• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
GJ-bu sequel will be a special. Graduation trip to NY. https://twitter.com/gj_anime/status/412961003651858432 (correct me if I'm wrong)

b2.jpg

Yessssssss

CorvoSol

1. Someone who isn't a little boy. I'm a grizzled old man at the age of 22. I think I understand limits.

2. Wait... Wait.. what?

2 out of 2 people polled agree that Cajunator is the nicest guy around.

I'm glad you made it Corvo /sniff

Show was some heavy stuff though, I tell you what.

There are a small number who dont like me. Nobody is ever liked by everyone.

They're like that kid from the cartoon show Recess who didn't like TJ Detweiler. Incomprehensible.

Would there be an arc about bringing Jexhius, the one who almost beat Cajun, out of retirement to train the new blood?

Only if he is grizzled and dies making a heroic speech.

Always remember: I was your first follower.

First tweet should've been "be gentle with me."

I can't speak on your arguments for AWTB because I haven't seen it, but I feel like most people who have seen it find it repugnant rather than entertaining. An important consideration for List shows is that they're actually entertaining to watch, which basically means there has to be some sort of X-factor to the presentation of the material that operates in tandem with "bad writing" to elicit a perverse amazement on the part of the viewer. It's far from an exact science, but it's the reason why there's never a consensus on whether or not something like Black Rock Shooter TV belongs on the List. Whether it's painful or hilarious to watch is highly subjective.

I feel like AWTB could still count as oddly enjoyable. I mean there must be some people on GAF who liked that movie. In fact, I think the movie becomes more enjoyable if you have not seen the rest of the series. It loses all semblance of coherence, but you no longer have to worry about it being consistent with a show that couldn't stay consistent between episodes 25 and 50.

I think the movie is worth considering, but I confess I'd have to watch it again to make a more compelling argument in its favor.

Happy Science keeps bad dubbing alive.

So I'm finishing Golden Boy today, and according to my copy of The List this means that Happy Science is next. Now, given my own personal background I am a little reluctant to just make fun of a religion, because that sort of move doesn't jive with me and what I stand for.

So before I watch this, I would like to at least know that these movies were authorized by the Happy Science dudes and or reflect their actual beliefs. Because there's that one movie that floats around about Mormons that is completely off base about them and this sounds sort of similar.

I mean, I'll watch them and make my decision after I do on what to say, but I am just a little uncomfortable going into this.

Huh, I thought that was really obvious during Nekomonogatari Kuro.

It wasn't, though. We don't see what Araragi sees and all he says is
there is no room for her in that house.
Which, considering he's in hysterics at the moment, and that this problem is never elaborated on, even in this series, isn't exactly clear.

most people would be traumatized by that to be fair.

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm some kind of crazy outlier for finding some of these things over the line.

Lol , Trying to beat cajun is something i tried once, only to fail hard.Now i just post...
Cajun is ....well ..i guess it's part of being cajunator i guess.

Someday I will outpost Cajunator and on that day I will know I need to go outside and do something else with my life.

Personally, I find the show has shown me lengthy bath scenes for the characters I do want to see =p

That said, keep watching =D

Oh here you are! I wrote "lengthy" final reviews of Nise and Neko expecting you'd talk about them and you snubbed me! See if I ever offer to brush your teeth.

AReed

Nyarko-san EP 1

Something I will never understand is how
in the bath scene, Mahiro denies the cute, totally naked Nyarko who has already openly confessed to him and wants them to be the "new Adam and Eve". What is wrong with this kid? Unless he's gay, which is totally fine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So I'm finishing Golden Boy today, and according to my copy of The List this means that Happy Science is next. Now, given my own personal background I am a little reluctant to just make fun of a religion, because that sort of move doesn't jive with me and what I stand for.

So before I watch this, I would like to at least know that these movies were authorized by the Happy Science dudes and or reflect their actual beliefs. Because there's that one movie that floats around about Mormons that is completely off base about them and this sounds sort of similar.

I mean, I'll watch them and make my decision after I do on what to say, but I am just a little uncomfortable going into this.
Ever seen Saturday's Warrior? Stuff can still be silly even when it agrees with what you believe in. Fair point, though.

Laws of Eternity
Original creator: Ryuho Okawa
Chief Production Supervisor: Ryuho Okawa
M2JsCOo.jpg

9lKG6nx.jpg

Based on the book by Ryuho Okawa.

The Rebirth of Buddha
oCITweA.jpg

HxDiiFP.jpg

The Golden Laws
TU2Y8F7.jpg

Z6Id0nK.jpg

Based on the book by Ryuho Okawa

The Laws of the Sun
ZPZF59w.jpg

bJIquPl.jpg

Based on the book by Ryuho Okawa

Hermes: Winds of Love
Original Concept: Ryuho Okawa
Executive producer: Ryuho Okawa
hVJsbLC.jpg

vQv9SXK.jpg

514twrX.jpg

The Mystical Laws
fmnAe01.jpg

b75PcFu.jpg

That Ryuho Okawa card screenshot is "Executive Producer" in all cases. That second card for Hermes has the Japanese for "Kofuku no Kagaku" although the English just says "IRH".

Basically, it's almost as official and direct as Arjuna was in representing Shoji Kawamori's beliefs.

CorvoSol

Ever seen Saturday's Warrior? Stuff can still be silly even when it agrees with what you believe in. Fair point, though.

That Ryuho Okawa card screenshot is "Executive Producer" in all cases. That second card for Hermes has the Japanese for "Kofuku no Kagaku" although the English just says "IRH".

Okay then. I mean, I was always going to watch, but I'll feel less hesitant knowing that these were all authorized and produced by the actual Happy Science people.

On a side note, Mom and Dad never made me watch Saturday's Warrior. I don't think I've even seen The RM. The only stuff like that I've seen is Singles Ward, Charlie (which I confess made me bawl) and Mr. Kruger's Christmas (again, I cried.). Oh, and the new version of Johnny Lingo, which was funny, but not really up to the snuff that older generations had built it. I saw a really old cartoon version of the Joseph Smith story once, and I only remember it because the old man's eyebrows changed color from scene to scene.

Otherwise, though, my parents weren't one of those "No TV, only DVDs we approve, make you watch veggie tales" kinda families.

EDIT: I think I've mentioned before that my dad is as into anime as I am. We're not into the same kinds of anime, though. I'm a mecha buff and dad is much more about the kind of violent 80s OVAs that make the list all the time. He was watching that one french titled anime that Felix Orion watched awhile back. One time he watched a bit of Sword Art Online, and another time I had an awkward conversation in which dad and I both realized we had both watched High School of the Dead and both more or less agreed to never speak of it again.

It was like that scene in The Last Crusade where Indy realizes he's slept with the same woman his dad has, except not at all like that and only about anime.

Also mom and dad watched Project A-Ko. Like years ago.

I actually just finished watching GJ-bu/GJ Club last night. Didn't seem to go anywhere, but had its humorous moments. Contrast that with Going Home Club which didn't seem to go anywhere and didn't have its humorous moments. But I'd probably watch a sequel.

Not enough impressions? Lots of people post in its thread though.

I think he means not enough people who post their impressions from the show from scratch. I think, I haven't been in the OT to avoid spoilers.

Hunter x Hunter is amazing and we don't get nearly enough impressions of it around here. Just want to say that I am loving yours, they capture the experience perfectly. Keep 'em coming! =D

I really love the Shounen adventure genre. I haven't felt excited for another story arc in a show like this since Fairy Tail which is one of my favourites.

I know that this show is going to go places Fairy Tail wouldn't dare to go, but that makes me all the more excited.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Honestly, I can understand your concerns. I don't like to mock religions just for having colorful beliefs about metaphysics and ultimate reality, but I was fine with pointing and laughing at Happy Science largely because of how it shamelessly perverts several existing religious traditions. If it makes you feel any more comfortable, Ryuho Okawa, the founder of Happy Science, is essentially a highly deranged but very shrewd businessman who coopted elements of several major world religions to prop himself up as a godlike figure in order to turn his own image into a commodity. Okawa claims to be the reincarnation of the Buddha, who he claims was, in turn, inspired by the universal god El Cantare, who is most akin in doctrinal function to Scientology's Xenu. Okawa uses his purported divinity to sell hundreds of self-help books all founded on an ideology that's a mishmash of Buddhism, Scientology, and American neoconservatism.

You'll realize once you've watched The Laws of Eternity that Okawa has no respectable ideas of his own but desperately tries to associate himself with as many other great people and great ideas as he possibly can in order to lend more credence to his image as a divinely-ordained vessel of light and truth. All Happy Science movies are funded by the organization itself and are directly adapted from books that Ryuko Okawa has written, so never doubt that anything that you're watching is in any way a misrepresentation of what they actually believe.

And because I can't stress it enough, remember the correct viewing order:

Laws of Eternity -> Rebirth of Buddha -> Golden Laws -> Laws of the Sun -> Hermes: Winds of Love -> Mystical Laws

Unbreakable Machine Doll - 07

Unbreakable%20Machine-Doll%20-%2007.jpg

Tsundereeee

What are you doing raishin ?
At least you got back up ...
This turn of event was kinda predictable ... but this episode was kinda saved by yaya panicking and then getting jealous.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Unbreakable Machine Doll - 07

What are you doing raishin ?
At least you got back up ...
This turn of event was kinda predictable ... but this episode was kinda saved by yaya panicking and then getting jealous.

Yaya usually saves the show from being a dull affair.

Faiz

The announcement for the new Samumenco OP really took me off guard. I never really took note wether it was announced as one or two cour, and the last episode really made it feel like it was heading into the end... So I assumed one. Genuinely curious about where it's going from here.

Am I supposed to be excited after watching that?

Because I'm not.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha PV looks nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F26Yjm5-qWA

Looks nice.

Really need to start reading the manga again.

http://natalie.mu/music/news/105896

Samurai Flamenco's second OP is a FLOW song!!!!!!! :D

OH SNAP!

Guess I have to listen to the next one as well.

Oh looks like we got Jump leaks?

I have no idea who anyone is aside from Jotaro.

Why am I reminded of Aki Sora?

The announcement for the new Samumenco OP really took me off guard. I never really took note wether it was announced as one or two cour, and the last episode really made it feel like it was heading into the end... So I assumed one. Genuinely curious about where it's going from here.

The week leading up to the episode they had shown the new characters joining the cast, though I guess it hadnt really been publicized.

CorvoSol

Honestly, I can understand your concerns. I don't like to mock religions just for having colorful beliefs about metaphysics and ultimate reality, but I was fine with pointing and laughing at Happy Science largely because of how it shamelessly perverts several existing religious traditions. If it makes you feel any more comfortable, Ryuho Okawa, the founder of Happy Science, is essentially a highly deranged but very shrewd businessman who coopted elements of several major world religions to prop himself up as a godlike figure in order to turn his own image into a commodity. Okawa claims to be the reincarnation of the Buddha, who he claims was, in turn, inspired by the universal god El Cantare, who is most akin in doctrinal function to Scientology's Xenu. Okawa uses his purported divinity to sell hundreds of self-help books all founded on an ideology that's a mishmash of Buddhism, Scientology, and American neoconservatism.

You'll realize once you've watched The Laws of Eternity that Okawa has no respectable ideas of his own but desperately tries to associate himself with as many other great people and great ideas as he possibly can in order to lend more credence to his image as a divinely-ordained vessel of light and truth. All Happy Science movies are funded by the organization itself and are directly adapted from books that Ryuko Okawa has written, so never doubt that anything that you're watching is in any way a misrepresentation of what they actually believe.

And because I can't stress it enough, remember the correct viewing order:

Laws of Eternity -> Rebirth of Buddha -> Golden Laws -> Laws of the Sun -> Hermes: Winds of Love -> Mystical Laws

Well alright then. After Golden Boy ends today, I'll be sure to start Laws of Eternity. So everybody hold onto your hats.

Shin Mazinger Z 20

At long last we know what the hell actually happened on Bardos Island, and I gotta say that this is some heavy stuff. Basically,
Kenzo became or allowed himself to become infected by a Kedora, driving him to join Dr. Hell and betray his father, his wife, and his best friend.
Ultimately, what caused the suffering of Kouji and Shiro was The Hand of God. Literally,
the hand of the God Zeus, in which photonic energy rests, and from which Super Alloy Z is made. This hand drove Hell to his ambitions of world domination, drove Kenzo to betray his father, gave Juuzou the power to build Mazinger to settle his score with Stroheim, which of course lead to basically all this stuff. That hand is the reason that Tsubasa murdered her husband and his friend. That hand is the hand that destroyed Bardos and drove Asura to madness, too.

There is one minor point the episode does not address that I feel is kind of sort of important to know, though:
during the fallout on Bardos Island, where was Kouji? I mean I assume that Shiro was still in the womb, but then where the heck was Kouji?

Honestly Kouji also had to have been like ten by this point, given the age disparity between him and Shiro. Kouji's inability to remember ANY of this is the gaping hole in the plot.

Mari & Gali 11-40 END

While it appears that I wasn't watching much, I was still watching this over time, getting accustomed to all the wacky interpretations of famous scientists of old, teaching Mari the glories of science through robots, apple fetishes, a perverted old man, and other foods.

The second half of the show definitely started gearing more to teaching the lessons flat out as Mari developed her interests in science. It's not a bad thing though, considering that the show was made to do that, as well as keeping the wackiness intact with things like GIANT ROBOTS and Wacky Racers.

I do feel that Galileo tends to get shit from the cast from his antics, which is funny considering that you'd think he was responsible for naming the town Galihabara. And BISHONEN Newton was still a pleasure to see because of his Apple fetishism. Darwin was quite the character, and Archimedes certainly loves to strip in front of people. I don't really hate anyone in the show, and that's great!

Of course, being a 5 minute burst per episode generally means having a problem be resolved fast enough (except the last 3 episodes for example), and sometimes you want it to be explored more, like the Robot and the Wacky Racers episode to a lesser extent.

I was fine with the sound direction, and the general artstyle overall (SHOCKING), as well as the overall interactions with everyone involved, and I wouldn't have expected less. I think now that I've relearned the wonders of science, I need to start taking on things I fell behind at, because I certainly suck at building up resolve to finish Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Came home after a day of work , start watching anime and suddenly ...work construction near my house ... not to mention the huge inconvenince made by the noise it makes , the fact that my wireless headset refuse to sync up for no reason to compensate ,there is also a lot of dust in the air now ...

Anime viewing cancelled

I can't believe this ...

This morning i couldn't watch anime either because there was a power outage !

What is this ? Are the gods telling me to not watch anime today ?

WTF

Came home after a day of work , start watching anime and suddenly ...work construction near my house ... not to mention the huge inconvenince made by the noise it makes , the fact that my wireless headset refuse to sync up for no reason to compensate ,there is also a lot of dust in the air now ...

Anime viewing cancelled

I can't believe this ...

This morning i couldn't watch anime either because there was a power outage !

What is this ? Are the gods telling me to not watch anime today ?

WTF

Jeez. I understand your pain, but for different reasons. The Street that connects our road to the outside traffic constantly gets worked on, so it generally fucks up my routes. Bus Stops are a big pain for me when construction gets involved. The worst part is that it takes for-fucking-ever for them to even finish, so it's nothing but a huge inconvenience for me.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

26,601 *4 Infinite Stratos 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/10/30

I don't know if I should feel disappointed or not, considering how sub par the season has been.

Spring update:
Maou-sama v6, final volume, adds 700 BDs, total 11,009. Nice to see it top 11k. Second season when? Series average: 11,395

Seriously, S2 of Hataraku Maou-sama when?

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 20

I feel this episode is worth commenting on because of the discussion going on in the OT about whether or not Japan acknowledges its crimes enough during WWII. In this episode, Ryoma goes on a date with Michiru to her mother's childhood home, which is in ruins. It turns out that the house was destroyed during an American air raid during the War. As the episode progresses, we are shown, graphically, the horror of the war when the American fighter planes fire at Michiru's mother when she was a little girl, bomb her house, and fill her father with bullets as he tries to get his daughter to safety.

In a way, the Americans are presented as being less human than the Dinosaur Empire because we see the Dinosaurs within their ships, whereas the Americans are not shown, and their planes are more the stuff of nightmares for it as they hound a little girl desperately trying to flee for her life. These scenes are echoed when Emperor Gore decides he's sick of sending just one Mechasaur after the Getter and sends an entire fleet of ships to bomb a city, sending Michiru's mother into PTSD. We sit by in horror as the Dinosaur planes mow down fleeing civilians, and the episode is punctuated by Ryoma desperately trying to save a little girl who cannot reach cover as the Dinosaurs fire around her for sport.

At the episode's beginning the theme is set as Ryoma looks out over the ocean and says "I cannot believe so beautiful a place was ever part of so terrible a war." and Michiru's mother comments "Human beings should never again make such terrible mistakes."

So here we have a story made by the Japanese for the Japanese (presumably for children) in which the Americans in the War are undoubtedly villainous and the Japanese are presented in the form of a father struggling to protect his daughter and of course an innocent little girl.

Is this story an example of the Japanese vilifying their conquerors and feigning ignorance of their crimes? I think such a conclusion would be seriously narrow-sighted. Foremost because this story is something that really could have happened. While WWI is presented in the West as a conflict of mad governments determined to kill one another for no reason, WWII always becomes glorified as a struggle between good and evil, ignoring the fact that the good guys did some pretty bad things themselves.

Specifically, air raiding civilians was something which, when the Great Wars began, was the most callous and hideous of things to do. Over the course of the war it went from an unspeakable act to common place, and the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki are the terrifying cap on a war filled with similar, if lesser, such atrocities.

So this episode doesn't need to address the Rape of Nanking, because it's demonstrating something that is entirely unrelated and entirely true: that air raiding civilian habitations was an awful, vile thing and a serious mistake committed by the human race against itself. The entire episode serves as well to remind Japanese as Americans as Germans as British that bombing cities where people live is a horrible, unthinkable act, that war is terrifying.

What's more, though, is that when this episode came out, America and Russia were at each other's throats, and every one on earth rightly feared what would happen if they wound up going to actual war. So the conclusion that war was horrible wasn't just based in WWII, but it was entirely relevant to the children watching the cartoon, especially since Japan was an American base right outside of the Communist sphere of influence. There was good reason to fear any and all thought of war.

What makes this episode different from Kaifun's ranting in Macross is not hard to see. For starters, we're shown why Michiru's mother hates war so much. We SEE the planes bomb her home and shoot her father. We see that there are consequences for this even in the present, as Michiru's mother collapses into a traumatic fit when the Dinosaurs come. Most of all, though, Michiru's mother does not reject soldiers as somehow being monstrous. That's a point which Getter Robo stresses: even though the Dinosaurs are not human, there are good men in their ranks, and they behave in very human ways.

Meanwhile, in Macross, we're not shown or even given a specific reason why Kaifun hates war. The Unification wars happened off-screen, and Kaifun is not shown as having suffered directly because of them. In that way, Setsuna F. Seiei and Shinn Asuka are much more sympathetic than Kaifun, because you're shown directly how war has screwed up their lives, and given a reason to hate it. Kaifun never shows any direct reason to believe he's still suffering from war. It seems more, in fact, that he's using war as a means of making himself popular by opposing it. I mean, that opposition and the fact that he's fucking his cousin made him a movie star. Last of all, though, Kaifun engages in exactly the kind of thinking and behavior that causes war: he refuses to acknowledge that soldiers are capable of being human, instead he engages in Othering, treating soldiers as war-loving monsters. He claims to be a pacifist who only knows how to kick ass for the sake of protection, but ignores that this is the entire reason soldiers are at war anyway (to protect the people aboard the Macross and on the Earth), and he actively promotes violence as cool (starring in a movie). He says the UN should stop fighting and surrender to the Zentradi, even though it is okay for himself, personally, to defend himself and through those actions inflict disproportionately greater pain on others.

The point is, I really must applaud this episode of Getter Robo, because it does an excellent job of showing why war is a terrible thing, regardless what side you're on. The suffering Michiru's mother goes through isn't meant to justify Japanese crimes, nor is it specifically meant to demonize the Americans who inflicted it. It's just meant to show that war is a horrible thing, and that innocent lives are destroyed during it.

please don't be fake please don't be fake please don't be fake

It's not fake.

Hope KyoAni is doing it. They need something to save them from their trash light novels.

The manga isn't that great, but it's kind of cute at least.

Would it be easy to watch for someone who has only watched the first season?

It's an alternate universe from the main Haruhi series. Ideally you'd have watched the Disappearance of Haruhi film - the lead is the alternate version of Nagato from there.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter x Hunter is amazing and we don't get nearly enough impressions of it around here. Just want to say that I am loving yours, they capture the experience perfectly. Keep 'em coming! =D

I was giving impressions but it was in the HxH thread :p

People were probably turned off by the censored and somewhat poorly adapted beginning compared to the first tv series. That and animegaf is pretty adverse to long running shounen in general.

It's a shame since it's such a quality series that has gone far and beyond both the original anime and the manga.

It's an alternate universe from the main Haruhi series. Ideally you'd have watched the Disappearance of Haruhi film - the lead is the alternate version of Nagato from there.

Guess not for me!

Samurai Flamenco 9

You know, that makes sense for Monsters of the Week. Although, lets say, it's more understandable in a lot of mahou shoujos when you consider that they bother to magically fix anything that was destroyed. This show still manages to be really entertaining, and certainly something that I've enjoyed every time we got a new episode. Too bad GD fell off a cliff immediately. This might be the best Thursday show for me.

CorvoSol

Macross 20

Why the fuck are Minmay and Kaifun allowed to be present while Captain Global is making an announcement? Why the fuck does Minmay get away with pulling a goddamn Kanye West on Captain Global?

WHO WROTE THIS TRAINWRECK OF A SECOND HALF?

Blazblue Alter Memory 11

Nooooooooooooo, Nu!

Not again!

Why do you always have to "die" at the end?

At least I can take in solace that her sacrifice and final moments were done well. Can't really say the same for the rest of the episode (or for the series as a whole for that matter).

Almost hilarious how the fight with Terumi ended and how they literally skipped Mu's fight with Hakumen and Jin.

People were probably turned off by the censored and somewhat poorly adapted beginning compared to the first tv series. That and animegaf is pretty adverse to long running shounen in general.

It's a shame since it's such a quality series that has gone far and beyond both the original anime and the manga.

Since I'm watching what is apparently the remake, I can see why some people who are fans of the original would be turned off. It's not as bloody as I expected it to be. But for a newcomer like myself, I'm perfectly fine with it. It's nowhere near terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom