• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan-san

I don't think there was anything wrong with Season 1 especially the OVAs. Season 2 was ass.
Season 1 was ass because it refused to execute in any way that could have been used to improve on Kirino's character (being forced to accept that her work would be futzed with in the context of her light novel, having to let go of her family life to improve on her abilities as an athlete, etc) because that would dissuade viewers from her being the prefect target for their 2D lust.

Quasar

I want to think that they will adapt the book and not fill it with pointless fanservice and stuff nobody cares about ....but i'm not raising my hopes up.

An amusing comment fanservice seems to be all people talk about here.

But yeah, I wouldn't think they'd radically change the tone for an OVA.

Samurai Flamenco 11

a4WHQ3S.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well I'd strenuously disagree. Even if I thought it was a dreg, lots of people like it so I'm happy that they found something they like. I don't want to ruin their fun. Doesn't mean I have to watch it.

Yea, not really the way I roll, if I hate something I will unleash the hatred regardless if somebody else enjoyed it. I mean I pretty sure that logic applies to most things.

phaze

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 01-07

Finally something started happening. Getting hang of every organization mentioned in the dialogue is a pain.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 1-27

Fuck I thought it would be a happy ending but then they pulled that. :(

Still gathering my thoughts but the last battle was a terrific way to end it,show went out with a bang. Was a bit afraid the quality dipped after the timeskip but the last set of episodes was pure awesomeness.
I didn't like a few things. There was too much fanservice and the battles relied too much on the power of "believe". Show could also spend more time highlighting the various background characters (Kittan and the others), the impact of those few last episodes would be much greater. None of this has ever stopped me from enjoying those amazing series though.
GL is beautifully animated (the goddamn episode 15) and so full of energy I was buzzed hours after watching an episode.

Attenborough rocks:

attenboroughv1kcb.gif

Fuck Rossiu.
Also thanks to the the cosmicblizzard for introducing me to the series in the KlK OP. :)

jbug617

Banned
Sentai announces that they are licensing Familiar Of Zero S1. here is the PR

HOUSTON, December 19, 2013 — What do you get when you add a mage who’s a zero to the unlikeliest of heroes? Trouble with a capital “T” in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Familiar of Zero Season 1. This 13 episode fantasy is directed by Yoshiaki Iwasaki (Best Student Council) and features character designs by Masahiro Fujii (Dream Eater Merry) with scripts and series composition by Takao Yoshioka (Demon King Daimao) and music by Shinkichi Mitsumune (Rozen Maiden).

Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière’s name is so long and her spell-casting skills are so poor that everyone at the Tristain Academy of Magic just calls her “Louise the Zero”. Louise’s humiliation only increases during an important second year test, where the other students summon up dragons and other mythological creatures as their familiars, and she inexplicably summons Hiraga Saito, a totally normal teenager from Tokyo. Now she’s stuck with him and Saito’s stuck with the lousy life of being a familiar. Except, maybe there’s more going on than meets the eye, because Saito’s not prepared to accept the social inequities that Louise and other aristocrats consider the status quo, and he may not be quite as normal as everyone thinks. And the reason Louise is so bad at magic might just be that she hasn’t figured out what she’s good at yet. In fact, they might even have the makings of a great team. If they can learn to stand each other first, that is! Will familiarity breed contempt? Will combining two negatives result in a positive? The answer will be spelled out, enchantment by enchantment, in FAMILIAR OF ZERO!

Familiar of Zero Season 1 will be available soon through select digital outlets and on bilingual DVD & BD.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kyoani has lots of talent and one of the best structures for an anime-producing company, it's just unfortunate they've been adapting a lot of crap recently. I wouldn't say they're hated.

Quasar

People keep telling me I'm so close minded for this stuff, but yeah, that's basically why I've avoided it so far.

See I don't think its the premise thats the problem just the implementation. But then to me the premise of the show start with 'secret otaku girl and a brother who helps her enjoy her hobby'. Which is why a lot of S1 worked for me. The whole getting her to join an otaku club to make like minded friends, his defense of her and her hobby with their parents, etc.

See I don't think its the premise thats the problem just the implementation. But then to me the premise of the show start with 'secret otaku girl and a brother who helps her enjoy her hobby'. Which is why a lot of S1 worked for me. The whole getting her to join an otaku club to make like minded friends, his defense of her and her hobby with their parents, etc.

I seriously don't see how people couldn't see the sexual tension they were egging on from the beginning.

vlcsnap-2010-10-25-18h04m17s65-460x258.jpg

People keep telling me I'm so close minded for this stuff, but yeah, that's basically why I've avoided it so far.

The initial season isn't quite bad. Not a masterpiece, but decent. The second season is when it goes down hill.

It did give me this which might as well be relevant to another show

PD97Tyy.jpg

Another way to depict DokiDoki 44

The premise being that a guy helps his sister keep her life on track while enjoying a hobby she finds embarrassing? I don't remember there being much creepy about S1.

cajunator

Banned

hnnnngh yuri

Aniplex of America just tweeted this out.

Aniplex fuck you and your DVD only releases.

Hidamari Sketch: 03

This show...

...so fun to watch.

Oh my god yes. Its like pure joy wrapped in happiness and topped with squee and a side of hnng.

Pickups from Right Stuf sale. I usually never keep the cards they include but the holiday cards for Magi and Blast of Tempest were good.

Good stuff. They already released OniAi? It isnt supposed to release till Dec 31. thats WAY ahead.

Samurai Flamenco 11

a4WHQ3S.gif

Kinmozanity

Salty coins and milk

NO

Quasar

I seriously don't see how people couldn't see the sexual tension they were egging on from the beginning.

As I said parts. And I had hoped that was just for the audience and not really part the actual story, just as titillating camera angles are there in other shows. Obviously given where it went I was in denial. Doesn't mean it didn't have bits in there I liked. Maybe I need to do a phantom edit.

As I said parts. And I had hoped that was just for the audience and not really part the actual story, just as titillating camera angles are there in other shows. Obviously given where it went I was in denial. Doesn't mean it didn't have bits in there I liked. Maybe I need to do a phantom edit.

I don't think there's a need to justify not being steadfast in the belief that a popular show would barrel head first into teenage incest territory. Especially if we consider the familiarity and tolerance for fan service somebody who regularly watches anime is likely to have.

It's easy to shout "naive!" in retrospect. Oreimo and Monogatari, amongst other things, have caused me to stay alert for incest potential in the future though.

CorvoSol

The premise being that a guy helps his sister keep her life on track while enjoying a hobby she finds embarrassing? I don't remember there being much creepy about S1.

That is not related to what I was saying at all.

Shin Mazinger Z 22

This was mostly just another clip episode dedicated to the fact that Baron Asura is the most miserable creature I have ever seen in any mecha anime. Poor thing cannot even die.

That is not related to what I was saying and I will thank you to not put words in my mouth.

Huh? You agreed with the idea of avoiding Oreimo because the premise creeped you out, and I laid out the premise as I understand it with the implication being that there's not much creepy about it. How is that putting words in your mouth?

CorvoSol

It's Christmas time, all over the world.

Q8zEjHc.jpg

Ho, ho, ho.

Huh? You agreed with the idea of avoiding Oreimo because the premise creeped you out, and I laid out the premise as I understand it with the implication being that there's not much creepy about it. How is that putting words in your mouth?

Because you know damn well that that isn't the premise I was referring to and are deliberately misrepresenting what I said for the sake of your point. How is that not putting words in my mouth?

What is Mahouka?

Incestbait LN series about a massively overpowered protagonist (who of course doesn't think he's all that great and is in the "lower class" of magic users at school for dumb plot reasons about how his powers work. He also has a harem of course, though none of them get anywhere compared to his sister, not that he responds to any of them of course.)... it seems at least partially decent at first, but it's so, so dumb when you think about it at all.

A lot of people were blinding themselves to the obvious reality of what the show was about. It took a while for them to finally realize that they were wrong, but unfortunately the show eventually proved it.

AReed

Golden TIme EP 12

I would think it would've been more difficult for Koko to find Banri in that club. Koko is cray, Linda is superior,
Banri chose wrong.
I wonder if there will be more eps because we still need the obligatory beach episode
and Koko said they were going to sex on the beach.

Golden TIme EP 12

I would think it would've been more difficult for Koko to find Banri in that club. Koko is cray, Linda is superior,
Banri chose wrong.
I wonder if there will be more eps because we still need the obligatory beach episode
and Koko said they were going to sex on the beach.

It's going to be two cour anime so 12 episodes left.

Because you know damn well that that isn't the premise I was referring to and are deliberately misrepresenting what I said for the sake of your point. How is that not putting words in my mouth?

The question mark was the tip off that the statement I made required confirmation and wasn't me speaking for you. You're misreading my intentions. Believe me, I'm not about to intentionally twist words to defend Oreimo.

I feel kinda bad for Charlotte and Russia as they're good enough characters on their own. But everyone else can go and die in a fire, presumable set off by England cooking.

Eh, Laura's alright apart from the stupid eyepatch, and I'm starting to feel kind of bad for China with how badly she's been ignored this season... but Russia Jr. is boring and Britain is the worst, yeah.

As for Char, she's always best of course, though her role this season has been mixed in quality at best. I guess I kind of feel bad for her, but it's kind of hard when the show reminds you of how of course she loves mr. idiot the MC... it's more "feel bad for the fact that she has to be in a harem show" I guess, which is a quite valid form of feeling bad for the characters I admit.

Russia... I imagine that Russia will end up in the harem in the end (ep 12 should be soon, yes?), but she's not quite in it yet... I'm holding out hope, even if it isn't much of it. She's much better as a troll than she would be as a haremite...

They could realize at any point that Ichika sucks colossal amounts of ass and realize they don't have to settle for that loser. But they don't and, given the nature of the show, they won't. So fuck them.

Shame, Charlotte actually started off decently, but then she had Ichika feed her cause fuck if I remember, and that was it for her. Laura starts by pimp-slapping the fool and that's about where I ended, so I can just pretend she didn't sacrifice every redeemable part of her to be around that shit.
Laura's complete reversal of personality as soon as he stopped her (back in S1) was pretty hilarious really... it was so, so dumb that it was amusing. Both Laura and Char have been going downhill in S2 though, but everyone has, so that's nothing unique. S2 is all about more homogenization, more girls hitting Ichika, less fighting, and less of what made most of the characters interesting in the first place.

I think they toned that down slightly in ep. 11, which is probably part of why I think it's one of the best episodes of the season, but it's still present of course.

I didn't mind it. Found it somewhat pleasant. I liked that Houki got some alone time without the others interferring and for probably the first episode all season I think the girls never got violent.

I would have made it a little briefer to give a bit more time to the 'big plot'.
Yeah, this episode was good, and one reason why is that they weren't beating him up for once. They did chase him, but he fully deserved it, and there were none of the usual S2 "then they hit him" scenes. Improvement, but it comes too late to save the season.

Also, yes, this season's incredibly slow paced plot -- one minute or less of plot per episode -- is a definite issue too. Less plot than S1, seriously? And less fighting too, a lot of the time, making room for more mediocre harem antics? No wonder this season is worse than the first one, even apart from everything else. I mean, IS fights aren't that great either, but the harem antics are often even worse...

Though I still think its kind of weird that what amounts to a military academy teaching kids how to use death machines still goes out on organised beach trip and temple visits.
Hey, remember the beginning of S1? They're not just death machines... and it's a high school, all Japanese high schools have to have beach and Kyoto trips, right? :)

So...having to read that part at least how did the trip go differently?
The books are quite different from the show, though they're still just LNs, so I wouldn't call them "good" for sure.

Isn't it enough that anime has desensitized me to incest? Over the course of several threads I've gone from dropping Rah Xephon for hinting at it to laughing like a mad man all the way through the tooth brushing.
Rahxephon had incestbait? I'd forgotten that, but I don't think it was a major theme at all... but yeah, RahXephon is pretty good overall (even though you hated it).

But anyway, while anime may partially desensitize to some things, that doesn't mean everyone is going to be equally desensitized of course! No matter how much I see some things in anime (incestbait, the more overt forms of sexism, etc.), I still dislike them greatly.

Oh Speed Grapher. So much potential to be a fantastic anime. Its setting is noir at its best, but it took such a dive to the mediocre after a couple of episodes and basically devolved into "ridiculous anime baddie of the week" power rangers style, and the animation quality dropped exponentially (if I recall correctly)

If there's ONE positive aspect that nobody can deny it's this: It has one of the best OP's of all time. GIRLS ON FILM. SHE'S MORE THAN A LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADY, GIRLS ON FILM

I thought Speed Grapher was pretty good overall. It was overly fanservicey at times, but otherwise was interesting.

Season 0 is a failed List candidate, technically. I laid out my justification for it being an "unquantifiable" show last year, but everyone I screened it with found it simply, unironically bad leaving me alone in my impression. The List is built on consensus, so while everyone has a few pet series that they swear up and down belong there (for me, it's YGO S0, Tytania, and Kiss Dum: Engage Planet), if there aren't enough people to vouch for the show, it's not added.

I can't speak on your arguments for AWTB because I haven't seen it, but I feel like most people who have seen it find it repugnant rather than entertaining. An important consideration for List shows is that they're actually entertaining to watch, which basically means there has to be some sort of X-factor to the presentation of the material that operates in tandem with "bad writing" to elicit a perverse amazement on the part of the viewer. It's far from an exact science, but it's the reason why there's never a consensus on whether or not something like Black Rock Shooter TV belongs on the List. Whether it's painful or hilarious to watch is highly subjective.

The high concentration of old works on the List can basically be chalked up to the economic circumstances surrounding the OVA market in the late 80s/early 90s. The rise of the anime consumer market essentially coincided with Japan's "bubble" economy and, as such, studios at the time were able to take more risks in the mad grab for consumer cash. The popularity of the OVA format at the time also facilitated this because it was ideal for testing the market viability of a new project without the financial investment necessary for a TV-length series. Of course, risks sometime end in failure, and so the era was flush with bad and bizarre projects ranging from extremely rushed manga adaptations to barely-retooled ripoffs of successful works to just plain clusterfucks of terrible writing that made it to market because they ticked off enough marketability boxes.

Combine this with an infant American anime industry with no quality control whatsoever and you get double the already-high number of "special" works from this era because of comically horrible dubs that manage to elevate stuff that was otherwise mundane in its badness. Because the Japanese anime industry is more conservative now and the English localization industry is more mature, truly bad dubs and entertainingly bad OVAs are mostly extinct. Notice how around 2000, almost everything on the list suddenly transitions from OVA to TV with a couple of exceptions like ICE and Kuttsukiboshi.
There's a season zero of Yugioh? If I knew this before I'd completely forgotten... very interesting! Makes me want to try watching it sometime. :)

Well, to that I say:

HaruhiSuzumiya1.jpg
I never thought Haruhi (the series) was quite as good as its popularity suggested, but you make a good argument here... but I still haven't watched anything past S1 of the anime, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom