• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does animegaf think of Hellsing Ultimate? I bought the first half of the BD release when it came out, where it's sat in my backlog. Just bought the 2nd half from Amazon since it's fairly cheap there.

Quasar

Seems easiest just to follow the same criteria that were used last year, which is any series that had at least one new episode in the year in question, and any movie that saw its first disc release in the year in question.

Excluding shows that haven't finished, while there's a certain amount of logic to it, just feels like a bit of a fun-killer.

Fair enough. And it does reduce complexity in voting/counting votes.

Can someone find a link to last years vote post that I can use as a template? I tried to find it using search but failed.

Gundam Build Fighters 8

A better showing of the new surpassing the old generation than Naruto. Then again, that's not a surprise, especially in a show geared towards marketing Gunplas to kids.

That being said, so much hype! Fucking science!

Which is, I would argue, the problem with Haruhi.

On a note completely unrelated, I have decided that the reason that every woman in Monogatari wants Araragi's dick so bad, his sisters included, is because some apocalyptic event occurred which slaughtered the vast majority of the men on the planet. Meaning Araragi is probably one of like, fifty guys in all of Japan.

Or because the rest of the world isn't exactly important. Kinda like that in many cases.

Hell, maybe Araragi is just a natural born Lady Killer

Gundam Build Fighters 8

A better showing of the new surpassing the old generation than Naruto. Then again, that's not a surprise, especially in a show geared towards marketing Gunplas to kids.

That being said, so much hype! Fucking science!

This show has really been surprisingly good. Love seeing all the machines (and their variations) that I never thought I'd see again. So much nostalgia.

CorvoSol

Woah. Taking any harem show with this interpretation changes everything!

Except School Days. Those girls were better off staying as far away from men as humanly possible.

I knew you'd come around to my way of thinking eventually. There's no way streets could naturally be that empty all the time!

And the school. And all public places. I'm telling you, the world was hit by a disease which killed off basically all men. There are probably only 50 dudes in every single country left.

mcJIL5Z.gif

yes.

Soon now, so very soon.

Sorry, I wouldn't rank Hanekawa (cat or otherwise) very high at all. Though that's more a result of the excellence of the rest of the harem than it is a slight on Hanekawa. She's still pretty cool. (I particularly like her in Kizu, fuck-you-Shaft.)

Wha!? Hanekawa is best girl, sir, and certainly at the top of the list. She's catwoman! I defy you to name something better than catwoman. Well, I mean, Tsuhiki is Phoenix, but we'll worry about that when she starts wearing the skin-tight green get up.

Doesn't work for his sisters, I'm afraid, since they both have boyfriends already.

Boyfriends we have never seen and only assume are boys based upon conversations. Maybe, like Kanbaru, other girls have just lopped their hair short and pretended to be boys because the world is too depressing without dudes or something.

Hanekawa is pretty high tier. Im possibly biased of course.

Is it called being biased if your taste is simply superior?

Or because the rest of the world isn't exactly important. Kinda like that in many cases.

Hell, maybe Araragi is just a natural born Lady Killer

No your idea is dumb and I hate it.

Monogatari SS 2

Probably the best episode ever for obvious reasons. Catwoman faced down with the tiger in this episode and Senjougahara proved that androids are probably not the kind of women you want to screen the girls who date you. It's just sort of funny that robotic Senjougahara is riding Hanekawa about being a robot and not having anything she likes or dislikes. Maybe that's half the point, though. I was a little worried when Catwoman first popped up, though, that sleep-over at Senjougahara's was the cause of Hanekawa's stress. But no, it is just the destruction of a building in which she had no room.

For reals, though, Hanekawa's plight is sad and unhealthy. No wonder she doesn't care about going to college and just wants to go see the world. Girl probably just desperately wants out of that house.

This show has really been surprisingly good. Love seeing all the machines (and their variations) that I never thought I'd see again. So much nostalgia.

Thankfully for me, Gundam Build Fighters manages to be exciting even without the nostalgia, since I have very little experience with the franchise. I imagine having nostalgia amplifies the show even more, but my previous statement feels like a testament to me that this is a good show all around. Nevermind not having to worry about people dying.

Tokyo Ravens 10

There's no doubt that Suzuka made this entire episode extremely enjoyable.

Glad to have her back and hope she continues to mess with her Darling.

Touji adding fuel to fire just makes things even better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So if I was to run the AOTY vote with the simple 'rank up to 10, first place gets 10 points, 10th gets 1' system, what is a good eligibility criteria?

I mean technically Wolf Children is a 2012 film. Also what about shows where only half a season aired in 2013 (either due to late 2012 starts or late 2013 starts)?

With the latter I'd probably argue that shows that aren't finished this year should be included in next years as they have not been seen in totality.

traditionally:

• movie eligibility is based on the year of the film's retail release, not the year of the film's theatrical release.
  • a series must either begin or conclude in the given year to be eligible.

I'm fine with series being eligible in multiple years, so long as the series is judged on the portion that aired in the voting year. Loved Battle Tendency? Fine. Thought Phantom Blood was awesome in Fall 2012 but didn't like anything after that? Not so fine. This is basically standard protocol for judging live action television series that span multiple years with contiguous plots that don't necessarily resolve cleanly between seasons, and I don't see why it can't apply to anime.

cajunator

Banned
Except School Days. Those girls were better off staying as far away from men as humanly possible.

And the school. And all public places. I'm telling you, the world was hit by a disease which killed off basically all men. There are probably only 50 dudes in every single country left.

Soon now, so very soon.

Wha!? Hanekawa is best girl, sir, and certainly at the top of the list. She's catwoman! I defy you to name something better than catwoman. Well, I mean, Tsuhiki is Phoenix, but we'll worry about that when she starts wearing the skin-tight green get up.

Boyfriends we have never seen and only assume are boys based upon conversations. Maybe, like Kanbaru, other girls have just lopped their hair short and pretended to be boys because the world is too depressing without dudes or something.

Is it called being biased if your taste is simply superior?

No your idea is dumb and I hate it.

Monogatari SS 2

Probably the best episode ever for obvious reasons. Catwoman faced down with the tiger in this episode and Senjougahara proved that androids are probably not the kind of women you want to screen the girls who date you. It's just sort of funny that robotic Senjougahara is riding Hanekawa about being a robot and not having anything she likes or dislikes. Maybe that's half the point, though. I was a little worried when Catwoman first popped up, though, that sleep-over at Senjougahara's was the cause of Hanekawa's stress. But no, it is just the destruction of a building in which she had no room.

For reals, though, Hanekawa's plight is sad and unhealthy. No wonder she doesn't care about going to college and just wants to go see the world. Girl probably just desperately wants out of that house.

I suppose my tastes could be superior. It would be nice.

Jintor

But I think she did develop. When Haruhi changed her hairstyle because Kyon mentioned the ponytail fetish, or when Haruhi stuck around when Kyon fell asleep in the club room, or the end of the movie when she slept beside Kyon's hospital bed. All "moments of weakness" for Haruhi that indicate she's more than just an "abusive and manipulative" character.

Like I said though, it's incredibly slow, and it's also damaged because Haruhi is kind of a periphery character to her own show - just because of the nature of the plot. You really don't get a lot of time in her head, so you have to kind of work by inference, and Haruhi is kind of naturally not great at showing accurately how she's really doing.

There's nothing wrong with a manipulative, abusive jerk as a character, but only for so long. Without development you're just spinning your wheels.

That's why the real star of the show , Kon had plenty of them ( character devellopement arcs ) since the very start of the show.
People think that haruhi is the star because her name is on the cover , but the real main character is KON.

KYON is the character every female ( except 2 ) in the whole universe has the lust on.
KYON is the one living advantures across time, dimension and stuff.
KYON is the one that drew that freaking alien message on the ground

Haruhi can be a jerk all she wants , for me the real focus has and will always be KYON

Soma

If whomever is doing the AOTY thread needs help with graphic stuff (banners, editing, etc.) feel free to let me know. :>

cnet128

Banned
That's why the real star of the show , Kon had plenty of them ( character devellopement arcs ) since the very start of the show.
People think that haruhi is the star because her name is on the cover , but the real main character is KON.

KON is the character every female ( except 2 ) in the whole universe has the lust on.
KON is the one living advantures across time, dimension and stuff.
KON is the one that drew that freaking alien message on the ground

Haruhi can be a jerk all she wants , for me the real focus has and will always be KON

Much as I wish Kon from Tokyo Ravens was in all the shows, I'm pretty sure you actually mean a guy called Kyon =p

Gundam Build Fighters 9

FUCKING BEARGGUY III

SD GUNDAMS ARE STILL A THING! That show I never got to watch because of bullshit school release times, nevermind shit bus driving. Or maybe I was lied to.

Jintor

KON is the character every female ( except 2 ) in the whole universe has the lust on.
KON is the one living advantures across time, dimension and stuff.
KON is the one that drew that freaking alien message on the ground

Haruhi can be a jerk all she wants , for me the real focus has and will always be KON

Nobody's disagreeing, but Haruhi's still an extremely important character in-show who sets up almost every situation so caring about her character isn't exactly an outlier or a weird thing.

It's Kyon, btw. Yare, yare.

CorvoSol

It's called CAP because all the letters are capitalized. Think outside the box, that's what your thinking cap is for.

I thought it read PAC, like cuz you know they read backwards over there, and the little kid was a fan of the PAC-however high the number has gotten now.

OceanBlue

So I'm thinking of starting Hunter X Hunter due to nintendoman's impressions and due to recommendations from a couple of people I know. I'm guessing it's fine to start with the new series even if you know nothing about Hunter X Hunter?

So I'm thinking of starting Hunter X Hunter due to nintendoman's impressions and due to recommendations from a couple of people I know. I'm guessing it's fine to start with the new series even if you know nothing about Hunter X Hunter?

Yes. It's a remake. There are most definitely some things the original series does better, but the new one has better pacing and also continues beyond where the original left off.

Nobody's disagreeing, but Haruhi's still an extremely important character in-show who sets up almost every situation so caring about her character isn't exactly an outlier or a weird thing.

It's Kyon, btw. Yare, yare.

But going back to what I said before, the "moments of weakness." Conceding the baseball tournament, being modest after filling in on guitar/vocals for the band, or going along with Kyon's desire to finish homework at the end of the Endless Eight. I think there's more than enough examples of her being a genuine person to make up for what, dressing Mikuru in skimpy outfits and making Kyon do all the club's tedious work? Its not like Haruhi is a sadist or something.

Jintor

But going back to what I said before, the "moments of weakness." Conceding the baseball tournament, being modest after filling in on guitar/vocals for the band, or going along with Kyon's desire to finish homework at the end of the Endless Eight. I think there's more than enough examples of her being a genuine person to make up for what, dressing Mikuru in skimpy outfits and making Kyon do all the club's tedious work? Its not like Haruhi is a sadist or something.

It's hard for me to say, since between the non-chronological order and the integration of second season with first season (not to mention Disappearance Haruhi being from an alternate universe) it's a bit tricky to keep track of her development. Ultimately, it's just like... as if she had about a season's worth of development in twice the time.

Yeah, there are these great moments of her being a genuine person, displaying loyalty or caringness or whatever, but there's just so little of it because she's a periphery character to the show as a whole. She's a catalyst, but she can't be part of solutions and it's difficult for her to spend time with Kyon, the viewpoint character, without it seemingly like part of his - well, his job, monitoring her. So you're kind of relegated to these little glimpses of genuineness once in a while, and for me, that's just not enough.

Gundam Build Fighters 10

Talk about debut for the Star Build Strike. I mean god fucking damn.

Is it too late to hope for another close combat match? Shit's pretty neat.

Crunchyroll is adding RUROUNI KENSHIN

That's right! Everyone's favorite Battousai is coming to Crunchyroll, in BOTH DUBBED and SUBBED versions!

The complete series will be available to Crunchyroll audiences in the following territories: North America, United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa.

We will be debuting ALL 94 EPISODES of the dub TODAY at 5pm PST for all you Premium Members, along with Episodes 1-4 of the sub!

And free trials are now for 30-days.

It's hard for me to say, since between the non-chronological order and the integration of second season with first season (not to mention Disappearance Haruhi being from an alternate universe) it's a bit tricky to keep track of her development. Ultimately, it's just like... as if she had about a season's worth of development in twice the time.

Yeah, there are these great moments of her being a genuine person, displaying loyalty or caringness or whatever, but there's just so little of it because she's a periphery character to the show as a whole. She's a catalyst, but she can't be part of solutions and it's difficult for her to spend time with Kyon, the viewpoint character, without it seemingly like part of his - well, his job, monitoring her. So you're kind of relegated to these little glimpses of genuineness once in a while, and for me, that's just not enough.

Well, to that I say:

HaruhiSuzumiya1.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova Episode 4
well I see the
better girl survived
she has the better design overall aswell, love her coat

cnet128

Banned

This is, in fact, the optimal method of enjoying Hunter x Hunter.

Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 11

Was vaguely amused when butler dude did his whole "I'm an awesome butler, but I have one flaw..." schtick, only for Loki to show up and do his "I'm humble and tolerant but there are three things I can't forgive..." schtick immediately afterwards.

Meanwhile Shouko being a bitch and generally justifying my dislike for her as a character.

Also Henri claiming that her sister is attractive and she isn't, which is vaguely ridiculous since a) they look basically identical, and b) Henri is cuter.

CorvoSol

Golden Boy, Final Lesson

"OH GOD! WHY DO I THINK THESE THINGS?"

"Life is so educational!" "You're really weird, kid, you know that?"

Lecherous tit cruncher is a new and colourful term I had never before learned before. This is so educational!

It's really funny listening to the guys in this show talk about how CG is expensive and difficult when now it is synonymous with being cheap and easy to shit out.

"THAT GOLDEN BOY IS OUR LAST HOPE!!"

"NO! THERE IS A NOTHEEEEEEEEER!!"

"He's not leaving me a virgin!" *Friend in the background shouts* "Have fun being deflowereeeeeed!"

I need air

jediyoshi

Didn't see if this got posted, more casting for The Wind Rises
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/12/16/the-wind-rises-voice-cast/3911661/

Joseph Gordon-Levitt — main character Jiro Horikoshi
Emily Blunt — love interest Nahoko Satomi
John Krasinski — Honjo, Jiro's college pal and fellow aviation engineer
Martin Short — Kurokawa, Jiro's grumpy boss
Stanley Tucci — Caproni, Italian airplane creator
Mandy Patinkin — Hattori, senior designer at Mitsubishi
William H. Macy — Satomi, Nahoko's father
Werner Herzog — the mysterious Castorp
Mae Whitman — Kayo, Jiro's younger sister, as well as Kinu, Nahoko's caretaker
Jennifer Grey — Mrs. Kurokawa
Darren Criss — Katayama, one of Jiro's engineering colleagues
Elijah Wood — Sone, another of Jiro's colleagues
Ronan Farrow — Mitsubishi employee

dat herzog

CorvoSol

So Golden Boy is done. I have to work out another 500 words on my final essay and probably feed my body, then we'll probably begin watching The Laws of Eternity tonight. Hold onto your butts, 'cuz things're about to get Happy.

Gundam Build Fighters 11

Nearly an entire episode of Gunpla Battling in the Battle Royale, jesus christ, why isn't it Next Monday yet?

Finally caught up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom