• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Yamato 2199 15-17

Man shit's been getting crazy lately. I'm really glad that whole
internal conflict within the security team
that's been building up for a while got settled in an episode (hopefully). The other internal struggle going on with Gamila has been pretty interesting too and very convenient for the Yamato crew.

And son of a bitch, Sanada.
You got me legit worried for a second! ;_______;

This continues to be a really good show so far.

Yozakura Quartet 10

So that must've been what spurred the fanservice discussion earlier this week because damn even I noticed a jump in a number of panty shots this episode.

Really fantastic episode though. Both halves were nice especially the half that centered on Juri, who I had been dying to see more story on lately. This show has really gone beyond my expectations.

Kyousougiga 09

More thoughts in the Official Thread but more than anything I'm pretty excited to see how all this mess started by Inari is going to get resolved by the final episode next week.

Kill la Kill 11

There was a stretch between episodes 7-9 where I've been a little underwhelmed with the show but these last two episodes have been really great, especially this week's. Nonon's fight was probably one of my favorites in the whole show up until the encore where it was just kinda reduced to beam spam. Which is a shame because the first few minutes had some really good animation.

Lots of developments happening. I can't wait for next week.

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill-11

That first half was a fucking mess. The way Nonon's fight ended
both times
was awful. Like completely awful.

2nd half was much better. Finally the plot is moving although
looks like the Matoi's dad killer mystery stuff is going to be a bit underwhelming

Bombless

Golden Time 11

Nana-senpai throwing the wrench into Tada's plans once again. Koko's little monologue at the cafe was..uhh...frightening. Time to bail out Banri-kun!

The club senpais getting the beach reference straight away
was awesome hah.

Samurai Flamenco 10

Mood pendulum swinging wildly in this one.
Moe's finger scene made me cringe. She's definitely the best girl on the show. Good on Torture for calling Mari's bullshit out, though that has done some major damage...

Bonus ending :

Kill la Kill 11

Oh shit! It's no TTGL 11, but nothing is! Damn, some crazy developments going on here. Loved the end of Nonon's fight as well. The
shifting volume on both sides
was a really nice touch.

But man, those last 10 seconds or so... HYPE AS FUCK!

Jarmel

Banned
I've been really underwhelmed with the fights in general in KLK. There has been some great animation bits and sequences but other than episode 3,nothing has blown me away. The first half of episode 11 really left me cold.
The aerial battle is kinda flat(although there were some great animation bits in there) and they conclude it in the most boring way possible. The flute missile is all it took? Really? So absolutely underwhelming. Then we get some beam warz and Ryuuko pulling a deus ex machina out of her ass. The music contrasting was a good idea but some really poor execution in the show, in that it's a pop song with heavy vocals going against a Beethoven piece. It just creates this mess on a sound direction level.

I'm really hoping the 2nd half of the show is much better.

Samurai Flamenco 10
Mari was finally put in her place and Moe is the best girl in the show.
The finger crushing scene was definitely cringe causing. I see that the original theme of hope and sort of justice still sort of lingering on with that kid and King Torture's motivations

BluWacky

Star Driver 7-12

I am determined to watch the whole of this series; I've been meaning to do so for years and I've never actually done so.

The writing continues to have flashes where it almost understands what made the Utena formula work, but for whatever reason none of it ever comes together to be particularly interesting. The Cybody battles, as dynamically animated as they generally are, never engage on an emotional level; it's not just that Takuto must always win, but it's never particularly clear why he must - too often it's a technical deus ex machina that saves his ass, rather than a weakness on the part of his opponent or some major advantage on his part other than Tauburn having an unused gizmo up its sleeve. Episode 12, for instance, gets the visual component right by continuing the "boxing" theme from earlier in the episode, but the fight itself doesn't reflect anything that's happened previously.

The other major flaws are the incomprehensible mytharc (Seals and Maidens and whatnot get a mention every other episode or so and I'm still no clearer what all these things and the Phases are supposed to be...) and the enormous yet forgettable cast of characters. For a show ostensibly built around three major characters, Wako has pretty much had no screentime in this stretch of episodes except for floating around in bubbles during Zero Time.

I don't find the series completely impossible to watch but it's background noise only - I like the pretty pictures and the nice music/songs, but it's totally failing to engage me on an emotional level which is a shame.

Pokemon Origin 3 and 4

3 and 4 was ultimately the best episodes in the whole thing. Green really made it an actually really special anime the whole way through and his JPN clearly enjoyed the role. Red too was quite excellent. The Giovanni stuff was intense and the visuals for the HP meter in the background along with the best arrangement for that song in Silph co was amazing.
Red v Green was the best aspect to the anime but highly unrealistic and impossible how Red managed to win. It shouldnt even be possible to lose to Green.

I think the XY stuff was unnecessary and largely ruined the anime though
it at least did give a good post story moment with Green there injured and Red to come to tend to him. But still, the Mewtwo stuff as well as the stone part was actually really weak and boring. Additionally Mega Charizard is pretty boring.

mhs004

Star Driver 7-12

I am determined to watch the whole of this series; I've been meaning to do so for years and I've never actually done so.

The writing continues to have flashes where it almost understands what made the Utena formula work, but for whatever reason none of it ever comes together to be particularly interesting. The Cybody battles, as dynamically animated as they generally are, never engage on an emotional level; it's not just that Takuto must always win, but it's never particularly clear why he must - too often it's a technical deus ex machina that saves his ass, rather than a weakness on the part of his opponent or some major advantage on his part other than Tauburn having an unused gizmo up its sleeve. Episode 12, for instance, gets the visual component right by continuing the "boxing" theme from earlier in the episode, but the fight itself doesn't reflect anything that's happened previously.

The other major flaws are the incomprehensible mytharc (Seals and Maidens and whatnot get a mention every other episode or so and I'm still no clearer what all these things and the Phases are supposed to be...) and the enormous yet forgettable cast of characters. For a show ostensibly built around three major characters, Wako has pretty much had no screentime in this stretch of episodes except for floating around in bubbles during Zero Time.

I don't find the series completely impossible to watch but it's background noise only - I like the pretty pictures and the nice music/songs, but it's totally failing to engage me on an emotional level which is a shame.
Just think of this. You're at the best parts, it gets worse.

jgminto

Samurai Flamenco 10

Yeah I don't really want this at all. It wasn't fun and it was more disturbing than anything.
I don't need to see purple's fucking finger getting crushed.
I'll probably drop this after this season. It's not what I came to the show for and it's no longer enjoyable.

Pokemon Origin 3 and 4

3 and 4 was ultimately the best episodes in the whole thing. Green really made it an actually really special anime the whole way through and his JPN clearly enjoyed the role. Red too was quite excellent. The Giovanni stuff was intense and the visuals for the HP meter in the background along with the best arrangement for that song in Silph co was amazing.
Red v Green was the best aspect to the anime but highly unrealistic and impossible how Red managed to win. It shouldnt even be possible to lose to Green.

I think the XY stuff was unnecessary and largely ruined the anime though
it at least did give a good post story moment with Green there injured and Red to come to tend to him. But still, the Mewtwo stuff as well as the stone part was actually really weak and boring. Additionally Mega Charizard is pretty boring.
Agree 100%
--------------------
Galilei donna - 10

This was actually pretty good even if it's events we could have predicted ( and most of us did )..
i think it was well done , and it explains why galileo was looking for another energy source and was alone looking ...
It also explain the letters so it's alright.

Overall i liked it.
I have freaking no idea what will happen for the final episode

NlgtrDb.jpg
XE8tEng.jpg

BlazBlue Alter Memory 10

A Makoto and Noel beatdown, while enjoying some genuine Terumi rapeface and mindrape.

Was fun.

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?: Onsen Manyuuki

Would complain about the tentacles, cream or slime, and etc...but then it did have the rain and such that made Izayoi's clothes vanish too, so it was a good and hilariously pleasing ova for me.

NeonZ

Yes regina was selfishness , but she had a other side and you could understand why mana tried to win her over. Since regina came back , all she did was to make some generic vilain moments ...

Regina initially was basically getting character development all the time. Even the first brainwashing (with the red eyes) still kept a large part of her character around and was counter attacked by more development. And then there was also the evolution of her interactions with the other Cures, not only Mana.

This second brainwashing though basically turned her into a completely static character. She can't "develop" at all because the brainwashing gives her a headache and resets her character. She'll only really become an active character again when she breaks out, which likely only will happen in the final few episodes. I knew the moment that they brainwashed her for a second time that nothing good would come out of it narratively.

Also, she did use her spear in Sword's episode.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Samurai Flamenco 10

Yeah I don't really want this at all. It wasn't fun and it was more disturbing than anything.
I don't need to see purple's fucking finger getting crushed.
I'll probably drop this after this season. It's not what I came to the show for and it's no longer enjoyable.

Yea the show really isn't the slow and thoughtful adventure of two men's idea of justice. A shame really.

cajunator

Banned
Spring Noitamina show from A-1 Pictures: http://www.nanana.tv/

Original Story: Kazuma Ootorino
Original Character Design: Akai Ringo?
Director: Kanta Kamei (Bunny Drop)
Script Composition: Hideyuki Kurata
Character Design: Tetsuya Kawakami
Music: Keigo Hoashi - MONACA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMShr1Lhfk

PR: http://moca-news.net/article/20131213/201312130139a/01/

I see someone from bunny Drop. I guess I have to pay attention to this one.

The lisp and delivery combined with the content murders me.

I think a male foil for Araragi would be really useful to the plot, but that's just me. He doesn't even really have to be friendly, just a foil.

Production order it is, then.

On it.

Yeah Doug definitely kills it in Goldenboy. One of the greatest dubs ever created.

And you know what they say! Making something sound bad only makes it more attractive for someone to watch!

Around here, yes definitely.

Non Non Biyori: 10

Most adorable episode in the history of everything.

Thats saying a hell of a lot. I shall judge this later tonight.

Kill la Kill 11

9Ue5qQR.jpg

Oh god Cajun is going to die... again.

Probably.

Outbreak Company 11

Well, I do believe...shit just went down.

I confess I wasn't quite expecting that to happen in this show, though I suppose it is all there in the title.

This show is so hilariously self serving that its brilliant. Its extremely shameless in its otaku pandering in the best of ways. Teaching dwarves and elves to nerdrage is such an incredible idea.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 11

I'm with Jarmel on most of the fights being disappointing. This one had some nice dynamic bits, but as a whole it still felt flat. Buuuut on the bright side the pacing of this episode has picked up sumthin' mighty now. Hopefully. If it goes back to the formula after this I am going to be cross.

Kinda hoping Ryuko getting angry results in the beserker rage and protag switch some people theorized on. Also, I don't think Nui was the real killer, but we'll see.

I love Mako and Gamagoori's interactions. Hope they stay together.

Regina initially was basically getting character development all the time. Even the first brainwashing (with the red eyes) still kept a large part of her character around and was counter attacked by more development. And then there was also the evolution of her interactions with the other Cures, not only Mana.

This second brainwashing though basically turned her into a completely static character. She can't "develop" at all because the brainwashing gives her a headache and resets her character. She'll only really become an active character again when she breaks out, which likely only will happen in the final few episodes. I knew the moment that they brainwashed her for a second time that nothing good would come out of it narratively.

BUT BUT MAKING HER GOOD WILL MAKE HER A SHITTY CHARACTER, said some people in this topic.

Would rather have good Regina... she could've been a real Cure... who could've molested the other ones before going back to her precious Manapool.

Well sword episode was 3 weeks ago ...
i'm pretty sure she hasn't used it in ep 42 & 43.

And yeah , she can't do a thing now thanks to the second "brainwashing"... she became a vilain so generic , she could be in yes! or max heart.

BUT BUT MAKING HER GOOD WILL MAKE HER A SHITTY CHARACTER, said some people in this topic.

Would rather have good Regina... she could've been a real Cure... who could've molested the other ones before going back to her precious Manapool.

i had hoped at some point that she would be cure ace and it would have been a nice moment of redemption like the 2 characters that were "turned" before.

If this is the alternative, then give me back girls that are trying their best to live to correct their past mistakes.

cajunator

Banned

I see someone from bunny Drop. I guess I have to pay attention to this one.

I think a male foil for Araragi would be really useful to the plot, but that's just me. He doesn't even really have to be friendly, just a foil.

On it.

Yeah Doug definitely kills it in Goldenboy. One of the greatest dubs ever created.

And you know what they say! Making something sound bad only makes it more attractive for someone to watch!

Thats saying a hell of a lot. I shall judge this later tonight.

Kill la Kill 11

9Ue5qQR.jpg

Probably.

Outbreak Company 11

I confess I wasn't quite expecting that to happen in this show, though I suppose it is all there in the title.

This show is so hilariously self serving that its brilliant. Its extremely shameless in its otaku pandering in the best of ways. Teaching dwarves and elves to nerdrage is such an incredible idea.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 16

This episode was pretty good. I mean, for starters, we learn a few things about the Dinosaur Empire. Namely, that they have an entire city there, and that for all intents and purposes it looks like a "modern" Tokyo. That they have an aristocracy, which I suppose comprises the more humanoid Dinosaur men like Emperor Gore and his Generals. There is a middle class, which I assume is the green mooks. There's also the Subterraneans, who form a slave race which the Emperor enslaved because they are a terrifyingly competent lot. Also Raptor Jesus is a real thing to them because they award war heroes crosses.

This episode focuses on Shik, one such slave, and his meteoric rise to power and fame as he thwarts the Getter team again and again. Shik is actually a pretty heroic guy and his story is pretty heroic, too. In the end, though, the system shuts him in and his plan results in his own death.

I really enjoyed Shik as a villain, even though he was just a villain of the week. I think something that mecha anime tries to do is replicate this formula of a sympathetic villain. I think contemporary mecha really fails at making sympathetic villains of the week for two reasons, though. First is that "Monster of the Week" was an acceptable formula in the era of Getter Robo, and it isn't now. Times have changed, and unless you are willing to take and do something meaningful with your Monster of the Week formula (a Wham Episode is a good choice, as both Utena and Kill la Kill demonstrated by capping their Monster of the Week segments by making the heroines fight their best friends) with real consequences, contemporary audiences aren't willing to sit around for it. The second reason is just that: consequences. A good sympathetic villain of the week needs to have lasting consequences or effects.

Maybe you don't even remember the name of the guy who blew up the nuclear weapon in Turn A, for instance, but you remember that it happened, and you know that act has consequences for the rest of the show. Meanwhile, Girard Spriggan in Gundam AGE is played up for maximum melodrama, but it is really close to the end of the show, so the finale arc kicks off immediately afterward, and nobody really bothers to remember her after she's dead. The Girard is a good example of the bad example I'm talking about. Girard lasts some three episodes, has her entire life explained over the course of the battle and then dies, with no lasting effect on Gundam AGE at all. Another good example of this arc being attempted and failed is the Trinity siblings in Gundam 00, and Nena Trinity in particular.
Over the course of their run, the Trinities only succeed in one thing: giving Louise Hallevy something to angst about. Otherwise, two die off with relatively no real effect, and Nena lingers another season as Wong Lu Mei's personal bitch until she is offed and replaced with an identical duplicate in the movie.

A GOOD example of this done right, though, would be Ray and Charles from Eureka Seven. They're introduced. They matter. The relationship they have with Renton has lasting consequences for the rest of the show and potentially the rest of his life (SHUT UP AO NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED).

cnet128

Banned
Kill la Kill 11

Dat Harime Nui be trolling something massive.
She can't actually be the one who killed Ryuuko's father...can she?

And speaking of Nui, is debuting as a shiny new character halfway through a two-cour show a thing for Tamura Yukari now? She's doing it in this, and she's doing it in Samumenco... Hmmmmmmm.

Butyeah, dat ending. brb fast-forwarding reality by a week so I can watch the next episode NOW.

EDIT:

[see post 12497]

[see post 12491]

Huh. I'm seeing double.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 10

Sheesh, what even is this show. I like some of the themes expressed in this episode, but the actual content was pretty weird. Did not need
finger-crushing
, thank you.

At least someone called out how unlikable Mari is.

Soma

Yamato 2199 Episode 18

God DAMN

The massive balls on Captain Okita in this episode.

Crashing the party on damn near the entire fucking Garmilan fleet like it was nothing.

Then firing the Wave Motion Gun to propel itself into the warp gate WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY destroying the entire fucking planet, taking a good chunk of the fleet AND the warp gate with it.

On top of that, the whole revelation of
Desler still being alive and the fleet's reactions towards that
. This episode was too damn good.

Also,
RIP Wakamoto

i had hoped at some point that she would be cure ace and it would have been a nice moment of redemption like the 2 characters that were "turned" before.

If this is the alternative, then give me back girls that are trying their best to live to correct their past mistakes.

Ditto

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 16

Guys I don't like Kaifun at all. Did we need a character who hates war and is a pacifist? When, you know, that was originally the role Hikaru himself was filling? Did Cpt. Hayase need to fall in love with him? When, you know, that was originally the role Hikaru himself was filling? Does Minmay need to cling to him like he's her boyfriend? When, you know, that was originally the role Hikaru himself was filling?

God, if he's an amazing pilot I will seriously question why we need Kaifun in this show when we already have Hikaru. I mean his lecture on war ten minutes into this episode is completely unnecessary. Did you need to tell us that war only creates destruction when the last 16 episodes have demonstrated that visually?

And of course suddenly the military are bad guys because Kaifun says so but what's this? Kaifun can kick ass without kicking ass because he's a magic Kung Fu master!? OH KAIFUN YOU ARE THE BEST. FUCK OFF MINMAY. FUCK. OFF.

MISA > MINMAY.

God, I mean, it isn't like humanity started the war or is on equal footing with the Zentradi, here. They're a massive military force invading Earth and threatening mankind. There are 56 thousand people aboard the Macross. What, Kaifun, are we just not to fight them and let even more people die because war accomplishes nothing? Because I don't call defending 56 thousand people, among whom are women and children, 56 thousand civilians, accomplishing nothing.

The Wind Rises has been picking up steam on the Awards circuit, but my money is still on Frozen. Other than Spirited Away winning in 2002, the Academy has never missed out on a chance to go with the safe pick in this category.

Spirited Away was a pretty safe pick, too. It was certainly the desired pick by most people, and none of the other choices were really particularly inspiring. What were they going to give it to, Lilo & Stitch?

Quasar

Golden Time 11 - another nice episode. Must say I'm quite sympathetic to Koko trying to better herself and rein in her obsessive traits. Road is about to get really bumpy though. Hang in there girl.

wonzo

Banned
Samurai Flamenco - Episode 10

I think that this episode, and how it chose to conclude the insane arc, is a statement about what different people enjoy about a superhero story. There are those attracted by the heroes, there are those attracted by the villains, there are those who like the grandstanding, there are those who just want to be entertained, but at the heart of it all - superheroes are something meant to be enjoyed simply by children who are happy to see strange and unrealistic things happening. They are the most important audience, and that joy and wonder is lost as children grow up into adults who have responsibilities and reality to deal with.

One of the themes for the show when it was announced was something like "this is a show about adults who don't want to grow up". It's pretty clear that the show is about dysfunctional people who cling too much to their childhood fantasies, but even so, it is impossible to escape the fact that as adults there are real consequences for their actions and they have actual responsibilities. What Hazama says he is fighting for - to put a smile on people's faces, is ironically something that he himself will probably never have as Samurai Flamenco. The happiness and innocence of a child experiencing all these insane events and just enjoying them like he would any other TV show, it's something adults will never have no matter how hard they try to pretend.

Now that the lid of "reality" has been completely blown off though, I'm looking forward to what other sorts of stories they can tell in this new world. It's definitely going to get stranger, and the end of the road for the characters might not be a happy one for all of them, but I expect it to get much stranger. The "I am Samurai Flamenco." line is right out of the first Iron Man movie, so I hope we get to see real mechs at some point. Lol.
Yeah, It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens to next these incredibly broken people now this has turned into something that isn't just a collective delusion of grandeur with no real consequences.

can't wait for the shane black movie either!

Everyone in Yowapedal is a bro, but Miki and Naruko are the broest of bros.
Naruko's
tears of anger and frustration
in the latest episode was hotblooded as fuck.

disgusting

BluWacky

Spirited Away was a pretty safe pick, too. It was certainly the desired pick by most people, and none of the other choices were really particularly inspiring. What were they going to give it to, Lilo & Stitch?

Wasn't Lilo & Stitch regarded as being a return to form for Disney? I don't care much for the film myself but I thought it would supposed to be a modern classic etc. etc.

(although it seems to have rather disappeared into the mists of time in that regard)

I haven't seen Frozen so can't comment on its likeliness to win the Oscar this year; as 7th says, given that Wind Rises is Miyazaki's swan song and the other CG films this year have been fine but hardly emotionally resonant I think it's likely that Wind Rises could win this year.

I still wish Wolf Children had been put up for nomination. At least then I'd have the satisfaction of it either getting nominated or being able to rant about it getting snubbed; as it is we'll never know how well it might have done. Only a few weeks until my BD turns up!

cajunator

Banned

I see someone from bunny Drop.  I guess I have to pay attention to this one.

On it.

Yeah Doug definitely kills it in Goldenboy.  One of the greatest dubs ever created. 

Thats saying a hell of a lot.  I shall judge this later tonight.

Kill la Kill 11

9Ue5qQR.jpg

Probably.

Outbreak Company 11

Chronoexe

WTF cajun.

Maybe the chapter of Non Non Biyori actually broke him.

Or he died and now he's traveling thru time to stop himself from watching the episode.

Owwari

Banned
Galilei Donna 10

Alright cnet128, you win. Hozuki IS best girl, waifu 100%.

Man this episode. Love is indeed something difficult to put into words. It would be hilarious to see a time paradox ending where Hozuki goes back in time and ends up hooking with the Galiman, heh.

Golden Time 11

The part of Banri that can't get over Linda pisses me off. Koko is best girl, and psycho girlfriend in anime is super original so I really hope this doesn't end up with best friend. Considering the emphasis on Koko it won't I mean in Toradora the characters had
feelings for someone else early on
, but the focus was always on them so I'm using that as my excuse to not worrying.

Besides that, the 2spooky4koko ghost hasn't comeback, which is good. Episode was ok, not much went on besides the job hunting. I liked the costumes though. Nana knows some weird people. Biggest complaint? NOT ENOUGH 2D-KUN. In fact none at all.

Golden Time 11

The part of Banri that can't get over Linda pisses me off. Koko is best girl, and psycho girlfriend in anime is super original so I really hope this doesn't end up with best friend. Considering the emphasis on Koko it won't I mean in Toradora the characters had
feelings for someone else early on
, but the focus was always on them so I'm using that as my excuse to not worrying.

Besides that, the 2spooky4koko ghost hasn't comeback, which is good. Episode was ok, not much went on besides the job hunting. I liked the costumes though. Nana knows some weird people. Biggest complaint? NOT ENOUGH 2D-KUN. In fact none at all.

Super crazy theory i just thought up that might be a spoiler:

ghost banri is actually trapped in the "chin" of banri , he will come out when banri will remove the last bandage

OMg i hope i'm wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom