• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

ask toonamigaf, 10/10 agree, most upbeat anime that showed up on toonami

ToonamiGAF got my back on this'n.

Yeah, I actually kind of thought the show dedicated a lot of time to making sure you knew he was a terrible person.

Utena moral: People with long hair are assholes.

Golden Boy is just about the best palate cleanser possible. I used it (and Bunny Drop) for that purpose after finishing Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero.

Bwahaha, Golden Boy and Bunny Drop are so radically different, though.

It's one of the most up-beat anime I've ever seen. Helps that it's soooo good.

Wait are you being sarcastic about that last bit?

Huh, sounds cool! Unfortunatley though, everyone else screamed Hunter X Hunter before you, so I feel obligated to go with the majority opinion and see how fun that is first.

Just watch the first episode to see what I mean.

Nisemonogatari 3

You know, it occurs to me that if the gender roles were reversed in Senjougahara and Araragi's relationship, there would be a LOT of problems with it. Imagine a dude who called his woman trash all the time, kidnaps her, and threatens her with bodily harm for seeing her friends. Senjougahara is sort of basically exactly that and I dunno how I feel about it.

Kanbaru knows what's up, though, as she carefully explains how the entire harem will really fall into place to Araragi. In Senjougahara's defense, Araragi not only saw Kanbaru naked during his visit, she ripped his pants off and at multiple points during the conversation they discussed getting married. Senjougahara is right to be annoyed by that, I think.

I'd say she shouldn't count old ladies and little sisters, but since even Araragi was checking his little sister out, I can't blame her full scale.

So also this new dude shows up and he has hair that looks like Juna's when she is in her awful Super Saiyan mode. His theme song had me trying to figure out where I had heard it before. At first, I thought it was obviously the Legend of Zelda Dungeon theme, but upon listening to it, while similar in some ways, it wasn't quite right. Keeping the theme of video games in mind, I realized what I really meant was the intro to The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but even then, I wasn't fully convinced. Further investigation revealed that Kaiki's theme was, basically Edvard Grieg's In The Hall of the Mountain King.

Hasn't this been educational?

Don't believe Corvo's lies. Casshern Sins is one of the most unrelentingly depressing shows in existence. Although it is a better anime with Umakoshi character designs than Saint Seiya Omega.

Rat me out, why don't you?

mhs004

I didn't. I remember a couple threads ago about people ranting about how depressing it was. I was just playing along with the façade.

Watching Hunter X Hunter now. Thirty seconds in and I'm getting Fairy Tail vibes, so that's always a good sign (for me anyway).

I'm a huge HxH fan but I will say that I thought that the beggining was meh. Power through the first few episodes till they get to the
exam site
and prepare to get you're mind blown by the best character in fiction.

I like the art. What series is this?

Inari Konkon Koi Iroha. Art isn't up to this caliber as this seems to be a fan drawing if not a paid job, but the art style is decent enough. What wins is the characters. These two specifically, MC and her group of friends are ok at best.

As to the topic of Hunter X Hunter, for some reason I can't get into shonen action like this one or Hitman Reborn. Because the character designs kill me. Maybe I'm missing out, but eh dem spiky haired kids.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

In a certain sense this is the opposite of the original Space Battleship Yamato series - whereas in the original the mechanical animation was excellent while everything else was dull as dirt, in 2199 the weightless CG makes the ship combat look lame while everything else is enjoyable. The design work, both environmental and character, is impeccable in its seamless update of a classic sci-fi look, and makes the impending extinction of humanity a believable threat. The school lesson was a nice way to naturally present the backstory. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops once the setup is complete.

cnet128

Banned
Nisemonogatari 3

So also this new dude shows up and he has hair that looks like Juna's when she is in her awful Super Saiyan mode. His theme song had me trying to figure out where I had heard it before. At first, I thought it was obviously the Legend of Zelda Dungeon theme, but upon listening to it, while similar in some ways, it wasn't quite right. Keeping the theme of video games in mind, I realized what I really meant was the intro to The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but even then, I wasn't fully convinced. Further investigation revealed that Kaiki's theme was, basically Edvard Grieg's In The Hall of the Mountain King.

Hasn't this been educational?

Aw yiss, Kaiki is in da house.

As you may have gathered, he is the third male character I was referring to earlier who is definitely not Araragi's bro. Love that guy.

CorvoSol

No.........................................................................

Okay good. I was really confused for a minute.

I thought the whole Nadeko Snake arc would have tipped you off.

Hey man if Nadeko has herself a creepy big bro fetish that's one thing. If Araragi is checking out his little sisters and the writer decides they're actually 1st cousins as if that's meant to make it okay for him to bone them, then it is SAO.

Unless you're writing something from like, the Roman Empire or before, I don't want to hear your story having incest.

wonzo

Banned
Figured iwakura just poisoned another!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93629291&postcount=60
sabu.png

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Speaking of, I guess I should watch another episode tonight. Honestly Golden Boy and Monogatari have both been really enjoyable to me so far. I mean, I'm enjoying my mecha shows, but sometimes I need a palate cleanser.

I've watch Golden Boy lots and it never stops entertaining. Hell, I've gotten my fraternity brothers to watch it!

sonicmj1

Hey man if Nadeko has herself a creepy big bro fetish that's one thing. If Araragi is checking out his little sisters and the writer decides they're actually 1st cousins as if that's meant to make it okay for him to bone them, then it is SAO.

Unless you're writing something from like, the Roman Empire or before, I don't want to hear your story having incest.

Think of it like how episodes 4 and 7 of SAO established that every single girl would be after Kirito's dick. Everything that followed was just taking that to its logical conclusion.

Yuushibu 11

N5S8JlSl.jpg

THE POWER OF AN ARITHMETICIAN!

Ok, everything involving the boss was amazing. Everything not, wasn't. At least we got one more episode to goooooo!

CorvoSol

Think of it like how episodes 4 and 7 of SAO established that every single girl would be after Kirito's dick. Everything that followed was just taking that to its logical conclusion.

At the very least, though, Monogatari is aware that all women want Araragi's dick, even self-proclaimed lesbians, and makes gestures of dealing with the repercussions of that. It isn't much, but it is better than SAO.

Bombless

At the very least, though, Monogatari is aware that all women want Araragi's dick, even self-proclaimed lesbians, and makes gestures of dealing with the repercussions of that. It isn't much, but it is better than SAO.

Hold on to that thought for a while longer. You are about to be tested.

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 4

Oh what the fuck, that's some Brave New World shit there.

Fuck, the only thing that elicited anything other than empty smiles from those people is the vitriol they threw at Kino (well, before she was Kino) when she asked to not have the thought and soul removing operation. And then they were gonna smile as the inspector stabbed her to death. Fuck.

Well, that's one way to start a journey.

Gazoinks

Kino's Journey 4

Fuck, the only thing that elicited anything other than empty smiles from those people is the vitriol they threw at Kino (well, before she was Kino) when she asked to not have the thought and soul removing operation. And then they were gonna smile as the inspector stabbed her to death. Fuck.

Oh

Yeah

That was a dark episode

Well, looks like Hunter X Hunter it is for me then. A shame, cause I kinda liked the character designs on SSO. Ah well. Might as well give that a go.

Huh, sounds cool! Unfortunatley though, everyone else screamed Hunter X Hunter before you, so I feel obligated to go with the majority opinion and see how fun that is first.

Oh wait, you wanted upbeat and not depressing? Hunter x Hunter might not be a good choice then....

CorvoSol

You're about to reach the episode that turned me off from the franchise for good. I'll be curious to see your reaction.

Hoooooo boy.

Hold on to that thought for a while longer. You are about to be tested.

I like this show, I do, so I'd be pretty sad if it was ruined.

Golden Boy, Lesson 3

I have a lot to learn *nervous laugh* = this entire show.

This was an oddly serious episode, where Kintaro behaved a lot more politely, and where the girl wasn't even all that sexualized. Instead he spent his time defending her honor and treating her with an unusual amount of respect. It was sweet, and it, along with the gag facial expressions, reminded me a lot of GTO, actually.

Most of the episode wasn't as gut bustingly funny, as a result, but that cork-screw kiss had me in stitches.

Kino's Journey 4

Ohooo man that episode. So screwed up. Brace yourself, the depress express has only just begun.

Oh wait, you wanted upbeat and not depressing? Hunter x Hunter might not be a good choice then....

I don't know what you're talking about, I've reached episode 4 of Hunter X Hunter, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not expecting an anime to be all sunshine and rainbows 24/7. It can have its depressing moments (see: Gurren Lagann). It'll just make the upbeat moments all the more satisfying once the sadness is over.

Seeing that its a shounen, I'll write up my impressions every 15 episodes

There's still episode
. Then again,
every episode has some sort of dark tone to it if I recall

Oh I just HAD to be reminded of that one.

It still hurts.

Yeeeeah. What does it say at the beginning of the series? Something like "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is"?.

That is certainly one way to describe the series. I should probably watch the DVDs again before the winter season shows start.

It is saddening that the series will probably not be animated further nor will the LNs be license rescued.

I don't know what you're talking about, I've reached episode 4 of Hunter X Hunter, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not expecting an anime to be all sunshine and rainbows 24/7. It can have its depressing moments (see: Gurren Lagann). It'll just make the upbeat moments all the more satisfying once the sadness is over.

Seeing that its a shounen, I'll write up my impressions every 15 episodes

Yeah... see, those upbeat moments kind of... disappear.

Gazoinks

Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta 09

Somehow I feel like them summing up the OAD in the OP would just further confuse people who haven't seen them.

Zakuro's personality kind of completely changed, even from how it was before she got struck.

Anyway, pretty nice episode. The pacing on this one was nicely tight. The first half was your obligatory nice arc cool-down, but things then started getting real again in the second half.
Enjin is a dumb meany head.

CorvoSol

Gunbuster 3

Man that was a really depressing end to the episode. I mean yay I got to see the Gunbuster finally but, dang, man. I feel the need to just sit down and think about life or something. That was a heavy ending.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, I might as well continue. I doubt an adventure shounen could be as depressing as Kino's Journey or Madoka. And if it is, then it deserves a freaking medal.
Violinist of Hameln.

Madoka isn't even depressing. It's bittersweet.
Miyu TV is depressing, but that's not what you're talking about.

Bombless

Gunbuster 3

Man that was a really depressing end to the episode. I mean yay I got to see the Gunbuster finally but, dang, man. I feel the need to just sit down and think about life or something. That was a heavy ending.

Gunbuster is amazing. You make me want to watch it again.

CorvoSol

Nisemonogatari 4

I am NOT okay with the following:

Short haired, unbespectacled, suddenly scary to Senjougahara Hanekawa

Araragi's SUPER FUCKING CREEPY NAKED BATHTIME WITH A PREPUBESCENT GIRL. I DON'T CARE IF SHE IS A MILLION YEAR OLD VAMPIRE. IT WAS CREEPY IN FIRE EMBLEM, IT IS CREEPY AS FUCK NOW.

Like HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN can this white foam be ANY MORE SUGGESTIVE? DID I MENTION THIS IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND CREEPY? HOLY FUCK.

OH GOD THEN SHE GETS IN THE TUB WITH HIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then they pose naked with her face positioned toward his crotch.

Then we move on to foot play.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Syrinx

Nisemonogatari 4

Araragi's SUPER FUCKING CREEPY NAKED BATHTIME WITH A PREPUBESCENT GIRL. I DON'T CARE IF SHE IS A MILLION YEAR OLD VAMPIRE. IT WAS CREEPY IN FIRE EMBLEM, IT IS CREEPY AS FUCK NOW.

Like HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN can this white foam be ANY MORE SUGGESTIVE? DID I MENTION THIS IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND CREEPY? HOLY FUCK.

OH GOD THEN SHE GETS IN THE TUB WITH HIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
For the record, this isn't even the episode that people were talking about.

I suddenly feel ill.

CorvoSol

Probably the only thing I found offensive about the episode.

It was the first sign something was deeply wrong. The harbinger of depravity I had hiterto not expected.

But noted. Long ass
nude bath scenes for 8 year olds, but teenagers and women, cover that shit up.

Nisemonogatari 4

Then they pose naked with her face positioned toward his crotch.

Then we move on to foot play.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

I don't think this was the episode people were referring to, but I've been through worse, so meh.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hoooooo boy.

I like this show, I do, so I'd be pretty sad if it was ruined.

Golden Boy, Lesson 3

I have a lot to learn *nervous laugh* = this entire show.

This was an oddly serious episode, where Kintaro behaved a lot more politely, and where the girl wasn't even all that sexualized. Instead he spent his time defending her honor and treating her with an unusual amount of respect. It was sweet, and it, along with the gag facial expressions, reminded me a lot of GTO, actually.

Most of the episode wasn't as gut bustingly funny, as a result, but that cork-screw kiss had me in stitches.

The next two episodes are back in form and boy howdy are they. The last episode is simply just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom