• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
I showed my Mom and Brother From Up on Poppy Hill, and they really enjoyed it. Going to show them Whisper of the Heart on Friday as well as Howl's Moving Castle. I don't think my Mom would enjoy some of Miyazaki's earlier works (that are a bit more serious). But I'm thinking maybe Kiki next.

Castle in the Sky I think might also be a good one as I thought it was a pretty easy film to get into (although it does get kind of heavy at the end). I also got Summer Wars on Blu Ray for $12 on Amazon. So I'll show them that as well this weekend.

Qwaser of the Stigmata 01

Ok so this was exactly what one would expect. :Chet everywhere and ass-shots with some odd yuri.
Pretty eh so far, but I'll stick for it. Hopefully the lolidom I've been hearing about happens soon.

It's either the next episode or the one after she shows up. It'll be pretty obvious when she does.

Kyoukai no Kanata 12 END

An unlikely amount of enjoyment was derived from this episode. I sat back and watched as KyoAni did their best wingardium leviosa impression, in an attempt to elevate this ghastly material; it wasn't until the closing moments that I began wishing they wouldn't use their magic on something so uninspired, which is more than I can say for the majority of other episodes. It can't be overstated how beautiful and dynamic things look. The plot dips into some silliness that was unfortunately foreshadowed by the total lack of justification for
Mirai's disappearance
, but it was still amusingly dumb when followed through on and made an equal amount of sense in reverse.

As somebody who worships at the altar of Hyouka and K-ON (as much as really liking something can be considered worship), I probably enjoy KyoAni's character touches and modern style more than a lot of people here; even finding sparse moments of endearment among the general misery of this show and Chuunibyou. KyoAni will never be KyoAnus to me, but if I were their father I would be trying to express my disappointment in their performance right now, just using softer language than most.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Galilei Donna - "Fine"

1387474310-1.gif

to think they thought this 'scenario' was good for anime, man. I don't think there are that many worse shows than this out there...

What is even going on here?

Infinite Stratos is getting an OVA next year (World Purge arc)

http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1387434557

Stupid announcement CM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FynJ98h77A

I want to think that they will adapt the book and not fill it with pointless fanservice and stuff nobody cares about ....but i'm not raising my hopes up.

What is even going on here?

One annoying character was kicked by another that could NOT hold her urge to kick her because she was too annoying.

Kansoku

Mirai Nikki - 13~26
So I stopped doing impressions of every episode because I lost a bunch of stuff I had written. Now I finished everything, so I'll give an overall impressions.

First, Second back story is fucked up and makes me sad.

Second,
what was that First being badass all of sudden? He becomes a killing machine then end up being the lame ass he always was. It was really out of character.

Third,
I really don't like that the Eleventh is the one who came up with this game. He should not be allowed to participate. He was to OP.

Fourth, it was a bad ending.
Yuno being the god of the first world, with 1st Mur Mur helping her was taken right out of their buts. When Akise was trying to figure out why she had two diaries, I was thinking she had a split personality so each gets a diary. I was not expecting she to have become god and then do a dimensional time leap to kill Yuno of this world in order to be with Yukki. So that's why they called god Deus Ex Machina. So when they do the twist and people say it was Deus Ex Machina like, they got a big smile, thinking "Right... *wink wink*". Then best character Ninth comes back because deus is stupid to not see that Mur Mur is a fake and let her screw the game, so he gives his powers to Ninth as a last resort. Then Dragon Ball happens, and even though Mur Mur is trying to contain the causalities they go freely exploding the school. Then stuff happen and by the power of love Yukki is free, Mur Mur Second too and Yuno kills herself ("I'm surprised", said no one ever), making everything alright. Happy End.

Fifth,
god Yukki and Yuno make a new world. Wait. What. The. Fuck. Where did Yuno came from? WHERE THE HELL DID SHE CAME FROM? And I den`t even know if it`s first world Yuno, third world Yuno, or "N"th world Yuno.

In the end, I enjoyed this ride, but it was wasted potential. They had a interesting cast of characters, but instead of developing more the characters they chose to
kill the majority in the beginning. Also it would feel more "real" if everybody wasn't after the First. Imagine 9th against the 7th, 8th against the 5th, 10th against 11th, 3rd against 12th. But no, everyone must kill the First.

Kyoukai no Kanata - 12

So in the end
we're back to the beginning. Beyond the Boundary went back to Akihito, so all that effort to kill it was for nothing, and Mirai is back to life.
That was something. A really pretty something.

Midonin

Galilei Donna
Galileo. Galileo? Galileo! (Figaro)

Adding noitaminA to my rotation for the first time in a while has been fun, and it's all because the stories looked appealing. Three sisters on a world hopping adventure was something I'd want to see. As far as the series itself, I found it enjoyable.

I was expecting something like your Indiana Jones pulp fiction adventuring, and it delivered on that. Wasn't expecting all the focus on mecha and airships, much less ones that look like goldfish. They were pretty cool, though, in the few airfights that were sprinkled throughout the series. What I was expecting even less was for things to get all Back to the Future. Made for a heartwarming ending (and a temporal time loop), so the logic is sound on this one. There were enough interesting elements that I was never bored.

This was, above all, Hozuki's story. The supporting cast was colorful, but given the nature of the show, many of them were passing acquaintances. Having the Ganymede guys turn out to be pretty alright was a bit of a surprise, and I can't say I was expecting a court trial to be how the series ended. The various parts of - the corporate intrigue, the time travel, the adventuring - did kind of feel disjointed at times from one another, but the characters and the setting held things together well enough.

The central theme of the series was obviously about Galileo and family, with everyone being estranged at the start and traveling the world together at the end. The theme was carried strongly enough, and was drawn upon by several of the other characters that were met along their journey - Hans and Robert both had things happen with their families that made them the way they were, serving as examples of what the sisters could possibly become.

The opening and ending were easy to listen to, the ending in particular.

Final Thoughts: The sum of its various parts never quite gel together, but the series has a goal it wants to accomplish, and in that regard, its theme is followed through, and the characters are likable as the series goes on. Maybe it's because I've always liked the junior scientist types like Hocchibi. As an example of what noitaminA can do, I liked it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh screw off. Whilst part two was a mess and worthy of scorn I'm more than willing to forget that ever happened and just skip to GGO.

I did this with Digimon, I can do it again.

That is not happening, SAO is one of the worst anime series I have watched and that is not changing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This show isn't a trainwreck. It's a rollercoaster with invisible railings.

people being annoyed with ep 11 has me excited. I think you either just don't get it (and thus don't like it), or you just don't get it and love the fact that you don't.

I guess there could be one person out there who gets it... Wonder what he thinks of it?

Conan-san

Found a short trailer for the dub of Pokemon XY and looks like they're remaking the original theme song for the opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXdyRpuSLc
Hum, I'm conflicted, I prefered the "Marvel Studio"s esc minimalistic title cut to show they did for the two episode preview.

On the other hand, XY as a cartoon is basically them going back and fixing what made the last three years a complete shit show so dropping pretence and going back to "Pokémon Theme" is about the best way they can say "Come back guys, we're really sorry about Black and White".

Though I always prefered "Pokemon World"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well watching more anime will change that.

I have watched quite a bit actually. It is not the worst anime of all time, or even the worst anime I have seen this year, but there is not mistaking this as anything other then a dreg that needs to be eliminated.

Quasar

Also can anyone tell me why KyoAni gets so much crap in anime circles? I am pretty new to anime, but i love almost everything I have seen of theirs. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of my favorites. Working my way through Clannad/After Story now and so far so good. Nichijou looks fun and cute. And people seem to like K-On and Lucky Star.

What is it that draws so much ire towards them>?

I just thought it was a animeGAF thing, elsewhere everyone seems to like KyoAni. Least thats been my experience.

Quasar

I have watched quite a bit actually. It is not the worst anime of all time, or even the worst anime I have seen this year, but there is not mistaking this as anything other then a dreg that needs to be eliminated.

Well I'd strenuously disagree. Even if I thought it was a dreg, lots of people like it so I'm happy that they found something they like. I don't want to ruin their fun. Doesn't mean I have to watch it.

Aniplex of America just tweeted this out.

Oh nice, nice for Nisekoi, I wonder if it will get an engDub. Viz ought to do it since they are such fans when that time comes.

Pickups from Right Stuf sale. I usually never keep the cards they include but the holiday cards for Magi and Blast of Tempest were good.

The BLast of Tempest one is so much (think it came from all those themed images on the site last year), Yoshino and the white stuff and Mahiro.

Bombless

Samurai Flamenco 11

*episode starts*

Me : What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.......

*episode ends*

Me : UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK?!?

Oh my god they went there. They totally, completely, utterly went there. Nothing stops this train. Nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom