• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for some reason, I just had to dream about Kill La Kill, in where we get a time skip of undetermined amount of time, and there was a circus performance of sorts at the Academy.

Mako's family was working there as doctors, except Mako's dad was only good for pets. And the end bit had
Ryuko and Satsuki attacking Narume in unison

Gazoinks

Sometimes I feel that I need to rethink my friend list...

I really need to get around to watching movie 5. I didn't like 1-3 much at all, but everyone says 5 is great even if you didn't like the rest.

Cowboy: The Bebop 06
*manly tears*
This episode was less good compared to the last one but still good.
It feels that with the introductions out of the way the show can finally shine.

First time watch.
For me, at least, I feel like Cowboy and The Bebops got consistently better pretty much right up to the last episode. First quarter is pretty good, second quarter is better, third quarter is really good, fourth quarter is great.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
*manly tears*

Ah this reminds me, I stopped watching Bebop when the latest semester started, I should probably finish it up before I move on to attack on titan.

CorvoSol

Hahahaha yeah. There's so much of that garbage in various -gatari stories that it's barely worth mentioning anymore but you're having the correct reaction.

I'm really glad to hear that somebody else found it really awful, because the way everybody was so nonchalant about this had me sort of unnerved.

Eh, I don't think there's anything particularly inconsistent about what happens here.

Most of this stuff is explained quite fully in the novels, but I guess the adaptation might have hurt the clarity of some of these points.

But yeah, consistency aside, you should probably be aware that the narrative in Nisemonogatari in general is often considered one of the low points of the series. It certainly has its moments (anything involving Kaiki, some of the wonderful non-story-related moments like Hachikuji's "courage" speech, the hilarious levels that the perversion reaches at points), but overall it's not quite as strong as most of the other arcs.

I just felt this whole episode was all over the place. It didn't have the focus that previous episodes did at all. The in media res the episode began with was really jarring because it started with all manner of changes, and Karen's sickness doesn't even become apparent until well into the second half of the episode.

EDIT: Shinobu's character fine, sure, whatever I had no problems. That was not the source of my complaint.

Oh man. you are going to wig the fuck out later on.

I have a figurine of Hanekawa in this form. Soooo good.

Why would you bother with a figurine of not cat Hanekawa?

Is this your first time through Gunbuster? If you are like this now wait till you get further.

This is my first time through Gunbuster, yes.

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - 1 - 47 [END]

Probably my favorite among 0079 and Zeta that came before it. Judau was a really likeable lead, and it was refreshing to have one that wouldn't submit to the authority of adults like the two protagonists before him. It still had that somewhat silly theme of all the girls flocking towards the main character, but at least with this installment it also provided some yuri-goggles for Roux and Elle. While there was never a situation you could consider the two to be close, their constant bickering gave enough material for their shipping to be possible. I felt the second half of the show was stronger than the first, probably because they diverted the focus from a comedic tone to a more serious approach, which was necessary when you're building up to the eventual showdown between Judau and Haman.

Haman Karn continues to be one of my favorite antagonists from the UC timeline
just wished she didn't bit the dust in the final battle against Judau T_T.

Oh, and glad
to see that Kamille apparently recovered from his mindfuck from last season.

Onwards to Char's Counterattack!

You and I are now blood brothers.

Jex

Valvrave 22
Really hard to see how this will all tie up though they are probably leading to some sort of leading ending that will lead to season 3. They practically wasted an entire episode in terms of plot progresson

That's one way to see it but, really, L-Elf and Haruto's relationship really needed that time to develop considering how pivotal it is to the series/story. It's just weird that we're so close to the end.

LordCanti

Monogatari...uhh...this weeks. 20? Maybe?

This wasn't as great as the last episode, but I still enjoyed it. I'd imagine that this would have been better in book form, and I'm a bit annoyed that we didn't get a peek into
her closet
, but it was obviously setting up the next one. There's a lot of that going around.

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam - 1 - 47 [END]

Probably my favorite among 0079 and Zeta that came before it.

I think I'm having a panic attack.

This may not be an opinion shared by many, but I salute you for watching all three before making up your mind.

Theonik

For me, at least, I feel like Cowboy and The Bebops got consistently better pretty much right up to the last episode. First quarter is pretty good, second quarter is better, third quarter is really good, fourth quarter is great.
Well I plan to wrap up the first quarter tonight so we'll see I guess.

Ah this reminds me, I stopped watching Bebop when the latest semester started, I should probably finish it up before I move on to attack on titan.
You probably should!
Attack on Titan is ewwwwww

You're in for a ride.

That's one way to see it but, really, L-Elf and Haruto's relationship really needed that time to develop considering how pivotal it is to the series/story. It's just weird that we're so close to the end.
Watch S3 be announced soon. Or teased in the ending of S2.

Very tempting.

I guess that means the UK release will be some point in autumn 2015, then. :v

At least Manga will have the advantage of knowing if anyone's prepared to stock Senran Kagura, since Burst is getting a retail release over here (largely due to Zen United being entirely populated by insane people. Arcana Heart 3 also got a retail release... of the 360 version), although the other big question is what rating will the BBFC give it?

cajunator

Banned
*manly tears*

First time watch.

Oh wow. Cool stuff to be experiencing the first time.

Man I couldn't stand Log Horizon's OP at first,
now im addicted and can't get it out of my head.

Its addictive but not actually good.

I'm really glad to hear that somebody else found it really awful, because the way everybody was so nonchalant about this had me sort of unnerved.

I just felt this whole episode was all over the place. It didn't have the focus that previous episodes did at all. The in media res the episode began with was really jarring because it started with all manner of changes, and Karen's sickness doesn't even become apparent until well into the second half of the episode.

EDIT: Shinobu's character fine, sure, whatever I had no problems. That was not the source of my complaint.

Why would you bother with a figurine of not cat Hanekawa?

You and I are now blood brothers.

Who said shes not a catgirl?
yeq7KbO.jpg

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 11

Man, this show is just so enjoyable, the episodes feel like they're over in an instant. The pacing is killing me (in a good way)!

More good politics, the interactions with the former NPCs are going to be pretty interesting, I think. Looks like this arc is going to focus on the politics on one half and the newbs on the other, nice way of keeping some action in without sacrificing the politics. I will never remember his name, but I like Sparkly.

I like how Shiroe is completely ignorant of everyone being terrified of him. It's cool seeing a plotting protag who's not meant to be semi-villainous like Light and Lelouch.

Saint Seiya Omega Ep 82
tumblr_mxgyu4o0tA1saazguo4_400.gif

Alright episode, Ikki v Aegaeon was an alirhgt fight but this is Saint Seiya Omega so I would have rather have had Subaru or Koga fight instead of the old saint. in any event the words and message was good and it did give Subaru his best lines yet. Impossible for anyone to dislike Subaru anymore as he has actually shown character growth through this anime and even earned the friendship card from Eden, that speaks volumes of his goodness.

Log Horizon 11

Looks like we're doing the split plot lines again and both are pretty interesting so that's great.

Nice to see focus on the lower level characters and at the same time, see ROYAL NEGOTIATIONS.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 11

Aw

Good episode. I think this one benefited from focusing on Touma instead of more Haruki running around giving everyone mixed messages (
till the ending at least
).

DURAMA.

Funi finally announced home releases for a few things
The Devil is a Part-Timer will release on Blu-ray and DVD in summer 2014!
Hetalia: The Beautiful World - The boys are back and will be hitting shelves on DVD in summer 2014!
Senran Kagura These ninja ladies are bouncing onto shelves on Blu-ray and DVD in summer 2014!

Probably will get The Devil is a Part-timer later, and Hetalia: TBW after I finish World Series.

I know FUNi will probably never release Minami-ke, but I would like some closure soon so I know if I have to resort to importing the four seasons before the BD-Boxes go OOP.

Mortemis

Banned
Kuroko no Basuke

Finally they won, was getting tired of Hanamiya and his team's shit. Go Go Seirin!

They're hyping the winter cup so damn much. It's gonna be crazy, can't wait.

Kuroko no Basuke

Finally they won, was getting tired of Hanamiya and his team's shit. Go Go Seirin!

They're hyping the winter cup so damn much. It's gonna be crazy, can't wait.
It would have been interesting if Kuroko DID get hit. His comparison of the GenMira and Kirisaki was well done too.
Can't wait for Kuroko's old team to meet up before the Winter Cup!

Hot springs episode next!

Quasar

IS 2 - 11
This is incredible ..you cannot make a more boring and predictable school trip episode if you tried
Boring.png

To all Gaffers , think of the most boring school trip episode you can , and it will not be as generic and boring as this episode was .

I didn't mind it. Found it somewhat pleasant. I liked that Houki got some alone time without the others interferring and for probably the first episode all season I think the girls never got violent.

I would have made it a little briefer to give a bit more time to the 'big plot'.

Though I still think its kind of weird that what amounts to a military academy teaching kids how to use death machines still goes out on organised beach trip and temple visits.

Having read the books , I ..cannot ... Argh*

So...having to read that part at least how did the trip go differently?

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 07
Man can they get a bounty alive at least once? God.
Another good episode. Still not as exciting as 05 but good none-the-less.
Spike's character has been the most interesting so far which makes sense I guess.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 11

Excellent episode. We get the conclusion to the match and
we get set for the Winter Cup. They had all the GoM excited at the end.
Next week the fujoshi are going to love it.
It's the hot springs episode.

edit: Great shot from the episode

Theonik

Code:Breaker 03
So much AKU for AKU.
SHE STILL DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING.
Also I assume Hitomi is that Satou Kaiba looking bloke from the OP.

mhs004

Kuroko no Basket S2 11

Excellent episode. We get the conclusion to the match and
we get set for the Winter Cup. They had all the GoM excited at the end.
Next week the fujoshi are going to love it.
It's the hot springs episode.
Can't wait to read DTL's review of it.

So...having to read that part at least how did the trip go differently?

My problem with IS is not the events that are happenning but how those events are presented to the viewers.

I consider the Ln and the anime to be entire different entities in that aspect.

Wasting screen time on useless fillers only to butcher what could be alright moments in context

Strike the Blood 11

Refrain from washing that jacket of yours anytime soon Kojou.

Princess seems fun and definitely has a nice body.

Really hard to take Yukina crying over him at the end seriously when he got revived after having his head cutoff not that long ago.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 24 (Koi 4)

Kaikiservice is best service.

Unexpected Cat arrival! It's too bad she dyes her hair most of the time cause that striped look owns y'all.

Kaiki is well into the Senjou/Shinobu zone of "I could spend an hour just listening to them talk"

Valvrave the Liberator 21-22

Shit just got real. o_O

Everything is fucked. I was starting to lose interest in this series, but now it's got its hooks back into me.

Infinite Stratos 2 Ep.11

I admit, I liked the first season, as well as the beginning eps of this season, but... it's just been a steady decline from that point. I don't think I even care who these mysterious bad guys are anymore.

Kill la Kill Episode 11 - Im Not Your Cute Woman
BbeWf8iIIAAQ3ON.jpg

If he could please. Wow I think the second time Ive looked forward to an episode. 12 needs to hurry because that whole thing.
If they can really get the Satsuki folks and Ryuko's folks to team up to take down this new powerful seemingly entity then I think it may actually have a pretty entertaining second half. Nekkid uzu was amazing again as well, though shortlived, and I loved the coloring whenever the lady was around, such blinding light.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 17

I officially don't get the hate for this series. Is it that Kouji, Sayaka, Boss and the Photonic Labs are forced into the background? Cuz who cares? Baron Asura is the main character anyway. Like seriously, this show is great when you accept that one fact. Asura is incredibly sympathetic, even as we learn that they were kind of assholes before the merger. Seeing Asura freak out over
the sight of Zeus destroying the Gods and encountering Tristan and Isolde
was really pretty moving, and for as much as people make of Jeremiah the Orange's loyalty to Lelouche in Geass, Asura demonstrates loyalty on a whole other level.

"Yeah, this is my ancient civilization coming back to life and the culmination of everything I ever wanted, but Dr. Hell brought me back from the dead. Twice. I will serve him until my death as many times as he desires."

Asura may only be half a man, but that half is manlier than many a villain.

CorvoSol

Awww yeah!

Thanks man, I've been enjoying each series but ZZ definitely hit all the right notes with me.

ZZ is my favorite UC show and Haman is my favorite UC villain.

Days of our Getter Robo 17

So Michiru brings home a total babe after a trip downtown. It turns out she's a dinosaur, but also still a total babe. Musashi, Ryo and Hayato all attempt to bone her after Genki points out that she's hotter than his big sister. Musashi succeeds and Michiru pitches a fit because now she has to share one of her three men. Genki calls her a jealous ho-bag. After deciding that the only way Musashi could POSSIBLY be getting laid right now is looking like somebody's dad, Ryo and Hayato have sex on the rooftop.

Hilarity but also mostly bloodshed ensues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom