• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like either of us have the talent, funding, or rights to do this, haha.

EDIT: You just want to do Ether for the decapitations. Everybody knows Ammon is the real deal. Romance, action, adventure, and disarming people.

I can sell off my ancestral land in the Philippines to Korean corporations. WORTH IT

Ether's got submarines.

Branduil

Brain Powerd 10

isJLYATY2mTJG.jpg
ibuZO5euSGtlro.jpg

irhEeFR0s9qpM.jpg
iJiVWKRAlUfd4.jpg

iKbNfNEyvkNfK.jpg
ibchC2ZiGTgbem.jpg

ibbpSQueMQMDSS.jpg
iw9f2G6yQ2Wfv.jpg

I'd say I don't understand what's going on any more, but the truth is I never did. The first half of this episode was pretty dang boring, but the ending delivered with the crazy. Tomino has some issues with women, along with issues with depicting human interaction in general.

Bonus shot of Jonathan, who is either wearing invisible suspenders or suffering from severe nipple chafing.

ibcyoUpzY7LOzk.jpg

CorvoSol

Brain Powerd 10

I'd say I don't understand what's going on any more, but the truth is I never did. The first half of this episode was pretty dang boring, but the ending delivered with the crazy. Tomino has some issues with women, along with issues with depicting human interaction in general.

Bonus shot of Jonathan, who is either wearing invisible suspenders or suffering from severe nipple chafing.

ibcyoUpzY7LOzk.jpg

Everything I know about know about Brain Powerd I learned from Super Robot Wars J.

Branduil

The thing the screencaps don't fully capture is the complete Tomino-ness of the script. Those lines and scenes are particularly bad and awkward, but the entire show is saturated with the exact same kind of incomprehensible dialogue and characterization. Any differences in the sensibility of a given scene are in degree, not kind.

And I'm not talking about the completely gobbledygook science fiction plot either, although that obviously contributes. The way that characters interact and speak in no way resembles anything recognizable; it's as if the entire script is nothing but non sequiturs, one after another.

It literally feels like the script was written by an alien.

CorvoSol

The thing the screencaps don't fully capture is the complete Tomino-ness of the script. Those lines and scenes are particularly bad and awkward, but the entire show is saturated with the exact same kind of incomprehensible dialogue and characterization. Any differences in the sensibility of a given scene are in degree, not kind.

And I'm not talking about the completely gobbledygook science fiction plot either, although that obviously contributes. The way that characters interact and speak in no way resembles anything recognizable; it's as if the entire script is nothing but non sequiturs, one after another.

It literally feels like the script was written by an alien.

Sounds pretty Tomino to me, yeah. Like in Gundam people say it is being a Newtype that explains why people say such crazy stuff, but the truth is that, after pacing, Tomino's greatest weakness is writing dialogue.

Jex

By catching sequence do we mean where they open the cockpit to put the girl in? I mean I guess it was sakuga, but it didn't seem all that impressive to me.

But maybe I'm just a charlatan.

I think it's worth taking a second to explain why this one of the most powerful, and most referenced, sequences in all of Macross. Firstly, a rough gif:

fall.gif~original

This sequence is actually about 14 seconds in length but it's sped up in the .gif. As we can see the camera is always centred on Minmay as she falls around, and eventually into, the cockpit of the VF-1. What's staggering about the animation in this scene is how many things are being animated at once all while the camera is moving throughout the action. Not only is Minmay, her clothing and her hair being animated but so is the VF-1 which appears to be a fully real 3D object and we have the camera that travels all the way from the outside of the craft to the inside of the craft and then back again all without a single 'cut'.

To animate all these things happening at the same time means that the animators had to practically redraw everything on screen from scratch every few frames. This is hugely time consuming because you're usually just changing some part of some character and leaving everything else in 'the shot' untouched, where as here due to the spectacular camera movement the animators have to re-draw all the details. When the sequence is broken down into individual images it looks something like this:

Of course, outside of the sheer technical accomplishment of the scene we also have the powerful imagery of Hikaru reaching out and catching Minmay in mid air. It's hardly surprising that such a powerful and resonant piece of animation has been replicated everywhere from Eurkea 7 to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Gazoinks

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

I like the retroy designs of the ships, they look like submarines and planes. They feel light in the CG, but I hear that gets better. Overall a very nice-looking show from this first episode.

Story-wise not really that much to say yet, fairly typical premise, and it hasn't really launched yet. Best scene was probably the first, when
everyone kept dying. Especially the singing at the end, with Kodai.

Shergal

There was a time when Tomino was a heavily demanded and respected storyboarder working on such shows as Future boy Conan, Anne of Green Gables, Tomorrow's Joe.
Maybe it'd have been best if he remained doing that.

Branduil

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the entire OP is just all of the female characters superimposed over backdrops, floating around naked, so yeah...

Jarmel

Banned
It's hardly surprising that such a powerful and resonant piece of animation has been replicated everywhere from Eurkea 7 to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

The more I learn about anime, the more I learn how much of Eureka 7 was referential to previous Super Robot shows.

Jex

Rotation of the VF-1 in that is so so hot.

Another thing I got to mention, it combines super hot mechanical animation (nhghn 3D rotation in space) with super hot character animation all in a single seamless shot.

Jex

There was a time when Tomino was a heavily demanded and respected storyboarder working on such shows as Future boy Conan, Anne of Green Gables, Tomorrow's Joe.
Maybe it'd have been best if he remained doing that.

The world needs his crazy creative ideas, he just shouldn't be in charge of writing anything. Or editing. Or directing.

Jex

But I thought he already made Space Runaway Ideon.

I don't know if Tomino is actively aware of what he's doing, or has done, or will be doing in the future. He just seems to kind of exist as a creative force that makes stuff because.

Dynedom

One of the great things about finally learning that the scene in Eureka 7 is a lift of the same scene in Macross (I only watched Macross sometime after) is that it in no way diminishes the impact of the former and the way it happens in Macross is still quite breathtaking.

I can't think of many straight copies/homages that don't have their impacts diminished because of that.

Maybe it was like Devilman Lady where Go Nagai was like, "Hey, remember me?"

Of course, he also predicted the Hosodapocalypse in that show.

Okay, this might be kinda :kayos of me, but what exactly is the Hosodapocalypse? I know who Mamoru Hosoda is, what he's worked on, and how he's one of AnimeGAF's darlings, but that's it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I kind of want to watch Macross now, are there any future plans for a new series?

Not currently; in fact, in the past 30 years, there have only been three Macross television series and a handful of OVAs and films, so it's actually quite infrequent for there to be Macross anything in the works at any given time.

The Frontier merchandising gravy train has to be nearly dried up by this point, so I'd love to hear at least something in the next couple of years.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Okay, this might be kinda :kayos of me, but what exactly is the Hosodapocalypse? I know who Mamoru Hosoda is, what he's worked on, and how he's one of AnimeGAF's darlings, but that's it.
It's a joke from a while back. Since the then-upcoming Wolf Children was going to be a great film, anime fans would become furries. Inspired by Mawaru-Penguindrum being referred to as the Penguin Apocalypse, which in turn is from Ikuhara's previous work with Utena.

Almost done with the Yorknew arc of Hunter x Hunter. I just wanted to pop in and say that I can't stand fights where one side holds back.
The Zoldycks just finished fighting Chrollo. And in the end you find out Chrollo was holding back. Like, wow! He must be really really tough and badass!
. I hate it. I'm not sure what the desired effect is, but it never plays out well in any anime. Ever.

Hattori

Banned
Not that I'm aware of...

Kawamori is doing that batshit crazy Nobunaga series next season, so probably not anytime soon.

Nothing last I checked. The FB 7 movie was released last year and that's about it.

Not currently; in fact, in the past 30 years, there have only been three Macross television series and a handful of OVAs and films, so it's actually quite infrequent for there to be Macross anything in the works at any given time.

The Frontier merchandising gravy train has to be nearly dried up by this point, so I'd love to hear at least something in the next couple of years.
That's unfortunate.
@madp now that I that think about it, you're absolutely right.

fertygo

By catching sequence do we mean where they open the cockpit to put the girl in? I mean I guess it was sakuga, but it didn't seem all that impressive to me.

But maybe I'm just a charlatan..
Aside for the fact its a high level technical craft.
That scene is very iconic and got referenced on everywhere, that's anime equivalence of King Kong's empire state building scene.

• In The Beginning: Osamu Tezuka's Stories from the Old Testament 01
It's on YouTube, dubbed in English for anyone else wanting to watch this.

Oh my gosh wonderful cheesy late-90's music. It's like I'm watching Animated Stories from the Bible again. Were those animated by Japanese studios or are they all-American? I'll find out some other time.

For reviewing purposes I'm just going to watch this absolutely literally, as the show presents it.

"God said, let the water be filled with many living beings."
I think it's pretty cool they decided to show paramecium and other aquatic microorganisms before all the fish.

I love Tezuka's designs. They're just so classic and neutral. Especially that ridiculous kangaroo and an inexplicable sabre-tooth tiger. Or maybe it's a normal tiger. Eh.

The music that plays when Adam spawns is seriously lifted straight from Star Wars.

hY5wuRo.png

The man saw the woman and said
DAISUKE. And it was good.

How could you deny Eve's smiling face when she offers the fruit. Adam doesn't even blink. Interestingly enough God doesn't show up in person to confront Adam about the sin, everything just suddenly turns into death and wasteland and they're cast out right at the moment they eat the fruit.

sI5kq6Y.png

Apparently the Garden of Eden is in space.

8JKxIjh.gif

holy crap Cain is most annoying crying baby ever. imagine a fate worse than death. Also THATSAPENIS.gif

Finally some real dubbed dialogue. I love how the stock audio just randomly cuts out at times. Cain's anger at Abel is justified a little here in that Abel's flock of sheep come and trample his fields -- to the sound of saxophones.

Cain: "I've had enough of you!"
Abel (in the softest voice): "...Cain?"
Cain (in a constipated voice): "You always... AAGH. I can't... stand it!"​
You have to hear it to believe it.

Cain's banishment has oddly hopeful music.

At this point I'm seeing YouTube comments saying there are scenes that were cut for nudity and violence, so I'm probably going to look elsewhere for a Japanese sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom