• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Also, here are the Tamako movie teaser images.

218221s.jpg

218222s.jpg

Branduil

Maybe I'm just in a cynical mood but it's hard to be hyped for a movie called "Tamako Love Story" that will probably have no real resolution whatsoever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
To raise the silly topic of the AOTY thread again, why don't we just use the same system as the GOTY thread?

For reference, the scoring on the GOTY thread works as follows:
This kind of system is really bad about allowing stand out titles that resonate with a niche audience to succeed. I don't really know why things need to be changed from last year.
Seems simple enough, and I like not having to sweat too much about the difference between certain spots on the list.
This is the first step down the road to liking Poppy Hill more than Whisper of the Heart.
Maybe I'm just in a cynical mood but it's hard to be hyped for a movie called "Tamako Love Story" that will probably have no real resolution whatsoever.
Her true love was mochi all along. So touching.

Branduil

This kind of system is really bad about allowing stand out titles that resonate with a niche audience to succeed. I don't really know why things need to be changed from last year.

Good point. Probably best just to leave well enough alone instead of preemptively trying to engineer the results we want.

CorvoSol

What if this thread is an allegory for how you are dead, corvo-kun

Then surely this is Hell, and I need to summon a giant angel robot to help me battle Hitler's hordes and ride that elevator to meet Thoth.

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason. Hanekawa has been this show's secondary protagonist basically since Tsubasa Cat, gaining prominence in Nise by befriending Araragi's sisters and receiving an overwhelming amount of development during the two Nekomonogatari arcs. The revelation that class-rep was actually a deeply messed up person, as well as the fact that her personal troubles, combined with her own innate talents and abilities, made her the deadliest threat Araragi has faced on screen. The Cat herself was a dangerous, pointed foe because her reasons for fighting Araragi were much more personal than even Suruga's, and note that Kanbaru's intent was flat out to kill.

The Tiger, appropriately, proved far, far more terrifying. If Hanekawa's stress created Cat Woman, then her envy created the Dark Phoenix. Tiger's line "I don't know everything, but everything burns." is undoubtedly the most terrifying line in the entire show because, as the tiger points out: the pyromaniacal desires he has stem directly from Hanekawa's own mind. The house burned down because Hanekawa wanted it to. The cram school, too. The apartment would burn, and it would not be an accident that Senjougahara was inside. The apartment would burn BECAUSE she was inside.

Tsubasa's decision to accept these monsters as traits of herself was pretty damn heroic, too. In some ways it was a mirror of the Weight Crab returning Hitagi's emotions, though there's been considerable more build up to this. Senjougahara had to elect to have pain returned to her life, whereas Tsubasa had to elect to have all that was negative about herself returned. All her pent up frustration, anger, and envy.

I also have to say that Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi, while not void of sex, is considerably more romantic than basically every other girl in the harem, Senjougahara included. And really, that's something I think the series is failing at: with all this development given to Hanekawa, Araragi's declaration that
he loves Senjougahara more than her
, while fair and necessary to the development of both characters, does leave the viewer wondering "Why?" Not because Senjougahara is unlikeable, but because we haven't really seen much relationship development for the two of them. Araragi's alone time with Senjougahara is rare and sparse, and I think we're due for some upgrades there.

The episode's end in particular was powerful,
because Hanekawa, after electing to take upon herself everything that was wrong with her, is confronted by Araragi, which shakes her nerve until he assures her. She works up the courage to spit out the last bit of what she'd been bottling up, and when she's shot down we see her cry for the first time. At the end of the episode she has the courage to ask her so-called parents for a room of her own, and for the first time Tsubasa gets to say "I'm home." The room itself symbolizes her gaining a complete identity.

But basically the following .gifs are where it is at:

d8iBOtH.gif

3pouhWL.gif

spoilers

Kyoukai no Kanata 12

Well I rather liked this ending. Definitely one of the better KyoAni endings and the drama wasn't as terrible as other shows. Still pretty much enjoyed this series.

Aikatsu! 6

Ichigo apparently trained too hard on her autographing skills to the point that it scared people off. That made Tsundran upset!

Meanwhile GRATUITOUS ENGRISH JOHNNY BEPP

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Hope it's actually about that fat awkward shopkeeper with the giant fro that got friendzoned.

Quasar

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason. Hanekawa has been this show's secondary protagonist basically since Tsubasa Cat, gaining prominence in Nise by befriending Araragi's sisters and receiving an overwhelming amount of development during the two Nekomonogatari arcs.

It is interesting just how much screentime and development Hanekawa gets in the series compared to Hitagi and how little screentime Koyomi and Hitagi get in total, especially after becoming a couple.

Don't know whether that simply that Hanekawa is a much more interesting character to write about compared to Hitagi or what.

Gazoinks

Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions

Was cute. Too angst at times, especially in the last two episodes (which were also the weakest). The ending moral it decided to give seemed kind of confused, hopefully the second season will develop that further. Not sure if I'll watch it though.

In other news, I'm going to start After Story in a day or two.

Need something to watch. What's been good lately?

This season I'd unconditionally recommend Kyousougiga and Log Horizon. Yozakura Quartet is very good if you don't mind random panty shots everywhere. White Album 2 is solid, and its first half or so was great. Kill La Kill is pretty good, but suffers from budget and pacing problems.

CorvoSol

It is interesting just how much screentime and development Hanekawa gets in the series compared to Hitagi and how little screentime Koyomi and Hitagi get in total, especially after becoming a couple.

Don't know whether that simply that Hanekawa is a much more interesting character to write about compared to Hitagi or what.

It could also be that Hanekawa is more popular.

Quasar

It could also be that Hanekawa is more popular.

I imagine that's impacted how the stories have been adapted and what ones. Not so sure how much its impacted the novels. Still...I'm surprised there hasn't been even one story that's focused on the Koyomi/Hitagi relationship. Though maybe there has been in the books.

And you know this has impact my enjoyment of the series in some ways. I really miss the Koyomi/Hitagi banter that we got early on. Now they rarely even have scenes together.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Then surely this is Hell, and I need to summon a giant angel robot to help me battle Hitler's hordes and ride that elevator to meet Thoth.

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason. Hanekawa has been this show's secondary protagonist basically since Tsubasa Cat, gaining prominence in Nise by befriending Araragi's sisters and receiving an overwhelming amount of development during the two Nekomonogatari arcs. The revelation that class-rep was actually a deeply messed up person, as well as the fact that her personal troubles, combined with her own innate talents and abilities, made her the deadliest threat Araragi has faced on screen. The Cat herself was a dangerous, pointed foe because her reasons for fighting Araragi were much more personal than even Suruga's, and note that Kanbaru's intent was flat out to kill.

The Tiger, appropriately, proved far, far more terrifying. If Hanekawa's stress created Cat Woman, then her envy created the Dark Phoenix. Tiger's line "I don't know everything, but everything burns." is undoubtedly the most terrifying line in the entire show because, as the tiger points out: the pyromaniacal desires he has stem directly from Hanekawa's own mind. The house burned down because Hanekawa wanted it to. The cram school, too. The apartment would burn, and it would not be an accident that Senjougahara was inside. The apartment would burn BECAUSE she was inside.

Tsubasa's decision to accept these monsters as traits of herself was pretty damn heroic, too. In some ways it was a mirror of the Weight Crab returning Hitagi's emotions, though there's been considerable more build up to this. Senjougahara had to elect to have pain returned to her life, whereas Tsubasa had to elect to have all that was negative about herself returned. All her pent up frustration, anger, and envy.

I also have to say that Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi, while not void of sex, is considerably more romantic than basically every other girl in the harem, Senjougahara included. And really, that's something I think the series is failing at: with all this development given to Hanekawa, Araragi's declaration that
he loves Senjougahara more than her
, while fair and necessary to the development of both characters, does leave the viewer wondering "Why?" Not because Senjougahara is unlikeable, but because we haven't really seen much relationship development for the two of them. Araragi's alone time with Senjougahara is rare and sparse, and I think we're due for some upgrades there.

The episode's end in particular was powerful,
because Hanekawa, after electing to take upon herself everything that was wrong with her, is confronted by Araragi, which shakes her nerve until he assures her. She works up the courage to spit out the last bit of what she'd been bottling up, and when she's shot down we see her cry for the first time. At the end of the episode she has the courage to ask her so-called parents for a room of her own, and for the first time Tsubasa gets to say "I'm home." The room itself symbolizes her gaining a complete identity.

But basically the following .gifs are where it is at:

d8iBOtH.gif

3pouhWL.gif

spoilers

Also should note that there was some cut out dialogue of that letter she wrote concerning the abuse from her parents which she talks about, on a site someone posted that edited out part from the light novel

Pooya

Beyond the shonen - 12 END

It really looked amazing, man all them effects.

I'm not sure the hell happened in the end like
what happened to Izumi?!!she just left or something?

well, anyway looks like there are quite a few plot points or whatever for a second season which I'm sure we'll be getting. I'm actually interested in watching more if it looks as good, that's more than I could say for Free or Chuu2, so yeah I think this was definitely the better of the three but that's not saying much.

character ranking

Sakura
Izumi
poop
the rest

Won't be here as often these next 3 weeks due to me being in vacation and having limited times where I have wifi or can even watch since I'm sharing a room. But here are my opinions on today's shows:

Tokyo Ravens 11

Cute episode, nothing much got done but there was comedy and a bit more Kon moments so I'm sure people here are pleased. Harutora continues being a surprisingly decent protagonist considering how he doesn't freak out over stuff like Kon waking up in the same bed as him. Next weeks episode title seems like it'll be more hijinks. I don't mind as long as there's character development, but it seems like blonde girl from the school got pushed as a tertiary character ever since better blonde girl appeared.

Kyokai No Kanata END

I'm gonna need some crackers and wine with all this cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese. No seriously that was able to do what I always complain about endings in many shows: resolve the current stuff and character interactions, close the ties and don't leave many threads hanging. I appreciate that. But the rest of the episode was just pure LN cheese. No thanks. I wouldn't recommend this anime to anybody outside of people who want cool smooth action. But I'd recommend many other shows beforehand.

sonicmj1

Also is it just me or does the Monogatari series take place in the same universe as Charlie Brown and Ed, Edd n Eddy? Before anybody thinks I am crazy, allow me to make my case for these three.

Third, the three series share similar characters across the board.... The protagonist's athletic female friend who has feelings for him but fills more of a close friend role than lover: Kanbaru Suruga or Peppermint Patty? The brainy, glasses girl everybody overlooks and has a secret crush on the loser hero: Marcie or Hanekawa Tsubasa?

There are a number of flaws in your theory (consider the symbolism of a relatively empty small town as opposed to a largely abandoned city), but this one threw me the most.

It's common knowledge that Marcie and Peppermint Patty are in a lesbian relationship. So while I admire your intuition in equating Patty with Kanbaru, it's downright irresponsible to ignore the bond that Patty and Marcie share. In your analogy, Patty would be yearning for Lucy. As anyone with any sense should be able to tell, that's patently absurd.

With huge innaccuracies like that, I'm sure we can safely discard this theory.

That's an argument I can understand. In the interests of ensuring that Aku no Hana gets a high spot consistency, I'm fine with keeping the old system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom