• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Just a different part of the same song. Doesn't count.

Tokyo Ravens 11

Best. Episode. Ever.

I want to wake up in the morning with a Kon next to me. Where can I get one. WHERE.

Hell, if I had a Kon, this episode's "problem" wouldn't even be a thing because I would always keep her materialised constantly no matter how much energy it took out of me.

I too want a Kon to squee at and hug.

Gundam Build fighters - 11
That battle royale is like, the best way to show every serious fighter in the show and goddam they did ..

The stuff with felini was hilarous and the perfect escuse to raise the odds without being too much a problem.
It was masterfully done.

This episode had also masterfull Aila X Reiji moments:

The forshadowing with the president of PPSE and reiji is also a good thing
, i really don't know if they will manage to ed this with only 25 episodes but kudos if they manage.. as long as the animation stay so much awesome i'll have no regrets.

Magnificent episode. Next episode look even more awesome , can't wait.
That thai guy means business i like that all the "characters" aren't push-overs , this garantee Awesome moments.

Another Great episode

Aila seems to be the reason to watch. Is she there early on?

Non Non Biyori 11

tumblr_mxwuk7PzLq1sq9yswo1_500.gif

Another great episode. I will miss this show when it's over.

You aint kidding. Non non biyori is my feel good happy squee show of the season and possibly year.

I haven't yet. And you come because it is your duty as my sworn blood brother.

But 90% of the time Cat girl wins.

Yeah. Laura Rola. Totally cute. Totally a girl.

Id say closer to 95%.

Yes, really.

Originally, Tomino wanted Loran to be a girl, but Sunrise was like "Uh, brah, we can't have a girl be the main character in a Gundam show." So Loran is the result.

Please note that after the 20 episode mark it becomes increasingly less reasonable to pretend that Loran is a girl.

YO DAMN. I like.

Nafe

For what it's worth I also found what I saw of S0 mildly amusing. Though I still purged it from the list as was desired.

Ok, so a few of us thought it was kind of fun at least.

I remember you liking it, but to my knowledge you're not really into "List" culture so I didn't want to misconstrue your impressions as an endorsement that it belongs there!

Ah, okay. It seemed like you might have been talking just in general there. I haven't really seen very many of "the list" shows so I can't really comment if it belongs there or not. I definitely recommend the english dub of Garzey's Wing though. Lots of laughs with that one.

Speaking of the list, I have seen Code Geass and are you watching Valvrave? I can't remember who all is watching it since it's quite a few people here. Since Code Geass is on the list I was wondering if Valvrave would be added or maybe not as it's not quite as crazy as CG. Unless it just goes totally nuts in the last couple episodes or something.

I do remember Nafe writing impressions for The Mystical Laws. That's on the List.

With Hitokage and madp mentioning the Happy Science movies often enough, I was kind of curious to take a look at at least one of them and chose the most recent one. It started out not really THAT interesting to me but then about half way through I think it was, it just gets really silly that it was pretty fun to laugh at.

Garzey's Wing and The Mystical Laws dub are hard not to like.

Mystical Laws was kind of silly and weird but personally I think Garzey's Wing is much more entertaining.

CorvoSol

1. Kanbaru
2. Black Hanekawa
3. Shinobu
4. Mayoi - Senjougahara tie
5. Regular boring Hanekawa
6. Karen Araragi
Garbage dumpster. Nadeko

1. Cat Hanekawa
2. Regular Hanekawa
3. Senjougahara when she has emotions
4. Kanbaru Suruga
5. Robot Senjougahara

Everybody else is a little kid or Araragi's sister. If we're throwing his sisters onto the list

6. Tsuhiki Araragi
7. Sengoku Nadeko
8. Karen Araragi

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
1. Kanbaru
2. Black Hanekawa
3. Shinobu
5. Regular Hanekawa
6. Karen Araragi
Garbage dump. Nadeko

Kanbaru as #1? My man.

YOU SHOULD STILL WATCH IT.

Haha!

======================================================

Turn A Gundam - 01

While the pacing was really fast, it was still pretty interesting to watch. Loran totally looks like a girl and should've been one! - 3 -

Looks like the girl with the short brown hair wants him bad too. :lol

@Nafe: Have you watched the 2002 Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs? I remember you making impressions of the 1998 ones shortly after mine and I wanted to know what you thought of them.

1. Cat Hanekawa
2. Regular Hanekawa
3. Senjougahara when she has emotions
4. Kanbaru Suruga
5. Robot Senjougahara

Everybody else is a little kid or Araragi's sister. If we're throwing his sisters onto the list

6. Tsuhiki Araragi
7. Sengoku Nadeko
8. Karen Araragi

Any list without shinobu is a fail list to me.
Especially if she isn't in the top 3

Nafe

@Nafe: Have you watched the 2002 Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVAs? I remember you making impressions of the 1998 ones shortly after mine and I wanted to know what you thought of them.

Ah, yes I have actually.
I saw your post a little earlier when catching up with the thread and I was looking at getting some comments of my own posted soon. I'll have to get back to you on more detailed comments but I can definitely tell you that I quite liked them. :)

CorvoSol

Haha!

======================================================

Turn A Gundam - 01

While the pacing was really fast, it was still pretty interesting to watch. Loran totally looks like a girl and should've been one! - 3 -

Looks like the girl with the short brown hair wants him bad too. :lol

Oh, Sochie. Sochie is great. Her sister Kihel is where it is at for me, though.

She's 8

1a. Kaiki
1. Senjou
2. Shinobu
3. Cat Hanekawa
4. Mayoi
5. Kanbaru
6. Nadeko
7. Hanekawa
8. Toothbrush sister
9. Other sister
10. Yotsugi

Ah, yes I have actually.
I saw your post a little earlier when catching up with the thread and I was looking at getting some comments of my own posted soon. I'll have to get back to you on more detailed comments but I can definitely tell you that I quite liked them. :)

Coolio, if you had noticed I really enjoyed my watch as well. Looking forward to your impression!

Gazoinks

And Yet The Town Moves #Whatever-12 END

HRGH.
Of all the things I expected from this show, I did not expect it to get really sad at the ending. I mean seriously! The whole afterlife sequence was really sad! No one said there would be feels! ;_;

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable show. Funny and a charming cast of characters. And great music. Mm, that opening and ending. I wish it was longer! I would've been good for another 12 episodes of wacky slice of life hijinks.

And it wasn't even a slideshow.

Are you ignoring the end of nisemonogatari on purpose to justify this unfounded claim ?

She is NOT 8.

Oshino_shinobu.gif

She is a poor donut loving maiden.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you're stuck with that notion or the fact that you have this false notion because kizumonogatari wasn't adapted by Shaft ?

cajunator

Banned
Have you seen any High School DxD? Koneko loses out to Akeno, maybe Xenovia too.

Koneko da best

This is true. Case in point:
nFq7fxY.jpg

Kanna also da best.

Unbreakable machine doll - 09
Is this wrong of me to look forward to Comiket UMD doujins ?

Is it really wrong ?

Yaya doujins? Hmmmm. Ok.

1. Kanbaru
2. Black Hanekawa
3. Shinobu
5. Regular Hanekawa
6. Karen Araragi
Garbage dump. Nadeko

1. Senjou
2. Hanekawa
3. Shinobu
4. Kanbaru
5. Nadeko
6. Mayoi
7. Tsukihi
8. Karen

CorvoSol

Does Shinobu get aged up? Does she like magically age up and become an important character in SS? Because based off her in Nise and Neko I really don't see what the big deal is at all. At least Kanbaru I get the appeal, but fucking Shinobu?

cnet128

Banned

Hmm, I guess by that standard, the list I posted back in one of the summer threads:

Mayoi >>>>>>> Karen > Tsukihi ≥ Kanbaru ≥ Shinobu = Nadeko > Senjougahara > Hanekawa

All the girls are good, but Mayoi is just on a whole different level of perfection.

...is just borderline passable if you interpret the ≥ signs in her favour to put her in equal third.

The fact that there are so many ≥ and = signs speaks volumes to how difficult I find it to make lists for this show, though. So many quality girls that it's difficult to choose between. I think if I was making the list today, I'd maybe shift Tsukihi a bit further down, but honestly that's more thanks to lack of screentime than anything.

Maybe I should just put them into tiers instead. Mayoi is GOD TIER, everyone from Karen through Nadeko are Amazing Tier, and Senjou+Hanekawa are Classy Tier.

Joe Molotov

For what it is worth, after seeing undeniable proof that Loran is a boy in the first episode, you are perfectly free to pretend that Loran is a girl for the next 20 or so episodes. The show WILL indulge you on that if you so choose

So, like Ana Gram from Phi Brain?

CorvoSol

Are you ignoring the end of nisemonogatari on purpose to justify this unfounded claim ?

She is NOT 8.

Oshino_shinobu.gif

How is it unfounded when Araragi himself mentions that she has the body of an 8 year old in both shows? Unless the age up at the end of Nise was permanent, she has the body of an 8 year old. Araragi says as much. In two separate shows. It isn't unfounded if it has a foundation IN THE SHOW.

I never saw Phi Brain

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 9

"Do robots have souls?" is a question that's been asked innumerable times in science fiction, but when it's explored in such a strong way as this episode it's still great to see that old story. It helped that the visual direction was a notch above the already solid standard of the show, with some notably creative cinematography and layouts. The Observer #9 story had a particularly beautiful style.

In general, I've been pretty pleased with the writing so far; the episodes are well-structured and there's been some really nice scene transitions carried by the writing. Izubuchi is certainly firing on all cylinders here. Of course, I should give credit to the writer for this particular episode, Sadayuki Murai (Boogiepop Phantom, Kino's Journey, Millennium Actress), one of the more interesting anime writers that I've found. Murai did an excellent job fleshing out Alter's character - making a robot, and an enemy robot at that, sympathetic is no easy task - and integrating the Observer #9 story into the narrative framework as parallel commentary.

I don't think corvo watches phi brain.

Hmm, I guess by that standard, the list I posted back in one of the summer threads:

...is just borderline passable if you interpret the ≥ signs in her favour to put her in equal third.

The fact that there are so many ≥ and = signs speaks volumes to how difficult I find it to make lists for this show, though. So many quality girls that it's difficult to choose between. I think if I was making the list today, I'd maybe shift Tsukihi a bit further down, but honestly that's more thanks to lack of screentime than anything.
Well i'd put tsukihi a bit down and hanekawa up.

But yeah hard to choose .. It's one of those cases were the entire cast is too good.

How is it unfounded when Araragi himself mentions that she has the body of an 8 year old in both shows? Unless the age up at the end of Nise was permanent, she has the body of an 8 year old. Araragi says as much. In two separate shows. It isn't unfounded if it has a foundation IN THE SHOW.

As i said above , you have a mistaken notion about the character mainly because you're missing a piece of the puzzle. ( Kizumonogatari ).

First you're stuck on the body of the character , when the character is more than her body.
Second said body change appearance almost at will ( didn't you see that in Nisemonogatari ? ) making her point of having a 8 year old body pointless in itself... a giant case of putting appearance before facts .
Third , argh damn that is monogatari SS spoilers , ask me when you've reached ep 20 of this season.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I never saw Phi Brain

you said she's 8, not that she has the body of a 8 year old, she is probably the most mature person in the show

CorvoSol

As i said above , you have a mistaken notion about the character mainly because you're missing a piece of the puzzle. ( Kizumonogatari ).

First you're stuck on the body of the character , when the character is more than her body.
Second said body change appearance almost at will ( didn't you see that in Nisemonogatari ? ) making her point of having a 8 year old body pointless in itself... a giant case of putting appearance before facts .
Third , argh damn that is monogatari SS spoilers , ask me when you've reached ep 20 of this season.

Oshino says that being in an 8 year old's body has made her mind become more childish, too, though, so her personality is effected by her body. Second, I established a long time ago that regardless of the character's age, her body is what I find troubling, or rather, the fact that she's introduced in a lengthy bath scene in an 8 year old's body. Regardless of the character's age that was still an extended nude scene featuring the body of an 8 year old, and I refuse to budge on my stance that that sort of thing is wrong.

Lastly, I don't dislike Shinobu as a character, but the sexualization of her as a child is wrong, and I'm not moving from that stance.

I will take your word for it that SS somehow alleviates these complaints, though.

And Yet The Town Moves #Whatever-12 END

HRGH.
Of all the things I expected from this show, I did not expect it to get really sad at the ending. I mean seriously! The whole afterlife sequence was really sad! No one said there would be feels! ;_;

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable show. Funny and a charming cast of characters. And great music. Mm, that opening and ending. I wish it was longer! I would've been good for another 12 episodes of wacky slice of life hijinks.

As much as I'd welcome another season of this, as long as it was of the same quality of course, I don't see how they could top episode 12's ending. The way the anime repositioned the story and expanded upon the scene you allude to was a masterful stroke of adaptation that perfectly encapsulated this story of one lively neighborhood and the girl at the heart of it all.

Anyway, if you want to spend more time with these characters, there's always the manga.

And it wasn't even a slideshow.

Yeah, it's definitely Shaft's most animated show.

cajunator

Banned

She is NOT 8.

Oshino_shinobu.gif

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you're stuck with that notion or the fact that you have this false notion because kizumonogatari wasn't adapted by Shaft ?

She is precious. Thats certainly true. Would hug.

Oshino says that being in an 8 year old's body has made her mind become more childish, too, though, so her personality is effected by her body. Second, I established a long time ago that regardless of the character's age, her body is what I find troubling, or rather, the fact that she's introduced in a lengthy bath scene in an 8 year old's body. Regardless of the character's age that was still an extended nude scene featuring the body of an 8 year old, and I refuse to budge on my stance that that sort of thing is wrong.

Lastly, I don't dislike Shinobu as a character, but the sexualization of her as a child is wrong, and I'm not moving from that stance.

I will take your word for it that SS somehow alleviates these complaints, though.

Is it gaf that is acting up ? you've managed to quote my post under another poster name.
Oshino was putting a theory back then , it was later revealed discredited as shinobu acting up and not talking because she was angry at oshino & araragi
Also since that moment ( when she needed to drink araragi blood ) her body did grow a little . technically she is not in a 8 year old body!! :p

Again yes the bath scene is wrong. That is a nice argument , but nobody is talking about that , we're talking about the character itself , not the bath scene. This is again a case where you're so fixed on one aspect that you're ignoring the rest..we're not talking about the bath scene here.

For example , does the lenghty talk ( again nisemonogatari , ( the episode were my gifs above were taken ) lead to any sexualisation ? Does she get sexualised in nekomonogatari ( kuro ) ? no.( not that i recall ).

People have said it , araragi has no problem interracting with certain types of characters.. mayoi in that aspect is no different than shinobu and i don't think i've seen you complaining about mayoi

Gazoinks

As much as I'd welcome another season of this, as long as it was of the same quality of course, I don't see how they could top episode 12's ending. The way the anime repositioned the story and expanded upon the scene you allude to was a masterful stroke of adaptation that perfectly encapsulated this story of one lively neighborhood and the girl at the heart of it all.

Anyway, if you want to spend more time with these characters, there's always the manga.

Yeah, it's definitely Shaft's most animated show.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the ending was really well done, I'm just sad it's over so soon. It was probably the best possible way they could've ended the show, and especially impressive considering the chapter they adapted wasn't even the ending of the manga.

Either way, I'll definitely check out the manga soon.

CorvoSol

Is it gaf that is acting up ? you've managed to quote my post under another poster name.
Oshino was putting a theory back then , it was later revealed discredited as shinobu acting up and not talking because she was angry at oshino & araragi
Also since that moment ( when she needed to drink araragi blood ) her body did grow a little . technically she is not in a 8 year old body!! :p

Again yes the bath scene is wrong. That is a nice argument , but nobody is talking about that , we're talking about the character itself , not the bath scene. This is again a case where you're so fixed on one aspect that you're ignoring the rest..we're not talking about the bath scene here.

For example , does the lenghty talk ( again nisemonogatari , ( the episode were my gifs above were taken ) lead to any sexualisation ? Does she get sexualised in nekomonogatari ( kuro ) ? no.( not that i recall ).

People have said it , araragi has no problem interracting with certain types of characters.. mayoi in that aspect is no different than shinobu and i don't think i've seen you complaining about mayoi

It's definitely GAF. That's some weird stuff there.

Anyway, my line between Mayoi and Shinobu is the same as the one I drew between Karen and Tsuhiki. When Araragi is doing "perverse" things with Mayoi or Tsuhiki it's played for comedic effect. Basically, it's a joke so I don't take it seriously. With Karen and Shinobu, though, that air of comedy is not present, so I'm left to look at it as if it was meant to be serious or fan service or whatever.

I have to disagree that Shinobu's bath scene wasn't sexualized. It may not have lead to sex, but there was sexualization going on in that scene. Shinobu thrusts her butt out at Araragi at one point and teases him about looking at the body of one so young. That stuff is going down.

I'm not *stuck* on that scene in any sense other than the consideration of Shinobu as a member of Araragi's harem. You'll note that while I don't complain about Mayoi, I also don't ever include her in discussions of Araragi's harem because again, Mayoi is a little girl.

If you're right and Shinobu stays aged up, great, I'll welcome her in with the same welcome I gave grown up Rydia in FF4. I'll never drop that the bath scene is creepy, but I'll include Shinobu in harem discussion.

In the meantime, she can be a bazillion years old but as long as she has the same body as Hachikuji, she is gonna eat at the kid's table with Hachikuji.

Well most people lose to Akeno.

Yet she is #3

i guess she failed to get #2 because she was afraid but this injustice will never be corrected.
-------------------------

Unbreakable machine doll - 10

"Oh no you're evil , who are you really ?"

Charlotte , maybe , maybe , you should have looked into this a little bit earlier ?

Anyway this episode was almost lacking in yaya.

I have to disagree that Shinobu's bath scene wasn't sexualized. It may not have lead to sex, but there was sexualization going on in that scene. Shinobu thrusts her butt out at Araragi at one point and teases him about looking at the body of one so young. That stuff is going down.

Nobody is saying that.

It was sexualised.
Everyone is just talking about the character , not the bath scene.
Can you read what i'm writing ?

Ps: i'm not syaing that shinobu stay aged , she does change her appearance depending on the circumstances that's all.( that's part of her character )

CorvoSol

Nobody is saying that.

It was sexualised.
Everyone is just talking about the character , not the bath scene.
Can you read what i'm writing ?

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but the only lengthy talking Shinobu does in Nise is that bath scene. Her only other scenes are giving Araragi the sword in Neko, getting the the donuts during Phoenix, and teasing Araragi from within his shadow during his fight with Karen. Since none of those really come across as lengthy, I just assumed we were referring to the scene she did talk at length in.

Although I would argue she was sexualized during the Karen fight, too. Not to the same extent, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom