• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

GUNBUSTER SIX

Qt35TWG.gif

I can't talk right now. Busy crying my soul out.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy, Lesson 5

So now that I have seen a woman make love to a motorcycle, I have only one thing to say: The laws of physics are truly nothing compared to the power of a boner. And a boner is trumped only by one thing: the will to learn!

STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY

Live long and study.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gundam Build Fighters 01-11
This show can be fun at times, but I'm just having a really hard time connecting to it. It feels completely lacking in having any sort of human element because it is focused on Gundam stuff nearly 100% of the time. The character's eat and breath it, and almost all of their interactions revolve around that. In itself a focus like that isn't damning, but there is little elaboration ever given to any of the intricacies of controlling the Gundam, and there's even less an emphasis when it comes to the details of building them. Instead everything just seems super surface level and boring.

None of these characters are very interesting either, so the show's only salvation is typically the introduction of new characters in order to keep things fresh. At the very least the action scenes are snappy and the pacing is often on point, but there aren't really any personalities that keep me invested or engaged with what's going on.

Yowamushi Pedal 11

Nice episode to set up the next big thing that may or may not ever get shown which is pretty normal in sports anime.

Pretty cool to see which of the opposing teams to keep a focus on and to see our wanna be ace turn into an otaku.

CorvoSol

I was a mess too man. Let it all out.

I should have known when the episode was in black and white and began with the words "FIFTEEN YEARS LATER" that shit was going to be heavy.

I just didn't realize we would be talking
using the planet Jupiter as a Black Hole Bomb to kill the galaxy
heavy. I didn't realize we meant
TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS LATER
heavy. Do you know how I felt when she said
"Let's put an end to this?"
I mean the entire series we've seen how
space-time travel ruins lives by displacing people
and now, at long last,
Noriko is willing to die to prevent other people from having to experience that.
I choked up, but I held out, man. I held out even as
she ripped her goddamn heart out to give humanity hope at the cost of a galaxy.
I held out even when I saw the words
TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS LATER.

Do you know what broke me? What really had me crying my heart out in the open?

"WELCOME HOME"

Quasar

Ugh.

Started my 2013 deliberations by trying to come up with a shortlist.

After about 6 I got kind of stuck.

Eccentric Family
Log Horizon
Chihayafuru 2
Tamayura : More Aggressive
Garden of Words
Wolf Children

After that nothing really stands out. Sure theres lots that I enjoyed (like silver spoon, blast of the tempest, gargantia, minami-ke), but I'm not sure any really stand out from the crowd for me. Here I thought this would be easy.

CorvoSol

Here is my list for 2013:

Flowers of Evil
Valvrave
Flowers of Evil
Valvrave
Flowers of Evil
Valvrave
The half of Wolf Children that wasn't focused on that thankless bastard
Valvrave

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 6

Great episode about Baaya. Don't know what Hadzuki and the others expected to find out about that dude though. Joined the army and fought in the war roughly 60 years ago? Yeah, don't know why you were so confident. Good chance the dude simply died of old age or of several other causes, and all that's without taking fighting in a war into account.

Gazoinks

We doin' lists?

-Wolf Children: Unlike Corvo, I didn't have much of a problem with the thankless bastard. :p
-Flowers of Evil: Great and different. Iffy ending.
-YAAAAAMAAAATOOOOOOO: BEARDS VS CHINS IN THE FINAL SHOWDOWN
-Eccentric Family: A little vague at times, but touching, funny, and gorgeous all the same.
-Things from this season (Waiting till the finales till I pass judgement, but right now it's Kyousougiga > Log Horizon > Yozakura > Other things.)

Mature

Ugh.

Started my 2013 deliberations by trying to come up with a shortlist.

After about 6 I got kind of stuck.

After that nothing really stands out. Sure theres lots that I enjoyed (like silver spoon, blast of the tempest, gargantia, minami-ke), but I'm not sure any really stand out from the crowd for me. Here I thought this would be easy.
Yeah, 2013 is going to be a pretty simple one for me. Wolf Children, Uchouten Kazoku and (possibly) Kyousogiga will be my big ones, but there's some stuff I still gotta finish like Aku no Hana. Outside of those, we've got a large array of above average honorable mentions.

CorvoSol

Believe in the heart of the cards.

I have never watched a single episode of Yugi-Oh. Ever.

Honestly, probably madp. I did not care for Gunbuster much at all, but I absolutely loved Diebuster since it felt like a precursor to Gurren Lagann for me.

I loved Gurren Lagann. I'm willing to give Diebuster a chance, but I don't know if I can make time for it just yet.

Diebuster is a much different experience than Gunbuster, but still a pretty good one. They're both pretty enjoyable and essential.

Well, I'll have to check it out at the very least to see how you could possibly have a sequel to that ending.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly, probably madp. I did not care for Gunbuster much at all, but I absolutely loved Diebuster since it felt like a precursor to Gurren Lagann for me.

No need to undermine your own honest opinion. Overall I think that Diebuster is hit-or-miss--starts strong, loses focus, has a really messy finale--but I dislike it on principle because it essentially upends the finality and sense of accomplishment in Gunbuster's resolution. It's something that I would have probably liked more if it was its own thing and not bearing any sort of legacy behind it.

Quasar

Yeah, 2013 is going to be a pretty simple one for me. Wolf Children, Uchouten Kazoku and (possibly) Kyousogiga will be my big ones, but there's some stuff I still gotta finish like Aku no Hana. Outside of those, we've got a large array of above average honorable mentions.

Another pain is that a bunch including log horizon will be half done by the end of year. Should I even consider them? they could crash and burn in January.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have never watched a single episode of Yugi-Oh. Ever.

I would probably pay money to read your reactions to Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0. While it's failed to "impress" everyone I've recommended it to, I feel like it would really click with you the way that it does with me.

You should at least watch the 4kids dub of the Duelist Kingdom arc of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters someday, though. It's essential to anyone's anime upbringing.

Golden Time 1-7

Starting this series on a whim, and very glad I did. Mitsuo is very funny, especially early on. Kouko is adorable even as crazy possessive as she is. She reminds me of an ex I had, just with shorter hair. xD Linda is also lovely.

Not as one dimensional as others in this genre so far, It's been fun, looking forward to more going forward.

No need to undermine your own honest opinion. Overall I think that Diebuster is hit-or-miss--starts strong, loses focus, has a really messy finale--but I dislike it on principle because it essentially upends the finality and sense of accomplishment in Gunbuster's resolution. It's something that I would have probably liked more if it was its own thing and not bearing any sort of legacy behind it.

I can see that. I might feel the same way if I were a bigger Gunbuster fan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Since we're on the AotY subject anyway, has there been any progress made in determining the voting format? I rarely see BGBW post here and I don't know how much discussion on the topic has gone on in IRC so if we're leaning toward any of the million different suggestions for maximizing Wolf Children's chances improving the voting format that have been floated in here over the past few months then I'm not aware of it.

Someone was probably being mean to him.

Nope; hot twitter cosplay girlfriend.

sonicmj1

Best ending ever..

True dat.

I loved Gurren Lagann. I'm willing to give Diebuster a chance, but I don't know if I can make time for it just yet.

Well, I'll have to check it out at the very least to see how you could possibly have a sequel to that ending.

I'm in the Gunbuster > Diebuster camp, but they're really different shows. I think it's best if you give Diebuster some time before you start it, and try to meet it on its own terms. It's not trying to do the same things.

Diebuster is probably a more literal expression of what Gurren Lagann is all about, but it was Gunbuster that filled me with the same sort of optimism in humanity's, or an individual's, ability to reach anything we try our hardest to achieve.

Shergal

Diebuster is probably a more literal expression of what Gurren Lagann is all about, but it was Gunbuster that filled me with the same sort of optimism in humanity's, or an individual's, ability to reach anything we try our hardest to achieve.

And if you wanna do the full Gainax pack, Honneamise reaches the same idea even better!

Since we're on the AotY subject anyway, has there been any progress made in determining the voting format? I rarely see BGBW post here and I don't know how much discussion on the topic has gone on in IRC so if we're leaning toward any of the million different suggestions for maximizing Wolf Children's chances improving the voting format that have been floated in here over the past few months then I'm not aware of it.

I think what Zeroshiki said would work best:
The most common suggestions have been:

a.) Rank 1-10, 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9 points and so on; or
b.) You only get points for the shows that you rank so if you put down 5 shows, your number 1 only gets 5 points, your 2nd 4 points etc.

Not sure if that's what was used in last year's voting, but it makes sense.

CorvoSol

I presumed Corvo would vote for Titan :p

Just as soon as I vote for Sword Art Online and Arjuna.

I would probably pay money to read your reactions to Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0. While it's failed to "impress" everyone I've recommended it to, I feel like it would really click with you the way that it does with me.

You should at least watch the 4kids dub of the Duelist Kingdom arc of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters someday, though. It's essential to anyone's anime upbringing.

Yugi-Oh Season 0 is on the List, isn't it? You won't have to worry then, because I'll get there soon enough. AKA I'm almost certain it is the very last thing on the list.

OH, speaking of, I was hoping I might put forward a petition to get something added to the List. I worry people will think this is just part of my own personal vendetta, but I actually think that my particular entry meets a pretty good amount of the invisible criteria I have come to imagine links the entries to the List.

So the piece I would like to contribute to The List is Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer. Now here me out, I know I violently hate that movie and the IP and that this basically just sounds like me using The List to forever leave a dark mark on it forever, and while I don't pretend to be above such ignoble pursuits, I really believe that the movie worthy of the List.

Why? Three reasons, really.

First, the general silliness of the plot. Clones of a dead villain from Jupiter wind up on Earth carrying an alien metal inside them to try and take over the world. There is an entire part of the movie focused on some dude with white hair that I do not know what the point of that arc was. But it is there. The story telling being discombobulated by 00 2nd season style story telling is secondary to the fact that the main plot itself is really weird.

Second, the ending. Now I know that's part of the plot, but I think any film which ends with the announcement that a man who has been dead for years
planned on a giant flower blossoming in space
is worthy of the List, I say.

Third is the cast itself. The problem with this point is that if you haven't seen some of 00, it may feel a bit moot, but there are characters in AWTB that are carbon copies of people who died in the end of 00, so I acknowledge the weakness of this point.

Lastly, I feel that the entries on the List are almost entirely dominated by things which are just plain old, and that some new blood on the List would really freshen things up. That is to say, I feel that the resistance you in the audience are about to voice to this entry being submitted stems from its recency. Why would anybody oppose the inclusion of Cyber City Oedo 808? It's so old and crummy that we only know it exists because somebody put that on the List. Meanwhile, there has been resistance to the inclusion of Blood-C, Arjuna, and Code Geass due to their recency. So this last point is mainly an argument that being new should work in AWTB's favor, and not against it.

I confess my argument is only half made at this time, but I really think the movie is worth consideration for The List.

I think Regulus Tera could tell you alot about Gunbuster/Diebuster

Regulus would have to tell me anything at all, first.

Gazoinks

The 08th MS Team 02

Much stronger episode. They do a good job of making the show feel pretty grounded despite it being about, y'know, giant robots with laser swords and blasters. This episode also made me like Shiro more. I was afraid he was gonna be the standard "wiz kid with inexplicable talent", so I was glad
that he failed horribly in his first fight and barely made it out, and it was his own poor judgement and pride that led him into the situation in the first place.

There is no way journal boy isn't dead by the end of this show.

sonicmj1

I think what Zeroshiki said would work best:

Not sure if that's what was used in last year's voting, but it makes sense.

I think we just need to bite the bullet, go with option A, and accept that Attack on Titan is going to win. I'd consider setting a two-show minimum to weed out single-show voters, but at the end of the day it's the NeoGAF AOTY, not the AnimeGAF AOTY.

jman2050

To be entirely honest, the toothbrush scene is pure genius in that it is so absolutely insane and so far over the line that I will never, ever, ever forget that episode.

I knew you'd come around.

No one can resist the brush.

Golden Time 1-7

Starting this series on a whim, and very glad I did. Mitsuo is very funny, especially early on. Kouko is adorable even as crazy possessive as she is. She reminds me of an ex I had, just with shorter hair. xD Linda is also lovely.

Not as one dimensional as others in this genre so far, It's been fun, looking forward to more going forward.

I approve of your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom