• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Magi 11
I don't like Morg to begin with, so when her feature episode is so poor it kind of just drags her down further. In comparison to the other quests the main characters are taking hers just seems selfish and irrational. She wants to find more of her kind...but to what end? The cost for meeting these people is to potentially abandon everyone she knows for no tangible gain.

Being the dunderhead that Morg is she has no plan at any point in this episode, instead choosing to constantly fling herself into stupid situations. Faced with a giant chasm of darkness one might equate to an ocean her plan is to hurl herself down into this abyss with no supplies, or light, or (still) even real clothes. She hopes there is a floor and once she hits it she just runs off into the darkness in a random direction. Maybe it's not entirely Morg's fault the story is so poorly thought out, but she's still an idiot.

CorvoSol

Nekomonogatari 1

Fucking imoutos ruining my glorious cat-girl dedicated series. There are four episodes. GTFO imoutos. OUT I SAID.

Let me bask in glorious cat girls.

lonely

Gintama 239-240
toRfWLC.png

I'm dying over here, this show has a direct line to my funny bone. I'm in tears! Everything about this pair of episodes was perfect and Gin trying to juggle everyone and failing was hilarious. Stand outs were the curry feeding at the end of 239 and mouth to crotch in 240.

Nafe

Tailenders

jIgDFv91iIbQq.jpg

Another awesome member joins team goggles/visor.

Theonik just recently posted about this movie and it sounded interesting enough to take a look at. It's a bit shorter coming in at around 28 minutes as well so it's more like a long TV episode rather than a full movie.

I have to agree that I quite liked the art and the style of the movie. Games like the F-Zero racing series are some of my favorite, so the fact that it had kind of a similar feel to it along with the already mentioned Redline was of interest to me. The way that the first race initially sets up this kind of "Ghost" racer and people trying to best its time reminded me very much of F-Zero again and the idea of the "Staff Ghosts" as well. The fact that this great racer was actually named "Loser King" was kind of funny as it's not the kind of thing one would initially expect.

The CG was kind of hit and miss for me. While it was always noticeable, I found sometimes it had the usual contrast to the hand drawn but other times I didn't think it was as bad due to the colouring and shading better resembling that of the hand drawn. Overall for this movie I'd probably say it wasn't that big of a deal for me personally.

The story, while not bad, wasn't really anything that interesting initially as it looked more like Redline and this racer guy, Shiro, trying to best some earlier great racer. As the movie went on though and kind of talked a bit more about the state of the world as described at the beginning, it got more interesting for me. It kind of stands on its own anyway but I actually wouldn't have minded to see more.

I suppose I feel somewhat similar to Theonik in that the movie maybe wasn't great but not really bad either. It might end up having more of a forgettable story and minimal character development due to its shorter length of time but it had really nice art, animation and designs, as well as a fun enough premise, that overall I liked it and thank Theonik for mentioning this show.

Oh yeah, and the goggles girl, Tomoe Mikagura, is voiced by Ryoka Yuzuki. She is voicing Satsuki in Kill la Kill right now, so that was a plus for me as well.

---

I think I'm done mourning the butt now.
Anyone want to take a crack at making this transparent? (no scaling just transparency wanna experiment with the scaling myself)
Edit: on second thought the transparent one would look shit because it's cut-off.
Edit2: Or not. Not suuuuure. Dude's face definitely looks weird.

My photo editing skills are pretty much non existent and maybe someone else already helped you out but as thanks for mentioning the show I took a shot at it anyway. It's pretty rough so maybe you'll need someone to touch it up for you anyway but here you go. The edges don't seem as bad when it's downsized but it does lose that kind of lighting/shading factor, I agree. If you don't want it that's fine as well, as it gave me a little bit of practice into this kind of thing anyway. :)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 (War in the Pocket) - 01

HKwFlXJ.png

Love this shot

Decided to check this out since I'm caught up on both Unicorn and Build Fighters. Enjoyable first episode, and Chris seems like a pretty down to earth character, a big difference in regards to the previous female characters/leads that we were introduced to in previous installments (save for a few). I was expecting the story to focus on her from the get go but it looks like our main character is actually Al instead? If so, looking forward to what role he'll play in the remaining episodes.

Well she is a cutie. Whoever she is.
That's because she is a great character so far
Gundam Build Fighter - 10
TLylbtT.png

So the girl does have emotions! And a taste for meatbuns too! +5

And lol at thirsty Ral trying to get points with Rinko. The fuck outta here old man!
That's who she is cajun !

A great character !

Gintama 239-240
toRfWLC.png

I'm dying over here, this show has a direct line to my funny bone. I'm in tears! Everything about this pair of episodes was perfect and Gin trying to juggle everyone and failing was hilarious. Stand outs were the curry feeding at the end of 239 and mouth to crotch in 240.
The end of this arc is like the best thing EVER ... trully one of the highlights of guntama ( 2011)

i was in tears laughing.

All that amount of trolling , magnificent.

Nafe

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 4

Whoa man. Onpu episode of the forever.

Was this what they call...firehawk?

I don't remember right now. Was this the episode that 7Th's mentioned before for being so good and people should at least watch if they watch any Doremi?

CorvoSol

Sisters will always exist nyah

They're in the way of my glorious cat girl series.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 (War in the Pocket) - 01

Decided to check this out since I'm caught up on both Unicorn and Build Fighters. Enjoyable first episode, and Chris seems like a pretty down to earth character, a big difference in regards to the previous female characters/leads that we were introduced to in previous installments (save for a few). I was expecting the story to focus on her from the get go but it looks like our main character is actually Al instead? If so, looking forward to what role he'll play in the remaining episodes.

Al is indeed the main character, although Chris is still pretty important. If you're only watching the UC shows, please do not watch Victory. When you finish Crossbone skip straight to Turn A.

Theonik

Tailenders

Theonik just recently posted about this movie and it sounded interesting enough to take a look at. It's a bit shorter coming in at around 28 minutes as well so it's more like a long TV episode rather than a full movie.

I have to agree that I quite liked the art and the style of the movie. Games like the F-Zero racing series are some of my favorite, so the fact that it had kind of a similar feel to it along with the already mentioned Redline was of interest to me. The way that the first race initially sets up this kind of "Ghost" racer and people trying to best its time reminded me very much of F-Zero again and the idea of the "Staff Ghosts" as well. The fact that this great racer was actually named "Loser King" was kind of funny as it's not the kind of thing one would initially expect.

The CG was kind of hit and miss for me. While it was always noticeable, I found sometimes it had the usual contrast to the hand drawn but other times I didn't think it was as bad due to the colouring and shading better resembling that of the hand drawn. Overall for this movie I'd probably say it wasn't that big of a deal for me personally.

The story, while not bad, wasn't really anything that interesting initially as it looked more like Redline and this racer guy, Shiro, trying to best some earlier great racer. As the movie went on though and kind of talked a bit more about the state of the world as described at the beginning, it got more interesting for me. It kind of stands on its own anyway but I actually wouldn't have minded to see more.

I suppose I feel somewhat similar to Theonik in that the movie maybe wasn't great but not really bad either. It might end up having more of a forgettable story and minimal character development due to its shorter length of time but it had really nice art, animation and designs, as well as a fun enough premise, that overall I liked it and thank Theonik for mentioning this show.

Oh yeah, and the goggles girl, Tomoe Mikagura, is voiced by Ryoka Yuzuki. She is voicing Satsuki in Kill la Kill right now, so that was a plus for me as well.

---

My photo editing skills are pretty much non existent and maybe someone else already helped you out but as thanks for mentioning the show I took a shot at it anyway. It's pretty rough so maybe you'll need someone to touch it up for you anyway but here you go. The edges don't seem as bad when it's downsized but it does lose that kind of lighting/shading factor, I agree. If you don't want it that's fine as well, as it gave me a little bit of practice into this kind of thing anyway. :)
I'm glad you liked it! I kinda agree with everything you said here. I guess my issue with the CG was twofold, one I probably was spoilt from having seen REDLINE before and I couldn't help but compare it to that. But also it felt like a bit of a waste of all that delicious flat (DFS) shading to have shiny CG in there. If the CG at last tried to match the art by going with a different shading model I'd probably have been more lenient towards it.
Edit: I think I'll stick with what I have avatar wise lest I redraw parts of it which I might. Thanks anyway!
Edit2: Also I should be thanking you again for Birth!

Didn't even realize 7Th watched Doremi.
7th is a doremi hipster. Watching before it became cool or something.

Steins;Gate_ Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu

First things first : this is a good anime movie and a pretty respectable entry in the franchise . i feel like they wanted to make a strong point or a strong impression but people might have some issues.Still even with those , this movie had plenty of references of the anime , it even had 2 references to 2 deleted scenes that weren't in the anime adaptation ! Very nice.
Steins%3BGate_%20Fuka%20Ryouiki%20no%20D%C3%A9j%C3%A0%20vu%20-%2001.jpg

It's good to be back :)

So the plot of this movie is actually quite simple, makise kurisu comes back in japan because she has some conferences to hold ( that totally isn't some escuse , CRISTINA ) and profits to make a visit as a lab member . It's been a year and the cast seems still the same. Meanwhile Kyouma and the old cast are having their usual antics .

Steins%3BGate_%20Fuka%20Ryouiki%20no%20D%C3%A9j%C3%A0%20vu%20-%2002.jpg

So cute .... but but it's ....

It's a very intresting movie because the main point of view changes between Makise & okabe ..having a makise POV is a nice change and a good dynamic for us accustomed to see throught okabe eyes. It is a welcome change. The ratio Okabe/Makise is a clear 25/75

The movie being a clear conclusion of the franchise , it would be probably a giant mess to anyone that hasn't seen the anime or played the game. The references to old stuff are enormous so enormous that they don't even bother to explain some basci thing because they think you already know them. As a result the pacing is much more intresting because the focus mostly on the characters , their blanter talk and their actions.

Steins%3BGate_%20Fuka%20Ryouiki%20no%20D%C3%A9j%C3%A0%20vu%20-%2003.jpg

What ? no ! tsundere makise is pretty good

In terms of visual effects this movie was nothing special. It's not bad by anime means but there is nothing worthy i must note , some backgrounds scenes are reused from the anime and plenty of scenes seems to be too even if they added news ones.

In term of music , it's alright , most of the music is very subtle and it works because the heart of this movie is the characters and their performance is very very high , they all push the movie up by themselves.

Steins%3BGate_%20Fuka%20Ryouiki%20no%20D%C3%A9j%C3%A0%20vu%20-%2004.jpg
Steins%3BGate_%20Fuka%20Ryouiki%20no%20D%C3%A9j%C3%A0%20vu%20-%2005.jpg

Drunk kurisu is like the best thing ever

This movie is for me a solid 9/10 .. there were some pretty solid moments, some awesome moments too.

The fact that the entire cast was there was a pretty good thing ... Did enjoy future soldier that isn't this time slap makise because she needed it

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How has that show been? I only watched Ep1 then stopped because I was bored as fuck. Has it gotten better?

Depends on your definition of better. If you think it's going to be a deep show about two men's definition of justice, you're going to be very disappointed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Depends on your definition of better. If you think it's going to be a deep show about two men's definition of justice, you're going to be very disappointed.
i always wanted a third season of psycho pass.

Nafe

Didn't even realize 7Th watched Doremi.

Yeah, like Theonik posted, I think he's a big fan of the show. Parts of it at least anyway. He was also watching things like PreCure before a lot of people. I watched some of the first PreCure but didn't get back into it again until recently.

I'm glad you liked it! I kinda agree with everything you said here. I guess my issue with the CG was twofold, one I probably was spoilt from having seen REDLINE before and I couldn't help but compare it to that. But also it felt like a bit of a waste of all that delicious flat (DFS) shading to have shiny CG in there. If the CG at last tried to match the art by going with a different shading model I'd probably have been more lenient towards it.
Edit: I think I'll stick with what I have avatar wise lest I redraw parts of it which I might. Thanks anyway!
Edit2: Also I should be thanking you again for Birth!

7th is a doremi hipster. Watching before it became cool or something.

Thanks, again. I like it when people will mention these lesser known shows.
Yeah, it is kind of hard not to at least think of Redline if you've already seen it.

Okay, the decision is ultimately up to you but I do actually like what you have now better. If I were to change anything about it, it would be so Shiro's eye blends into the background more somehow to just make it a nice colourful background.

Sure. :)
Birth had some pretty nice animation.

In response to your post about Hells, I'd have to add that I too felt it was maybe a bit too long. On the other hand I agree that I really loved the more rough art style and it had some really great animation, so I guess it kind of works out. It's been a little bit since I've seen it now so I don't recall if I had any problems following along with the story but I felt the religious kind of references were maybe unnecessary. They really could have still had this story about family and another place without all that was in the movie.
I wasn't offended by it or anything but it just didn't feel needed and was there maybe just to seem deeper than it was? I don't know. Other than possible time issues, that was really the only other complaint I can think of right now.

Yes... or was it episode 9 of Naisho? Actually both count.

Okay. Well, if he responds I'll write it down this time,haha.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (2002)

I've only seen the first episode of this but I felt compelled to post immediately afterwards because this was just an extremely lovely watch, just like the first couple of OVAs. These OVAs seem a lot more vibrant, colorful, more "modern" anime-ish I guess I would call it even though this came out more than a decade ago compared to the 98 version. I couldn't help but take a few screenshots of some backgrounds which I don't normally do, but they really struck me in this for some reason. Gosh this show is pretty. This version seems to take advantage of the lovely Choro Club's music more regularly, and while the 98 version provided a great atmosphere even without music, the music here isn't a detriment at all and provides the same kind of warmness that Choro Club makes me feel while watching Aria. An incredibly comfy watch that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a pretty and short slice of life show, or for anyone who just wants to take a nice breather. Just wonderful.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
i always wanted a third season of psycho pass.

Did psycho pass ever get good? It always seemed so needlessly depressing.

I stopped around the time when
the female inspector failed to shoot the guy holding her best friend hostage.

White Album 2 5

Setsuna gets jelly over Haruki and Touma sleeping together, alone, under the same roof for the past week or so.

Can't imagine why.

She gets over that after Haruki practices from the Romance lead 101 guide of how to get a girl to forgive you during a phone call.

Next day, Touma has a massive freakout over a notebook, which may or may not have something to do with her mom, but manages to get over that after Haruki and Setsuna use the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP attack to make her smile again and end the episode on a relatively high note.

Did psycho pass ever get good? It always seemed so needlessly depressing.

I stopped around the time when
the female inspector failed to shoot the guy holding her best friend hostage.

if you're not already enjoying the anime by then then you'll not enjoy the rest.

I, personnally loved it.

How has that show been? I only watched Ep1 then stopped because I was bored as fuck. Has it gotten better?
Although Flamenco Girl seemed liked a sign of the end times, at least these first 11 episodes really were amazing and put it as one of the best anime of the season after Tokyo Ravens, Kurobas, DiaLover, and Valvrave. You should have kept watching though especially at least to ep7.

Masayoshi is one of the most endearing and passionate lead characters this year, and good looking, so he keeps it good.

Although Flamenco Girl seemed liked a sign of the end times, at least these first 11 episodes really were amazing and put it as one of the best anime of the season after Tokyo Ravens, Kurobas, DiaLover, and Valvrave. You should have kept watching though especially at least to ep7.

Masayoshi is one of the most endearing and passionate lead characters this year, and good looking, so he keeps it good.

Time to play catch-up, then.

Golden Boy, Lesson 4

"From the velvety depths, beneath those leathery bindings, it called to me: THE BEAAAATHHHHT! THE BEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAST!! RARRRRRR!"

"I was just making stuff up to say." NOOOOOOOO. Really? "And to top it all off NO NIPPLE COVERS OR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This entire show. This entire show.

How did you like his swimming?

And god damn, almost 23 megers

AReed

I watch anime too!

Previously Watched
Kenichi: Mightiest Disciple (first anime)
One Piece (up to like ep 580 then quit)
FMA: Brotherhood (favorite)
Angel Beats
Clannad
Toradora
Another
Sword art Online (1 and 2)
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya (those repeats tho)
Attack on Titan
Sunday Without God

Currently Watching
Hunter x Hunter
Log Horizon
Golden Time
Yowepeda
Beyond the Boundary (Kyōkai no Kanata)
Nyarko-san (haven't started yet)

I'm going to be watching Kara no Kyoukai once I knock out my last two finals.

Gazoinks

Golden Boy, Lesson 4

"From the velvety depths, beneath those leathery bindings, it called to me: THE BEAAAATHHHHT! THE BEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAST!! RARRRRRR!"

"I was just making stuff up to say." NOOOOOOOO. Really? "And to top it all off NO NIPPLE COVERS OR ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://mkerala.com/u/image.php?di=NZPZ

This entire show. This entire show.

Tj5qhH6.png

So good

Watch Fate/Zero instead. It's like Kara no Kyoukai but with characterization and much better writing. :p

I'll watch movie 5 soon, I swear!

zeroshiki

I watch anime too!

Previously Watched
Angel Beats
Clannad
Toradora
Another
Attack on Titan
Sunday Without God

Currently Watching
Hunter x Hunter
Log Horizon
Golden Time
Yowepeda
Beyond the Boundary (Kyōkai no Kanata)
Nyarko-san (haven't started yet)

Welcome. You should post your impressions here.

I watch anime too!

Previously Watched
Angel Beats
Clannad
Toradora
Another
Attack on Titan
Sunday Without God

FuckyesToradora

What did you think of Sunday Without God? I liked it up until the very end where it got kind of boring and meh-tacular. Up until that, it was pretty great, though.

Stein's;Gate Movie

Pretty fun film, can't really say it did anything too well or too bad except for the large amount of Kurisuservice which is always welcome. However,
I'm pretty sure the method by which she got Okabe to stay in the main world line would cause some major issues in the timeline. Then again, all this crazy stuff has happened to the point where the writers probably don't even completely grasp what is going on anymore. The ending was a little abrupt too, I would have liked to see a more conclusive ending.
I really liked the part where
you see a younger Kurisu and a younger Okabe sitting together, while I'm sure it has some form of symbolism it was just a really fantastic scene.

Overall a pretty good movie, definitely worth watching for anyone who liked the series but uh yeah, completely indecipherable for anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom