• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I might just agree

Also is it just me or does the Monogatari series take place in the same universe as Charlie Brown and Ed, Edd n Eddy? Before anybody thinks I am crazy, allow me to make my case for these three.

First, there are almost no adults, ever. When adults do appear, they are an inhuman, unusual, strangely censored force beyond whatever else the children cope with. In Charlie Brown this means they are the muffled voice of God. In Ed, Edd 'n Eddy this means they are freakish giants with massive sizes, and in Monogatari they're presented as beings who cannot be looked full in the face (Hitagi's father, Koyomi's mother), and the only grown ups we see full on in Monogatari are the ones who behave like children (Oshino, his friend, Kaiki, Suruga's sister).

CvcSCj0.jpg

Fig. 1, grown ups are Cthulu

Second, school is an empty, unimportant place. Whenever we see school in Monogatari, no one is there. The only people we see there are the main cast. The same is true of Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, where every named character is the only character to ever appear in a class room. While the cast is somewhat more expansive in Charlie Brown, the idea is the same: school is the only place we ever really hear adults, and mostly its just kids sitting in an empty room. No matter where you go, though, these kids are always out on the street getting into hijinks, even though by rights they ought to be spending the overwhelming amount of their time in a class room, being bored.

5GSbtIU.jpg

Fig. 2, school takes place in an empty, unimportant void.

Third, the three series share similar characters across the board. I know this is going to sound batshit crazy about Charles Schultz' beloved classic with strong Christian undertones, but Charlie Brown and Araragi Koyomi are basically the same harem protagonist. Both are everyday guys who are widely referred to as losers by people who know them, but actually irresistible to the people they know all the same. I mean think about this: An annoying kid sister who is growing up to fast: Araragi Karen or Sally Brown? The protagonist's tsundere friend who delights in torturing him both physically and spiritually, but also provides him with valuable advice from time to time: Lucy van Pelt or Senjougahara Hitagi? The protagonist's athletic female friend who has feelings for him but fills more of a close friend role than lover: Kanbaru Suruga or Peppermint Patty? The brainy, glasses girl everybody overlooks and has a secret crush on the loser hero: Marcie or Hanekawa Tsubasa? The guy who doesn't act his age and serves as the spiritual mentor of the protagonist: Linus van Pelt or Oshino? I could go on, but you get the point.

NmnY0AW.jpg

Figure 3. A Harem Protagonist.

What about Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, though? Similar roles are filled here, my friend. In this case the Harem protagonist is split in three: Ed is the doofy everyman, but Edd and Eddy both share the negative and positive character traits (Edd is the kind-hearted nihilist that both Charlie Brown and Araragi are, and Eddy embodies the pervert with the hopeless crush of Araragi and Charlie respectively). Their harem is largely unwanted, but similar in a fair amount of ways. They have the violent imouto in Sarah, and the tormentor in the Kankers. Lee is the violent tease that Kanbaru is, Marie is the intelligent, unwanted love that Tsubasa is, and May is the hopeless fool that Sengoku is. Naz, the only wanted love interest, is also the one who plays hard to get and is thus a very vapid Senjougahara.

DaN3lRx.png

Fig. 4, quite possibly the worst example in my argument.

Each of these shows takes place in what appears to be a post-apocalyptic world without much of a population, or rather, it is an element of the show that, while the pretense of a larger world exists (cars drive by in all three, but driven by who?), it is largely foreign to the youth who are the central and sole casts. The driving force of the plot is for these children, oblivious of an adult world which, if it exists at all, is peripheral at best, are on quests to attain something for each of them and therefore undergo simple, smaller quests to get them. Charlie Brown is in constant search of happiness, and his tasks often involve him looking for the meaning of a holiday. Ed, Edd n Eddy are aiming for Jaw breakers, and so they frequently seek to fleece the rest of the cul-de-sac kids. Araragi is looking to get laid help others with their spirit issues and spends his time fighting various oddities as a result.

Another key element is that the protagonist is a social outcast. Charlie Brown is the perpetual underman, Ed, Edd n Eddy are social rejects for the entire show, and by Araragi's own admission he has only just recently begun to acquire friends. Their lesser quests bring about social inclusion as an unexpected, happy result: Charlie Brown's christmas tree, the end of EEE's movie, and Araragi's slow gain of friends by going around helping one another.

All three shows also feature an unusual character who is in many ways the mascot. Snoopy, Plank, and while I suppose some may find this insulting, Hachikuji all fill essentially the same role: they're oddball, quirky characters whose appearances may have an influence on the plot or may just be done for our entertainment.

So you see, even if Charlie Brown, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, and Monogatari aren't all taking place in the same post-apocalyptic universe in which males and adults are in short supply, I believe I have made a very strong case that all three pieces are thematically linked along the same lines.

And you will never unseen Charlie Brown as a harem protagonist, ever, ever again.

Shergal

@Azula: not going to comment on your preference :p but
I appreciate these Ghibili films being just about life (rather than being fantasy).
In this case it's time to move on to the infinitely more nuanced and graceful Only Yesterday (AKA the best thing to come out of Ghibli). It might put you to sleep though. Takahata films tend to do that to some people.

zeroshiki

To raise the silly topic of the AOTY thread again, why don't we just use the same system as the GOTY thread?

For reference, the scoring on the GOTY thread works as follows:

Seems simple enough, and I like not having to sweat too much about the difference between certain spots on the list.

Did they explain why the point system is like that? I don't really mind either way. We just need to decide on something and go with it.

Quasar

Mrs. Araragi isn't Best Girl, no sir. She is Finest Woman. Girl had one scene and so much body the screen couldn't contain it all at once. You know your mom is hot when your #2 squeeze is doing Araragi angles on her.

I'd forgotten she even appeared in the show. Shows you how much impact she had.

Logo_Hunter_x_Hunter.svg

Episodes 21 - 30

So Killua’s family arc went smoother than I expected. Really. I wasn’t expecting the show to handle it like…that. I mean, we get the general first impression that Killua’s family is a bunch of assholes, and then we’re shown that his dad is apparently a total bro. I say apparently because he seems to have some apparent reason for letting him go. Once again, this show shows how unpredictable it can be.

So now it seems we’re getting our traditional Shounen power abilities explained now that we’ve entered a tournament arc of some sorts. But wait! Gon doesn’t want to win the tournament and make it to the top of the tower (much to the receptionist’s dismay, lol). He just wanted to use that place as a place to grind for more experience points in preparation to get at least one hit on the final boss! But wouldn’t you know it, said final boss shows up once again!

If I had to guess what Hisoka’s motives were for letting Gon live (going so far as helping him during the exam, AND by technically saving him and Killua by not letting them enter in the 200 floor rounds), I’d say that Hisoka is trying to preserve his own powerful strength. He wants to be stronger than anyone else, but he realizes in order to preserve his strength, he needs good strong opponents, which he sees in Gon (Hence his “I’ll kill you when you’re worth killing” shtick). Then once Gon is strong as him (or stronger THAN him), then he’ll kill him for the good experience points.

u87d5E5.png

I swear I saw this sort of thing in a much more recent anime...

I wonder how Leorio is going to fit in to all of this now that Kurapika is going to learn about this Nen stuff now.

If I had one small complaint about this show, it’s that nothing really massive has happened yet. It’s been 30 episodes and the show hasn’t arrived at that one powerful moment that everybody remembers the show for. Something like this is in every Shounen. I know I'm probably being impatient here, but with the direction this show is headed in, I can’t help but wonder when this show is gonna strike me right in the feels. Aw well. I'm sure when it does, it'll be amazing.

I love this show’s sense of progress and how something is always happening that changes the situation the characters are in all the time, so there’s always something new to look forward to. This is excellent pacing. So glad I decided to watch this.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why does a drop of tear on something seem to always unlock the happy ending in anime?!

DROPS OF TEARS SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE!
They'll probably just put out the fire and save the day yet again :(

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 9

Ellidor loves Karen. Shiro is probably a traitor! Blah blah blah Apsalus is a stupid machine anyway. OH NO THE ZEON ARE USING DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS.

At least there was an Acguy and the Gun EZ 8 rolled out in this ep.

Basically at this point though I'm just hanging on for DAT GOUF.

Branduil

Now this I'd like to read in detail.

It's not really something that needs to be developed in detail, LOL. Just pointing out that our viewpoint in From the New World is limited to Japan... who knows what kind of shenanigans could result from psychic powers in other parts of the world?

CorvoSol

I do think you actually disappeared for quite a bit though, and it was probably around that time frame too.

Well there have been points in the semester where I've been pretty dang busy. I was off GAF for like a full week at one point because I was doing like three projects plus filling out an internship.

I have no idea what thought process would even lead to that idea let alone being able to organize it and put it down into words.

Like so: "Hey, Araragi's mom's face isn't shown. Neither is Hitagi's dad's. That's like how you almost never see grown ups in EEE and Charlie Brown. Hey also you never see anyone else in EEE. Hey what else is in common?" Then a miracle happened. This is how I see things all the time. "X has Y in common with Z. How much else is there to that?"

I have no idea what thought process would even lead to that idea let alone being able to organize it and put it down into words.

Corvolius Theory

Well there have been points in the semester where I've been pretty dang busy. I was off GAF for like a full week at one point because I was doing like three projects plus filling out an internship.

Apparently it warped your mind due to being depraved.

cajunator

Banned

Like so: "Hey, Araragi's mom's face isn't shown. Neither is Hitagi's dad's. That's like how you almost never see grown ups in EEE and Charlie Brown. Hey also you never see anyone else in EEE. Hey what else is in common?" Then a miracle happened. This is how I see things all the time. "X has Y in common with Z. How much else is there to that?"

I kind of hate this trend of not showing faces. It doesnt make sense and seems lazy.

CorvoSol

Corvolius Theory

Apparently it warped your mind due to being depraved.

I like the sound of that!

I kind of hate this trend of not showing faces. It doesnt make sense and seems lazy.

I believe that in the shows I listed adults are rarely if ever shown because the show is about youth and how insular your world is when you're young. As a kid school is a boring place, except for friends, so gutting the place expresses how dull school is to kids. Adults are terrifying, mighty beings beyond your ability to understand or sympathize with, from whence law and the rule of law are derived, so it makes sense that they're shown as strange, incomprehensible forces in these shows. Nobody has any idea what goes through Mr. Senjougahara's head because he's an adult. Nobody knows what Eddy's dad is thinking because he's an adult. Nobody even understands what adults are saying in Charlie Brown, because he's an adult.

So it's just a visual representation of how kids sort of see grown ups, and the number of adults and their appearances are kept to a minimum as a means of maintaining the sanctity of a childhood world. Think of it like in Winnie the Pooh. You don't see other people in the 100 Acre wood because that's Christopher Robin's world. You don't see grown ups in these shows because they're not a part of this world.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Today I will be vindicated when the Galilei Donna finale proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's a prequel to Overman King Gainer.

Precure is an allegory for North Korea.

Think about it.

It can't be because we haven't had a chubby lead Cure................yet.

Mature

I'm just sayin' that for a while there it was every popular 90s kids show being an allegory for how the protagonist was dead.
Haha, no, I know what you mean. Besides, we need more insane theories around here. The crazy has gone down sufficiently since "The Prophet" was excised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom