• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obligatory mention that the next step after Bakemonogatari should in fact be a prequel, but Shaft failed us and so Kizu doesn't exist yet.

...Also it's just "Monogatari Second Season", no Bake involved there! </pedantry>

Of course , corvo can go read kizu , if he wants the full experience.

And yeah , my mistake on the name.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga 9

This episode reminds me of that part in Hells just before the last battle where people keep giving long expository or motivational speeches and it goes on and on and on. I didn't like that part then, and I got a little worn out with it here. But it's good to see Myoue getting himself together.

I want to see how they tie this whole grand crazy mess together.

Seems like Koto is going to reset the world with her creation powers.

Andrew J.

Kyoukai no Kanata 11

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit this show got good near the end. I mean, I already thought it was pretty good before, but the last couple episodes have been great.

Also I have to apologize to whoever it was a while ago, maybe a week or two, who said that KnK had 12 episodes and I "corrected" them, saying it had 13. Turns out I was wrong, and my source was wrong. MAL said up until this week that it was 13 episodes. So yeah, sorry about that. Guess I should know to take anything on MAL with a huge grain of salt.

Hell, Hummingbird still has it at 13.

duckroll

Episode numbers can be tricky because unless it's confirmed by an official source (DVD/BD episode counts, announced in a press release, etc) most of the time it's guesswork based on the broadcast schedule or the slot its running in.

Kyoukai no Kanata 11

i'm actually very excited for the next episode .
Kyoukai%20no%20Kanata%20-%2011.jpg
Not because this was a especially fun ride , but because the animation in this anime has been ALWAYS top notch so when the odds are like that i expect a FREAKING awesome finale , especially in term of animation since they decided to not explain half of the things going on in this show

Serve you right ! ( i can't help but think this has a triple meaning )

Fox318

Yowapeda 10

yowapeda10.jpg

three fujoshi and not one of them has a pair of glasses?! impressive

This might've been a setup episode but it felt kinda cheap at times. It's probably due to Makishima's "dance" looking weird as shit in CG.

Speaking of Makishima,
the story about the markings was totally just a cover story to get the scrubs away from his PED stash.

I really hope this show gets a second season soon

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know what I haven't seen much of this year? Short gag based flash anime. No idea if Gakkatsu's 2nd season will ever be translated.

Pooya

Kyoukai no Kanata 11

Also I have to apologize to whoever it was a while ago, maybe a week or two, who said that KnK had 12 episodes and I "corrected" them, saying it had 13. Turns out I was wrong, and my source was wrong. MAL said up until this week that it was 13 episodes. So yeah, sorry about that. Guess I should know to take anything on MAL with a huge grain of salt.

I think it was me, yeah. I have to think about accepting your apology, don't know yet maybe if you say it nicely enough. :b

Kansoku

Kyoukai no Kanata 11

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit this show got good near the end. I mean, I already thought it was pretty good before, but the last couple episodes have been great.

As Bakemonogatari is my very first Monogatari series, the answer is no, no I have not. According to Wikipedia the next in line is Nisemonogatari. Am I to believe that Nekomonogatari is a prequel series, then?

Yes. But you should watch Nise first and then Neko, and after that, find a way of reading Kizumonogatari before going into Second Season.

Surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Oh its also coming to US netflix too and dubbed too

Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) announced today it will make available the complete first 12 episode season of Polygon Pictures&#8217; hotly anticipated anime series &#8220;Knights of Sidonia&#8221; in all Netflix territories in Summer of 2014.

Based on the best-selling manga series by Tsutomu Nihei, published in Japan by Kodansha and in English by Vertical, &#8220;Knights of Sidonia&#8221; follows the struggle of humans to survive against the monstrous alien &#8220;Gauna&#8221; using mecha weapons called &#8221;Garde&#8221; (Guardian Robots).

The story focuses on the ship Sidonia and young Garde pilot Nagate Tanikaze as he uses his amazing combat skills to protect what remains of human civilization.

&#8220;Netflix has a huge base of anime fans and we are thrilled to be bringing exclusively for the first time them a first-run anime series, especially one as well-plotted, humorous and beautifully animated as Knights of Sidonia,&#8221; said Erik Barmack, VP, Independent Content at Netflix.

&#8220;We are ecstatic at the opportunity to run 'Knights of Sidonia' firstly and exclusively on Netflix. This is an epochal deal, as we are able to deliver our beloved anime property to a wider audience in direct and timely fashion, than ever before,&#8221; said Shuzo John Shiota, CEO of Polygon.

&#8220;Knights of Sidonia&#8221; is produced by Tokyo-based Polygon Pictures, winner of multiple Daytime Emmy Awards for Hasbro&#8217;s television series &#8220;Transformers Prime&#8221; and the animators behind &#8220;Tron: Uprising&#8221; and several episodes of &#8220;Star Wars: The Clone Wars.&#8221; The series is directed by Kobun Shizuno, who worked on &#8220;GI Joe,&#8221; the animated series and co-directed by Hiroyuki Seshita, a veteran of the &#8220;Final Fantasy&#8221; video game series.

&#8220;Knights of Sidonia&#8221; will be available on Netflix in Japanese with the choice of subtitles or dubbed local language dialogue.

cnet128

Banned
Yes. But you should watch Nise first and then Neko, and after that, find a way of reading Kizumonogatari before going into Second Season.

Well, if you're going to recommend he read Kizu either way, the best point to do so would really be before Nise, since both that and Nekomonogatari Black are also enhanced somewhat by knowledge of the prequel's events. It just gets more blatant in Second Season (and starts getting into spoiling-Kizu's-plot territory).

DokiDoki precure - 42

This is what i'd call HEAVY forshadowing about aguri ..well i'm kinda happy this goes on the next episode in term of plot it's been so long since i feel there is a serious connexion between episode about character develloppement not linked througt a finale.

DokiDoki%21.Precure.42.jpg

Hey i'd be confused with less.

So it's aguri birthday time, and nothing really happens except that mana made a "mana moment" ( if you watch dokidoki , you know what a "mana moment" is ) and that aguri characterisation was freaking well done considering she came late to the party
We also learn about makopi past a bit

So overall this wasn't a bad episode , not at all

Kansoku

12/12 10:26 [Mirai Nikki EP. 6]

Funny filler. Stalker inner psycho appears more. Nothing happens.

12/12 10:53 [Mirai Nikki EP. 7]

This is going too fast.
We're down to 8.
Either way, the kid tells us what we all have been thinking, First and Second will need to kill each other. Going by the very first scene of the first episode, Yuno will kill him, accidentally. Ninith is still the best and apparently the only one not dumb enough to don't pay attention to everyone's figure on that "round table".

12/12 11:22 [Mirai Nikki EP. 8]

Interesting,
the guy wants to give his diary to another person. Turns out he gives his diary to his daughter. The wannabe detective guy was obviously a diary holder and I actually thought the camera girl was a diary holder as well. Maybe she is and is working with dog girl or maybe she's a normal person who is just helping a friend.
I want to see how the guy's diary works because have two detective like diary (4th and his) would suck. And Yukki is the most stupid person on the whole planet. Detective guy is smart, he didn't gave any clue that he had a diary.

Well, if you're going to recommend he read Kizu either way, the best point to do so would really be before Nise, since both that and Nekomonogatari Black are also enhanced somewhat by knowledge of the prequel's events. It just gets more blatant in Second Season (and starts getting into spoiling-Kizu's-plot territory).

lol, I don't remember any Kizu-related stuff in Nise.

Defuser

Noukome ep 10
That is one crazy ending. Damn you Diomedia, what's with this studio and their 10 episode shows? First Mondaiji and now this.

cnet128

Banned
lol, I don't remember any Kizu-related stuff in Nise.

Nise has
the first time Shinobu properly talks to Araragi since becoming Shinobu, which is clearly more interesting if you know their history and what she was like before. And it works both ways - Kizu is the first time (both chronologically and in reading order) that we see Shinobu/Kisshot talk at all, so reading Kizu after Nise removes a fair amount of that impact.

Joe Molotov

Dokidoki! Precure 43

Aguri: "Oh no, Grams found out I was a precure!"

Grandma: "It's totally okay if you're a legendary warrior of light, I kinda already knew and I'm completely fine with it.

Aguri: "Shut up Grandma, the only choice for me now is to run away from home....and live at Mana's house!"

Erigu

Nise has
the first time Shinobu properly talks to Araragi since becoming Shinobu, which is clearly more interesting if you know their history and what she was like before. And it works both ways - Kizu is the first time (both chronologically and in reading order) that we see Shinobu/Kisshot talk at all, so reading Kizu after Nise removes a fair amount of that impact.
Plus, the sword in Nekomonogatari (Kuro). Kizumonogatari really should have been made before the second season...

Kansoku

Nise has

Ah yeah. Forgot that. But then again it's minor stuff, unlike
Episode appearing in SS

cnet128

Banned
Ah yeah. Forgot that. But then again it's minor stuff, unlike
Episode appearing in SS

Eh, personally I'd say changing the viewer/reader's whole introduction to Shinobu is more major than losing the significance of a brief cameo from a relatively unimportant character. But that's just me.

Kansoku

Eh, personally I'd say changing the viewer/reader's whole introduction to Shinobu is more major than losing the significance of a brief cameo from a relatively unimportant character. But that's just me.

IDK,
I think seeing the way Shinobu "opens up" in Nise before made it more effective to me; When I read Kizu, I understood what lead to that and it only made the whole thing stronger to me.

Besides, Nise stuff you can watch and feel that you're not missing anything, but SS stuff feels like that.
When Episode appeared, I had no clue who he was, why he knew Hanekawa, and what they talked about.

Dokidoki precure - 43

DokiDoki%21.Precure.43_01.jpg

She is smart but ...not that smart

The drama in this episode could have been solved by a simple talk , but i guess the feeligns aguri had made her confused ... indeed she was very confused.
it wasn't bad drama .. it just felt very predictable at times.

I liked the revelations , my theory is coming true , lol ..much more intresting is rikka explanation :
But when you transform , you're getting older so this isn't surprising
..i guess i must not understand being a simple human ..this must be the mindset of a precure warrior.

So well the proper choice was obviously to run away toward mana because ..well mana is pretty much "perfect" and she didn't last long to find a way to raise the mood up. Trully mana specs are very high , too high even , but then again this is episode 43 and we know that since episode 1.

DokiDoki%21.Precure.43_02.jpg

Pathetic attempt to create tension.

I feel that regina since she came back is way less intresting than she was in the first part.
Yes regina was selfishness , but she had a other side and you could understand why mana tried to win her over. Since regina came back , all she did was to make some generic vilain moments ... i don't understand what's her point ...why isn't she using the spear ? She has a motherfucking spear of darkness and she waste her time using the same patterns from 25 episodes ago !

The trio dynamics between the 3 other vilain are ALL gone now , even without regina they tried and the really did the job , but now everything is like stopped.

They better hurry with the finale but we have to finish the chritsmas episodes first ....Argh*

cajunator

Banned
You know what I haven't seen much of this year? Short gag based flash anime. No idea if Gakkatsu's 2nd season will ever be translated.

The closest I think is miss monochrome which is adorable but also hand drawn animation for the most part. Theres a CG dance at the end Precure/Aikatsu style but its more cute than terrible.

cnet128

Banned
IDK,
I think seeing the way Shinobu "opens up" in Nise before made it more effective to me; When I read Kizu, I understood what lead to that and it only made the whole thing stronger to me.

Besides, Nise stuff you can watch and feel that you're not missing anything, but SS stuff feels like that.
When Episode appeared, I had no clue who he was, why he knew Hanekawa, and what they talked about.

I dunno, I kind of feel like knowledge of Nise spoils the whole idea of Kizu a bit. It's supposed to be like,
Shinobu's "true" self is this mysterious figure who you've only heard little bits and pieces about from Araragi in Bake, and then in Kizu you finally get to see her in all her glory and learn about her as Araragi does - first being entranced by her otherworldly nature, then slowly learning about her as a person and coming to like her, only to ultimately be brought back to reality in the worst possible way.

And then when Araragi makes that final decision to drain her almost completely, to turn her into a shadow of her former self, it carries a lot of weight because you know this means she'll be reduced to the Shinobu you've seen in Bakemonogatari - an empty shell, with no sign of her former energy or dignity, incapable of doing anything for herself, completely reliant on Araragi. There's a lot of emphasis placed in Kizu from the beginning on the fact that this "isn't a story that ends well", and I think a fair amount of that drama is weakened if you know in advance that Shinobu will be pretty much fine when all's said and done. Shinobu's sudden "return" to her former self in Nise, almost retconning away those consequences, seems to work better as a bit of a narrative troll after the fact - a happy convenience bringing back something that seemed to be lost forever.

CorvoSol

I will always call Doug Smith an asshole as a person because, well, he is. However his work in that OVA is masterful. Its some of the funniest shit ever.
Goldenboy is 100% classic and everybody should watch it. Everybody.

The lisp and delivery combined with the content murders me.

Heeeere we go. *begins mental countdown to that episode*

Continuing with that assumption seems reasonable. Nobody is immune from the Araragi perversion.

Come to think of it, no. I mean, there are a lot of characters I could call his "bros" in one sense or another, but aside from Oshino they're all female.

In fact, I can only think of three significant male characters in the whole series, and while the third one who you haven't met yet is awesome as fuck, he's also about as far from being Araragi's bro as it's possible to be. EDIT: Actually I just thought of three more, but they mainly appear in Kizu so lol no adaptation for you. And they're all Araragi's enemies anyway.

DOUBLE EDIT: goddammit bottom of page

I think a male foil for Araragi would be really useful to the plot, but that's just me. He doesn't even really have to be friendly, just a foil.

For god sake , corvo , watch them all in that order :

Bakemonogatari then nisemonogatari

Once this is done , nekomonogatari ( kuro )

Then monogatari second season

There is no need to go chronogical order on this anime ... the author itself goes back and forth for a better viewing pleasure

Production order it is, then.

On it.

Kansoku

And then when Araragi makes that final decision to drain her almost completely, to turn her into a shadow of her former self, it carries a lot of weight because you know this means she'll be reduced to the Shinobu you've seen in Bakemonogatari - an empty shell, with no sign of her former energy or dignity, incapable of doing anything for herself, completely reliant on Araragi. There's a lot of emphasis placed in Kizu from the beginning on the fact that this "isn't a story that ends well", and I think a fair amount of that drama is weakened if you know in advance that Shinobu will be pretty much fine when all's said and done. Shinobu's sudden "return" to her former self in Nise, almost retconning away those consequences, seems to work better as a bit of a narrative troll after the fact - a happy convenience bringing back something that seemed to be lost forever.

I see. You're right, I didn't think of these implications.

Man, DokiDoki sounds so awful.

Not when you decide to take th alternative approach

Dokidoki precure - 43

I feel that regina since she came back is way less intresting than she was in the first part.
Yes regina was selfishness , but she had a other side and you could understand why mana tried to win her over. Since regina came back , all she did was to make some generic vilain moments ... i don't understand what's her point ...why isn't she using the spear ? She has a motherfucking spear of darkness and she waste her time using the same patterns from 25 episodes ago !

The trio dynamics between the 3 other vilain are ALL gone now , even without regina they tried and the really did the job , but now everything is like stopped.

They better hurry with the finale but we have to finish the chritsmas episodes first ....Argh*

Maybe Regina's less interestingness is part of why she's just another girl to Mana right now. And it's obvious she's not using her spear as much because she has Mana on the brains.

Yep, we have next week episode, and then shit will go down with Ace and Regina. Maybe then Regina will get interesting again.

fertygo

Kyoanus no Kanata - 11

iWik8KUdhyDxT.gif

So fucking EDGY..

That should've perfect for me but nope, its not have any charisma whatsoever for at least make me entertained in cheesy way.

Dem sakuga tho... dayum

Not when you decide to take th alternative approach

Maybe Regina's less interestingness is part of why she's just another girl to Mana right now. And it's obvious she's not using her spear as much because she has Mana on the brains.

Yep, we have next week episode, and then shit will go down with Ace and Regina. Maybe then Regina will get interesting again.

I agree ..but then again i would have loved to punch mana if she continued to be dumb about someone that has said "no" countless times already.

Ps: Light NSFW spoiler for dokidoki precure - 43
i know , i know but people are so quick to their photoshops.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
After Doki is over, let's all just agree as a thread to enact damnatio memoriae on it backed by moderator force. Posts suggesting it, even as a joke, are deleted on sight.

Kill la Kill - 11

Oh shit.

OHHHHHH SHIT.

Is it happening? I think it's happening. IT'S HAPPENING GUYS. YEEEEEESSSSSS.

2371600-9530080022-13605.gif

Never would have thought that little miss Nia would be the one to lay the finishing blow on Ryuko's father.

Samurai Flamenco 10

So I watched the last two episodes in part because morbid curiosity of what was going on and how the series would advance, in part because I still had some hope on the writers doing that twist because ulterior reasons, and they wanted to reach the straight Toku genre to afterwards do another twist or examine the characters in a new light of whatever.

Nah. It's just a shitty series. An incredibly shitty one. Screw you Manglobe.

Dropped with the force of a giant rocket exploding.

jediyoshi

Samurai Flamenco 10

So I watched the last two episodes in part because morbid curiosity of what was going on and how the series would advance, in part because I still had some hope on the writers doing that twist because ulterior reasons, and they wanted to reach the straight Toku genre to afterwards do another twist or examine the characters in a new light of whatever.

..the twist from 7? So you basically just skipped 8? And then wanted them to do a complete turn around from within 3 episodes of a 22 episode season?

Joe Molotov

...why isn't she using the spear ? She has a motherfucking spear of darkness and she waste her time using the same patterns from 25 episodes ago !

I hope in the final episode the Miracle Dragon Glaive is revealed to be the Lance of Longinus and Regina accidentally triggers the Second Impact. All the precures and fairies are killed out except for Alice, who uses the resources of the Yotsuba Corporation to found NERV, and Lance who leads NERV with his new and improved human form, Gendo.

santeesioux

Samurai Flamenco 10

I'm holding out for the new season to see how packed Thursdays will be then. If there's a bunch of shows on that day i'll drop it as well.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kill la Kill 11

The fight with Nonon was dragging on a bit so I'm glad they got through with it relatively quickly and without another transformation in costume.

It does seem more and more likely that Satsuki and Ryuuko are going to team up against her mother especially now that we know who killed Ryuuko's father.

What I'm really interested in is seeing who will eat the one 50 caliber bullet that nude beach was playing around with. I have a feeling that right before Ryuuko loses to Nui and Senketsu gets destroyed they will use the bullet on Nui and make her run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom