• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the misunderstanding, but the only lengthy talking Shinobu does in Nise is that bath scene. Her only other scenes are giving Araragi the sword in Neko, getting the the donuts during Phoenix, and teasing Araragi from within his shadow during his fight with Karen. Since none of those really come across as lengthy, I just assumed we were referring to the scene she did talk at length in.

Although I would argue she was sexualized during the Karen fight, too. Not to the same extent, though.

It is trully a shame you haven't read kizumonogatari .

Damn you shaft !

A lot of things would greatly change perspective if you did. And some things in the kuromonogatari ( shiro ) arc would get a whole new layer of meaning

Syrinx

I think the queen in Futari wa Pretty Cure is still the worst CG I've seen. Ending of The Rebirth of Buddha gave it a good run for its money, though.

CorvoSol

You should have watched enough anime to be completely desensitized to it at this point.

Isn't it enough that anime has desensitized me to incest? Over the course of several threads I've gone from dropping Rah Xephon for hinting at it to laughing like a mad man all the way through the tooth brushing.

I think the queen in Futari wa Pretty Cure is still the worst CG I've seen. Ending of The Rebirth of Buddha gave it a good run for its money, though.

The Queen was such an abomination that Toei felt the need to create Hikari/Shiny Luminous to salvage her.

Aikatsu! 4

Well at least we're not kicking Ichigo while she's down! Her actions has inspired a boy in track to stop being a failure, and as a result, both Ichigo and Aoi transmit the taste of Octoballs through the power of song and dance. Followed with intense hugging.

Quasar

I apologize profusely for being hard wired to find the sexualization of prepubescent children abhorrent. How completely foolish of me.

It is interesting. I mean for me its young appearing characters other than Shinobu where its bothersome for me. With Shinbu I know she's an ancient who just appears young, and so I'm not bothered. Plus shes in an higher power role in relation to Araragi.

zeroshiki

Isn't it enough that anime has desensitized me to incest? Over the course of several threads I've gone from dropping Rah Xephon for hinting at it to laughing like a mad man all the way through the tooth brushing.

That's step 1. Next thing you know, you'll be looking forward to the next Hosoda movie for the nekomimi.

CorvoSol

The Laws of Eternity

My thoughts as I watched the movie.

Above is a link I hope works. It contains my thoughts as I went along so you can read through that and get your chuckles. I will repeat a few things here, though, whether for your amusement or mine.

First of all, while there are a few values and beliefs in this film I dare to admit that I commend, there are other elements I am not entirely a huge fan of. Foremost among these is Roberto. He's a really crappy example of Brazilians in anime. At least I assume he's meant to be Brazilian, since he loves Churrasco (in spite of being incapable of saying Churrascaria) and he basically wears the Brazilian national flag.

That said, the main "problem" I have with this entire film is that it's just Dante's Divine Comedy set in modern time and espousing a different set of values. Dante used his trip through Heaven and Hell to make all manner of political points, which is what made it a classic to Italians back then. What he was saying was relevant, and happened to be couched in an entertaining little trip through Hell, Purgatory and Heaven. Here we have a sugar coated version of Dante's Comedy. Where Dante pulled none of his punches and instead wrote all about how there were Popes in Hell, in The Laws of Eternity every last thing is sugar coated. In a way this is typical of modern story-telling, where fear of offending the audience and turning them off from your message or product is the ruling power.

I mean sure, seeing Hitler command a demon elephant is worth a laugh or two, but really it isn't anything worth writing about because the entire scenario is lifted wholesale from Dante. Dude wants to know about life, finds himself on a spiritual trip through the afterlife with a spirit guide, people he thought sucked are in Hell for various reasons, people he thought were awesome went to Heaven, and in the end he gets the girl of his dreams.

The entire film I wavered back and forth on my opinion of Yuko's relationship with Ryuta, or lack thereof. In truth, she really doesn't have much in the way of romantic interaction with him, and being completely negative on the subject, she seems forced into his arms by the fact that before they were born and before the world was it was decided they would be married, and she has been forced to marry him again and again throughout history. On a positive side, it's a romantic thought: that you were in love with someone before the foundation of the world, and that you promised to find and love each other in life and into eternity. A romance which could've worked if Yuko and Ryuta had shown an real romantic spark.

Being completely honest, though, Yuko is just Beatrice. When Ryuta, Dante, arrives in the spirit world he is first lead by a lesser soul: Vergil/God Eagle. After a certain distance Vergil is not permitted to go any further and a greater soul, Statius/Edison takes over his tutelage. Ultimately, though, before Dante can reach the presence of God, a holy woman must lead him: Beatrice/Yuko. Dante loved Beatrice, even though she was not his wife, so she landed the love interest role in his Comedy. Yuko, I suppose, is Ryuho's idealized woman, too.

For perhaps the first time in my entire life I found myself most aligned with the atheist character in an anime. Much of what Patrick said was the most reasonable stuff in the beginning, and I'm a sucker for the story of a guy who finds faith. Dumping him and Roberto off to the side to make room for a romance that never happened, though, sort of whomped.

I could go on, but basically I stopped being able to politely take this movie seriously the moment the woman said "I'm Helen Keller".

Unbreakable machine doll - 11

This episode marked the return of CG that was so obvious it almost destroyed the scene in question !

So our bad guy is a true bad guy , the kind that love sceheming and see people suffering because of it ..... why not ?

As for charlotte , again she is not the kind of girl that think long enough even if this time her stubborness was acceptable.

Raishin is a really stupid guy for someone out for a revenge.

NOt enough yaya for this episode , this need to be corrected ASAP

Dead

well not really...yet
So the Macross Frontier movies are getting re-released in Japan in a boxset with English Subtitles

Werent these supposed to be better than the TV series or am I remembering things wrong?

CorvoSol

I'm saying it's ultimately not that big of a deal. Nisio especially loves doing shit like this.

This is why even though in terms of raw fury I relate most to the fat kid in the upcoming picture, I often consider myself the new kid to the Anime Club:
rmAteev.png

Some day I will appreciate Smegma Princess. Some day.

cajunator

Banned
Unbreakable machine doll - 11

This episode marked the return of CG that was so obvious it almost destroyed the scene in question !

So our bad guy is a true bad guy , the kind that love sceheming and see people suffering because of it ..... why not ?

As for charlotte , again she is not the kind of girl that think long enough even if this time her stubborness was acceptable.

Raishin is a really stupid guy for someone out for a revenge.

NOt enough yaya for this episode , this need to be corrected ASAP

No amount of Yaya is ever enough.

zeroshiki

Saying someone is a 1000 year old vampire doesn't excuse showing them in a bath tub (or rubbing suntan lotion on their body) while they're in the body of a little girl. I'm sorry, that's splitting hairs to a level Roman Polanski defenders would be proud of.

CorvoSol

Saying someone is a 1000 year old vampire doesn't excuse showing them in a bath tub (or rubbing suntan lotion on their body) while they're in the body of a little girl. I'm sorry, that's splitting hairs to a level Roman Polanski defenders would be proud of.

It certainly did not help Nowi in Fire Emblem Awakening.

wonzo

Banned
"let me tell you about ephebophilia"
/​
goonthink.png

zeroshiki

In the realm of whatever news, TM Revolution apparently responded on twitter to a crazed Mizuki Nana fan who made a joke about his mother (no, seriously. The guy said "Your mom thinks you're married to Mizuki Nana www") by saying that he was deeply offended and people shouldn't be involving his family in gossip.

The thing got retweeted 2000 times, got on the news and the "fan" got his life turned into a living hell by the otaku who started digging through the dude's life and making fun of him.

zeroshiki

The otaku have a choice this New Year's Eve. Either watch the Kouhaku Singing Contest like a normal functioning member of society or watch Sword f'in Art Online.

Quasar

The otaku have a choice this New Year's Eve. Either watch the Kouhaku Singing Contest like a normal functioning member of society or watch Sword f'in Art Online.

I'll probably just cruise by animeGAF on NYD and laugh at all the animeGAF rage.

Will probably watch it at some point as I'm curious to see how they are handling the new setting. Of course a bunch of screen caps would work just as good there.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova Episode 5
haruno is best girl, and im not hating this subplot, also they changed the ending already? im certainly not complaining because this ending has a better song and the visuals are more pleasing to the eye.

sonicmj1

You know, I thought AnimeGAF would be the one place here where people wouldn't assume someone enjoyed the sexualization of little girls just because they watch anime.

You know, I thought AnimeGAF would be the one place here where people wouldn't assume someone enjoyed the sexualization of little girls just because they watch anime.

I wouldn't say enjoy, just merely desensitized. Granted, apparently I'm not desensitized to incest either in anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom