn X throw-down at the end of Turn A was excellent, and certainly fights in Unicorn, Wing, Zeta, ZZ, and a few from SEED have been worthwhile, too. I just don't think a white knight and a black knight fighting each other is as human as two soldiers who happen to be on opposing sides and forced to kill one another is. That's what I am getting at here.

One of the many things that makes the fight with Gouf Custom in episode 10 so awesome.

Broank

Gunbuster 1

AW HELL YEAH PRINCESS ZELDA'S LIGHTNING KICK. So I've been told this show is like, one of the greatest mecha anime ever made or something. So far I've seen that teenage girls shouldn't be entrusted with giant robots, but hey, first episodes are rarely the crazy awesome point in Super Robot Shows, plus it's only 6 episodes long, so what's the rush?

If there was ever a show that gets better and better (and crazier) each episode up to a amazing finale I think Gunbuster is it.

CorvoSol

Unfortunately for Gundam as a whole Macross just has way, way better dogfights.

I can't say for certain since I've seen so little of Macross, but I really think combat in Gundam excels when it's 1 suit vs another on the surface of something. I can't really think of any space battles I found particularly exciting in Gundam. The ones I liked that happened in space still took place on something, like the Wing Zero vs Epyon fight inside the Libra.

One of the many things that makes the fight with Gouf Custom in episode 10 so awesome.

Goufs are what I described turned into a mech. If you have a Gouf and you don't make it a man-to-man fight, you wasted your Gouf.

If there was ever a show that gets better and better (and crazier) each episode up to a amazing finale I think Gunbuster is it.

I'll bear this in mind.

wonzo

Banned
http://marnie.jp/index.html

"When Marnie Was There" is Ghibli's 2014 Summer movie, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, with music by Takatsugu Muramatsu.
Arrietty had potential so hopefully this one turns out well.

Kyousougiga 09 & 10

I didn't like 9 too much, but 10 made up for it. An interesting twist and some typical anime high school philosophizing sprinkled with some religious allusions. My my, sounds like the climax to every anime.
I still find this series adorably cute and I love the characters and world.
<- Not actual spoilers.

Is 11 the last episode?
I think you might have the episode numbering mixed up but yeah, next weeks episode is the last proper one.

cajunator

Banned
The show surprised me. I got hooked instantly.

Oh hell yes. Me too. Excited to watch more!

Golden Boy Lesson 1

She slapped him so hard her tits jiggled for a full minute straight afterward. I think I laughed about three times that length when he stares down the Yakuza then turns the corner at the last possible second.

"NO! THASSCARY FEMALE'S MY NEW BOSSSSSTHSSS!"

OH MY WORD. THE BDSM STRAIGHT INTO THE EUPHEMISTIC TOILET SPRAY OH MY WORD. WHAT IS THIS SHOW YOU HAVE LEAD ME TO WATCH?

A keyboard of paper. Bwahaahaha. I don't know which makes me laugh more. C-Base, or that a woman dressed like that can somehow call someone else an unstable pervert.

VeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeery educational.

A BLACK! BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! God, the delivery of this line is comedic GENIUS. "Life is a mystery! I LOVE RESEARCH!" This show. Is a. HOOT.

I have never once had a learning experience which made me make those kinds of sounds. My life feels pretty damn empty right about now. OH GOD NO DON'T UNPLUG THA-

Her boobs. Never. Stop.

OH MY GOSH HE CATCHES IT IN HIS

Oh, okay, so Kintaro is actually a super genius who quit school so he could actually study life and stuff. That's impressive. Not as impressive as the half assed way the announcer wonders whether or not he'll save the world, though,

I will always call Doug Smith an asshole as a person because, well, he is. However his work in that OVA is masterful. Its some of the funniest shit ever.
Goldenboy is 100% classic and everybody should watch it. Everybody.

Unlike most plastic shit shows, Aikatsu's CG actually does get better over time, so it does have that going for it at least.

Wow. It gets progressively cuter!

Wow. GodDAMN.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tokyo Ravens episode 9
pretty action packed episode which I enjoyed alot, and I like that Touji will get to use his orge powers to transform into a sengoku basura character
but finally Kon<3

Precure artists are talking on twitter:
&#12479;&#12490;&#12459;&#12522;&#12458;&#12531; &#8207;@tanakarion 12h
&#26469;&#24180;&#12398;&#20107;&#12434;&#37096;&#23627;&#12398;&#12415;&#12435;&#12394;&#12392;&#21899;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12383;&#12425;&#12371;&#12435;&#12394;&#26178;&#38291;&#12290;&#12356;&#12429;&#12356;&#12429;&#12392;&#19981;&#23433;&#12384;&#12394;&#12540;&#12290;
Tanaka Yuuta: We talked about the next year stuff. People sure are worried~
&#22823;&#22618;&#38534;&#21490; &#8207;@takaswy1981 6h
@tanakarion &#26469;&#24180;&#12399;&#33394;&#12293;&#12392;&#22793;&#21270;&#12375;&#12381;&#12358;&#12384;&#12424;&#12397;&#12540;!&#19981;&#23433;&#12384;&#12369;&#12393;&#27005;&#12375;&#12415;&#12540;!&#12541;(&#12539;&#8704;&#12539;)&#12494;
Ootsuka Takashi: Looks like a lot of things are going to change next year! It might bring uncertainty, but I'm looking forward to it!

cnet128

Banned
Nisemonogatari 1

Heeeere we go. *begins mental countdown to that episode*

Araragi's little sister in the kimono flashes the entire audience and I dunno how I feel about those lingering views of her body, seeing as how I'd previously assumed such shots were from Araragi's point of view.

Continuing with that assumption seems reasonable. Nobody is immune from the Araragi perversion.

Honestly, though, I feel sort of bad that Araragi has no male friends now that Oshino is gone. Having a harem is great and all, but sometimes you need a bro, and while Kanbaru and Hachikuji fill this roll to an extent, Hanekawa demonstrated exactly why being bros and part of the harem don't mix well at all.

Does Araragi ever get a bro?

Come to think of it, no. I mean, there are a lot of characters I could call his "bros" in one sense or another, but aside from Oshino they're all female.

In fact, I can only think of three significant male characters in the whole series, and while the third one who you haven't met yet is awesome as fuck, he's also about as far from being Araragi's bro as it's possible to be. EDIT: Actually I just thought of three more, but they mainly appear in Kizu so lol no adaptation for you. And they're all Araragi's enemies anyway.

DOUBLE EDIT: goddammit bottom of page

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga Episode 9:

I think I have finally figured out what I really don't like about this series, the long winded explanations about everything that go on for far too long and don't actually explain enough. Anyway, yea, this situation has quickly descended into REM Song levels on with the last bit upended since there are people who want to continue onwards.

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 10

yowapeda10.jpg

three fujoshi and not one of them has a pair of glasses?! impressive

This might've been a setup episode but it felt kinda cheap at times. It's probably due to Makishima's "dance" looking weird as shit in CG.

Speaking of Makishima,
the story about the markings was totally just a cover story to get the scrubs away from his PED stash.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kyoukai no Kanata 11

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit this show got good near the end. I mean, I already thought it was pretty good before, but the last couple episodes have been great.

Also I have to apologize to whoever it was a while ago, maybe a week or two, who said that KnK had 12 episodes and I "corrected" them, saying it had 13. Turns out I was wrong, and my source was wrong. MAL said up until this week that it was 13 episodes. So yeah, sorry about that. Guess I should know to take anything on MAL with a huge grain of salt.

Nordicus

Kyousogiga 9

Damn The Secret of My Life is still making my eyes misty. I still don't quite understand what Inari's deal is though.
Have Koto run amok with her god powers, and through watching her, come up with some grand revelation about himself?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Golden Laws

Alright, let me try to work this whole Happy Science thing out here:
-We have Hermes, who was not the son of Zeus but rather some elder of his who taught him wisdom and truths and whatnot (I don't really remember). He was then reborn as Buddha in India. And then I guess that Sorano or whatever guy from The Rebirth of Buddha (is this guy supposed to be real? I forgot to ask this in my Rebirth of Buddha impressions). Also his woman was Aphrodite (let's leave aside all the dudes she slept with on the side in Greek mythology to the side for a moment) who herself is reborn as what's-her-name. Some special woman from Buddha's time who I guess acts as some spiritual messenger or something.
-Then Chih-I becomes a messenger for Buddha in 7th century China. Or something.
-Also Jesus is involved here. Was he a reincarnation of Buddha too?
-And then this kid Satoru who becomes a great religious leader in his time, the 25th century.
-Also Yuko and that schmuck from Laws of Eternity, who I guess were reincarnations from people in Atlantis during Thoth's time.
-And Thoth is El Cantare.
-And Prometheus, the Greek mythical figure who introduced man to fire, was some fake God heathen during ancient Greece. And Nietzsche and Hitler are presumably similar.

...Yeah this is pretty hilarious. ;This was a pretty fun watch.

Edit" And also Angel Edison/ Who's the reincarnation of Guttenberg and the guy who invented paper. Can't forget him.
The next one, The Laws of the Sun, should spell everything out for you.

I feel like I would actually like that movie if not for her.

Bakemonogatari 15

This was a great episode, and an excellent end to the series. Making Araragi's final foe the one person who had supported him throughout the entire show, and of course the wrath of unrequited love worked well in what was a very soft harem drama. Cat Hanekawa is still Best Girl. Having Araragi solve his problems himself was also a great way of bringing things full circle. I really enjoyed this series. So what comes next?

As Bakemonogatari is my very first Monogatari series, the answer is no, no I have not. According to Wikipedia the next in line is Nisemonogatari. Am I to believe that Nekomonogatari is a prequel series, then?

For god sake , corvo , watch them all in that order :

Bakemonogatari then nisemonogatari

Once this is done , nekomonogatari ( kuro )

Then monogatari second season

There is no need to go chronogical order on this anime ... the author itself goes back and forth for a better viewing pleasure

sonicmj1

Kyousougiga 9

This episode reminds me of that part in Hells just before the last battle where people keep giving long expository or motivational speeches and it goes on and on and on. I didn't like that part then, and I got a little worn out with it here. But it's good to see Myoue getting himself together.

I want to see how they tie this whole grand crazy mess together.

cnet128

Banned
For god sake , corvo , watch them all in that order :

Bakemonogatari then nisemonogatari

Once this is done , nekomonogatari ( kuro )

Then bakemonogatari second season

There is no need to go chronogical order on this anime ... the author itself goes back and forth for a better viewing pleasure

Obligatory mention that the next step after Bakemonogatari should in fact be a prequel, but Shaft failed us and so Kizu doesn't exist yet.

...Also it's just "Monogatari Second Season", no Bake involved there! </pedantry>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom