• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Coppelion Episode 12:

To quote a popular meme here on the GAF, this train does not stop. Anyway, we are finally at the climax of this operation. Sacrifices have been made, blood poured and sweat toiled so that salvation is finally at hand. It is nice to see Aoi continuing to be marginally useful and getting some focus on the otherwise horrifically underutilized Taeko. After a slight breakdown of heroic proportions and some developments along the periphery the endgame is in sight but there are still dangers that haunt our heroes. I think I have come to sort of like the filterization that Go Hands has been using in these recent times, the greyscale of things really held sell the desolation of the central area and it is rather nicely contrasted with the return of said colors midway through the episode.

Coppelion - 09

This now obvious we have qiutted the realm of realistic and the author decided to go for the flashy instead of the "dull"

Poor pregnant woman , she had 2 trips for nothing , 2 crashes and a pursuit abord a tank...and now we have this fantastic evil wind that is on every human .

This is not going to end well.

Oh aoi finally got out of her room ... ABOUT TIME !

cajunator

Banned
whats this avatar from.

Whats your avatar from?

CorvoSol

Seeing this when I was scanning for anything new made me slam my hands on the ground and made me do what I had to do out of disbelief.

I didn't even SEE the topic on Gaming Side. I was watching the Rosalina reveal trailer and then I see Hyrule Warriors and I'd been reading about Hyrule Total War and figured it was fan game somebody had trussed up to look legit.

My body was not ready.

I am so down for that game, though. Not just because it's a full-scale war in Hyrule or because I've always wanted to play me some Musou because of Gundam.

Because they gave Link a scarf.

Midonin

Beyond the Boundary
Blood and Glasses

Ever since KyoAni switched to anime based on their own light novels, I've enjoyed Chuunibyou (Maaya Uchida forever!) and found Tamako Market to be a pleasant watch. Having never seen it, my opinion on Free! is nothing. But for this series, with everyone hyping it up as a "game-changer" and "serious action", I wondered if I even should watch it or not. But it has cute girls, so I did anyway.

I still think it's a departure for KyoAni. It has cute moments, but the underlying nature of this series - filled with lots of cold, empty landscapes and behind the scenes backstabbing - gives it a different atmosphere. All of their works have a different atmosphere from each other. It was a bit uneven in parts, but I believe that even a messy experiment can still be worth watching. It depends on how much the flaws can be accepted, and compared to some of the stuff I was watching on TV alongside it, the characters and world still felt very much alive.

Sure, things got a little weird towards the end, but it concluded in a satisfactory way. I liked Mirai as a character - someone who was feared and became timid because of it, but also had a strong sense of conviction, and Mitsuki was also fun to watch. The thing that I'll likely end up remembering the most from this series is the idol episode. A good one-off can show a series at its best, and this one did a good job of that. (When is that song going to be released?) The first and second halves of the series flowed into each other well enough.

Of course, the animation looked beautiful. The landscapes and the cities were well defined, and KyoAni's talent at making characters move in small and unique ways was used to good effect. The twisted mindscape of the Hollow Shadow and the overly lit atmosphere of the Mexican restaurant (that's unique), all of them are beautifully drawn.

The pacing of the story was a little loopy at points, and the story itself isn't going to stand out - though the idea of monster hunting just being a job is an appealing turn - but the characters were likable, and for me, that's all that matters in a series. Character is king.

The opening and ending were both nice, and the character songs have a pleasing musicality to them. And all those trains.

Final Thoughts: As far as KyoAni series go (the new KyoAni), it's third place behind the tie that is Tamako and Chuunibyou, but I found it nice to see KyoAni branching out and expanding their brand. Their touch is present no matter what the genre. And that idol episode was just a lot of fun to watch. So my final rating would be "interesting".

Coppelion - 10

I don't know what to think ... this show remain mildly entertaining , and now we've really quit any sense of logic and reality...

I freaking don't understand WHAT DOES the 1st division want ? Where did that giant robo come from ? If you can build a thing like that , what the hell are you still doing in this place ?

What the hell was that flying jump ?

Should i stop taking ( or trying to ) take this show seriously ?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Coppelion - 10

I don't know what to think ... this show remain mildly entertaining , and now we've really quit any sense of logic and reality...

I freaking don't understand WHAT DOES the 1st division want ? Where did that giant robo come from ? If you can build a thing like that , what the hell are you still doing in this place ?

Should i stop taking ( or trying to ) take thsi show seriously ?

The First Division wants to create a second event that will engulf the entire world and eliminate humanity as a measure of revenge against the Government that abandoned them.

The First Division wants to create a second event that will engulf the entire world and eliminate humanity as a measure of revenge against the Government that abandoned them.

Yeah but they are wasting their ressources on nothing .I understand revenge, but this feels like a wasted opportunity.

I remember the same problem in gundam age and in that anime i understood the powers in place , in G Age , they wanted to move from a place were they had no opportunity to grow toward a place free of their problems.

In coppellion , they are an organised army that have been active for what ? more than a decade ? And your objective is total world destruction ? for what purpose ? by Default human strive for survival , i have a hard time believing that a trained group of individuals want nothing but destruction..revenge doesn't explain everything.

There is a giant contrast between the 1st division and the guilty electric guy that has remorse yet still wants his daughter to live in a world free of wearing the masks.

And don't get me started on the 1st division army methods..your entire plan relies on ? the co-operation of your ennemy ? Those coppellion are highly volatile material and behavior and shouldn't be trusted ..it's been shown COUNTLESS times that the 2 "sisters" cannot be ordered around , why bank everything on that ?
You could argue that they aren't since tehy aretrying to capture other coppleio but this is shoddy planning at best.

And just how did they gather this amount of toxic waste, put in ONE PLACE ( really ? ) without being killed while doing so , and worse with all the amno they had , they are unable to detonate a bomb remotely ?
They have a freaking giant robo! what is preventing you from building a tinnier robo to blow up the place ?

And i can get start on hours because coppelion has more plot holes than the cheese i ate yesterday.

It's an intresting anime , but damn if i don't need to stop thinking while watching it..

I didn't even SEE the topic on Gaming Side. I was watching the Rosalina reveal trailer and then I see Hyrule Warriors and I'd been reading about Hyrule Total War and figured it was fan game somebody had trussed up to look legit.

My body was not ready.

I am so down for that game, though. Not just because it's a full-scale war in Hyrule or because I've always wanted to play me some Musou because of Gundam.

I thought it was a joke. Now I can expect more whining about Zelda's combat, the thing that didn't need to be fixed over other things!

cajunator

Banned
I thought it was a joke. Now I can expect more whining about Zelda's combat, the thing that didn't need to be fixed over other things!

I liked the motion+ direction it was going but I always have found the combat to be pretty fun. Particularly with the crazy magic weapons provided.

My body was not ready.

Seeing that game makes me regret not picking up Dynasty Warriors 6 Elite on PS3 during the Playstation Plus sale cause this new Zelda game looks really fun.

I liked the motion+ direction it was going but I always have found the combat to be pretty fun. Particularly with the crazy magic weapons provided.

Well it's more like for me, that "hey, there's these glaring problems that people actually talk about, which impacts the quality! No wait, nevermind, lets pay attention to combat, for the people who aren't actually looking at what the real problem is with modern Zelda".

Shergal

More projects with Nobutake Ito as character designer/chief animation director? I agree.

Heh, some layouts and even some color choices in that trailer are very Yuasa-ish. Ito is not as crazy so I believe it can work really well spicing up an apparently more grounded story. And he has cool buddies who can show up, the previous trailer already had a shot that looked like it could be Ohira/Hashimoto.

CorvoSol

Coppelion - 10

Should i stop taking ( or trying to ) take this show seriously ?

It's okay, I think the show nosedived in quality the moment they introduced the Ozu Sisters.

If you can hear it over the insane whining about how this game somehow damages Zelda as a brand.

Seeing that game makes me regret not picking up Dynasty Warriors 6 Elite on PS3 during the Playstation Plus sale cause this new Zelda game looks really fun.

Game looks so fun I'm tempted to pick up Gundam Musou

Well it's more like for me, that "hey, there's these glaring problems that people actually talk about, which impacts the quality! No wait, nevermind, lets pay attention to combat, for the people who aren't actually looking at what the real problem is with modern Zelda".

Like how Skyworld was boring and empty and a waste of people's time. Skyward Sword needed more lower world and less boring Skyworld.

cajunator

Banned
It's okay, I think the show nosedived in quality the moment they introduced the Ozu Sisters.

If you can hear it over the insane whining about how this game somehow damages Zelda as a brand.

Game looks so fun I'm tempted to pick up Gundam Musou

Like how Skyworld was boring and empty and a waste of people's time. Skyward Sword needed more lower world and less boring Skyworld.

I dunno. Twilight Princess had that on-rails shooter game spinoff and that didnt hurt anything.

Musou? Zelda fans whine about anything. It's not like Nintendo is making it anyway, and Zelda is probably damaged already in a post TP world on top of taking 2-3 breaks, otherwise being a yearly franchise.

"A waste of people's time" is something Zelda should avoid period.

White Album 2 - 01

Decided to catch up on this season's shows. Watched the first WA, and I didn't despise it which is always a good sign.

I was actually very impressed with this first episode. They have a male character who isn't a Yuji Everylead the Bland - he actually has a skill! And he isn't an OP, born genius, hot bitches come over here because I'm the main character either. He is constantly shown working hard towards his goals like a normal human does. No childhood friend who desperately wants the D either! Does have the "school idol" though, which is a bit of a shame but the main character can talk to her like she's a human and doesn't seem to have made her instantly fall in love with him (yet). It's somewhat hard to believe this is a high school romance, but I can't fight the feeling that it's all downhill from here.

Ok anime-gaf, I has a weird request. I've been getting my gf into anime recently, but it's difficult because she won't watch it in Japanese, only english dubs. But she's looking for a good anime that's got a lot of sexually risque elements. Right now the best option I've got is High School of the Dead, which is perfect but I'm trying to find something that won't just have fanservice for me, but also for her. Any thoughts?

Ok anime-gaf, I has a weird request. I've been getting my gf into anime recently, but it's difficult because she won't watch it in Japanese, only english dubs. But she's looking for a good anime that's got a lot of sexually risque elements. Right now the best option I've got is High School of the Dead, which is perfect but I'm trying to find something that won't just have fanservice for me, but also for her. Any thoughts?

Uhhhh

Love Hina?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Kill la Kill when it eventually gets dubbed.

The Qwaser of Stigmata

mhs004

When the third Berserk movie get's dubbed make her watch that. She will love it.

Non Non Biyori 5

The return of height complexes and straight trolling! Think it's starting to wind down and have more (whole) group focus episodes

CorvoSol

I dunno. Twilight Princess had that on-rails shooter game spinoff and that didnt hurt anything.

These are the same people who think Skyward Sword was a terrible video game.

Musou? Zelda fans whine about anything. It's not like Nintendo is making it anyway, and Zelda is probably damaged already in a post TP world on top of taking 2-3 breaks, otherwise being a yearly franchise.

"A waste of people's time" is something Zelda should avoid period.

I feel like Zelda isn't damaged at all. I feel like Zelda fans just whine about anything. Like yeah, Skyward Sword had some issues, but I still love that game to bits. Link Between Worlds is goddamn stellar and it JUST came out but now Nintendo announces some crazy new thing and it's all "NOOOOOO END OF TIMES ZELDA IS DOOMED WHAT ABOUT THE ART!?"

XzzlkDl.jpg

Welcome to the team.

You guys are scaring me with this recommendation, here.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Needless, maybe? Massively buff guys alongside the usual male-targeted fanservice. It's very hard to find ecchi anime that serve both male and female interests equally well.

Needless, maybe? Massively buff guys alongside the usual male-targeted fanservice. It's very hard to find ecchi anime that serve both male and female interests equally well.

Yeah, I tried watching that myself last year and I couldn't keep going. Just didn't like a single one of the characters.

I feel like Zelda isn't damaged at all. I feel like Zelda fans just whine about anything. Like yeah, Skyward Sword had some issues, but I still love that game to bits. Link Between Worlds is goddamn stellar and it JUST came out but now Nintendo announces some crazy new thing and it's all "NOOOOOO END OF TIMES ZELDA IS DOOMED WHAT ABOUT THE ART!?"

I too find ALBW stellar, and it actually bothers me.

Caladrius

It bothers you that the game is good?

I think Kirb means that Zelda Warriors bugs him.

I personally don't care about it one way or the other. If it were a mainline title I would be furious, but as it is it's just there for me and I find the reaction overblown.

Also I am making a commitment to finish 2 of the series I got recced and putting impressions here. I got a PS3 and I've been eating at the bunch of games I got for it.

CorvoSol

I personally don't care about it one way or the other. If it were a mainline title I would be furious, but as it is it's just there for me and I find the reaction overblown.

Also I am making a commitment to finish 2 of the series I got recced and putting impressions here. I got a PS3 and I've been eating at the bunch of games I got for it.

Ah. Well I mean I figured it was clear that it wasn't a mainline Zelda, but Nintendo's been doing all kinds of nifty cross overs lately. Mario and Sonic, Pokemon and Nobunaga, Fire Emblem and SMT. Zelda and Dynasty Warriors looks like it'll be fun. I don't even care whether it falls into the timeline or not for once, because it just looks fun.

It bothers you that the game is good?

It bothers me that a game that's debatably safe in more regards than say, TP and SS is the better game, because it makes me think What the hell happened to Zelda to make me really appreciate the game.

Zelda Warriors made me skip out on checking for news to do my responsibilities. Other than that, it really doesn't bug me in the slightest. It just caught me off guard because I never expected it. It's not like it'll mess with the timeline or anything, I don't see why people are bitching over it. But then again, that's what general Zelda fans do best.

Ah. Well I mean I figured it was clear that it wasn't a mainline Zelda, but Nintendo's been doing all kinds of nifty cross overs lately. Mario and Sonic, Pokemon and Nobunaga, Fire Emblem and SMT. Zelda and Dynasty Warriors looks like it'll be fun. I don't even care whether it falls into the timeline or not for once, because it just looks fun.

In a sense, I hope it's actually more like Nintendo Warriors, if only because I want to finally use Kirby in a more badass way.

CorvoSol

It bothers me that a game that's debatably safe in more regards than say, TP and SS is the better game, because it makes me think What the hell happened to Zelda to make me really appreciate the game.

Zelda Warriors made me skip out on checking for news to do my responsibilities. Other than that, it really doesn't bug me in the slightest. It just caught me off guard because I never expected it. It's not like it'll mess with the timeline or anything, I don't see why people are bitching over it. But then again, that's what general Zelda fans do best.

In a sense, I hope it's actually more like Nintendo Warriors, if only because I want to finally use Kirby in a more badass way.

I really feel like the lower world sections of Skyward Sword are the best 3D Zelda has ever offered from a gameplay standpoint. Wind Waker and Majora are my favorites, and Ocarina is classic, but I really do think that if the whole of Skyward Sword had been as tight-knit and well polished as those three realms, it would've been my favorite Zelda ever.

I really feel like the lower world sections of Skyward Sword are the best 3D Zelda has ever offered from a gameplay standpoint. Wind Waker and Majora are my favorites, and Ocarina is classic, but I really do think that if the whole of Skyward Sword had been as tight-knit and well polished as those three realms, it would've been my favorite Zelda ever.

Being tightly packed in general (that doesn't waste time) would be fucking great.

Non Non Biyori 6

Yep, more group antics. Hotaru's obsession could be considered creepy at this point.

Non Non Biyori 7

lol that smirk on the rabbit.

That's some Bugs Bunny BS right there.

And wow, the brother is incredibly talented.

Haven't seen someone make a clay figure that good since Issei made a nude Rias.

Such a shame his sister had to go and ruin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom