• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 21

And then shit got crazy real. Doctor Hell is PISSED and the next five episodes he's gonna make that bid for world domination and you better believe there's gonna be fireworks. Meanwhile, Kouji Kabuto has literally turned his mecha into the Hand of God. Did I mention this show is amazing and awesome and I love it to bits?

Getter Robo 21

Something went wrong with the subs on this (and it appears the next few) episodes, so you get to hear what I assume happened instead of what happened! So America builds a giant robot named TEXAS MACK and it is piloted by a good old guy named TEXAS JACK and his 100% American Imouto. TEXAS JACK is a bit of a jerk who won't get off of Musashi's TEXAS BACK. The Dinosaurs are amazed by the existence of America and deploy their greatest Mechasaurus yet: TUXEDO BLACK. TUXEDO BLACK, who is a giant Brontotyranosaurus in a monkey suit, fights the Getter Robo, which fails to stop him and then TEXAS MACK piloted by TEXAS JACK employs its greatest finishing move the TEXAS SMACK which knocks out TUXEDO BLACK with a TEXAS THWACK. At one point in the episode TEXAS JACK flies on a TEXAS JET PACK and a jealous Musashi tries to copy him, only to burn his TEXAS BUTT CRACK. After taking a lot of TEXAS FLAK from TEXAS JACK, Musashi gains his respect by saving his life and defeating TUXEDO BLACK. The episode ends with American Imouto giving Musashi a kiss and him having a TEXAS HEART ATTACK before he can feel her fine TEXAS RACK. The last thing we hear is the TEXAS LAUGH TRACK.

CorvoSol

Lol didn't know of Texas Mack's heritage.

Also GuP DVDs spotted at walmart

TEXAS MACK's pilot TEXAS JACK's father TEXAS BRAK had a duck named TEXAS QUACK who stepped on a TEXAS TACK while he was trying to run TEXAS TRACK and wound up having to see a TEXAS HACK.

CorvoSol

SDF Macross 21

Hey there's a war going on, we're all trapped aboard a ship as refugees from the United Earth government, said ship accidentally nuked an entire city of innocent people, aliens are constantly attacking and people are dying like all the freaking time, but Minmay
s
Kaifun's movie is done so yaaaaaaaaaay!

I mean, I know Hikaru is dealing with the enormous survivor's guilt after seeing one of his men die and having the man he saw as his older brother die just like, days before, and all that just after he wound up a horrible wreck in the hospital himself, but idol culture is so haaaaaaaaaard.

Wow they put Kaifun in front of a microphone and he somehow managed to not insult the people who keep him alive every day. Miracles really DO happen. He still managed to make himself the hero of Minmay's movie, though, which is fucking retarded.

"Hey did you hear? Kaifun and Minmay are dating!"
"Aren't they cousins?"
"They're dating!"
"Isn't he a legal adult and she's a minor?"
"They're dating!"
"I thought her boyfriend was a pilot, like the song?"
"Dating!"

Honestly I don't know that the author intends Kaifun and Minmay to be sympathetic at this point. Minmay is likely meant to be a scathing example of all that is vapid and stupid about idol culture and Kaifun represents how fucking terrible pacifist characters often are in anime. It's a better interpretation than the opposite.

KAIFUN MADE MINMAY SING A SONG ABOUT HOW HE IS THE MESSIAH.

FUCK IT ALL

FUCK
IT
ALL

COUSINCEST GIVES ALIENS BONERS AND THAT ENDS THE WAR. I CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP. THIS IS HAPPENING. RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. MINMAY MUST FUCK KAIFUN TO SAVE THE EARTH.

Hattori

Banned
Non Non Biyori 11
NxmIWqf.jpg

Yes, Please!
This show deserves to get as many seasons as it can dammit!

Joe Molotov

SDF Macross 21

Hey there's a war going on, we're all trapped aboard a ship as refugees from the United Earth government, said ship accidentally nuked an entire city of innocent people, aliens are constantly attacking and people are dying like all the freaking time, but Minmay
s
Kaifun's movie is done so yaaaaaaaaaay!

I mean, I know Hikaru is dealing with the enormous survivor's guilt after seeing one of his men die and having the man he saw as his older brother die just like, days before, and all that just after he wound up a horrible wreck in the hospital himself, but idol culture is so haaaaaaaaaard.

Wow they put Kaifun in front of a microphone and he somehow managed to not insult the people who keep him alive every day. Miracles really DO happen. He still managed to make himself the hero of Minmay's movie, though, which is fucking retarded.

"Hey did you hear? Kaifun and Minmay are dating!"
"Aren't they cousins?"
"They're dating!"
"Isn't he a legal adult and she's a minor?"
"They're dating!"
"I thought her boyfriend was a pilot, like the song?"
"Dating!"

Honestly I don't know that the author intends Kaifun and Minmay to be sympathetic at this point. Minmay is likely meant to be a scathing example of all that is vapid and stupid about idol culture and Kaifun represents how fucking terrible pacifist characters often are in anime. It's a better interpretation than the opposite.

KAIFUN MADE MINMAY SING A SONG ABOUT HOW HE IS THE MESSIAH.

FUCK IT ALL

FUCK
IT
ALL

COUSINCEST GIVES ALIENS BONERS AND THAT ENDS THE WAR. I CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP. THIS IS HAPPENING. RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. MINMAY MUST FUCK KAIFUN TO SAVE THE EARTH.

I watched Robotech so my pure, young, American eyes were shielded from this Japanese filth.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SDF Macross 21

Was idol culture even a thing in 1982?

Also yeah Kaifun and Minmay are both god awful. They deserve each other.

CorvoSol

I watched Robotech so my pure, young, American eyes were shielded from this Japanese filth.

Is Kaifun not her cousin in the American version?

Was idol culture even a thing in 1982?

Also yeah Kaifun and Minmay are both god awful. They deserve each other.

They so do. Also I think idols were just starting to take off back then? I dunno. I was told that Minmay was meant to be an idol character, but all I'm getting out of her is that she's the worst Lacus Clyne ever.

On the plus side,
Hikaru and Misa held hands! WOOOOO!

Wanna be the Strongest in the World! ep 6
(AKA - NO MORE BOSTON CRABS!)

LMAO, this is too much!.

I mean DAMN ... she got bashed up a ton before things started to change. First win after
9 + months of getting 65 beat downs!

CorvoSol

I don't relate to the recent impressions with Kaifun/Minmay hate because my eyes were usually glazed over thinking about Misa during their scenes.

In fairness Misa is why I haven't dumped this show or declared it awful. Misa Hayase is a much better written and developed character. Well, in fairness it isn't that Minmay doesn't get character development, its that her character development is all for the worse.

<3 Misa, though.

I'm just messing with you, I honestly barely remember anything about the show. ;)

I am curious as to how they handled it in the American version, though, cuz it would've been localized at about the same time that the Sailor Moon dub decided to make lesbians into cousins, backfiring and making things shift from "offensive to moral guardians" to "NOOOOOOOOOO"

Midonin

Mawaru Penguindrum
March of the Symbolism

The more time I spend in anime fandom, the more I realize that there's still quite a lot I don't know. Though my reasons for watching this now are the same as SoreMachi - left unfinished due to fansubs years ago - the way I approach it couldn't be more different. I've never seen Utena (though I plan to someday), and while I'm familiar with Ikuhara's oddities to some extent, I wonder how I should approach an arthouse series like this. Do I know enough to get the subtext? Do I have to get the subtext?

Japan's art in anime has never quite had the divide that Western art can. High and low elements intermingle together all the time. This is why we can have a series with heavy symbolism like this, that also involves cute animal mascots who get involved in all sorts of slapstick, including one extended fart joke. While the text itself invites me to interpret it according to Night on the Galactic Railroad, my familiarity with that is limited to "reading the Wikipedia entry". So I'll just have to give it my all.

There's obviously a lot of sea creature symbolism going on here. Most obviously the penguins, with Esmeralda being a slightly different penguin. Yuri was compared to an orca, and Taubki was a bird, which is like a penguin, but does not involve the sea creature element. Trios and duos of all sorts were present, overlapping and conflating with each other. Facades were put up and people weren't who they claimed to be. "Fate" and "punishment" were echoed countless times.

If I had to interpret the theme of the series as a whole, it's about
Shouma and Kanba trying to find a way to get retribution, with the penguins being envoys of Momoka to do so. I don't know why Himari + hat acted different from either Himari or Momoka, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because Momoka really wanted to get their asses in gear? She was forceful about doing the right thing in the preview. If the Penguindrum was half an apple from the past, a heart that was at least half in love, and Ringo had it, maybe it was never the diary, but Shoma finding someone outside his family he could care for, since they were insistent about living together for the first part of the series.

The motif of trains and destiny is a lot easier to make. Those who believe in destiny can run only along one track, as is those who believe that destiny has only one choice. Momoka's use of "transferring" also adds to that, rather clearly. I'm not sure what the Marunouchi Line could represent, but it does have enough stops to line up with the episodes in the series nicely. It's also rather old. There is no stop 95 on it, though. Since the series aired in 2011, and the incident happens 16 years ago, then 95 would be the "train of destiny" as the past, the point where everything began.

Bears are also a major point. The white bear Himari arrives in doesn't show up until the very end, as a "pure" version of the bombs, looking much cuddlier. And I'm sure the thing about the Survival Strategy sequence resembling the evolution of life itself has been noted before, though does that mean that Momoka/the Princess is something even more primal? If reincarnation is a theme in this series, is Momoka herself the reincarnation of something even more basic? A (rather sarcastic) goddess of love?

The talk of the "apple" and "love" at the start of the series does support what happened in the finale. There's also Yuri
being damaged by someone else's hands, and Tabuki having his hands damaged. Maybe that's why they can be together.
And I have no idea, arts wise, why ARB was chosen as the band of choice for this series' music. Maybe Ikuhara just liked them. I'm sure that's what he'd say if asked too.

It's clear that a lot of the characters were being manipulated by hallucinations at points, and the theme of "real" and "fake families" is there. I'm really just throwing theories at the wall and hoping I can land on at least one of them. The pacing was fine, and the mysteries were given answers soon enough, the OP was haunting and the first ED, while nice musically, needed to have its lyrics not drown out as much.

Final Thoughts: Maybe people should look at themes as much as artistry when talking about anime. Plot wise and character wise, it's a finely put together series, but thinking about what it's trying to say is so much more interesting. Did I hit the mark? I have no idea, but it'll linger with me for some time. Though I probably want something a little less heavy for my next backlog series.

cajunator

Banned
These are the same people who think Skyward Sword was a terrible video game.

I feel like Zelda isn't damaged at all. I feel like Zelda fans just whine about anything. Like yeah, Skyward Sword had some issues, but I still love that game to bits. Link Between Worlds is goddamn stellar and it JUST came out but now Nintendo announces some crazy new thing and it's all "NOOOOOO END OF TIMES ZELDA IS DOOMED WHAT ABOUT THE ART!?"

You guys are scaring me with this recommendation, here.

Skyward Sword was very flawed but extremely charming for a Zelda title. The only thing I actually hate about it is tadtones.

Heh. For me it pretty much comes down to anyone with a good 'ara ara' always being best girl.

This is a good determinant.

you can't even recognize mikan from TLRD anymore?

;_;

not in that tiny avatar no.

I really feel like the lower world sections of Skyward Sword are the best 3D Zelda has ever offered from a gameplay standpoint. Wind Waker and Majora are my favorites, and Ocarina is classic, but I really do think that if the whole of Skyward Sword had been as tight-knit and well polished as those three realms, it would've been my favorite Zelda ever.

Hmmm. I agree actually. Especially dungeonwise SS was TOPS. Incredibly fun game at times.

Non Non Biyori 11

It really really does.

Bombless

Wanna be the Strongest in the World! ep 6
(AKA - NO MORE BOSTON CRABS!)

LMAO, this is too much!.

I mean DAMN ... she got bashed up a ton before things started to change. First win after
9 + months of getting 65 beat downs!

This show would be good if half of every damn episode didn't feature Sakura just moaning at the top of her lungs and saying "Itai, Itai, Itai, ITAAAAAIIII"

Mature

In fairness Misa is why I haven't dumped this show or declared it awful. Misa Hayase is a much better written and developed character. Well, in fairness it isn't that Minmay doesn't get character development, its that her character development is all for the worse.

<3 Misa, though.
Huh? =/ All this Macross disrespect. I think the show is great on it's own merits— not even considering how much pioneering it did for anime and the space opera genre.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well he's right. Misa is one of the best Macross girls ever. Probably my favorite with Sheryl right behind her at #2.

Minmay and Ranka are 1 and 2 for being the worst Macross girls.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 11

An easy way to tell that this is a modern remake is that it's making a great point of providing nuance to the conflict between Earth vs. Gamilas. One side isn't pure righteous while the other side is pure evil; there's good and bad people on both sides and good and bad decisions made on both sides. This only becomes more apparent the more we see of the Gamilans and especially
learning the true nature of the outbreak of hostilities
. It's this delicate blend of classic sci-fi with enhanced character development that makes this show so successful.

CorvoSol

Huh? =/ All this Macross disrespect. I think the show is great on it's own merits— not even considering how much pioneering it did for anime and the space opera genre.

I have nothing but respect for the first 15 episodes of this show. The fact of the matter is, though, that the introduction of Kaifun and the decision to play Hikaru's relationship with Minmay for maximum angst has seriously weakened the show's second half, which is a damn shame, because when it isn't in a quagmire of awful induced by the Lynn family, its still a very good show. The continuing theme of failure and defeat and fatalism for the Macross is great, with its
failing to let the civilians off and actually destroying a city in the process, the deaths of Focker and Vegeta, and the revelation that the Zentradi have the human race massively outgunned
, and the idea that culture is as effective a weapon as any in a war is one I applaud whole heartedly.

But god DAMN Kaifun and Minmay are the albatross around this show's neck.

Psycho Pass is Funimations next premium releases (march 11, 2014) ($160->$119))

SPECIAL FEATURES
Exclusive Limited Edition Chipboard Art Box
2 PSYCHO-PASS Soundtrack CDs
Criminal Investigation Division Logo Decal
Criminal Investigation Division ID Holder
Official Public Safety Bureau/Criminal Investigation Division ID Holder
Actor Commentaries
PSYCHO-PASS at Sakura-Con Parts 1 & 2
Textless Songs
U.S. Trailer
Trailers

CorvoSol

You have no idea. (well, if Jarmel is talking of what I think he's talking about).

It's gonna be Captain Brittai, isn't it. He'll form a secondary love triangle where he competes for Kaifun's affections with Minmay. He'll be all, "Kaifun-sama~, do you think I'm kawaii uguu~?"

Quasar

Sorted out my AOTY vote due to running a similar vote with a smaller newer anime community. Of which Psycho-pass has streaked to the lead. guess I ought to try that out one day.

rpmurphy

Non Non Biyori 11

AOTSAS, definitely. I still don't care much for Hotaru, but all the other characters in the show and the depictions of the countryside settings have been wonderful.

My final arrival of this year:
REywVCKl.jpg

Contents

Very glad to get this in BD and also not fucked up as GuP was.

yami4ct

Just randomly got this in the mail.

Honestly, didn't know where the hell it came from at first. A complete, unexpected surprise. Looked at the packing slip billing and turns out, it's from the Cards Against Humanity people. When they asked me what I wanted for Christmas during their whole Holiday Bullshit campaign, that's what I put down. I honestly never expected them to go and buy it for me. Holy crap. All I did for them was give them $12 for the campaign. Honestly, one of the nicest things someone's done for me. So cool.

Non Non Biyori 7

Fucking smart ass rabbit and over the top rabbit excitement. And playing with the Candy Store.

Think I can't really say much more other than it was enjoyable.

Honestly, didn't know where the hell it came from at first. A complete, unexpected surprise. Looked at the packing slip billing and turns out, it's from the Cards Against Humanity people. When they asked me what I wanted for Christmas during their whole Holiday Bullshit campaign, that's what I put down. I honestly never expected them to go and buy it for me. Holy crap. All I did for them was give them $12 for the campaign. Honestly, one of the nicest things someone's done for me. So cool.

Congratulations!

Nice!

Probably should've went for this, but didn't feel like it. That's pretty cool honestly.

cajunator

Banned

Nice! what is cards against humanity?

AOTSAS, definitely. I still don't care much for Hotaru, but all the other characters in the show and the depictions of the countryside settings have been wonderful.

My final arrival of this year:
REywVCKl.jpg

Contents

Very glad to get this in BD and also not fucked up as GuP was.

Thanks for reminding me to place another order. I try to preorder the month before usually but it has been quite an expensive month.

Kyoukai no kanata - end

A ending that didn't make much sense , over the top and nicely animated .

NO question was trully answered and plenty of aspect of the spirirts warriors are left unsolved.
As for the bad guy , he went out in some trully anti climatic way leaving me quite confused at what was his purpose into doing all this shit ?

In the End Knk is no more than a 6/10.beautifull animation can certainly help , but not that much when your characters and setting are so disjuncted

FUYUKAI DESU YO

yami4ct

Nice! what is cards against humanity?

It's a "fill-in-the" blank style of card game like Apples to Apples, but the phrases on the cards tend to say very horrible things and relies on black humor. It's great if you have the right group of friends for it.

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com

Their christmas campaign this year was called "Twelve Days of Holiday Bullshit". You gave them $12, and they would send you twelve gifts. So far, besides the Blu-Ray, I've gotten 3 small expansions for their game, a new card game they're releasing, a set of posters based on some of their cards and a small lump of coal. They've got some pretty funny videos on the site they've put up as they've gone along as well.

http://www.holidaybullshit.com

During the campaign, the last part had you submit the best and worst things you did this year and one thing you wanted for Christmas. I honestly don't know if the Blu-Ray is supposed to be part of the twelve, or if they just chose to give a few of us a special gift just to make our holiday. Checking on twitter, I haven't even seen anyone else mention getting something personalized and cool from them, so so far I'm actually not really sure how this happened, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom