• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I should have known when the episode was in black and white and began with the words "FIFTEEN YEARS LATER" that shit was going to be heavy.

I just didn't realize we would be talking
using the planet Jupiter as a Black Hole Bomb to kill the galaxy
heavy. I didn't realize we meant
TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS LATER
heavy. Do you know how I felt when she said
"Let's put an end to this?"
I mean the entire series we've seen how
space-time travel ruins lives by displacing people
and now, at long last,
Noriko is willing to die to prevent other people from having to experience that.
I choked up, but I held out, man. I held out even as
she ripped her goddamn heart out to give humanity hope at the cost of a galaxy.
I held out even when I saw the words
TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS LATER.

Do you know what broke me? What really had me crying my heart out in the open?

"WELCOME HOME"

Yep,
Welcome Home
was what got me too, that and the fact that apparently
Jung put herself in cyro-stasis so she could be reunited with them when they returned.

If that's not fucking powerful I don't know what is. :)

Theonik

GUNBUSTER SIX

Qt35TWG.gif

I can't talk right now. Busy crying my soul out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33Rv2Z-4iI
I told you man. I told you.

Mari & Gali 11-40 END

While it appears that I wasn't watching much, I was still watching this over time, getting accustomed to all the wacky interpretations of famous scientists of old, teaching Mari the glories of science through robots, apple fetishes, a perverted old man, and other foods.

The second half of the show definitely started gearing more to teaching the lessons flat out as Mari developed her interests in science. It's not a bad thing though, considering that the show was made to do that, as well as keeping the wackiness intact with things like GIANT ROBOTS and Wacky Racers.

I do feel that Galileo tends to get shit from the cast from his antics, which is funny considering that you'd think he was responsible for naming the town Galihabara. And BISHONEN Newton was still a pleasure to see because of his Apple fetishism. Darwin was quite the character, and Archimedes certainly loves to strip in front of people. I don't really hate anyone in the show, and that's great!

Of course, being a 5 minute burst per episode generally means having a problem be resolved fast enough (except the last 3 episodes for example), and sometimes you want it to be explored more, like the Robot and the Wacky Racers episode to a lesser extent.

I was fine with the sound direction, and the general artstyle overall (SHOCKING), as well as the overall interactions with everyone involved, and I wouldn't have expected less. I think now that I've relearned the wonders of science, I need to start taking on things I fell behind at, because I certainly suck at building up resolve to finish Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
I just finished this earlier as well and don't really have much to add.

It's really funny listening to the guys in this show talk about how CG is expensive and difficult when now it is synonymous with being cheap and easy to shit out.
CG still isn't cheap. It's just fast. Which guess in a universe where animators got paid for their time would mean something. (hint they don't)

Hunter x hunter - 109

All this character devellopement , all this internal conflict for the king , all this build-up ..those monologues .

Damn if you're not pumped for ep 111 , then something is wrong ... yeah i say 111 because i don't think it will start with ep 110.

The climax of this arc is going to start soon , and it's gonna be glorious.

How can us none readers be pumped for episode 111? IF anything I fear for Killua all these comments occasionally like he will end up with some sort of bad end or something, unforgettable if that happens.

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 11

The third-years continue to be ridiculously amazing.

Also, that creepy-face guy who appears in the ED finally made his first appearance. I've been waiting for him to show up, love that character design.

Also also, hill-loving guy who appeared at the end of the episode seems like he might be a rival for Onoda.

But the best part of the episode was after the ED, when
we finally get more Love Hime footage...and it looks like Imaizumi may actually be starting to enjoy it?!

I forgot to mention how much I looooove Hunter X Hunter's OP. I'm so happy it's going to be included in that J-Stars PS3 game.

YOU CAN SMILLLLLLLLE AGAINNNNNNN.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy, Final Lesson

"OH GOD! WHY DO I THINK THESE THINGS?"

"Life is so educational!" "You're really weird, kid, you know that?"

Lecherous tit cruncher is a new and colourful term I had never before learned before. This is so educational!

It's really funny listening to the guys in this show talk about how CG is expensive and difficult when now it is synonymous with being cheap and easy to shit out.

"THAT GOLDEN BOY IS OUR LAST HOPE!!"

"NO! THERE IS A NOTHEEEEEEEEER!!"

"He's not leaving me a virgin!" *Friend in the background shouts* "Have fun being deflowereeeeeed!"

I need air

See, wasn't that a breath of fresh air?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Wondering what I should watch next regarding Gundam. I think I covered all the bases regarding UC, should I check out Turn A?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Didn't see if this got posted, more casting for The Wind Rises
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/12/16/the-wind-rises-voice-cast/3911661/

Joseph Gordon-Levitt — main character Jiro Horikoshi
Emily Blunt — love interest Nahoko Satomi
John Krasinski — Honjo, Jiro's college pal and fellow aviation engineer
Martin Short — Kurokawa, Jiro's grumpy boss
Stanley Tucci — Caproni, Italian airplane creator
Mandy Patinkin — Hattori, senior designer at Mitsubishi
William H. Macy — Satomi, Nahoko's father
Werner Herzog — the mysterious Castorp
Mae Whitman — Kayo, Jiro's younger sister, as well as Kinu, Nahoko's caretaker
Jennifer Grey — Mrs. Kurokawa
Darren Criss — Katayama, one of Jiro's engineering colleagues
Elijah Wood — Sone, another of Jiro's colleagues
Ronan Farrow — Mitsubishi employee

dat herzog

Dannnnng. Talk about star studded.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 5

Yikes, you can't end an episode like that!
The Yamato may have an impractical design, but it's worth it for an iconic moment like it sinking into the sea on Pluto there at the end.

Nafe

I would probably pay money to read your reactions to Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 0. While it's failed to "impress" everyone I've recommended it to, I feel like it would really click with you the way that it does with me.

Season 0 is a failed List candidate, technically. I laid out my justification for it being an "unquantifiable" show last year, but everyone I screened it with found it simply, unironically bad leaving me alone in my impression.

I already posted some comments about the first half of the show where I agreed with you about its silly over the top nature though. I also loved how Yami Yugi was just a big "troll" on everyone as well...

CorvoSol

Wondering what I should watch next regarding Gundam. I think I covered all the bases regarding UC, should I check out Turn A?

Duh?

well I did I watched G gundam back when it was on toonami years ago and liked it

There you go, then.

Guys, I'm not Brazilian, but as somebody who loves Brazil and its people, the Brazilian character in Laws of Eternity offends me deeply. Specifically that he wears his national colors and still cannot properly pronounce Churrascaria. WTH.

Ezalc

So Golden Boy is done. I have to work out another 500 words on my final essay and probably feed my body, then we'll probably begin watching The Laws of Eternity tonight. Hold onto your butts, 'cuz things're about to get Happy.

Corvo, you've watched Last Exile right? If you haven't I think it's something you'd enjoy.

There you go, then.

Guys, I'm not Brazilian, but as somebody who loves Brazil and its people, the Brazilian character in Laws of Eternity offends me deeply. Specifically that he wears his national colors and still cannot properly pronounce Churrascaria. WTH.

It's like you summon me every time you start a discussion on Brazil or G Gundam. You need to stop this.

cnet128

Banned
but departure! -second version-

Just a different part of the same song. Doesn't count.

Tokyo Ravens 11

Best. Episode. Ever.

I want to wake up in the morning with a Kon next to me. Where can I get one. WHERE.

Hell, if I had a Kon, this episode's "problem" wouldn't even be a thing because I would always keep her materialised constantly no matter how much energy it took out of me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Tokyo Ravens 11

Best. Episode. Ever.

I want to wake up in the morning with a Kon next to me. Where can I get one. WHERE.

Hell, if I had a Kon, this episode's "problem" wouldn't even be a thing because I would always keep her materialised constantly no matter how much energy it took out of me.

*brofist* I want a cuddle-able kon

Gundam Build fighters - 11
That battle royale is like, the best way to show every serious fighter in the show and goddam they did ..

The stuff with felini was hilarous and the perfect escuse to raise the odds without being too much a problem.
It was masterfully done.

This episode had also masterfull Aila X Reiji moments:
1387186927839.gif

What is this smell , lol
Anyway , this character is really superb

The forshadowing with the president of PPSE and reiji is also a good thing
, i really don't know if they will manage to ed this with only 25 episodes but kudos if they manage.. as long as the animation stay so much awesome i'll have no regrets.

Magnificent episode. Next episode look even more awesome , can't wait.
That thai guy means business i like that all the "characters" aren't push-overs , this garantee Awesome moments.

Another Great episode

It's a good thing you love it, because it will never change. Ever.

Well fortunately for you, you'll be hearing it A LOT, even when it isn't even close to being appropriate.

Hum you say that now , but will you still say that with more episodes ? i'm not so sure.

Fine with me. So its basically like what Gurren Lagann did with its opening.

Hunter X Hunter - 23

We've got DBZ-styled training
and evil Mama Robocop

This show has everything.

CorvoSol

Corvo, you've watched Last Exile right? If you haven't I think it's something you'd enjoy.

It's like you summon me every time you start a discussion on Brazil or G Gundam. You need to stop this.

I haven't yet. And you come because it is your duty as my sworn blood brother.

Youve got a very good point. Im sure there have been a couple exceptions.

But 90% of the time Cat girl wins.

K. If I can recall correctly, there's a cute girl in it named Loran right? Hype incoming.

Yeah. Laura Rola. Totally cute. Totally a girl.

Rurouni Kenshin Episode 1 (engDUB)
Bbuub_bIEAE1avJ.jpg

The dubbed op song sounds pretty atrocious, expected better but otherwise I guess its a decent start. Kenshin makes the funniest faces all the time and has good personality, while at this point in time, he carries the show far. The other characters are kind of forgettable so hopefully more join up fast, preview character looks incredibly so am hyped to continue this.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rurouni Kenshin Episode 1 (engDUB)
Bbuub_bIEAE1avJ.jpg

The dubbed op song sounds pretty atrocious, expected better but otherwise I guess its a decent start. Kenshin makes the funniest faces all the time and has good personality, while at this point in time, he carries the show far. The other characters are kind of forgettable so hopefully more join up fast, preview character looks incredibly so am hyped to continue this.

the dub OP is actually pretty close to the japanese OP to the point that I wonder if it was the same singer doing it in english

Non Non Biyori 1

I guess I still regret not starting this sooner, because the show is rather laid-back, and thus doesn't really feel suitable to rush through what I've missed. Since the show will be finished a week from now, I think watching two episodes a day will be a sufficient pace for it.

That being said, I do like how this feels rather laid back, even if I'm watching this after two shows that were rather hype. Renge is just adorable, and I like the segment of denial over the fact that they live in the country. I feel like the one dude that exists will be a butt of the joke every now and again.

Onward to episode 2!

Quasar

Tokyo Ravens 11 - Damn Kon is adorable. Definitely prefer episodes like this that are just Magic School hijinx, rather than world plot episodes.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 11

Take note, all you twisted shows that are airing episodes set in midsummer even though it's December. This is how you do a glorious seasonally appropriate episode.

Though it is making me sad there's no snow where I am. Screw you, weather.

zeroshiki

God damn it. This is the Takemoto anime isn't it? God damn it.

Its not guaranteed to be a KyoAni production. I mean, they passed on the Lucky Star thing before so its plausible they pass on this weird spinoff. With the direction KyoAni is going right now and their LN forays seemingly successful, they might not want to work on this. Plus it looks pretty shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom