• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

But that was a massive upgrade for her. She looks so much better without glasses or long hair.

No, but you see, it ruins the transformation, now. Hanekawa was great because she had the Hollywood Nerd braids and coke bottle lenses until she became sexy cat woman.

Soma

Short hair is undoubtedly a superior hairstyle and I would prefer it on any other character EXCEPT Hanekawa.

Glasses + Pigtail design is my kryptonite :(

fertygo

No, but you see, it ruins the transformation, now. Hanekawa was great because she had the Hollywood Nerd braids and coke bottle lenses until she became sexy cat woman.

She looked smexier with the short hair later..

I'll defend short hair in monogatari to the death.
Short hair is undoubtedly a superior hairstyle and I would prefer it on any other character EXCEPT Hanekawa.

Lies. I never seeing you promoting short hair waifu. Hmph!

CorvoSol

That vampire was de-aged!

It's one thing to say this when we're talking Kafei and Anju and the world is about to end and it is just one more tragedy on top of that. It's another thing entirely when
she's in the tub with him shoving her butt toward his face and teasing him about it.

That whole scene was wrong.

Also Cat doesn't get to have long hair now.

Also I am a long hair man.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nisio took Hanekawa and Senjogahara's hair. SHAFT took Araragi's abs. I have a hard time deciding who the bigger monster is.

It's one thing to say this when we're talking Kafei and Anju and the world is about to end and it is just one more tragedy on top of that. It's another thing entirely when
she's in the tub with him shoving her butt toward his face and teasing him about it.

That whole scene was wrong.

Well they're already close, they just got physical with it.

CorvoSol

Well they're already close, they just got physical with it.

Sometimes trains get physical with each other because of proximity, and amidst that carnage of twisted steel and mangled corpses, I'm still not entirely sure it's less horrific than this scene was.

This was a bad scene that did not need to ever happen.

Now I want to know what it was. I've gone through this show pretty much unoffended. Aside from the hair cutting.

I think it was 8? I mean if it is, 4 kinda has it beat with Shinobu and the hair cutting, but yeah.

Sometimes trains get physical with each other because of proximity, and amidst that carnage of twisted steel and mangled corpses, I'm still not entirely sure it's less horrific than this scene was.

Well someone died via train, something that can't be stopped, versus this scene, where no one died, and could be stopped by the viewer. But you let it happen, you monster!

CorvoSol

I think it was 8? I mean if it is, 4 kinda has it beat with Shinobu and the hair cutting, but yeah.

Well someone died via train, something that can't be stopped, versus this scene, where no one died, and could be stopped by the viewer. But you let it happen, you monster!

I could stop this by turning away as much as I could have stopped the train by turning away. Ignoring awful things doesn't mean they didn't happen.

fertygo

The funniest thing is that Araragi have the least sexual interest to Shinobu than other girl in the show even compared to his..

fake edit: you must see it for yourselves, I can't see you sticking the show to the season 2, nyahahaha

Ghost Hunt Story Arc I: If the House is a'rockin don't bother knockin'

I actually really enjoyed this first arc, and the show itself so far. In fact outside of the main female protagonist having her anime moments every now and then, this story could be in any format (western, eastern, live, etc...). I gotta give it props for that.

Don't know if it'll keep up the quality or get better, but the side characters all had personalities except for 1 or 2 of them who as of right now are can still be classified with an anime trope (dandere, pretty foreigner, etc...).

I could stop this by turning away as much as I could have stopped the train by turning away. Ignoring awful things doesn't mean they didn't happen.

But you have no control over a train as much as you have control over the video. You could've ended it right there, but unfortunately curiosity has led you astray to view such a scene. And you saw the worst of it. And now you're forever tainted with seeing loli butt and foot fetish in the bathtubs. Because you let it happen.

I can't help but see someone take this seriously

CorvoSol

The funniest thing is that Araragi have the least sexual interest to Shinobu than other girl in the show even compared to his..

fake edit: you must see it for yourselves, I can't see you sticking the show to the season 2, nyahahaha

I dunno. He seemed more oblivious of Sengoku sexually than an 8 year old girl.

I really don't know where to go with this show now. I mean, I was fine but you don't just sexualize an 8 year old girl and expect that to be totally okay. And you can't even defend this by saying "Hey man 8 year olds bathe and that's not sexual at all" because 8 year olds don't thrust their asses at teenage boys and call that not sexualizing things at all and I dunno, this episode was just really, really awful.

I mean let's move beyond the child nudity, shall we? It still was a shit episode. Last episode Araragi leaves Senjougahara after getting a text from his sister with the ominous "help me." Cut to this episode and we've just missed the ENTIRE explanation. As in that entire conversation happens off screen. Hanekawa is there and her hair and glasses are just gone. We don't even find out what it was that Araragi was meant to help with in this episode. We get bits and pieces at the very end of the episode of what is going on, but not why Araragi got a text saying "help me".

The only positive point from a story-telling point in this entire episode was Hanekawa's beating around the bush of what she would do to threaten Senjougahara, and even then that was vague and inconsistent. "I said I would ask you out"? When the Hanekawa Cat arc ended, she had forgotten all about its events, allegedly, and it was supposed to require time for her sort her feelings out.

Frankly it has been 5 episodes and suddenly Hanekawa is an entirely different character with no explanation.

This whole episode was really bad. Like the entire series had been going well until this, and then the train just crashed in a pretty big way.

But you have no control over a train as much as you have control over the video. You could've ended it right there, but unfortunately curiosity has led you astray to view such a scene. And you saw the worst of it. And now you're forever tainted with seeing loli butt and foot fetish in the bathtubs. Because you let it happen.

I can't help but see someone take this seriously

But the "close your eyes and look away" solution could work just as well for the train as this lengthy tribute to loli butt.

duckroll

Kyousougiga - Episode 9

The first half was pretty badly executed. Watching someone slowly walk from the right side of the screen to the left side while droning on and on with exposition is not compelling or interesting direction. But I guess filling time with stuff like that isn't alien to this series, since there isn't that much content to begin with. When things finally ramped up again in the second half it was pretty interesting.

Which leads us to the question about the central theme in the entire story - in the end, was it really just a tale of survivor's guilt? It seems that way to me.
We always thought initially that it was about a couple creating a world and then running away from it when there was danger, leaving their children abandoned. But that's really not it is it?

The world, the rulers, everything was really created for a boy who should be dead. A boy whose (mis)fortune(?) was being found by someone who happened to have the power of creation itself, but really didn't feel like doing anything else with it until then. His powers gave the boy new parents, a new life, new siblings, and eventually a new world. All the gifts a god can give, but nothing the boy really wanted at all. It really... kinda sucks for him, and for everyone else who was "made" just to attempt to give him something to live for. I don't really blame him for feeling the way he does at this point, but at least he's going to step it up.

Pretty strange and disturbing when you think about it! I guess the final part of the puzzle in the story is going to be Koto herself. It's pretty clear at this point that she's the actual biological child, and something which wasn't meant to happen. It could well be that the answer in the end is that what saves the world is the fact that he feels he really does have a sister, instead of something easily made (and abandoned) by magical powers.

Because closing a window takes more time, I dunno, because clicking an x to close the window doesn't suit my argument.

Well needless to say, you've seen what I think was probably the worst of... it...

I think... I can think of some moments... I'm not sure how you'll handle those.

fertygo

I dunno. He seemed more oblivious of Sengoku sexually than an 8 year old girl.
*snip*

Well he's certified pedophile lol

Btw yeah, Nise is the most pervert part of the franchise, NisioisiN (the writer) like putting all his sexual fantasy to the book. The anime ESPECIALLY putting effort and focus to that.. URGH

So yeah maybe you gonna turned off with the series after this LOL

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, I actually kind of thought the show dedicated a lot of time to making sure you knew he was a terrible person.

Utena moral: People with long hair are assholes.

By episode 10, the show makes it crystal clear he's an asshole of the highest order.

sonicmj1

Yeah, I actually kind of thought the show dedicated a lot of time to making sure you knew he was a terrible person.

Utena moral: People with long hair are assholes.

Look, I don't think you understand. He's an attractive young man. He's probably just misunderstood, and in need of some close male companionship.

Ghost Hunt Story Arc II: All's Well that ends Well 4-6
aMcD3HZ.jpg

Another great story arc. This seems to be based off a full novel series vs a light novel, will have to confirm but the fact it isn't written with anime tropes is already making it stick out. I think one of the few LN's that followed a similar quality was Spice and Wolf. The characters in here were fleshed out a bit more, so now instead of being one-off side characters that would have been replaced, like in many others episodic tv shows would do, we get a nice cast. That's a massive strength as the rest of the "ghost hunting" team are great.

duHd6jV.jpg

Has anyone else in AnimeGAF seen this? It's pretty fantastic. The arc proved that the feeling I got of a non-anime media wasn't off. The only other anime that was similar in the team hunting ghosts genre was the anime by MADHouse based off Supernatural, and that was straight up promotional material for Supernatural. I don't know if it's a trend, but at least in western horror movies the films with ghost hunters in a house with equipment seems to be becoming more popular. And so far this has been fantastic.

Quasar

Has anyone else in AnimeGAF seen this? It's pretty fantastic. The arc proved that the feeling I got of a non-anime media wasn't off. I don't know if it's a trend, but at least in western horror movies the films with ghost hunters in a house with equipment seems to be becoming more popular. And so far this has been fantastic.

Yeah. I ran across it on Netflix a couple of months ago. I really liked it. Would have watched more. Sadly all they did was the existing stories.

Infinite Stratos S2 11 - This series isn't just the anime anime fans want, it's the anime series anime fans need! This episode slows things down a bit. Instead of the crazy antics of earlier in the season, this time the school is on a trip visiting famous ancient Japanese sites in Kyoto (the favorite school-trip spot!). While looking at the sites the girls chase Ichika around, everybody wants a photo with him, etc. It's predictable stuff, but entertaining. I like the slower, less crazy pace this episode has. If only this could be a longer series, then maybe we could get more episodes like this... that'd be great! Yes, overall the episode was bad as always. But it's good-bad. This is one of my favorite episodes of IS this season.

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-027cjr1.jpg

Don't deny it, you liked it, Ichika...

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-0248kz0.jpg

What could possibly be inside? Watch the episode to see the aftermath!

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-02wvjpv.jpg

Britain's poem is nice.

So, at the beginning, after they arrive, the horde of girls run over Ichika in their eagerness to get past. Heh. After that, it's a mixture of fanservice scenes and showing off these traditional Japanese locations. Britain says a little poem while looking at a falling leaf (very Japanese), France accidentally shows Ichika her panties while reaching for his camera lens cap under a wooden floor, Russia Jr. reacts to Ichika's 'gift package' by
pushing her sister back into the giant piece of luggage, throwing it on the truck, and then watching it drive away... (though Russa Sr. actually didn't go anywhere, of course; that wasn't nearly enough to get her.)
:lol, yeah, that last one was funny, and the first one was nice. The middle wasn't that great, but it had Char in it, so that helped. There's more; there is also the segment where everyone wants a photo with him. Poor Britain gets trolled, when she
thinks Ichika is taking a photo of her, but actually he's taking one of the tree next to her, so she's half cut off...
Oh well, it's only Britain getting left out, not too bad... :p

It all began innocently enough. "Were you going on a date," China asked as Ichika and Char arrived together...
vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03zdjxj.jpg

Char denied it...

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03cdkgt.jpg

... But then Ichika said one of the stupidest things he's ever said.

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03rpj8i.jpg

The result was predictable and well deserved. Poor girls...

The longest section of the episode begins when, one after another, four of the haremites (all but Houki) show up at the shrine that is supposed to help with love and pour some water on the statue to ask for its blessing, even though none of the four, of course, are Japanese (or Buddhist). This bit was actually amusing, thanks to China's, and then also Britain's, excuses for why they are there making an offering at a Japanese shrine. Germany, naturally, is unashamed about it. Then Ichika shows up too, with France (coming there from a fanservice scene right before), and Ichika makes one of his trademarked, impossibly dense statements which rightly earns him an angry chase, as the girls are not thrilled with his idiocy. Incredibly cliche? Yes, but it was executed well, and I thought it was funny. Yeah, yeah, but it was. Ichika's unbelievable denseness is quite the font of entertainment.

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-037xkn8.jpg

Nohohon (Pika-tan) in kimono!

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03hgkfq.jpg

Laura looking at (cute) food while blushing quite a bit. The little story in her head that precedes this shot is cute and a bit creepy, perhaps...

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03lgkoi.jpg

Houki and Ichika in a very Japanese place. Because this episode is all about them going to traditional Japanese sites in the old capital.

Then, while running away, Ichika runs into Pika-tan and Kanzashi (Russia Jr.), who are in kimonos. Pika-tan makes several cameo appearances in this episode, which is one more good thing about it. Now that they finally remembered that she exists, she's appearing a bit in each episode. Took them long enough... anyway, him and Russia Jr. bump into Houki while trying to escape from the others. The whole group go off to eat some food, and Laura has an amusing scene where she imagines some cute bunny deserts talking to her while she decides if they are too cute to eat or not. Then, one unseen escape later, it's on to a scene with Houki alone. More photo-taking, but that makes sense on a trip... and it's a decent scene, for this show. Then they move on to that famous high "stage", and there are some more amusing antics there.

vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03rnjbt.jpg

All of them at once? But no, it's not an actual mass glomping, just a lot of girls who want to see the photos he took...

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-12-14-035djbq.jpg
Nice imagery. I guess the budget they saved in the last few episodes at least in part went towards making this one look better.

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-12-14-03ntj2q.jpg
This showdown should be interesting!

The episode ends with Ichika dropping his camera off of the stage after being mobbed by girls who want to see his photos. I guess it didn't break, through some miracle? Then
the villains attack! They'd been seen earlier in the episode, or at least one had, and their attack was expected, but they waited until almost the end of the day before they made their move. Once Ichika went down to get that camera, Madoka attacks him. Their fight will be next episode, but she did say that her real goal is to kill Chifuyu. Most of the rest of the girls are on the monorail train home, which locked them in. (What, just have some of them summon their ISes and break out? They haven't thought of that yet... maybe next episode?) The only ones free are Houki and, unfortunately, Britain. Why her, and not, well, anyone else... I hope that the others come to help soon. They'll be facing off against spider-robot lady. Meanwhile, Russia Sr. is facing the enemy leader, the blonde woman. This episode just sets up the scene, though -- the actual fights will be next time.

Overall, of course, sure, sure, objectively this episode was mostly pointless. As usual plot progression was minimal, and all characters involved in this episode showed off how incredibly stupid they are. But by this point viewers surely expect that, and their stupidity, and predictability, are entertaining, I think. Yes, I liked this episode, it was fun. I'm still smiling a bit while thinking about it.... until I think that there is probably only one more episode in this series. That's unfortunate, and I really hope that this season does well despite how big of a downgrade it is overall from S1. We need more IS! Make it all anime-original, I don't care, just make it! Preferably have the S1 team come back to do the series, but this group isn't too bad. A few of the seasons' episodes are competent, this one included. I need more IS, more than just one more episode...

Infinite Stratos S2 11

So we go from the worst episode of the season, to the most boring episode in the season.

Remember when they tried (and succeeded) making quality filler back in EP 5?

Good times.

Here it's just a mixture of fighting to stay awake from all the dullness and sighing in exasperation for the umpteenth time over how stupid everyone became since the season started.

I don't even want to mention how bad the setup is for the next episode. Especially since I actually rammed through the LN's last week and realized how completely butchered the whole thing is.

*Sigh

On the bright side of things, I found out Yuuki Homura is doing gods work and giving us more art of Fox Priestess Houki.

Bless him for this and for making sure the manga focuses on what truly matters.

Yeah, no. This episode was good. Sure, it was slow, but that's not always a bad thing! I wish the series was longer, so we could get more episodes like this...

Pooya

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu Irohanihoheto 1-2

1387009977-2.jpg

well, let's just say that I started to quite like Yuusuke Kozaki character designs and really dig his style.

1387009975-1.jpg

^this is from Kyoko Karasuma not this show obviously.

so I wanted to try anime he did designs for and there are only 2 (aside from Donyatsu I'm not into that), This and Speed Grapher, and this was a tough tough choice between GONZO and SUNRISE... I'm primarily interested in art and this one looks way better and SG is looking kinda creepy... even though I'm not really interested in this history period, still could be fun I guess. I'm essentially going blind and expectations are super low in case it sucks ass.

Well, this didn't disappoint for that it does look nice enough, music is pretty repetitive and I'm not sure about this story or where it's going from two episodes yet. I'll keep watching for now.

You could say I'm a fan so far, derp
1387010384-6.gif

Soma

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 End

So whould've thought that Studio Xebec of all places would come out with not only a serious contender for anime of the year but also one of the best sci-fi anime shows in recent memory?

All in all, a fantastic ride on all fronts. The art direction was impeccable, the battles were some of the most intense I've watched despite them being primarily CG, and the cast really grew on me over time. Captain Okita remained a very compelling character from beginning to end but much of the Yamato crew (and surprisingly a lot of the Garmillan cast) had some very pivotal moments through out the show.

The CG really felt like it improved as the show went on but a strong art direction really benefited it. The ship structures, the otherworldly architecture, and even the character designs all came together to form a very cohesive product. This was a damn good looking show. The later episodes provided some of the most intense battles I've watched in a recent anime. Every impact felt significant and the superb sound design elevated them to an even higher level.

Two minor "complaints" though:

The whole Ghost/Spirit of the ship deal kinda seemed a little silly at times and conveniently implemented for the sake of story (especially in the case of Mori in the last episode). I guess I just have to chalk it up as Iscandar voodoo but in the end it's definitely not something that ruins the show by any means.

THE HOUND needed a lot more screen time.

That said, it was hard to watch the last episode without getting just a little bit teary-eyed. It'd be really nice to see more people watch this and have this show get the recognition it deserves.

Vito

Banned
Look dude, at least bother throwing the article through google translate to find out it's being directed by the TV series director Ayumu Watanabe at A-1, features a new story written by the manga author and is planned for summer.

Jex

Nisemonogatari 4

I am NOT okay with the following:

Short haired, unbespectacled, suddenly scary to Senjougahara Hanekawa

Araragi's SUPER FUCKING CREEPY NAKED BATHTIME WITH A PREPUBESCENT GIRL. I DON'T CARE IF SHE IS A MILLION YEAR OLD VAMPIRE. IT WAS CREEPY IN FIRE EMBLEM, IT IS CREEPY AS FUCK NOW.

Like HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN can this white foam be ANY MORE SUGGESTIVE? DID I MENTION THIS IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND CREEPY? HOLY FUCK.

OH GOD THEN SHE GETS IN THE TUB WITH HIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then they pose naked with her face positioned toward his crotch.

Then we move on to foot play.

FUCK FUCK FUCK
Hahahaha yeah. There's so much of that garbage in various -gatari stories that it's barely worth mentioning anymore but you're having the correct reaction.

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

In a certain sense this is the opposite of the original Space Battleship Yamato series - whereas in the original the mechanical animation was excellent while everything else was dull as dirt, in 2199 the weightless CG makes the ship combat look lame while everything else is enjoyable. The design work, both environmental and character, is impeccable in its seamless update of a classic sci-fi look, and makes the impending extinction of humanity a believable threat. The school lesson was a nice way to naturally present the backstory. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops once the setup is complete.

You may be happy to hear that after the first 2 or 3 episodes they actually fix the CG ships being completely weightless.

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu Irohanihoheto 1-2

so I wanted to try anime he did designs for and there are only 2 (aside from Donyatsu I'm not into that), This and Speed Grapher, and this was a tough tough choice between GONZO and SUNRISE... I'm primarily interested in art and this one looks way better and SG is looking kinda creepy... even though I'm not really interested in this history period, still could be fun I guess. I'm essentially going blind and expectations are super low in case it sucks ass.

Oh Speed Grapher. So much potential to be a fantastic anime. Its setting is noir at its best, but it took such a dive to the mediocre after a couple of episodes and basically devolved into "ridiculous anime baddie of the week" power rangers style, and the animation quality dropped exponentially (if I recall correctly)

If there's ONE positive aspect that nobody can deny it's this: It has one of the best OP's of all time. GIRLS ON FILM. SHE'S MORE THAN A LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADY, GIRLS ON FILM

Jex

[Samurai Flamenco] - 10

Jesus Christ the writing for this show really is off the charts. It's hard to believe how consistent, and how funny, it's been throughout.

cnet128

Banned
Nisemonogatari 4

I am NOT okay with the following:

Short haired, unbespectacled, suddenly scary to Senjougahara Hanekawa

Ahah, yeah, if there's one thing you don't want to get attached to in this series, it's hairstyles. Nisio loooooves to switch those up. Even Araragi himself spends the entire series slowly growing his hair out (though he has a legitimate reason - to cover up the vampire bite marks on his neck).

Araragi's SUPER FUCKING CREEPY NAKED BATHTIME WITH A PREPUBESCENT GIRL. I DON'T CARE IF SHE IS A MILLION YEAR OLD VAMPIRE. IT WAS CREEPY IN FIRE EMBLEM, IT IS CREEPY AS FUCK NOW.

Like HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN can this white foam be ANY MORE SUGGESTIVE? DID I MENTION THIS IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND CREEPY? HOLY FUCK.

OH GOD THEN SHE GETS IN THE TUB WITH HIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then they pose naked with her face positioned toward his crotch.

Then we move on to foot play.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Bahahahaha. I loved that scene, but you knew that already. Shinobu da bes (or at least she would be da bes if she wasn't in a series that contained characters as godly as Hachikuji).

*continues to wait with bated breath for Corvo's reactions to episode

I mean let's move beyond the child nudity, shall we? It still was a shit episode. Last episode Araragi leaves Senjougahara after getting a text from his sister with the ominous "help me." Cut to this episode and we've just missed the ENTIRE explanation. As in that entire conversation happens off screen. Hanekawa is there and her hair and glasses are just gone. We don't even find out what it was that Araragi was meant to help with in this episode. We get bits and pieces at the very end of the episode of what is going on, but not why Araragi got a text saying "help me".

The only positive point from a story-telling point in this entire episode was Hanekawa's beating around the bush of what she would do to threaten Senjougahara, and even then that was vague and inconsistent. "I said I would ask you out"? When the Hanekawa Cat arc ended, she had forgotten all about its events, allegedly, and it was supposed to require time for her sort her feelings out.

Frankly it has been 5 episodes and suddenly Hanekawa is an entirely different character with no explanation.

Eh, I don't think there's anything particularly inconsistent about what happens here.

Araragi hasn't got a proper explanation of the situation yet because Karen is a stubborn brat who doesn't want to show weakness in front of her big brother, and once Araragi saw that she wasn't in any immediate danger, he for his part was preoccupied with getting angry with her. These siblings just looooove to fight. Araragi knows that Karen is just being stubborn in not giving a proper explanation, which is why he's going to get the full story out of Tsukihi and Hanekawa next episode.

As for the "changes" to Hanekawa, I wouldn't say she's particularly changed, we're just seeing a slightly different side of her. With regard to her memories, I'm not 100% on this, but I think she is supposed to remember the events of the Tsubasa Cat arc at this point? I know she lost almost all her memories of her first cat incident in Golden Week after that one was over, but those mostly returned during her second incident, and I don't think she lost them again. Could be remembering slightly wrong idk.

The haircut, I believe, was an intentional sign of her determination to change after everything that had happened (isn't it always?) so it makes sense if she's acting a little differently, but I'd say what we see of her here is fairly in line with how she's always been. Hanekawa has always been presented as a somewhat scary individual, largely in terms of her unnatural obsession with being "perfect" (and even more unnatural success at being "perfect"), and there's a certain element of quiet ruthlessness behind that. The fact that she knows exactly how to get under Senjougahara's skin (and is no longer afraid to use
her own feelings for Araragi
to achieve that) is really just an extension of that.

Most of this stuff is explained quite fully in the novels, but I guess the adaptation might have hurt the clarity of some of these points.

But yeah, consistency aside, you should probably be aware that the narrative in Nisemonogatari in general is often considered one of the low points of the series. It certainly has its moments (anything involving Kaiki, some of the wonderful non-story-related moments like Hachikuji's "courage" speech, the hilarious levels that the perversion reaches at points), but overall it's not quite as strong as most of the other arcs.

Soma

Friend on Facebook said:
Kara no Kyoukai is better than Fate Zero. I'll stake my word on that. If you haven't watched it, you need to.

Sometimes I feel that I need to rethink my friend list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom