• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aikatsu! 3

So basically Mizuki is like idol Batman.

What's more distracting about the CG sequences than anything else is the crowds. They look like what you'd see in the crowds of an early Xbox 360 baseball game. Or in next-gen Madden.

Do they really have idols make appearances on financial news shows and the like? Or is Mizuki so special an idol that she can comment on the subject of new taxes and shit and sound reasonably intelligent while doing so?

Mizuki is just good at what she does! She had a training arc yo.

Non Non Biyori 10

Happy New Years with the Candy Store and her connections

Syrinx

Mizuki is just good at what she does! She had a training arc yo.
That's part of what I meant! She went through a whole year of incredibly intense idol training, unlike anything the manager had ever seen.

I disagree with the manager's definition of "prodigy" though. You can dedicate your life and work incredibly hard at something and still be a prodigy if you're that talented. LeBron James could be the hardest working man in the world, that doesn't mean he's not a prodigy. Maybe she just wanted to teach the two of them about the work they have to put in if they really want to make it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 12

The continuing adventures of Tada Banri, world's worst liar. Seriously dude, lern2lie.
If you're going to be away from home but don't want your obsessive, clingy girlfriend to know, don't tell her you'll be at home studying you moron. 'Cause all it takes is for her to come to your house and find you not there to know that you're a lying shitbag. Tell her you're going to see your family or some shit, fuck.

Besides all that though, you can certainly tell this is the end of a cour.
Hell, you could seriously just stop watching right now and this would make a great ending point. Koko's too damn forgiving though. Seriously, all this shit that happened was Banri's fault. Koko did literally nothing wrong aside from being a bit too clingy (how the hell did she find the party Banri was working at, though? The only person who knew he'd be there was Mitsuo, and he certainly wouldn't go out of his way to help Koko). So Banri ends up looking like a major shitlord who's lucky he's got a girlfriend as forgiving as Koko. But at least, in the end, Banri made everything right (even though by then it probably should have been too late to do so). I wonder if that's it for the stuff between him and Linda or if Ghost Banri is going to show up again and make the show less good.

And y'all nuts, Koko is obviously best.

Also, we damn well better get a new OP next week. I like this one just fine, but I'll take any reason for a new Yui Horie song. :D

That's part of what I meant! She went through a whole year of incredibly intense idol training, unlike anything the manager had ever seen.

I disagree with the manager's definition of "prodigy" though. You can dedicate your life and work incredibly hard at something and still be a prodigy if you're that talented. LeBron James could be the hardest working man in the world, that doesn't mean he's not a prodigy. Maybe she just wanted to teach the two of them about the work they have to put in if they really want to make it.

I think that's the gist of it. Let them peep to see where they have to be at to make it to Mizuki, the lost sister of Makoto.

Fate/Stay Night

Nice series. Lots of action. Goddamn the main guy
gets stabbed a lot
He's one of the worst main characters in tv anime ever (one of the worst white knights in anime!) and pretty much ruins the series all on his own, so yeah, no problem there.

Also, what's with Saber at the ending?
She goes back to her world, but tells her second in command that she's going to sleep for a long time? Her second in command asks if Saber is dreaming again? I don't get it. Does Saber die? Or does she go back to the main guy?
.... Uh, you've seriously never heard of King Arthur??

Also, Illya is a bitch. I prefer the magical girl version better.
F/SN Illya is insane. Fate/Kaleid Illya isn't. And yeah, non-crazy Illya is better for sure.

Log Horizon Episode 6

I am a bit confused. Why did he tell the girl to cough in response to his questions? The communication system is telepathy. Nobody can overhear it. So why not just have her use complete sentences? Or at least just answer yes or no normally.

I presume he was thinking that she'd probably speak out loud instead of just in her head, but yeah, the show does have logic flaws sometimes.

Log Horizon Episode 6

I am a bit confused. Why did he tell the girl to cough in response to his questions? The communication system is telepathy. Nobody can overhear it. So why not just have her use complete sentences? Or at least just answer yes or no normally.

You receive the words/sounds by telepathy , the sender however must speak for anything to be sent ...
Ask your log horizon questions ,i shall answer them all

it's like a voice chat , either character must speak

Precure AllStars New Stage 3 will provide even more fanservice than before by removing Cure Passion's pantyhose/leggings

QCyvE07.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova Episode 9
Oh god! I was wondering where those 2 were, shit just got real!

White Album 2 8

Calm before the storm. With the added bonus of seeing how nice a dream scenario would be for a possible OT3.

Shame it won't last with all the problems being hinted at.

Pretty funny how their friends already realized he made a mistake and should have picked best girl.

CorvoSol

You haven't seen the bottom of that rabbit hole yet Corvo-kun!

I'm sure Kaifun will berate me into seeing it.

The 08th MS Team 10

I'm dropping this show now, by the way. Why, you ask? Because this was the best episode it has. The Gouf Custom fight against the Gun EZ8 is as good as this show gets and it gets real bad, real fast from this point onward. The whole of this episode focusing on the Federation operation is good, probably as good as the show ever was, but the half focusing on Ginneas and the Apsalus is as dumb as Gundam gets.

Let me break it down for you:

Ginneas has killed like a million people just to build this thing which, again, is shaped like a turd with a Zaku's head slapped on and an anus where the cannon should be. He has killed commanding officers and so on for it. In this episode, after finishing the Apsalus he murders all of the scientists by poisoning them and then blowing them up with a grenade.

Why?

At some point people just start referring to the Apsalus as Ginneas' dream, but what is that dream? What does the Apsalus embody for Ginneas? Is it the power to crush the Federation? Why did he kill all the scientists who were helping him, and why was he so uninterested in the survival of his own unit? The same goes if the dream was for him to grow in power and fame in Zeon. It can't be world domination because he never once even mentions anything to that effect. Ginneas' motivations for building the Apsalus are never explored, even though he goes to stupid lengths to build the thing. And then it just gets blown up in its first sortie. Hell, the Apsalus has basically lost each time it sortied. When it got ambushed by the 08th team the first time one Gundam was all it took to make the pilot remark "You'll kill us both!" and there were still two other Gundams.

And the Gundams the 08th Team are using aren't even the same as the White Devil. They're like makeshift Gundams or what have you. And in one encounter they bring down the Apsalus. And then after losing his GUN EZ8's arm, Shiro's still going to bring the stupid thing down again.

Ginneas murders a bunch of people for a lump of metal that always fails, and pursues this obsession to the point that people call it his dream, but no motivation is ever given, and there isn't even any reason to believe the Apsalus should inspire the confidence in him, let alone his troops, that it does.

And this is why I hate Mobile Armors. Because they're always this exact same plot line, each and every time. The 08th MS Teams starts off as a good story about Gundam Viet Nam and has mobile suits fighting each other in guerrilla warfare and stuff, and ends up Romeo and Juliet slapped on the back of a Mobile Armor plot. It is my opinion that the change in directors lead to a considerable shift in tone and quality. Not quality of animation, mind you, but of plot.

If you haven't ever seen the 08th MS Team, though, I still highly recommend it. The first half is like all them war stories your daddy used to tell you, and even the second half is some gorgeous 2D mecha animation. You may find yourself much more receptive to the romance between Shiro and Aina than I was, in the which case you may find Shiro's behavior more commendable, and his lines more emotional than I did. By no means is the 08th MS Team a bad Gundam show. I just don't think it is quite up to snuff with the best of the best of the series. It is a very middle of the road experience which means that if you are less picky about what you watch than I am, you may well enjoy this show a great deal. So please, do yourself a favor and watch the 08th MS Team.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hello all. Question:

What does "fine" mean when used as the last word to appear at the end of a series?

Kill La Kill 12

WELL I HOPE YOU LIKE TAKING A BREAK WITH KILL LA KILL! CUZ THATS WHATS GOING ON THESE NEXT TWO WEEKS!

Also places were went that way, and Mako continues to be Ryuko's love interest. Also some good animation was had.

zeroshiki

To all (mostly just sonicmj1 or anyone who lives in the country):

Friday Roadshow tonight (12/20 9PM NTV network) will be showing The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki for the first time. Hosoda's previous stuff has gotten decent ratings before (12%-14%) and this is the premier weekly movie timeslot so I'm super excited and hope it does well.

Kill la Kill 12

Nui is dark and I love her for it.

Ryuko's
Zombie/Monster form was weird. Cool, but weird nonetheless

Mako proves yet again to be a good friend when she's actually being serious.

And Tsumugu remains a boss.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 4

When are they gonna get new outfits and start singing new songs? And when's that brunette going to join the fray?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 12:

Yea, that was worth the wait.
The portents came true, Nui Harime is indeed the one true killer of Issin Matoi. The revelations cause Ryuko to become the most hot blooded shonen protagonist ever and her hatred engulfs Senketsu as it changes into the monster they warned her it could become. While Nudist Beach aims to destroy the clothing once and for all, and Nui enjoys all of the senseless violence Lady Satsuki shall engage in her duty. I have noticed that Satsuki is rather like Doctor Doom in the sense that in spite of the fact that she is a mostly icy-hearted dictator with ambitions of world domination she genuinely cares, to a point anyway, about the welfare of her school. Her order to the Elite Four was to evacuate the students after all.

Still, that full showdown is delayed as Mako does the run-in of a lifetime to cement her status as the best character of the series and indeed Mako-Rykuo at the One True Pairing. Things that I really liked about that scene was the call back to Makotro, the subtle foreshadowing done last episode when Rykuo casually mentioned that Mako doing Mako things calmed her and soothed her and also some Spanish guitar. I think I can speak for most sane people when I say to Mako and Ryuko. JUST KISS ALREADY!

Satsuki is relived that the roaring rampage of revenge has ceased for the time being. I do wonder what the history between her and Nui as she is most displeased over her machinations and bars her from Honnouji Academy, but the Grand Courtier of the REVOCS Corporation will not be denied in her fun. I will also say thank god that Satsuki and Ryuko are not all chummy with each other, but now this has turned into a three way dance. I find it strange that Satsuki is trying to keep the heat she has with Ryuko on herself, telling her such lies and teasing her with more carrots of information.

Well, this arc has come to an end, and the next direction is one that I thought might come up, I think a lot of people her kind of forgot that before Ruyko became such a thorn in her side, Lady Satsuki was more concerned with battling this far off Kensai Academy for control of the educational system of Japan. Yes indeed our next arc shall introduce the other big players as it turns out Satsuki was playing on big Xanatos Gambit in order to strengthen her Academy and her Elite Four. It is time for the Battlefield Trip. I am puzzled as to where Ryuko stands in this affair. She is no friend of Satsuki but on the other hand Honnouji Academy is now her school and would she align with outsiders?

cnet128

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 12 END

Well, this series was a waste of everyone's time and KyoAni's considerable talent.

The action in this episode looked fluid and flashy, but I still didn't feel particularly impressed by it because it was just generic action. There was no real meaning to it, no particular cool style or twist to make it unique, it was just people killing monsters and stuff. All the animation in the world can't elevate meaningless, uninspired action very far.

I'm not going to say that this series was completely devoid of emotionally resonant moments, or that its characters are devoid of redeeming qualities or charm. They all have all of these things, just in depressingly small quantities that don't shine through anywhere near often enough.

The only moment in this episode at which I felt anything resembling a proper emotional connection was the very beginning when Akihito and Kuriyama are reunited. The rest of the emotional stuff in the episode just felt too generic and forced and I couldn't bring myself to care. Even the scene where
Kuriyama disappeared
, though I give it some credit for using some nice visual effects (
dem cracking legs
), still ultimately felt pretty empty because
characters disappearing from existence is a pretty generic trope in general, Kuriyama had already used it once, and there was nothing in the execution here to make it stand out from the crowd.
Plus
I never believed for a moment that the show would actually make her disappearance permanent this time either, so it didn't really mean much.

The one way this episode did surprise me, and not in a good way, was in
giving no explanation or justification for her reappearance at the end. After all that drama about her disappearing, twice, she was just back because...happy endings override even this show's convoluted logic? I don't know. Presumably there is some kind of explanation, but we weren't given it, which makes the TWEEST RETURN feel profoundly empty. "Surprise the heroine didn't actually disappear forever" as a twist is never going to surprise anyone in and of itself, so the surprise has to come from the clever justification. If you just throw it in there without bothering to mention any justification, then you fail at storytelling forever.

Oh, and Kuriyama, I know "fuyukai desu" is your catchphrase and stuff, but you don't have to find a way to work it into every goddamn line you say. Seriously. Stop doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom