• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digimon Xros Wars 24

iwfyKwpl.jpg

Officially, this episode was supposed to be the doesn't do anything guy's time to shine. But instead, I guess the animators got bored and instead decided to give us this overly detailed and flowly digivice animation of the better girl of the series.

Logo_Hunter_x_Hunter.svg

Episodes 1-10

Good Lord.

This show. Is amazing.

The pacing is perfect. Every episode something happens and something gets done. No matter what, the plot is moving forward. No filler in sight so far.

But lets get on to characters so far! We have our ambitious but fun loving child protagonist, the serious one with the tragic past looking for revenge, the easily pissed off but likable clumsy one, and the small child with the super powers and a shady back story involving running away from a his family assassin.
That and he casually mentions that he stabbed his mom in the face. Yikes.

I can't wait for this exam to be over though. I can see what the purpose of this first arc is. They're going to reveal the character's personalities and motivations as the trials confront them during the exam, and when the exam is over and they're out onto the world for adventure, THEN we're gonna see those motivations and personalities put to the real test when these characters go through their own story arcs.

I'm also digging how the characters are solving their problems and fights by using their heads as opposed to their fists. The typical Shounen style of screaming attack names while charging through is fun and all. But here, seeing the characters actually use skill gained from their learning experience rather than a training montage really provides a good sense of satisfaction.

All in all, this is excellent so far. So glad I chose this. I cannot wait to see what it has in store.

CorvoSol

What does that have to do with Hachikuji?

The joke is that if Araragi is French and Hachikuji is the Snail, then it means Araragi wants to eat Hachikuji. When you are a bit older you can ask your mom and dad for a little more context on that. When they ask you who put this terrible notion in your head, please tell them it was KirbYayoi and not me. I have a reputation, you know.

Nekomonogatari Series Thoughts

So this was a vast improvement over Nisemonogatari for just about everybody whose personal proclivities do not include dental hygiene. I'm sorry, I really am, but when your dentist doesn't sedate you during the simultaneous removal of all four of your wisdom teeth, you tend to view them less as an object of bizarre sexual lust and more a horror movie villain.

But I digress. I would not call Nekomonogatari better than Bakemonogatari, although it's better than Nise by a country mile. The problem I had with Neko is that in a lot of ways it feels moot after having already seen Bake's resolution to the entire thing. The first episode of the show feels pretty much wasted on nonsense, too.

That said, I will say that the three remaining episodes are probably the reason I continue to like this series in spite of the nigh-List-worthy travesty that was Nise. The character development and examination for Hanekawa and Araragi was undoubtedly the best this show has offered from a critical standpoint. After Araragi, I really cannot see how anyone can say there is a character in the cast more developed, if the pun be pardoned, than Hanekawa.

The insight into how truly screwed up a person Hanekawa is is something I actually really applaud. On the surface, Hanekawa is a nice person who gives it her all, but if the Cat is really a part of her, then underneath that she's a very, very cruel person whose bottling up of emotions is eventually going to bleed over from Cat to Girl anyway. In that sense, the final showdown of Nekomonogatari was much better than the final showdown of Bakemonogatari, because it laid bare what Bake had only hinted at: that the cat was just a shield, and that Hanekawa herself was in control all along.

What's interesting though, is that Araragi himself is always incapable of accepting Oshino's criticisms. Oshino suggests that everything is Hanekawa's fault, right down to her step-step-step father's abuse. Araragi, in turn, rejects this, believing that nice Hanekawa isn't just the surface, but the real personality. Or maybe he just rejects that black Hanekawa is the true, dominant persona? It was a bit ambiguous.

The point is, the interaction between Araragi and Hanekawa is a lot better in this than in Bakemonogatari. In Bakemonogatari Hanekawa comes across as jilted and frustrated, whereas in Neko both Araragi and Hanekawa's interactions are much more human. The two of them have back and forth, and neither one in their confrontation is particularly in the right.

I suppose, as I finish this show, the reason Araragi decides not to fall for Hanekawa any further (although even while he is
mouthfucking his sister with a toothbrush in Nise
, he points out that she is ideal, is perhaps because she is ideal, and that ideal of a woman lead his feelings for her to be entirely toxic and destructive. His
I WANT to die for her
is very different from his
I WOULD die for Tsuhiki
. One demonstrates a willingness if called upon, the other demonstrates a self-destructive, unhealthy situation.

That's all I really have to say about this show, other than that Cursed Cat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All other girls in this series.

duckroll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7gDzwSd3aI

This is the third of the SD Idol shorts for Kyoanus no Kanata and the last one which they will be streaming online. At the end of it, they confirmed that Vol7 of the BD/DVD release for the series will contain an OVA episode of Kanata, as well as all 5 SD Idol shorts (the 3 online, and 2 more which aren't being streamed online). So it makes the KnK release exactly like how Chuuni was released.

Hey Jarmel, remember when you insisted that it was 13 episodes because of the BD/DVD count and how there were no webisodes at that time so there would be no way they're doing that! :D

cajunator

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7gDzwSd3aI

This is the third of the SD Idol shorts for Kyoanus no Kanata and the last one which they will be streaming online. At the end of it, they confirmed that Vol7 of the BD/DVD release for the series will contain an OVA episode of Kanata, as well as all 5 SD Idol shorts (the 3 online, and 2 more which aren't being streamed online). So it makes the KnK release exactly like how Chuuni was released.

Hey Jarmel, remember when you insisted that it was 13 episodes because of the BD/DVD count and how there were no webisodes at that time so there would be no way they're doing that! :D

Chibi Mirai is a miracle.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've been away for a while so I haven't paid a lot of attention to NeoGAF in gnerally but were we gonna do anime of the year voting or did that idea get scrapped?

Mononoke

Banned
Hopefully it's alright to ask here (if not I apologize). I've been on a real Anime film kick lately. I'll be upfront first and say, I was never a huge anime buff. Nothing against it, just not something I cared about deeply growing up. But this past year I've found myself really drawn in by the craft, and have become obsessed with it (only feature length films, and short films). I've even been listening non stop to soundtracks to these films ("Opening" from Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is sublime on surround sound.) My overall knowledge is very very limited though. And as such, there are a lot of movies I have not seen. But this what I've seen so far:

Satoshi Kon
Paprika (パプリカ)

Studio Ghibli
The Castle of Cagliostro (ルパン三世 カリオストロの城)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (風の谷のナウシカ)
Castle in the Sky (天空の城ラピュタ)
My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ)
Kiki's Delivery Service (魔女の宅急便)
Porco Rosso (紅の豚)
Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫)
Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し)
Howl's Moving Castle (ハウルの動く城)
Ponyo (崖の上のポニョ)

Makoto Shinkai
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (雲のむこう、約束の場所)
5 Centimeters Per Second (秒速5センチメートル)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (星を追う子ども)
The Garden of Words (言の葉の庭)

Mamoru Hosoda
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (時をかける少女)
Summer Wars (サマーウォーズ)
Wolf Children (おおかみこどもの雨と雪)

And that's all I've seen so far. I still haven't seen some of the greats like Akira (which I'll be watching next). Do any of you have suggestions? I guess I'm looking for very cinematic work. I'll eventually get into series, but for now I'm keeping it to stand alone film. Just to give you a feel, my favorite Miyazaki films were Porco Rosso, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke. I really enjoyed Garden of Words, thought it was stunning. And while I think Children Who Chase Lost Voices kind of missed the mark in spots, I found it jaw dropping in its scope, and drew me in its own odd way (the whole Agartha world reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus).

But yeah, I'm really just open to anything. I would appreciate some recommendations of where to go next. I kind of played it safe, and dipped my toes in the water with Miyazaki's work first, and then Girl Who Leapt Through Time. And kind of just worked my around the titles above. I of course will reference the OP. But just wanted to know what you guys personally would recommend next. Thanks for taking the time to read. :D

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Quasar

Makoto Shinkai

I went on a Shinkai binge recently too. In part because of my love of Garden of Words, in part because of some Shinkai hate I heard on an anime podcast I listen to.

And that's all I've seen so far. I still haven't seen some of the greats like Akira (which I'll be watching next). Do any of you have suggestions? I guess I'm looking for very

I really liked the Time of Eve movie. I also liked Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hopefully it's alright to ask here (if not I apologize). I've been on a real Anime film kick lately. I'll be upfront first and say, I was never a huge anime buff. Nothing against it, just not something I cared about deeply growing up. But this past year I've found myself really drawn in by the craft, and have become obsessed with it (only feature length films, and short films). My overall knowledge is very very limited. And as such, there are a lot of movies I have not seen. But this what I've seen so far:

Satoshi Kon
Paprika (パプリカ)

Studio Ghibli
Porco Rosso (紅の豚)
Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し)
Ponyo (崖の上のポニョ)

Makoto Shinkai

Mamoru Hosoda
Summer Wars (サマーウォーズ)

And that's all I've seen so far. I still haven't seen some of the greats like Akira (which I'll be watching next). Do any of you have suggestions? I guess I'm looking for very cinematic work. I'll eventually get into series, but for now I'm keeping it to stand alone film. Just to give you a feel, my favorite Miyazaki films were Porco Rosso, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke. I really enjoyed Garden of Words, thought it was stunning. And while I think Children Who Chase Lost Voices kind of missed the mark in spots, I found it jaw dropping in its scope, and drew me in in an odd way.

But yeah, I'm really just open to anything. I would appreciate some recommendations of where to go next. I kind of played it safe, and dipped my toes in the water with Miyazaki's work, and Girl Who Leapt Through Time. And kind of just worked my around the titles above. I of course will reference the OP. But just wanted to know what you guys personally would recommend next. Thanks for taking the time to read. :D

Grave of the Fireflies
Little Witch Academia
Pale Cocoon (Short OVA)
Voices from a Distant Star (Short Shinkai OVA)

not enough nice finds to run it this year.

then can we do AnimeGAF Razzies?

I read it most days and still have no idea :)

gotcha, thanks!

I think we unanimously agreed that Wolf Children has won AOTY 2013.

but...KLK and saving anime...

Mononoke

Banned
I went on a Shinkai binge recently too. In part because of my love of Garden of Words, in part because of some Shinkai hate I heard on an anime podcast I listen to.

I really liked the Time of Eve movie. I also liked Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light.

Thanks, I'll check those out! I'm compiling a list. Tomorrow is my last day of college, and then I graduate. So I'm going to spend all winter break diving into these films. I should have also pointed out that, I'm not that picky.

Maybe I don't have enough experience with Anime film to critique certain works. Obviously there are certain things that do bother me in some films, but generally I've been blown away by the craft that goes into these kind of cinematic works. But I can totally see why some would hate Shinkai's work. He always leaves me really depressed after watching his films. And his earlier work like "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" might come off melodramatic. But there is something about those films, that really tap into raw human emotion that I don't often feel in other movies. Like I said, it always leaves me really depressed and feeling isolated. But I like that (I do think Garden of Words was probably his most mature film to date, and I really appreciated how dialed back he was on this short feature. I was actually really impressed with it. I don't know if I entirely loved the ending, but overall it was a great film).

I still haven't seen Voices of A Distant Star. I'm wondering if it's worth watching.

I've been away for a while so I haven't paid a lot of attention to NeoGAF in gnerally but were we gonna do anime of the year voting or did that idea get scrapped?

Articalys usually runs it, but he's angry at animegaf right now, so doubt he'd be up for it. Don't know if anyone else has the motivation.

zeroshiki

You should expand your Ghibli catalog to Takahata films (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, My Neighbor The Yamadas) and, of course, Whisper of the Heart.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thanks, I'll check those out! I'm compiling a list. Tomorrow is my last day of college, and then I graduate. So I'm going to spend all winter break diving into these films. I should have also pointed out that, I'm not that picky.

Maybe I don't have enough experience with Anime film to critique certain works. Obviously there are certain things that do bother me in some films, but generally I've been blown away by the craft that goes into these kind of cinematic works. But I can totally see why some would hate Shinkai's work. He always leaves me really depressed after watching his films. And his earlier work like "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" might come off melodramatic. But there is something about those films, that really tap into raw human emotion that I don't often feel in other movies. Like I said, it always leaves me really depressed and feeling isolated. But I like that (I do think Garden of Words was probably his most mature film to date, and I really appreciated how dialed back he was on this short feature. I was actually really impressed with it. I don't know if I entirely loved the ending, but overall it was a great film).

I still haven't seen Voices of A Distant Star. I'm wondering if it's worth watching.

It is. It's basically Shinkai's first longer work and while the animation can be dodgy at times (I think he did it all himself) it has some of the key elements of his later work on full display and it's a pretty interesting story. Plus it's only like 30 mins, so its an easy watch.

Articalys usually runs it, but he's angry at animegaf right now, so doubt he'd be up for it. Don't know if anyone else has the motivation.

No worries, I'm not that concerned, just curious.

zeroshiki

BGBW was fighting with Articalys on who gets to run it so I assume BGBW now has to take responsiblity and run the damn thing. But yes, duckroll is right. Wolf Children will win anyway.

Quasar

I might, but I'd want a simple system for tabulation because I'm lazy. Something like rank 10 and a 1st gets 10 points and a 10th get 1 point.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I might, but I'd want a simple system for tabulation because I'm lazy. Something like rank 10 and a 1st gets 10 points and a 10th get 1 point.
If we want to do a thread, i'll happily write a parser to get the info out.
[Easy way out: I've already got a parser for MyAnimeList data, everyone gets an account on the thing, and the statistics for this years' anime just magically appear on this thread]

zeroshiki

The most common suggestions have been:

a.) Rank 1-10, 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9 points and so on; or
b.) You only get points for the shows that you rank so if you put down 5 shows, your number 1 only gets 5 points, your 2nd 4 points etc.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The most common suggestions have been:

a.) Rank 1-10, 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9 points and so on; or
b.) You only get points for the shows that you rank so if you put down 5 shows, your number 1 only gets 5 points, your 2nd 4 points etc.

I hate that people can change their votes once posted or post incomplete list. I watched helplessly as such tactics were used to rob SAO and Kirito-kun *smootch* of their deserved title :'(

cajunator

Banned
Hopefully it's alright to ask here (if not I apologize). I've been on a real Anime film kick lately. I'll be upfront first and say, I was never a huge anime buff. Nothing against it, just not something I cared about deeply growing up. But this past year I've found myself really drawn in by the craft, and have become obsessed with it (only feature length films, and short films). I've even been listening non stop to soundtracks to these films ("Opening" from Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is sublime on surround sound.) My overall knowledge is very very limited though. And as such, there are a lot of movies I have not seen. But this what I've seen so far:

Satoshi Kon
Paprika (パプリカ)

Studio Ghibli
Porco Rosso (紅の豚)
Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し)
Ponyo (崖の上のポニョ)

Makoto Shinkai

Mamoru Hosoda
Summer Wars (サマーウォーズ)

And that's all I've seen so far. I still haven't seen some of the greats like Akira (which I'll be watching next). Do any of you have suggestions? I guess I'm looking for very cinematic work. I'll eventually get into series, but for now I'm keeping it to stand alone film. Just to give you a feel, my favorite Miyazaki films were Porco Rosso, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke. I really enjoyed Garden of Words, thought it was stunning. And while I think Children Who Chase Lost Voices kind of missed the mark in spots, I found it jaw dropping in its scope, and drew me in its own odd way (the whole Agartha world reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus).

But yeah, I'm really just open to anything. I would appreciate some recommendations of where to go next. I kind of played it safe, and dipped my toes in the water with Miyazaki's work first, and then Girl Who Leapt Through Time. And kind of just worked my around the titles above. I of course will reference the OP. But just wanted to know what you guys personally would recommend next. Thanks for taking the time to read. :D

Youve watched a lot I f the great stuff but Satishi created three more movies, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers. Millennium Actress in particular I highly recommend.

Shergal

Hopefully it's alright to ask here (if not I apologize). I've been on a real Anime film kick lately [...] But just wanted to know what you guys personally would recommend next. Thanks for taking the time to read. :D

For starters, you should totally complete the rest of Satoshi Kon's filmography. Paprika in particular is considered by many (me included) to be his weakest work, so you can only go up from there. Personally, I think Millenium Actress is the most well-realized and Tokyo Godfathers is easily the one I most enjoy.
You might want to check out Isao Takahata's works as well. He's Miyazaki's mentor/buddy and the other major Ghibli director. I think a good intro to his strengths, quirks and overall approach is Gauche the Cellist, which is only 60m long, as a plus. My favourite from his is Only Yesterday, while the most generally acclaimed is Grave of the Fireflies, which I personally don't like as much as his other works, but many people do. Grave is very, very heavy, but all of his other works are quirkier and uplifting (not to say they're ultra light fare- Only Yesterday in particular can sting quite a bit at times).
The other major director you might want to check out is Mamoru Oshii. Guy can get dense and philosophical (I don't want to say pretentious, but...), but he sure knows how to create an engrossing atmosphere through editing and composition alone. He has done a lot of franchise films and the such, but they can be watched with little prior knowledge. I'd suggest starting with Ghost in the Shell, it seems to be his most popular and accessible flick.

As for some one-off films, there's Sword of the Stranger for awesome action, Jin-Roh for bleak political intrigue and a superb realist tone, Mind Game for full-on trippiness and existentialism, Cat Soup for even more surrealism coupled with nihilism (de facto made by the same guy that directed Mind Game), Wings of Honneamise for an alternate history/sci-fi setting interweaving the struggles of a space program with a grand outlook on humanity and a personal coming of age tale, and I'm pretty sure you'd love You Are Umasou because it's about kung-fu dinosaurs. Kung-fu dinosaurs!

BluWacky

Satoshi Kon
Paprika (パプリカ)

Paprika is probably not Kon's strongest work. I would suggest you try watching his other three films - Perfect Blue (a psychological thriller), Millennium Actress (an interesting fictional biography - doesn't really do it justice!) and Tokyo Godfathers (a Japanese take on a feel good madcap Christmas caper - with transvestites!).

Studio Ghibli

You've seen most of the Miyazaki films obviously! I guess the other "good" Ghibli films aren't necessarily massively "cinematic" - some of them are much simpler stories. Although my personal recommendation for the best Ghibli movie you haven't seen would be Whisper of the Heart, it's a generally simple love story rather than a big sweeping film. You could give Arrietty a go - it's not a rip roaring adventure but it's a sweet fantasy with some particularly beautiful art design.

Other movie recommendations that you can buy on DVD/BD in the West:

Sword of the Stranger - possibly the most exciting samurai action film you could ever hope to see
The Wings of Honneamise - a classic quasi-sci-fi movie with beautiful art, despite some uncomfortable moments it's well worth a watch
Akira - if you haven't seen it, you might as well; it's both the best and worst of anime in one film IMO.
Ghost in the Shell - iconic philosophical sci-fi - personally I find it pretty dull but there's no denying the craftsmanship behind it and it has a lot of fans.

Quasar

I hate that people can change their votes once posted or post incomplete list. I watched helplessly as such tactics were used to rob SAO and Kirito-kun *smootch* of their deserved title :'(

Not much you can do about that aside from not counting vote posts that have an edited tag.

Mononoke

Banned
Damn. Okay my list just got a whole lot bigger. Thanks a lot guys. Yeah I'll check out the rest of Kon's work. I didn't skip the rest of it on purpose, just stumbled on Paprika by a random recommendation and forgot to dive deeper into his work. I had issues with Paprika, so I'm happy to hear it's his weakest work. Can't wait to check out the rest. Will check our Millennium Actress soon.

I'll also look into Whisper of the Heart and some of the other Ghibli films. I've actually written every suggestion down in a google document. So I'll get to them all. :)

Paprika was my first Kon film as well, and I disliked it enough that it put me off from watching his other films for some time. But when I actually watched his other works, I realized that Paprika is the exception, his clear worst film.

cajunator

Banned
Damn. Okay my list just got a whole lot bigger. Thanks a lot guys. Yeah I'll check out the rest of Kon's work. I didn't skip the rest of it on purpose, just stumbled on Paprika by a random recommendation and forgot to dive deeper into his work. I had issues with Paprika, so I'm happy to hear it's his weakest work. Can't wait to check out the rest. Will check our Millennium Actress soon.

I'll also look into Whisper of the Heart and some of the other Ghibli films. I've actually written every suggestion down in a google document. So I'll get to them all. :)

Millennium Actress is his masterpiece. The music is particularly stellar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0pq241QXJc

Vito

Banned
Newscrap nobody bothered to post yet (I think?)

Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. seem to be getting an anime.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=103833
http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/4591321.html

Some screens from Sakura Trick, I think there'll be a 30 sec CM when IS airs this Thursday

http://moca-news.net/article/20131216/201312161123a/01/

Date A Live back in April http://date-a-live-anime.com/

Preorders for Alter's Range Murata fig open in 2 days http://blog.livedoor.jp/alter_info/archives/1848510.html

Sunday GX is advertising their Comiket goods

Also have some tsundere heavy cruiser

OwPoY

Digimon Xros Wars 24

iwfyKwpl.jpg

Officially, this episode was supposed to be the doesn't do anything guy's time to shine. But instead, I guess the animators got bored and instead decided to give us this overly detailed and flowly digivice animation of the better girl of the series.

Truer words have not be spoken
Best girl in the xros war saga.
Best girl in the entire digimon franchise ?

cajunator

Banned
Newscrap nobody bothered to post yet (I think?)

Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. seem to be getting an anime.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=103833
http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/4591321.html

Some screens from Sakura Trick, I think there'll be a 30 sec CM when IS airs this Thursday

http://moca-news.net/article/20131216/201312161123a/01/

Date A Live back in April http://date-a-live-anime.com/

Preorders for Alter's Range Murata fig open in 2 days http://blog.livedoor.jp/alter_info/archives/1848510.html

Sunday GX is advertising their Comiket goods

Also have some tsundere heavy cruiser

OwPoY

The post is filldd with dreams and promises. I hope it all delivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom