• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It's a "fill-in-the" blank style of card game like Apples to Apples, but the phrases on the cards tend to say very horrible things and relies on black humor. It's great if you have the right group of friends for it.

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com

Their christmas campaign this year was called "Twelve Days of Holiday Bullshit". You gave them $12, and they would send you twelve gifts. So far, besides the Blu-Ray, I've gotten 3 small expansions for their game, a new card game they're releasing, a set of posters based on some of their cards and a small lump of coal. They've got some pretty funny videos on the site they've put up as they've gone along as well.

http://www.holidaybullshit.com

During the campaign, the last part had you submit the best and worst things you did this year and one thing you wanted for Christmas. I honestly don't know if the Blu-Ray is supposed to be part of the twelve, or if they just chose to give a few of us a special gift just to make our holiday. Checking on twitter, I haven't even seen anyone else mention getting something personalized and cool from them, so so far I'm actually not really sure how this happened, haha.

Ah I see. Well thats a neat promo!

No worries, we can just distract him with Gundam Wing stuff should there be any questions.

My man! I didn't think the ending was bad though, unexpected but it wasn't bad. Also IMMELMANN TUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

Dio is the best thing about Last Exile.

PJtzH2P.jpg
bpJwf4N.jpg

White Album 2 7

Really enjoyed the two songs for the festival. Guessing the last one won't be heard until the end of the season.

Big round of applause for Setsuna though.

penguins+clapping.gif

She actually took the initiative to win her man.

Course this is only episode 7, so something is obviously going to go wrong.

Copellion - 11

Man this 1st division guy is such an hypocrite.
Again , if everything is true ( i don't doubt it is ), WHy WHy did you wait so long ?

As for hikikomori aoi newfound powers, i can only say "lol"

Andrew J.

Ok anime-gaf, I has a weird request. I've been getting my gf into anime recently, but it's difficult because she won't watch it in Japanese, only english dubs. But she's looking for a good anime that's got a lot of sexually risque elements. Right now the best option I've got is High School of the Dead, which is perfect but I'm trying to find something that won't just have fanservice for me, but also for her. Any thoughts?

Star Driver has something for everyone.

Coppellion - 12
So we're near the finale ...

Sacrifices have been made, tragic fates have been met and It's sad that the story went this way, by choosing action over "plot" i hardly have time to trully enjoy plenty of thing and i have the hardest time to take this plot seriously.

The ozu sisters aren't bad characters ..it's just that their characterisation has beenbadly done IMO

Well at least it has been entertaining enouhg that i'm still watching .. A good point for this anime i guess.

Beyond The Boundary: Episode 12 - Gray World

Thats it? Well like much of the action before it felt pretty lifeless and just all over the place with repetitive moves. And unfortunately after seeing Hiromi earlier this week made it even more disappointing that he wasnt nekkid with just the scarf here. Oh well.

Alright anime overall, Free! and Hyouka are still their best anime and this would fall slightly under Haruhi is it. Probably wont be getting this from Sentai, but I guess Ill look into getting stuff with Hiromi and Akkey on it.

cnet128

Banned
BlazBlue Alter Memory 11

You know, this adaptation could have been kind of cool if it had the budget to actually animate decent action scenes. Since it didn't, though, I feel like I'm basically watching an audio drama. It would arguably be improved if I just closed my eyes and pretended the half-assed visuals didn't exist at all.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 1

The CG is pretty bad, yeah. But if madp is to be trusted, it gets better as the series progresses.

I actually like the idea of having transformation sequences in an idol show.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 21

Dammit. Just. I knew it was coming. Everyone knew it was coming, but dammit all. This is what happens when your strapping young heroes are fighting each other. This shit right here. Nevermind the amazing parallels in this episode between it and the Ray and Charles Arc in E7
namely that the hero meets an older man of great standing who happens to be an enemy and that war causes the man to die, which drives the man's wife to make a suicide attack on the ship, ending in terrible death all around
. Nevermind that stuff, because nobody is going to remember it. What you will always remember is that
Ryu gave his life so that Zeon could be stopped and White Base saved. Ryu Jose is a hero, a genuine, bonafide hero.

cnet128

Banned
Coppelion 12

lol @
the glorious return of Giant Spider Robot
at the end. Because why the hell not.

Oh, and gotta have those
shocking childbirth complications for added DRAMA. Inbefore it's actually twins.

Two anime episodes watched this evening, two protagonists given new strength by the metaphorical ghosts of recently-departed comrades. Go figure.

Saint Seiya Omega 83
Bb0WDnBIEAEzkcw.jpg

This felt like an episode to show on fathers day or something, due to the composition of the fighting and the words given but at least it had one of the best non Subaru moments in awhile. Powerup that shoots the cloth off even as well.

I also wish to know who was the voice of Rhea. Sounded so familiar but I just cant figure out where Ive heard it before.

sonicmj1

To raise the silly topic of the AOTY thread again, why don't we just use the same system as the GOTY thread?

For reference, the scoring on the GOTY thread works as follows:
Ballot Scoring
1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point

Seems simple enough, and I like not having to sweat too much about the difference between certain spots on the list.

To raise the silly topic of the AOTY thread again, why don't we just use the same system as the GOTY thread?

For reference, the scoring on the GOTY thread works as follows:

Seems simple enough, and I like not having to sweat too much about the difference between certain spots on the list.

I dont understand why its done that way, that seems like one might as well just have done a Best 4 list instead of a best 10 one.

And my Precure Bro in Training is on the last episode of Smile before getting ready to start Doremi. Fuck yes.

Although he's apparently bawling on the finale...

Mononoke

Banned
Just saw From Up On Poppy Hill and Whispers of the Heart. Really enjoyed both! I was surprised by how much I loved From Up On Poppy Hill. It was a very simple story, but was also very warm/nostalgic and just a really pleasant little movie. The soundtrack was also amazing. My only gripe was that the story felt a bit too condensed. I kind of wish there was more build up to the relationship, so when Umi tells
Shun that she loves him, the words would have had more impact. I felt like they had just barely met. But whatever, the movie got the emotion/feelings right, so that's what counts. I also felt the war/adoption plot needed a bit more room to breathe.

I actually kind of liked that one more than Whispers of the Heart. I know that's not a popular opinion. But I just found the story of that one to be a bit harder to swallow. I didn't particularly care for how this girl needed to prove to herself she was good enough for this guy. I'm not making a comment on sexism or anything. Just from a story point of view I found it weird. And then the ending just rubbed me the wrong way
(him asking if they could see themselves getting married, then yelling I LOVE YOU).
Lol this is not to say that I didn't like it. Because I did. It was a fantastic little film, and I appreciate these Ghibili films being just about life (rather than being fantasy).

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I really enjoyed both of these films, but From Up On Poppy Hill really hit the spot for me.

NOW...I move on to the more serious stuff like Millennium Actress and Grave of Fireflies. I will eventually hit the rest of the Ghibili films. I only have like 5 or so more to watch before I've seen them all. But going to focus more on the recommendations you guys gave me.

EDIT: Okay, I admit that I too harsh on Whisper of the Heart. You guys are right, it wasn't just about the Girl trying to prove herself worth of the guy. It was about her own ambitions and aspirations in life (and being inspired). But it still kind of rubbed me the wrong way with how the plot played out in relationship with the guy. I dunno.

cajunator

Banned
Just saw From Up On Poppy Hill and Whispers of the Heart. Really enjoyed both! I was surprised by how much I loved From Up On Poppy Hill. It was a very simple story, but was also very warm/nostalgic and just a really pleasant little movie. The soundtrack was also amazing. My only gripe was that the story felt a bit too condensed. I kind of wish there was more build up to the relationship, so when Umi tells
Shun that she loves him, the words would have had more impact. I felt like they had just barely met. But whatever, the movie got the emotion/feelings right, so that's what counts. I also felt the war/adoption plot needed a bit more room to breathe.

I actually kind of liked that one more than Whispers of the Heart. I know that's not a popular opinion. But I just found the story of that one to be a bit harder to swallow. I didn't particularly care for how this girl needed to prove to herself she was good enough for this guy. I'm not making a comment on sexism or anything. Just from a story point of view I found it weird. And then the ending just rubbed me the wrong way
(him asking if they could see themselves getting married, then yelling I LOVE YOU).
Lol this is not to say that I didn't like it. Because I did. It was a fantastic little film, and I appreciate these Ghibili films being just about life (rather than being fantasy).

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I really enjoyed both of these films, but From Up On Poppy Hill really hit the spot for me.

NOW...I move on to the more serious stuff like Millennium Actress and Grave of Fireflies. I will eventually hit the rest of the Ghibili films. I only have like 5 or so more to watch before I've seen them all. But going to focus more on the recommendations you guys gave me.

Millennium Actress is a treat.

I actually kind of liked that one more than Whispers of the Heart. I know that's not a popular opinion. But I just found the story of that one to be a bit harder to swallow. I didn't particularly care for how this girl needed to prove to herself she was good enough for this guy.

It wasn't as simple as that; she was also trying to prove to herself that she had talent - that, as she looked ahead towards her future, there was some goal she could pursue. Seiji impressed her because of the clear future he had planned for himself, and she felt inferior because she didn't have anything like that.

And then the ending just rubbed me the wrong way

It's a nice way to sum up how far Shizuku has come, both in her relationship with Seiji and in her personal resolve. She now has a future to look forward to.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Mrs. Araragi isn't Best Girl, no sir. She is Finest Woman. Girl had one scene and so much body the screen couldn't contain it all at once. You know your mom is hot when your #2 squeeze is doing Araragi angles on her.

I might just agree

zeroshiki

I actually think that it is that lack of rushedness, that need to jam unnecessary plot points is what separates something that is legitimately great like Whispers of the Heart to something that is just good that is Poppy Hill.

Mononoke

Banned
Eh, guess I'll just be in the minority here. I just personally enjoyed From Up On Poppy Hill More. But I agree that there is deeper themes going on with Whisper of the Heart that I'm not entirely giving the movie credit for. Just things about it rubbed me the wrong way. I probably should watch it again, as I watched it before studying for Exams. Whereas I watched Up From Poppy Hill after my last day of class. So maybe the environment with which I watched both effected it.

Oh well. Either way, I ended up really liking both films. *shrugs*

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 2

I thought like ten students got accepted. Why is the school giving Ichigo and Aoi the special treatment?

And what was that idol girl just doing hanging out there in the gazebo, acting like she was expecting Ichigo to get out of bed and walk around outside? Either way, harsh lessons and all that. But I guess getting accepted at Starlight Academy is a good way to start for both of them.

Non Non Biyori 8

Komari just can't win in the maturity contest. She pretty much became the butt of the joke for the show because of her age:height ratio.

I guess we have more of Hotaru being into Komari info at least.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Caught up on Kill la Kill.

So basically it's anime x western adult swim x animaniacs x fan service x DBZ battles.

Overall I'm loving it but with the whole concept of escalation eventually they are going to be two dieties facing off in the end. Glorious to watch though n

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu! 1

The CG is pretty bad, yeah. But if madp is to be trusted, it gets better as the series progresses.

I actually like the idea of having transformation sequences in an idol show.

wait whoa what brought this on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom