• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Kyokai No Kanata END

I'm gonna need some crackers and wine with all this cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeese. No seriously that was able to do what I always complain about endings in many shows: resolve the current stuff and character interactions, close the ties and don't leave many threads hanging. I appreciate that. But the rest of the episode was just pure LN cheese. No thanks. I wouldn't recommend this anime to anybody outside of people who want cool smooth action. But I'd recommend many other shows beforehand.

I think it is a weird case.
I really like the MC. And the female lead (name escapes me right now). I thought they were engaging, and i liked their romance.

The action scenes were great. And the show was truly beautifully rendered.

But the story was convoluted/unexplained/boring. Such a shame. This anime had so much good going for it...

Also can anyone tell me why KyoAni gets so much crap in anime circles? I am pretty new to anime, but i love almost everything I have seen of theirs. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of my favorites. Working my way through Clannad/After Story now and so far so good. Nichijou looks fun and cute. And people seem to like K-On and Lucky Star.

What is it that draws so much ire towards them>?

Yuri Yuri Precure! 44 - The Yuri is Not a Lie

Eje92ZF.jpg

Let us set the tone for the rest of this. By the way, she's blowing a kiss towards Mana. Ohohoho. Here we have our Christmas episode, and a tra-- I mean contest is up and about to take Mana away from them because the Precure would be useless without her. And can you blame Regina? That was our thoughts too! However, this plan had some... kinks in it

wgBTjoN.jpg
cgBwfWv.jpg

The face of a fucking winner!

Mutual I love yous. But not just any I love yous. This is something known as "Aishiteru", which was in fact, stated here. NOT DAISUKI MOTHERFUCKERS! AISHITERU!

Hell lets give more context to this scene. We pretty much get this exchange during work

"Even when they're apart, Rikka is always thinking about Mana". Makopi
"It's LOVE" Racquel

And then we have touching Mana Memos, in where she pretty much thought about Rikka's needs during work, INCLUDING FOOD made by her just to make sure Rikka is alright. And on top of that, she gives an aishiteru with it. And by golly she's fucking happy. Even the dude that was in the room was gone! He knows this was the time of yuri. He got the fuck out!

Fuck, lets drive the point home with a scene happening afterwards at the fair! They're playing a crane game, and Rikka starts hallucinating because she lost. She imagined Mana's voice, and even called out Mana's name despite that she's not there. Her friends should be upset that they apparently can't quell the loneliness in Rikka's heart.

I would like to bring up a couple things. In Episode 3 (or two, I can't check) Rikka wants to be Mana's Swallow. Go read The Happy Prince. This also isn't the first time Mana used "aishiteru" either, she said it towards Rikka in episode 12.

Also, I think it gave this scene back in Alice's episode more meaning, or rather, establishing the yuri intent behind this scene (on top of the fact that no males were named before Alice's dad arrived so...)

However, because we have to preach to our kids, we just can't have Rikka keep winning right?

NOPE, Forced Regina to confess her undying love to Mana, but not before a betsuni... In fact, she arrived just on time to hear it thanks to the helpings of MALIBU STACY WITH NEW HAT

God damn, Regina blushed like a tomato here. How adorable. Been a while since her brainwashing
And we do see some nice Blue Eye Regina here

All these feelings! From girl to other girl! They managed to outbeat the Lava Pit scene, and that had sweating (because lavapit... yeah that's right) and close hugging (so they didn't fall to their deaths)

It's like, I never thought that Toei would ever manage to beat that, but they actually did. Based Toei.

Sadly, this is probably as much as we'll be given. Toei may have given us something awesome for Christmas, enough for SDBurton, it also means expecting some form of a kiss is now actually reasonable. That's definitely something that won't be delivered on TV, since kissing is for movies only! And the movie we have isn't canon anyway, so who gives a fuck lol.

But hay, we pretty much established full front and center Mana, the Harem King. All bow down to Mana!

mho9i0r.jpg
xnw2STq.jpg

Staring makes you blush

Shergal

Also can anyone tell me why KyoAni gets so much crap in anime circles? I am pretty new to anime, but i love almost everything I have seen of theirs. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of my favorites. Working my way through Clannad/After Story now and so far so good. Nichijou looks fun and cute. And people seem to like K-On and Lucky Star.

What is it that draws so much ire towards them>?

Sparse shows with top-tier production values means people get frustrated at the "wasted talent" (real or not). Once upon a time they were a proxy through which people bashed moe and stuff, nowadays that seems to have died down and it's just sad to see them waste themselves in bottom of the barrel LN stuff, especially after they put out amazing stuff like Hyouka.

BearPawB

Banned
Sparse shows with top-tier production values means people get frustrated at the "wasted talent" (real or not). Once upon a time they were a proxy through which people bashed moe and stuff, nowadays that seems to have died down and it's just sad to see them waste themselves in bottom of the barrel LN stuff, especially after they put out amazing stuff like Hyouka.

Guess i need to watch Hyouka next then huh?

Gazoinks

Non Non Biyori 01

That made me sleepy in a good way. So relaxed.

I like how the class consists of the female cast and one faceless dude.

zeroshiki

Guess i need to watch Hyouka next then huh?

Yes.

Alot of the KyoAni bashing comes from a place of love. We know they can do better and wish they would stop wasting their time on disgusting shit like KnK and do more stuff like K-On and Hyouka.

This is in contrast to the SHAFT hate. That one is real. Fuck them.

*checks to see what's new, or at least hopefully something I haven't read*

*Smile Precure related, has Miyuki and her mother* Oh, neat. Lets see where this goes

*Sees Wolfrun* And now the cycle begins again ._.

BearPawB

Banned
Yes.

Alot of the KyoAni bashing comes from a place of love. We know they can do better and wish they would stop wasting their time on disgusting shit like KnK and do more stuff like K-On and Hyouka.

This is in contrast to the SHAFT hate. That one is real. Fuck them.

:/ I liked Madoka, Haven't seen anything else SHAFT, but i thought people generally enjoyed the Monogatari series?

Gazoinks

:/ I liked Madoka, Haven't seen anything else SHAFT, but i thought people generally enjoyed the Monogatari series?

I've been boning up on my SHAFT lately, I think the main problem is that they can be pretty inconsistent. Also budget problems. So many budget problems.

But Zetsubou, SoreMachi, Madoka, etc. make up for it.

kiryogi

Banned
Then surely this is Hell, and I need to summon a giant angel robot to help me battle Hitler's hordes and ride that elevator to meet Thoth.

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason. Hanekawa has been this show's secondary protagonist basically since Tsubasa Cat, gaining prominence in Nise by befriending Araragi's sisters and receiving an overwhelming amount of development during the two Nekomonogatari arcs. The revelation that class-rep was actually a deeply messed up person, as well as the fact that her personal troubles, combined with her own innate talents and abilities, made her the deadliest threat Araragi has faced on screen. The Cat herself was a dangerous, pointed foe because her reasons for fighting Araragi were much more personal than even Suruga's, and note that Kanbaru's intent was flat out to kill.

The Tiger, appropriately, proved far, far more terrifying. If Hanekawa's stress created Cat Woman, then her envy created the Dark Phoenix. Tiger's line "I don't know everything, but everything burns." is undoubtedly the most terrifying line in the entire show because, as the tiger points out: the pyromaniacal desires he has stem directly from Hanekawa's own mind. The house burned down because Hanekawa wanted it to. The cram school, too. The apartment would burn, and it would not be an accident that Senjougahara was inside. The apartment would burn BECAUSE she was inside.

Tsubasa's decision to accept these monsters as traits of herself was pretty damn heroic, too. In some ways it was a mirror of the Weight Crab returning Hitagi's emotions, though there's been considerable more build up to this. Senjougahara had to elect to have pain returned to her life, whereas Tsubasa had to elect to have all that was negative about herself returned. All her pent up frustration, anger, and envy.

I also have to say that Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi, while not void of sex, is considerably more romantic than basically every other girl in the harem, Senjougahara included. And really, that's something I think the series is failing at: with all this development given to Hanekawa, Araragi's declaration that
he loves Senjougahara more than her
, while fair and necessary to the development of both characters, does leave the viewer wondering "Why?" Not because Senjougahara is unlikeable, but because we haven't really seen much relationship development for the two of them. Araragi's alone time with Senjougahara is rare and sparse, and I think we're due for some upgrades there.

The episode's end in particular was powerful,
because Hanekawa, after electing to take upon herself everything that was wrong with her, is confronted by Araragi, which shakes her nerve until he assures her. She works up the courage to spit out the last bit of what she'd been bottling up, and when she's shot down we see her cry for the first time. At the end of the episode she has the courage to ask her so-called parents for a room of her own, and for the first time Tsubasa gets to say "I'm home." The room itself symbolizes her gaining a complete identity.

But basically the following .gifs are where it is at:

d8iBOtH.gif

3pouhWL.gif

spoilers

Dem feels. . . Monogatari S2 really capitalizes on them. Each arc has an even more devastating emotional finale. :D I saw your reactions to Nise, and yeah, it's a low point, but it has its perks too. Kaikiiiiiiiiiii.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Did anyone else stop watching While Album 2 after episode 9 or 10? I've enjoyed every episode I've seen so far (even 10) but I cannot bring myself to care about episode 11 to the point I haven't even started it. Deep inside my head, I feel like I'll start hating the series.

Then surely this is Hell, and I need to summon a giant angel robot to help me battle Hitler's hordes and ride that elevator to meet Thoth.

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason. Hanekawa has been this show's secondary protagonist basically since Tsubasa Cat, gaining prominence in Nise by befriending Araragi's sisters and receiving an overwhelming amount of development during the two Nekomonogatari arcs. The revelation that class-rep was actually a deeply messed up person, as well as the fact that her personal troubles, combined with her own innate talents and abilities, made her the deadliest threat Araragi has faced on screen. The Cat herself was a dangerous, pointed foe because her reasons for fighting Araragi were much more personal than even Suruga's, and note that Kanbaru's intent was flat out to kill.

The Tiger, appropriately, proved far, far more terrifying. If Hanekawa's stress created Cat Woman, then her envy created the Dark Phoenix. Tiger's line "I don't know everything, but everything burns." is undoubtedly the most terrifying line in the entire show because, as the tiger points out: the pyromaniacal desires he has stem directly from Hanekawa's own mind. The house burned down because Hanekawa wanted it to. The cram school, too. The apartment would burn, and it would not be an accident that Senjougahara was inside. The apartment would burn BECAUSE she was inside.

Tsubasa's decision to accept these monsters as traits of herself was pretty damn heroic, too. In some ways it was a mirror of the Weight Crab returning Hitagi's emotions, though there's been considerable more build up to this. Senjougahara had to elect to have pain returned to her life, whereas Tsubasa had to elect to have all that was negative about herself returned. All her pent up frustration, anger, and envy.

I also have to say that Hanekawa's relationship with Araragi, while not void of sex, is considerably more romantic than basically every other girl in the harem, Senjougahara included. And really, that's something I think the series is failing at: with all this development given to Hanekawa, Araragi's declaration that
he loves Senjougahara more than her
, while fair and necessary to the development of both characters, does leave the viewer wondering "Why?" Not because Senjougahara is unlikeable, but because we haven't really seen much relationship development for the two of them. Araragi's alone time with Senjougahara is rare and sparse, and I think we're due for some upgrades there.

The episode's end in particular was powerful,
because Hanekawa, after electing to take upon herself everything that was wrong with her, is confronted by Araragi, which shakes her nerve until he assures her. She works up the courage to spit out the last bit of what she'd been bottling up, and when she's shot down we see her cry for the first time. At the end of the episode she has the courage to ask her so-called parents for a room of her own, and for the first time Tsubasa gets to say "I'm home." The room itself symbolizes her gaining a complete identity.

But basically the following .gifs are where it is at:

d8iBOtH.gif

3pouhWL.gif

spoilers

feels.

Beyond the Boundry 12

Very nice ending. Made me feel good. Really disappointed that Akihito didn't kiss the girl. Stupid Japan and their aversion to kissing in some/most animes. Still a chance of continuation with Miroku getting out and the fact that Izumi has a youmu inside her. Lets see what happens with the blu-rays and the reception to the series.

Jintor

Saint Young Men the Movie

That was fun.

I really appreciated how it was apparently the exact same events as from the manga, but it didn't have to be from their perspective the whole time. The festival from the viewpoint of the kids trying to bug them was hilarious, and I'm pretty sure all the original gags were still in it.

The Yakuza guy who thinks Jesus is a local head's son is still the best.

CorvoSol

There are a number of flaws in your theory (consider the symbolism of a relatively empty small town as opposed to a largely abandoned city), but this one threw me the most.

It's common knowledge that Marcie and Peppermint Patty are in a lesbian relationship. So while I admire your intuition in equating Patty with Kanbaru, it's downright irresponsible to ignore the bond that Patty and Marcie share. In your analogy, Patty would be yearning for Lucy. As anyone with any sense should be able to tell, that's patently absurd.

With huge innaccuracies like that, I'm sure we can safely discard this theory.

All dynamics need not remain the same. Patty wanrs Chuck and Marcie, Kanbaru wants Araragi and Senjougahara. Works just fine to me. An empty city is just a really big empty cul de sac. There's even a crummy runt in each. It is all coming up roses for my crackpot theories.

Dem feels. . . Monogatari S2 really capitalizes on them. Each arc has an even more devastating emotional finale. :D I saw your reactions to Nise, and yeah, it's a low point, but it has its perks too. Kaikiiiiiiiiiii.

I'm interested in seeing how the show escalates from here.

But I have a 'fro, and therefore would not wear a cap at all.

You ain't double D.

CorvoSol

Also should note that there was some cut out dialogue of that letter she wrote concerning the abuse from her parents which she talks about, on a site someone posted that edited out part from the light novel

Yeah, her guardians are awful excuses for human beings. In a show with vampires and demons, they are the only real monsters.

Pooya

Coppelion - 12

oh this actually wasn't the last episode like I thought, lol.

Zzzz lots of drama, lots of ugly. business as usual. Now next episode this time is really the FINAL BOSS, maybe it doesn't suck as much as last time.

1387447789-1.png

RubyFaith

Every character in Code Gease can kiss my ass. One more episode to go and a nuclear bomb could suddenly take everyone out at this point, I don't even care.

I stuck with the show because the plot and the dynamics between the characters are truly interesting, but I don't sympathize for any of them.

cnet128

Banned
Logo_Hunter_x_Hunter.svg

Episodes 21 - 30

If I had to guess what Hisoka’s motives were for letting Gon live (going so far as helping him during the exam, AND by technically saving him and Killua by not letting them enter in the 200 floor rounds), I’d say that Hisoka is trying to preserve his own powerful strength. He wants to be stronger than anyone else, but he realizes in order to preserve his strength, he needs good strong opponents, which he sees in Gon (Hence his “I’ll kill you when you’re worth killing” shtick). Then once Gon is strong as him (or stronger THAN him), then he’ll kill him for the good experience points.

I think you may be overthinking this. Hisoka has a massive fetish for strong people (more specifically, for fighting/killing them). Gon's potential excites him deeply in the nether regions. That's about all the justification I think he needs.

If I had one small complaint about this show, it’s that nothing really massive has happened yet. It’s been 30 episodes and the show hasn’t arrived at that one powerful moment that everybody remembers the show for. Something like this is in every Shounen. I know I'm probably being impatient here, but with the direction this show is headed in, I can’t help but wonder when this show is gonna strike me right in the feels. Aw well. I'm sure when it does, it'll be amazing.

Yeah, I think most people would probably say the next arc after this tournament tower is the big memorable moment of the series. That or one specific moment within that arc.

Though personally I'd say that the currently airing arc is waaaaaaaay better. It's sogood.

Monogatari SS 5

This is honestly the best episode of the entire Monogatari series thus far, and for good reason.

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd love this arc. Personally I feel it's one of the weaker arcs of the series, but that's only because a) I feel Hanekawa's story gets a little too much focus over the series as a whole and ends up dragging on a little, and b) Hanekawa isn't exactly one of my favourite characters. It's still a very good arc at achieving what it sets out to accomplish, namely providing a satisfying conclusion to Hanekawa's whole story and some well-earned resolution for her issues.

No comments on the fabulous new hair, though? (Screw the dye!)

Every character in Code Gease can kiss my ass. One more episode to go and a nuclear bomb could suddenly take everyone out at this point, I don't even care.

I stuck with the show because the plot and the dynamics between the characters are truly interesting, but I don't sympathize for any of them.

They are all pretty awful people. Interesting characters (at least some), but not particularly sympathetic.

Theonik

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 01-06
I'm so glad I picked this up, this show is wonderful. From the great production values, to the likeable cast and with a seemingly well paced story those 6 episodes were a joy to watch.
I also really like the OP/ED. The former is so catchy!
Of course, like other people have said before it is quite fanservicey so to speak though not anything like DxD, Qwaser etc. (the show is a lot classier about it) So that may put some people off. But the surrounding content more than makes up for it.
For me of course that only makes watching it better. Also I noticed the main character is voiced by the same actress that does Yoshika Miyafuji in Strike Witches. I'd recognize that "Ikenacha" everywhere. Kinda made me want to re-watch the Strike Witches movie again

Behold Saturation Precure!

MfOG83K.jpg
They aren't gonna resist the urge to make another DX movie... toei wants to.

Coppelion 12

lol @
the glorious return of Giant Spider Robot
at the end. Because why the hell not.

Oh, and gotta have those
shocking childbirth complications for added DRAMA. Inbefore it's actually twins.

Two anime episodes watched this evening, two protagonists given new strength by the metaphorical ghosts of recently-departed comrades. Go figure.
Considering
the size of her belly , i'm pretty sure those aren't twins but triplets. That size has been bothering me from the start
but since there are much more pressing issues with the anime i wasn't talking about it
Gravity-what now?
Gravity holds no candle to magic acessories.

Yuri Yuri Precure! 44 - The Yuri is Not a Lie

Eje92ZF.jpg

Let us set the tone for the rest of this. By the way, she's blowing a kiss towards Mana. Ohohoho. Here we have our Christmas episode, and a tra-- I mean contest is up and about to take Mana away from them because the Precure would be useless without her. And can you blame Regina? That was our thoughts too! However, this plan had some... kinks in it

Mutual I love yous. But not just any I love yous. This is something known as "Aishiteru", which was in fact, stated here. NOT DAISUKI MOTHERFUCKERS! AISHITERU!

Hell lets give more context to this scene. We pretty much get this exchange during work

"Even when they're apart, Rikka is always thinking about Mana". Makopi
"It's LOVE" Racquel

And then we have touching Mana Memos, in where she pretty much thought about Rikka's needs during work, INCLUDING FOOD made by her just to make sure Rikka is alright. And on top of that, she gives an aishiteru with it. And by golly she's fucking happy. Even the dude that was in the room was gone! He knows this was the time of yuri. He got the fuck out!

Fuck, lets drive the point home with a scene happening afterwards at the fair! They're playing a crane game, and Rikka starts hallucinating because she lost. She imagined Mana's voice, and even called out Mana's name despite that she's not there. Her friends should be upset that they apparently can't quell the loneliness in Rikka's heart.

I would like to bring up a couple things. In Episode 3 (or two, I can't check) Rikka wants to be Mana's Swallow. Go read The Happy Prince. This also isn't the first time Mana used "aishiteru" either, she said it towards Rikka in episode 12.

Also, I think it gave this scene back in Alice's episode more meaning, or rather, establishing the yuri intent behind this scene (on top of the fact that no males were named before Alice's dad arrived so...)

However, because we have to preach to our kids, we just can't have Rikka keep winning right?

NOPE, Forced Regina to confess her undying love to Mana, but not before a betsuni... In fact, she arrived just on time to hear it thanks to the helpings of MALIBU STACY WITH NEW HAT

God damn, Regina blushed like a tomato here. How adorable. Been a while since her brainwashing
And we do see some nice Blue Eye Regina here

All these feelings! From girl to other girl! They managed to outbeat the Lava Pit scene, and that had sweating (because lavapit... yeah that's right) and close hugging (so they didn't fall to their deaths)

It's like, I never thought that Toei would ever manage to beat that, but they actually did. Based Toei.

Sadly, this is probably as much as we'll be given. Toei may have given us something awesome for Christmas, enough for SDBurton, it also means expecting some form of a kiss is now actually reasonable. That's definitely something that won't be delivered on TV, since kissing is for movies only! And the movie we have isn't canon anyway, so who gives a fuck lol.

But hay, we pretty much established full front and center Mana, the Harem King. All bow down to Mana!
Man i haven't seen this episode yet , but this look like a great episode.
Also i was telling everyone since the first arcs( even before regina arrived ) that mana was a harem leader. That's shit is more obvious than i the yuri harem book i read yesterday.

he upgraded the picture i saw weeks ago. Nice pic even if i'm not sure every detail is in there.

Be carefull what you wish for.

Pooya

Considering
the size of her belly , i'm pretty sure those aren't twins but triplets. That size has been bothering me from the start
but since there are much more pressing issues with the anime i wasn't talking about it

there are only two possible outcomes

1- it's a boy where the mom is going to name him Haruto...
2- 3 girls or maybe 3 girls and 1 boy and you know what happens to their names

lol

More fuel to the SAO S2 fire. They will be doing a rebroadcast of the first SAO season using the remastered copies used in the BD and not the original broadcast version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLVJn82O5A

It sure FEELS like they're priming the pump for an announcement of something. Let's hope its just a movie and not a new series.

Summer would be so entertaining if we truly had SAO s2, Mahouka second half airing and if accel world s2 could be there too.

The only person you should care about in Code Geass R2 is good ol' Orange Boy.

I think you may be overthinking this. Hisoka has a massive fetish for strong people (more specifically, for fighting/killing them). Gon's potential excites him deeply in the nether regions. That's about all the justification I think he needs.

Well that's another way of putting it. I just thought that there might be some strong conviction driving his actions. If the reason is "he just loves killing", I'll only be slightly disappointed, cause there's a guy like that in almost every Shounen. Either way, I can't wait to hear this guy's backstory. There's so much mystery to this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom