• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 5

In this episode Ellidor and Mikhail get into hijinks that nearly get them dead. I guess maybe it was meant to be sort of serious, but as this is Ellidor and Mikhail, it just comes off as goofy hijinks. In the end Elidor gets his wish and gets to go home and record his song, but not before some shipping with Karen. Which I don't really mind. The whole first half of this show is pretty good stuff. It isn't until Aina and the Ship show up that 08th MS team deteriorates into lightsaber jaccuzzis and mobile armor mobile armor mobile armor incest mobile armor mobile armor mobile armor.

Theonik

Tailenders
i7AMrfibSYiIg.png
ibmLyeqcMoQ8w6.png
iXsanIeWt9Wq0.png
i8rZRoz1bTJoW.png
So this was another thing I had mixed feelings about. On one hand I'm a sucker for hard shading like that, on the other hand the CG made my eyes bleed.
Other than that, the story was *kinda* better than Redline to which this was somewhat of a predecessor. But at the same time, like in Redline I didn't feel like it was of much significance. So basically you trade better production values for best girl. A fair trade if you ask me!
But yes if you liked Redline this might be interesting to watch.

Hey don't get me wrong that Gouf custom justifies the existence of the second half of the show. It's the plot I don't like. That Gouf Custom fight is solid gold.

I would never doubt a Gouf.
Admittedly I'm also a sucker for dumb romance stories so I didn't mind the second half at all.
But yes, Gouf Custom is reason enough for the second half even if you do hate the beam sabre jacuzzi stuff!

Narag

Tailenders

So this was another thing I had mixed feelings about. On one hand I'm a sucker for hard shading like that, on the other hand the CG made my eyes bleed.
Other than that, the story was *kinda* better than Redline to which this was somewhat of a predecessor. But at the same time, like in Redline I didn't feel like it was of much significance. So basically you trade better production values for best girl. A fair trade if you ask me!
But yes if you liked Redline this might be interesting to watch.

Use her as an avatar.

Steins;Gate Dèjá vu
So good,
can never get enough of Kurisu & Okabe. they continue to have great voice acting and 'chemistry'
Look forward to rewatching later with the dub.
Wasn't really necessary, but if they had to do something this was just about as perfect as it could get. Really complements the series ending.
S;G is surely finished after this but there is still more I want to see, for example the Future Gadget Lab during the time of Robotics;Notes and beyond
Only disappointment was the music, it just didn't seem there as much as it was in the series.

CorvoSol

Isn't that about when the director, y'know, died?

Yeah probably.

Guys I wanted to keep watching Monogatari but you've got to be fucking kidding me with
naked children
followed immediately by
incest

I should never have watched this fucking show.

CorvoSol

I've been warning people about kusomonogatar but do people listen? Noooooo

Nobody warned me that I was going to experience the perfect storm of bullshit when I started down this path. I heard "Oh it's fine if you can handle fanservice" and "watch in production order" but the only negative thing I ever heard was "Monogatari hasn't been good since 2009" and given how often things like this are said on GAF I claim total innocence.

I really don't want to quit this series because it's funny and pretty but goddammit if this is how it is going to be . . .

Heartcatch Precure 7

Hmm...

Hmm...?

Oh?

OH!

Shit just got pure!

Tsubomi, don't give up on your burning first love!

These girls have the right idea!

I have no problem about telling a story in pictures ( personaly ) but ..but if you do that can't you compress your pictures a little ?

Such a huge post..quoting doesn't make pictures smaller in term of bandwitch, they just appear to be small on the eye.
Please think of those who can't load so many huge pictures at once when the thread already has pictures ...

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2

Either I'm already getting used to it or the CG wasn't as flimsy this episode, which was nice. I appreciated the touch of the entire world banding together to give power to the Yamato, which somewhat mitigated the nationalist and imperialist image of the Yamato battleship. I also appreciated the various farewells, which provides a more human side than I remember the original series having.

The way the female uniforms accentuate the breasts is pretty stupid, but ah well.

I have no problem about telling a story in pictures ( personaly ) but ..but if you do that can't you compress your pictures a little ?

Such a huge post..quoting doesn't make pictures smaller in term of bandwitch, they just appear to be small on the eye.
Please think of those who can't load so many huge pictures at once when the thread already has pictures ...

Well, on the bright side, they're JPEGs, so that's one less issue.

CorvoSol

I want you to watch as much as you can but that's part of it yeah. Don't let the softball stuff knock you out early is all!

Well then Golden Boy and Gunbuster are going to wait and we'll just get this episode 8 nonsense out of the way and see how we feel about ever watching this show again after that.

CorvoSol

Nisemonogatari 6

No, yeah, no the magic is pretty much dead to me now. Hanekawa seeing Araragi's dick, Senjougahara somehow being totally afraid of Hanekawa and Kaiki being a vampire without sucking blood should by rights be entertaining, but then Shinobu licks her tooth and the PTSD kicks in and while I'm glad this didn't happen on screen I still basically have to deal with the main character having kissed his little sister.

Sometimes you like a show and it dies a horrible death, I guess.

Meh, that would take work, also they're only about 2MB combined, and it's not like people don't post 2MB gifs all the time.

Sorry if my pure first love of Heartcatch Precure has offended. ._.

This was not a rant , just a suggestion. However It's easy to say "that would take work" when you did put eveyr picture in place for that post already.
And besides , many people can toogle Gif off on the settings when they are on mobile devices if their data plan is small.

You could argue that it's fine right now , but if everyone was doing this , each page for 50 posts would be over 100mb easily ..

Just saying ...as i said this was a suggestion for after .i figured i'd ask but hey "work , right ? "

--------------------
Monogatari second season - 24

That was such a long phone talk. Does shaft made kaiki look even more awesome on purpose ?
I now know the perfect way to answer a phone after a bath !

The music usage on this arc has been magnificent .

Syrinx

Nisemonogatari 6

No, yeah, no the magic is pretty much dead to me now. Hanekawa seeing Araragi's dick, Senjougahara somehow being totally afraid of Hanekawa and Kaiki being a vampire without sucking blood should by rights be entertaining, but then Shinobu licks her tooth and the PTSD kicks in and while I'm glad this didn't happen on screen I still basically have to deal with the main character having kissed his little sister.

Sometimes you like a show and it dies a horrible death, I guess.

You know...people are probably going to put my head on a stake for this...but I think you should probably stop now and not watch episode 8. You know, for your sake. Let the good memories you still have stay.

Go watch more of that Golden Boy show or something. That'll make everybody happy.

You know...people are probably going to put my head on a stake for this...but I think you should probably stop now and not watch episode 8. You know, for your sake. Let the good memories you still have stay.

Go watch more of that Golden Boy show or something. That'll make everybody happy.

You're not entirely wrong , once corvo has seen something that he can't accept , no matter how small , it like becoming the only thing that matters .. he is not going to last to reach the end game of nise ( at this rate at least )

In fact most viewers won't care because the rest of the show aside from those details is still an entertaining case of very original characters (IMO)

Theonik

He should watch more GUNBUSTAH too. Waiting on those 4-6 impressions!

Picture overuse is inherently problematic regardless of the total filesize of the images used.
I would normally agree, especially if used for no real reason. Then again, with my occasional "Wall of best girl" approach I shouldn't really be the one to be casting stones.

jman2050

No way, now I'm even more morbidly curious how this is going to pan out for him.

CorvoSol

It's too late for it now. I'm going to watch this episode and see if all remaining desire to watch this show just burns out. Because it just fucking might.

In fact most viewers won't care because the rest of the show aside from those details is still an entertaining case of very original characters (IMO)

Now see, here is what I think. I agree that Shinobu is an interesting character, as are Araragi's sisters, and Kaiki is living up to the rep that cnet gave him. It's just that it's a little hard to overlook incest and pedophilia when it is a recurring theme for an entire arc. What I'm hoping is that it goes away and remains confined to the Karen Bee arc, because then I'll compartmentalize and pretend this one arc never existed. If it stays though, it is, again, not exactly something I should be expected to over look. Hell, I can't believe I'm saying this but the incest I could even over look at this point in my anime career, but pedophilia is never okay. Ever. And the show, in spite of how much I had liked it up to that point, doesn't earn a pass for including it.

Speaking of which:

Nisemonogatari 7

I'd love to have enjoyed this episode. There was a good throwdown between Karen and Araragi, which was fun to watch and well animated. If the rest of this arc had gone down differently, that fight would've been just fine. But the constant incest, for starters, really ruins the entire thing. I mean last night Araragi kissed his sister. Then he fights her and at the end she confesses her love for him. That happened. Oh and also
the whole naked cuddling with her sister at the end of the episode for no real reason.

What ruined the fight, though, and thereafter became a constant problem while I tried to enjoy Senjougahara's relationship developments with Araragi and their confrontation with Dark Wizard Kaiki was Shinobu. I'm sorry but at this point her character is just venom. As entertaining as she is, the "Hey Araragi win the fight so you can grope the nonexistent boobs of an 8 year old" is pretty fucking awful. A similar joke was done with Hanekawa, where she gives Araragi a ticket permitting him to feel her up whenever he wants with the fine print of "but if you use this I'll hate you forever." That was humorous. An 8 year old girl demanding Araragi feel her boobs to make her happy is fucked up in about a million, billion ways and I will not brook arguments in defense of that element of the episode. It was wrong, and I'd like to hope that that is culturally universal. That every single where that is fucked up in a lot of ways. Because it damn well should be.

I really, REALLY really hope that this shit is confined to the god-awful Karen Bee arc which went on way too fucking long and hopefully is never ever ever brought up again. At the very least I pray this shit is locked up in Nisemonogatari and never ever ever returns in any show afterward, but at the moment this shit is basically murdering a show I actually liked a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom