• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Log Horizon seems much better. I'm on episode six I believe. The pacing seems infinitely better. There seem to be a couple holes/things not explained (Why was the monk dude so obsessed with the little girl? Are the communicators telepathic or voice? Cough cough. Is there a penalty for dying? You mean to tell me no one tried cooking the old fashioned way after they realized everything tasted like garbage?), but it's very neat with characters that serve a purpose besides falling in love with the hero.

Samurai Flamenco 11

So we're going full on Sentai here? I'm down. Totally ready for Monster of the Week action.

Previously, I'd only watched the first episode of the series, and found it pretty boring. But after hearing people talk about it, I gave the rest of it a shot. I caught up on it between yesterday and today. It was actually much more entertaining after the first episode, and shit got amazing with ep 11.

Jintor

Log Horizon seems much better. I'm on episode six I believe. The pacing seems infinitely better. There seem to be a couple holes/things not explained (Why was the monk dude so obsessed with the little girl? Are the communicators telepathic or voice? Cough cough. Is there a penalty for dying? You mean to tell me no one tried cooking the old fashioned way after they realized everything tasted like garbage?), but it's very neat with characters that serve a purpose besides falling in love with the hero.

Dude's a creep, communication is telepathic but it's treated very inconsistently, there's no penalty for dying afaik (according to the show anyway) - I don't even know if you drop your gear, and people did try cooking but apparently nobody had sufficient skill level to actually cook anything decent via the real method until Kaicho worked it out since he maxed out chef skill.

cj_iwakura

I see. Oh, and for once the hero isn't a swordsman. Thank God for that.

Jude in Tales of Xillia being a med student is a nice change of pace, but why not go the full nine and have him be a healer? Maybe too ballsy to have a protagonist be that non-combative.

CorvoSol

:0

So I finished watching the OG: Mobile Suit Gundamoo.

It was 75% draaag, 25% awesome. Especially Char's crowning achievement.

My GOD. That was just beautiful.

What comes next?

Chronologically Stardust Memory takes place after MSG. You may also consider watching The 08th MS Team and War in the Pocket, both of which take place during the events of MSG and are highly regarded.

In terms of production order, Zeta Gundam is next, but 0083: Stardust Memory takes place between MSG and Zeta.

Log Horizon 1-9

Since thus far this show lacks a creepy incest sub-plot, poorly written villains, and an awful female love interest, it is undoubtedly better than Sword Art Online. However, with death not being permanent it gets a little hard to care about any battle. Why do people fear being sent to the Cathedral so much exactly? Just store all your shit in the bank and then when you die they can't even take shit off you.

cnet128

Banned
Kill la Kill 12

There are no words for the quantity of shit that went down this episode. No words other than
Mako da gawd.

Quasar

Log Horizon 1-9

Since thus far this show lacks a creepy incest sub-plot, poorly written villains, and an awful female love interest, it is undoubtedly better than Sword Art Online. However, with death not being permanent it gets a little hard to care about any battle. Why do people fear being sent to the Cathedral so much exactly? Just store all your shit in the bank and then when you die they can't even take shit off you.

I had that view to start with, but really...its not like in other shows I really thought the protagonist was in real peril. Of course I never really had much interest in the combat. I'd be just as happy with those excised and me getting more talky scenes.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Episode 3 (4?) of AoT, the one where they were eating in the cafeteria or something, and they fucking tweened Mikasa so she looked like she was moving was the moment I realized that the AoT creators didn't value my time so I shouldn't be wasting it on them.

errr they didnt have time to value your time, you can cut them some slack, well the animators atleast, grief all the animation stuff to the manager of the project

CorvoSol

errr they didnt have time to value your time, you can cut them some slack, well the animators atleast, grief all the animation stuff to the manager of the project

I cooooooooould, but being an asympathetic jerk about how awful that anime turned out seems more in character for me.

Consistency!

foxuzamaki

Episode actually stuck out to me because I cannot name a single clip show in any other episode thus far. Araragi recaps stuff all the time, sure, but an entire episode had not been dedicated to reusing footage until this very moment.

Jeez I can't imagine what it was like when this aired. "Super awesome emotional high and turning point in Araragi and Tsubasa's relationship this week!" Next week. "CLIP. SHOW."

Clip shows are the "You lose 1 turn, go back 2 spaces" of anime.

yeah theres like 3 clip shows at the end of each arc, ironically in this current arc we didnt get any clip show before jumping right in from the last arc

CorvoSol

yeah theres like 3 clip shows at the end of each arc, ironically in this current arc we didnt get any clip show before jumping right in from the last arc

Clip shows blow. You can't skip 'em in Utena, but the only ones I've ever found enjoyable were the ones in Martian Successor Nadesico.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 12

That thing we all knew would happen FINALLY happened! Hooray!
I really hope this show doesn't go back to the school fighting again now that we've had this happen.

Anyway, good episode. Hype mostly justified. I still feel like, pacing-wise, it took too long to get to this point, but the episode itself delivered.
Although it might've been even stronger if Ryuko were developed a little more so I felt more afraid for her when she went berserk. Nui's hair being totally different in Ryuko's flashback still bothers me, don't know if that's a plot point or some bizarre oversight.

Ryuko and Satsuki are definitely teaming up at some point to go after the mum.

Mako > All

Clip shows blow. You can't skip 'em in Utena, but the only ones I've ever found enjoyable were the ones in Martian Successor Nadesico.

The clip episodes in Utena blew my mind.

I had that view to start with, but really...its not like in other shows I really thought the protagonist was in real peril. Of course I never really had much interest in the combat. I'd be just as happy with those excised and me getting more talky scenes.

Well the protagonist is never in danger. But it would be nice if a side character died. I'm spoiled by shows like Fate/Zero and Madoka I guess.

Jintor

This will actually get addressed in this arc.

Sweet.

My solution would've been for players to have lives, and to get more lives you need to spend a shittonne of gold, escalating per extra life you need to buy. Would've made for some direction with the money hording. But I'm interested to see where LH takes it.

Log Horizon 1-9

Death doesn't erase pain.

And your bank idea doesn't work .
Are you suposed to hunt with your bare hands ? And what about the loot of your hunts , when you're walking back to the city ?

I know. :(

Also Shiroe adjusts his glasses too much.

He doesn't do it even remotely enough.

Sweet.

My solution would've been for players to have lives, and to get more lives you need to spend a shittonne of gold, escalating per extra life you need to buy. Would've made for some direction with the money hording. But I'm interested to see where LH takes it.

I dunno about "adressed" but LH will certainly put things into perspective regarding death .

Are you suposed to hunt with your bare hands ?

Yes. Switch to the monk class. Didn't pick a monk and can't switch? Serves you right for not picking the monk class.

And yeah death doesn't erase pain, but so what? Characters being in pain doesn't create drama that permanent character death can. I feel like there need to be actual consequences for me to care about what happens to the characters.

zeroshiki

Well, I would if I cared about that as a consumer. Its the studio's fault for going behind schedule. I won't cut them slack for mismanagement especially for a scene so throwaway and so early in the series. I only see what is presented in front of me and that scene looked like something out of a Macromedia Flash nightmare.

Einbroch

Banned
Sweet.

If there is a penalty, I would hope it would be something a little deeper than that. Something not apparent but given enough deaths or time it would reveal itself, since so early on after the apocalypse no one has noticed anything.

What that could be, I don't know. Hopefully something sinister.

Jintor

If there is a penalty, I would hope it would be something a little deeper than that. Something not apparent but given enough deaths or time it would reveal itself, since so early on after the apocalypse no one has noticed anything.

What that could be, I don't know. Hopefully something sinister.

Well, this would've been in terms of game mechanics, not in service of story. I'm sure story could be worse.

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 12

This is the episode I've been waiting a long, long time for. Best one yet.

Oh god, what do they have in store for Nui going forward? More than everything else (and the wheels are beginning to move now, so that's a lot), that's what I want to see. Girl is psychotic and terrifying.

Yes. Switch to the monk class. Didn't pick a monk and can't switch? Serves you right for not picking the monk class.

And yeah death doesn't erase pain, but so what? Characters being in pain doesn't create drama that permanent character death can.

Why are you looking for drama on that aspect ? They set from the start that death is not an issue to focus on something else. Death is not a problem for adventurers , end of story.. you can create drama in other ways .. THEY WILL DO THAT, they have already in the first arc.

I assume that you're joking with the class switch, who said that you even can do that ?
Even if they can , having everyone turning monks would be a real problem , not only it would be boring , but it wouldn't even make sense.

Pain is much more serious than you seem to think , why do you think that guild in ep 4 managed to reign supreme unchecked , why did nobody say " screw that " and quit ?
Because you can feel pain , even if you HP is not near 0 , meaning that torture is possible , kidnapping , molesting is possible and plenty of other bypass that they have shown since you are at ep 9 already.
Why do you think the beginners don't revolt ?Think they haven't tried ? They have ..
The whole point of the hamelin guild problem is that even if you can't die , there are a lot of ways to inflict physical and mental damage , one of the main reason why shiroe tried to make the round table is that this is an issue BIG ENOUGH that they need strong rules to keep everyone in check.

All your assumptions and questions about the show have been so far anwered by the show already.

Putting your gear in the bank ? So you can suffer during 2+ hours paralysed while your Hp slowing depletes in front of a strong foe and being unable to do anything ? Nice idea

cajunator

Banned
Log Horizon 1-9

Truthfully, Sword Art online did attempt to add some interesting drama/danger to the show by allowing characters to die. However it fully squandered all the potential with literally every other element.

foxuzamaki

gurren lagann's clipshow was pretty cool and avatar the last airender had a really unique "clip show"

Why are you looking for drama on that aspect?

Because at worst if Shiroe ever fucks up a plan (does he ever, or is he basically perfect) the worst that happens if everyone gets sent to cathedral and he tries again. Or there might be temporary social consequences. But there does not seem to be such a thing as permanent consequences, which means there really isn't a way for the hero to ever fail meaningfully.

And yes, I get that pain can be a problem for unimportant characters that the hero has to save. But it doesn't make the hero's life dramatic.

Aikatsu! 7

For once, Ichigo isn't the one fucking up! I was actually feeling good about that too. I mean I get Ichigo is the lead, but man...

Apparently, Aoi lives by the internet too much, and this episode is telling you that the internet will make you into someone you are not, so that's probably why reading gaming topics is close to reading Youtube comments these days.

The other thing is that JANITOR DUDE is really creepy. I don't know "evil" creepy, I mean stalker creepy.

kOtoj4T.jpg

Infinite Stratos S2 12

What a weak final episode.

I'm just left exasperated after a finale that included mediocre fights, a stupid conflict involving a bomb on a train, a really apparent and almost confusing skipped scene with Houki, censoring (White blood? Seriously?), and a completely pointless hot spring hijinks to end the show.

Don't even know why they have Big Sis Russia in the ending. She may like him in the LN, but nothing really happened between them after Kanzashi was included.

And now that the season is over, all I'm left with is disappointment and hate over how evidently lazy S2 was made.

I hate how everything from the animation to the characters looked low quality, with the minimalist of effort made. I hate how the majority of the filler episodes were shit (Charl panties/Cecilia cooking) and would make Studio Pierrot's look like masterpieces. I hate how badly the fight scenes were done. I never even gave a damn about the fights back in S1, but I'm pretty sure they weren't this awful. I still hate Ichika for being one of the densest leads of all time. I hate how they made all the girls in the harem even stupider. I even hate how they actually made me feel sorry for Rin over how completely screwed she was this season.

You know what I did like? Tatenashi. She was a refreshing change of pace during the early half of the season and it became really evident how the quality of the show declined after her screentime disappeared. I liked my Chifuyu and Houki scenes as well, but everyone becomes excited when their favorite girls appears. Also, I do think episodes 1 & 5 were the best and anyone wanting to watch this season should save themselves the trouble and just watch those two episodes.

Final Girl Ranking

Chifuyu > Houki = Tatenashi > Charl > Laura > Kanzashi > Maya > Rin > Cecilia

4/10 Subpar. If Japan has any taste at all, Volume 2 will bomb and a S3 will not be made.

Lain

Kill la Kill 12

A bit disappointed by how the battle ended. I wanted
Nui to get bitchslapped some, instead Matoi is the one that was badly hurt.
At least Mako, as usual, did something awesome and amazing. She's able to bring even lackluster episodes out of their mediocrity and into awesome territory.
/bow based Mako.

Valvrave 23

Figured Yamada Thunder would be the next to go. Wish he could have taken Q-vier with him. Looks like Unit II will finally be shown for the season finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom