• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diebuster is probably a more literal expression of what Gurren Lagann is all about, but it was Gunbuster that filled me with the same sort of optimism in humanity's, or an individual's, ability to reach anything we try our hardest to achieve.

I guess the presentation matters to me. The optimism and ability to "fight back" exhibited in episode 4 of Diebuster blew the more subdued, yet similar thematic instances of Gunbuster's highs out of the water for me.

I think we just need to bite the bullet, go with option A, and accept that Attack on Titan is going to win. I'd consider setting a two-show minimum to weed out single-show voters, but at the end of the day it's the NeoGAF AOTY, not the AnimeGAF AOTY.

While skimming through the 2012 votes, I still see quite a few incomplete lists. I'd actually prefer option B as I think it'd be more approachable for people that haven't seen ten shows that they think would fill up a top ten. But then again, that didn't stop anyone before, so continuing with choice B would only be satisfying my own ulterior motives for Wolf Children.

If all else fails and whoever makes the voting thread has to choose the setup themselves, I wouldn't be entirely against choice A, though.

CorvoSol

Noted. Look for a response by an avatar of a catgirl holding a penguin.

This is so exciting! I never use my twitter for any reason, so now I can use it!

On a side note, I was entertaining a delusion earlier in the thread that for once I could defeat Cajunator and be top poster since I am literally watching like more than 10 shows right now, but I looked today and I am 300 posts behind.

You could make an anime about someone trying to out post Cajun.

This is so exciting! I never use my twitter for any reason, so now I can use it!

On a side note, I was entertaining a delusion earlier in the thread that for once I could defeat Cajunator and be top poster since I am literally watching like more than 10 shows right now, but I looked today and I am 300 posts behind.

Just give up on beating Cajun.

Gazoinks

Man, I'm in 4th, but I'm 200 posts behind you. That gap probably won't be closing any time soon. :p

RE: AoTY. I'm in favor of something that doesn't require a full 10 list. I could fill out a list of 10, I think, but it'd end up with me filling the bottom of my list with shows that I don't think really deserve being AoTY.

cajunator

Banned

Just dont abandon animegaf for twitter heehee.
im watching bits of about that many as well.
gonna have to add several more apparently. So much hnng so little precious time. I love you guys. So very much.

Well I guess I'm almost done with training someone through Precure. He's gonna start Doremi right after Smile. Doing my part for Doremi bros.

That being said, I might as well start cramming some shows. I'm falling behind in some, and there's some other fall shows that have my interest now.

...like Non Non Biyori (how the fuck did I miss this).

CorvoSol

Just give up on beating Cajun.

What kind of shonen protagonist gives up on his impossible goals?

Just dont abandon animegaf for twitter heehee.
im watching bits of about that many as well.
gonna have to add several more apparently. So much hnng so little precious time. I love you guys. So very much.

When Peaceiscloser and I hung out, we gossiped about animeGAF and concluded that there was nobody who didn't like Cajun because how do you like somebody as genuinely nice as that guy?

When Peaceiscloser and I hung out, we gossiped about animeGAF and concluded that there was nobody who didn't like Cajun because how do you like somebody as genuinely nice as that guy?

1. Someone who isn't a little boy. I'm a grizzled old man at the age of 22. I think I understand limits.

2. Wait... Wait.. what?

Bombless

GUNBUSTER SIX

Qt35TWG.gif

I can't talk right now. Busy crying my soul out.

I'm glad you made it Corvo /sniff

cajunator

Banned
Well I guess I'm almost done with training someone through Precure. He's gonna start Doremi right after Smile. Doing my part for Doremi bros.

That being said, I might as well start cramming some shows. I'm falling behind in some, and there's some other fall shows that have my interest now.

...like Non Non Biyori (how the fuck did I miss this).

Its not perchance Zachy kun is it?

There are a small number who dont like me. Nobody is ever liked by everyone.

Mature

Would there be an arc about bringing Jexhius, the one who almost beat Cajun, out of retirement to train the new blood?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
text removed for space

Season 0 is a failed List candidate, technically. I laid out my justification for it being an "unquantifiable" show last year, but everyone I screened it with found it simply, unironically bad leaving me alone in my impression. The List is built on consensus, so while everyone has a few pet series that they swear up and down belong there (for me, it's YGO S0, Tytania, and Kiss Dum: Engage Planet), if there aren't enough people to vouch for the show, it's not added.

I can't speak on your arguments for AWTB because I haven't seen it, but I feel like most people who have seen it find it repugnant rather than entertaining. An important consideration for List shows is that they're actually entertaining to watch, which basically means there has to be some sort of X-factor to the presentation of the material that operates in tandem with "bad writing" to elicit a perverse amazement on the part of the viewer. It's far from an exact science, but it's the reason why there's never a consensus on whether or not something like Black Rock Shooter TV belongs on the List. Whether it's painful or hilarious to watch is highly subjective.

The high concentration of old works on the List can basically be chalked up to the economic circumstances surrounding the OVA market in the late 80s/early 90s. The rise of the anime consumer market essentially coincided with Japan's "bubble" economy and, as such, studios at the time were able to take more risks in the mad grab for consumer cash. The popularity of the OVA format at the time also facilitated this because it was ideal for testing the market viability of a new project without the financial investment necessary for a TV-length series. Of course, risks sometime end in failure, and so the era was flush with bad and bizarre projects ranging from extremely rushed manga adaptations to barely-retooled ripoffs of successful works to just plain clusterfucks of terrible writing that made it to market because they ticked off enough marketability boxes.

Combine this with an infant American anime industry with no quality control whatsoever and you get double the already-high number of "special" works from this era because of comically horrible dubs that manage to elevate stuff that was otherwise mundane in its badness. Because the Japanese anime industry is more conservative now and the English localization industry is more mature, truly bad dubs and entertainingly bad OVAs are mostly extinct. Notice how around 2000, almost everything on the list suddenly transitions from OVA to TV with a couple of exceptions like ICE and Kuttsukiboshi.

White Album 2 - 6
Poor Setsuna. She deserves better than this.

Her
realization of what's really going on between the two
was handled quite well.

White Album 2 - 7
For a big musical performance that the show has been building up to, the storyboarding for it was incredibly flat visually.

I'm anticipating an explosion to happen in the next couple of episodes. Emotions are running high between these contenders!

Nordicus

Monogatari SS 1

So when Araragi said "There is no room in this house for Hanekawa Tsubasa" he meant that literally and not figuratively? Girl has been Harry Pottering it up for like, fifteen years? HOLY SHIT.
Huh, I thought that was really obvious during Nekomonogatari Kuro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom