• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I was amused that Araragi had the same reaction to young Hanekawa that Shinobu had to young Araragi. Peas in a pod as it were.

Gazoinks

The whole concept of being trapped in an MMO intrigues me and how people would live their lives inside the virtual world compared to the real. Sounds like it could get more interesting, I'll give it another shot. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Then I'd definitely recommend checking out some more of Log Horizon. It seems like it's specifically putting a focus on how people live in the world, rebuilding society and such instead of just going to defeat the bad guy (or ghost sentient AI PK whatever in the case of .hack).

Theonik

So... does anybody know how to play blurays on MPCHC?
What you can do is thus:
Get something like this
Just open on MPC-HC. The free version will only work with SOME disks.
Also you will get no menus as MPC-HC doesn't support them

I just get a progress bar with no picture or sound :\
This is because MPC-HC doesn't support AACS decryption without a plug-in. The thing I posted above will work around the need for it by doing on-the-fly decryption on the driver level. It will also strip region-locks I think.
DO NOTE:
For MPC you need to get a DTSHDMA decoder ddl if you are using LAV (only option) if you want to listen to that soundtrack and not the core DTS track contained within.

You can also try opening one of the files directly on the disc via explorer.
Won't work because the disks are encrypted.

Bombless

Good points. You gotta hand it to Koko for
Even going back to Banri's apartment in the first place. I was a little surprised myself she even took the key, then actually being there at the end.

I think someone mentioned this early, but how the hell did she even find them at the party? Maybe the manga shed more light on this.

When Banri checks all the messages she left on his phone, the last one says she went to the matsuri club training room. There might have been a recruitment/invitation flyer for the party there.

Great episode, and I also was surprised by Koko's reaction beyond the initial gesture. And while Linda
lies
in that final scene, so does Banri.

Are there seriously people rooting for Linda? Really? Are these people really afraid of girls with character or something?

If Linda "wins" I swear I am dropping all romance anime forever. I still have scars left over from True Tears. Don't do this to me again.

Girls with character? So far it seems Linda has the most 'character' as Koko is literally the obsessive and clingy archetype.

When Banri checks all the messages she left on his phone, the last one says she went to the matsuri club training room. There might have been a recruitment/invitation flyer for the party there.

Great episode, and I also was surprised by Koko's reaction beyond the initial gesture. And while Linda
lies
in that final scene, so does Banri.

Aha, good call. Yeah, it's feasable there would be a flyer there.

Also,
so much lying :(
I really enjoy this series, glad we have 12 more to go.

Heh.

I tried a sampling of the manga version. The sibling relationship certainly is bolder than I'm used to for this kind of thing.
Yeah, the incest-bait is all over this series, for sure. Unpleasant stuff, with how much the sister loves her brother the MC.

Otherwise though found it a kind of enjoyable, but unoriginal magical school story. And currently for that I have Tokyo Ravens, which has the great advantage of having Kon.
They are both magic-school shows, but the Mahouka MC gets, as I said, absolutely insanely overpowered later in the series, from what I've read... though it's more like he always had a lot of power but doesn't show it. If you read the last translated arc in the manga, there's some suggestion of what he can do. I think it's quite stupid to have a guy that strong and then have him be all accepting of his second-class status, relegated to tier 2 because "his magic works differently from how the system rates people", etc. It's an incredibly contrived situation that only really exists in order to make the MC look like an "underdog" when really he isn't at all. Oh yeah, and he's not only quite smart and very magically powerful, he's also a great martial artist. Of course he also has no discernible sexual feelings, but hey, that's par for the course for harem MCs. But yeah, serious wish-fulfillment and incestbait going on in this series. The anime will probably be reasonably popular as a result. :p

Theonik

Infinite Stratos S2 12
itSwc8kVQejJa.png

"There is this bomb that's exploding in 10 minutes so I will join you in your bomb soon"
Such creamy shit. Glad this is over but my suffering probably isn't nearly done.

Crocodile

Kill la Kill 12

sunny20dd.gif

Let me tell you two things

A) I judge episodes of action shows by how much they make me want to go out and fight people

B) I want to take a bat, go out into the streets and start a brawl. MY BLOOD IS BOILING!

Samurai Flamenco 11

tumblr_mb641bl1Iz1r1guvio1_500.gif

Nothing about how the show has progressed from episode 1 to here feels like it flows or make sense. It's not like I have any aversion to mech shows or super sentai shows; I've seen many of them and enjoyed plenty of them. I just don't feel this show has handled the transition from the "grounded" to the absurd at all well. I can understand if people like the show because "its so bad its good" but people whose opinion I respect with regards to anime seem to think the show is LEGIT good, not ironically good. Different strokes for different folks so I'm not at all criticizing people who legit like this (more power to you) but my brain can't reconcile this :( I'd be shocked if by the end of this all the show didn't end up on "the LIST".

I will say that I liked the song that played when they combined and I had a few "this is the dumbest shit" chuckles.

Log Horizon 1-4

I watched the first episode and didn't think much of it. Kept seeing a lot of praise for it so I decided to give it another go. I think there are a fair number of good qualities of the show. I like that they didn't go with another swordsman, hot-blooded protagonist. Shiroe gives me strong Shikamaru vibes and I like that. His plans are intricate and interesting but probably a bit overwrought and since they require so much time to explain hurt the pacing a bit. I'd appreacite a bit more showing and less telling. I like that they fully embrace the MMORPG mechanics to not only their benefit but to such a degree that the show couldn't just be in a normal fantasy world. I do hope they eventually address the whole "how did we get stuck in here" and "how do we get out" questions at some point. Unlike garbage like SAO, the show is clearly interested in telling a respectable story with a balanced cast of competent characters. THERE IS ACTUAL TEAMWORK, HOLY SHIT THAT'S RARE IN SHONEN!

So yeah there are a fair number of positive qualities about the show. I will say though I don't think the show is super engaging or interesting in spite of how it goes against the grain in certain respects. Granted I've only seen a few episodes but I was never really left chomping at the bit to see more. I'll def watch more of this but I'm in no rush. If I felt this show was amazing, I would have already finished what is out by now. Also the art and character designs are SO GENERIC :( Like "my first anime characters" from a random Deviantart (not to slight the place as there are talented individuals there but you know what I mean) poster generic. Also they harp on the "cute" a bit much with Akatsuki and every time Serara opened her mouth I wanted t jab a Q-Tip through my tympanic membrane :/

jgminto

Valvrave 23

Poor
Thunder, you were my favourite of all the valvrave pilots. Blitzendegen In Peace.

I really hope Shoko gets what's coming to her.

Erigu

Episode actually stuck out to me because I cannot name a single clip show in any other episode thus far. Araragi recaps stuff all the time, sure, but an entire episode had not been dedicated to reusing footage until this very moment.
There was one such episode during Bakemonogatari, actually (and fairly early on, too). People have mostly forgotten about it though.

Because at worst if Shiroe ever fucks up a plan (does he ever, or is he basically perfect) the worst that happens if everyone gets sent to cathedral and he tries again. Or there might be temporary social consequences. But there does not seem to be such a thing as permanent consequences, which means there really isn't a way for the hero to ever fail meaningfully.

And yes, I get that pain can be a problem for unimportant characters that the hero has to save. But it doesn't make the hero's life dramatic.
On that particular point , well the anime gonna give you a hopefully satisfactory answer.

Are there seriously people rooting for Linda? Really? Are these people really afraid of girls with character or something?

If Linda "wins" I swear I am dropping all romance anime forever. I still have scars left over from True Tears. Don't do this to me again.
Truth. So much truth right there
Why would you remind me about True Tears AAAAAAAAAA.
Because we must'nt forget ...Never forget how true tears ended.
Those are "true tears" coming from my soul.
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova Episode 11
Oh man, its getting so good, plus it ends on my favorite ending of this show, good fucking stuff, why did it have to be a 1 cour show :( does anyone know if this caught up with the manga or anything?

Anime stopped following the manga at .... episode 3 .manga & anime does have some common events afterwars but with different characters

sonicmj1

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the world of anime, just started during the summer this year when I was bored. Looking for suggestions on what to watch now that I'm on winter break between semesters.

Here is what i've watched so far:
Girls und Panzer
K-On! & K-On!!
Kokoro Connect
Lucky Star
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica & the third movie
Neon Genesis Evangelion
NHK ni Youkoso!
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Sword Art Online
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I'm currently watching Kill La Kill and enjoying it. However, I'm only watching whatever is the current free episode on crunchyroll so I'm a week behind.

I've watched all of SAO and I didn't find it as bad as some of you found it. I played WoW really hardcore during it's first two or three years so the concept of the show really appealed to be. The first half of SAO was pretty good but the second half of the SAO was really bad.

My favourites so far have been Madoka and NHK. The cutesy nature of Madoka initially turned me off but after the third episode I was hooked. NHK's exploration of social anxieties and depression was so different from the other anime that I've watched and I found it really interesting to see how the main character would escape his anxieties.

Oh, I also just finished A Link Between Worlds. Totally deserving of Gamespots GOTY imo.

I personally haven't watched NHK, but if you want more psychologically-focused shows, I can't recommend the recent Flowers of Evil highly enough. Trapeze, as well as (to an extent) Tatami Galaxy, also come to mind.

I'd also consider Paranoia Agent and Revolutionary Girl Utena (can't go wrong with Utena unless you hate symbolism!).

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asu Kara 12

Oh boy, this massive love polygon drama is really coming to a head now. Well, I say polygon, it's really a love line just like back in NatsuMachi. Only difference is, we have guys at each end of the line instead of girls this time.

...Come to think of it, this analogy would make Hikari the show's Kanna. I can't see him getting screwed over completely like she did, though. And Tsumugu is a better choice than Ichika any day.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Fine is also a legit (though obsolete) way to say fin. More commonly used in music though.

If we're talking about Galilei Donna, since it uses a _lot_ of gratuitous Italian, i'd like to point out that 'fine' means 'end' in italian.

Hunter X Hunter 80

Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed. This anime is great, by the way. Thanks for recommending it. Fuck this though. And apparently CR comments are saying it gets even worse. :|

Thanks for the impressions! Now I finally have an episode to look forward to for this show!

cajunator

Banned
Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashii n da ga. PV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLDtLLWyL4

Sora no Otoshimono Final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeNsRS01ca4

Patlabor live action movie teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18n7aVVk0WU

New live action Kenshin trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45l5r9lPnk8

First one looks generic and stupid. The girl is kind of cute.

second is SNO. it will be awesome.

third is whatever

live action Kenshin could be interesting and probablypretty weird.

Fox318

What kind of Japanese woman is named Linda anyway?

To be fair with Linda we still don't know what happened with Banri accident and what Linda knows about how it happened. I wouldn't be surprised if Linda is lying about saying yes to him.

Kansoku

Panty & Stocking with Piles of high speed shit - Ep.1
What did I just watch?

Panty & Stocking with Vespiqueen movie - Ep. 2
I love the way they finish the Ghosts.
Also nice jab at M. Night Shamalyanman (I can't get his name right e.e).

And let it be stated that Stocking > All and that Panty's perversion kinda bothers me.

Panty & Stocking with Noir Riding Hood - Ep. 3
Eh.

Panty & Stocking with Fat Underwear - Ep. 4
The first half was fun, but the second was pretty meh. These stuff feel cheesy and not funny at all. I might be watching the wrong anime.

Panty & Stocking with Boogerman vs. Spewer - Ep. 5
Shit man? Done.
Booger man? Done.
Vomit man? Done.
Now only piss man is missing.

Theonik

Yozakura Quartet 08
A nice quiet episode for a change focusing on the aftermath of the things that went down last episode.
Still very fun and some proper introduction for the things that are to come.

Valvrave - 23
6dt0.png

My thoughts:
a) Saki is so much better girl than Shouko that it's not even funny. Haruto make the correct choice (Sadly you won't)
b) L-elf is the boss

So pretty much normal episode.

OceanBlue

My god, you really blew through this. 80 episodes in 3 days is something I could never do these days.

So yeah, if anyone is on the fence about Hunter x Hunter, you can easily see how awesome it is if people are willing to watch so much of it in a short period of time.

Wow you watching 80 eps in like 2 days?
LOL

But its sure worth it doe.
Lol, I'm just a college kid with too much free time at his parents' house for the holidays :p. The show is seriously good though. I was planning on watching other shows but I ended up getting hooked on this one.

You poor soul
Great, it does get worse. :(

Thanks for the impressions! Now I finally have an episode to look forward to for this show!
Sorry, I don't usually post impressions and I didn't want to stop watching the show, lol. If I remember correctly, you're at episode 30? If I remember correctly, I think I was feeling a bit meh at the show at that point because I felt as if most of the Hunter Exam felt kinda unimportant to the rest of the show. The Hunter Exam was a bit to slow for me.

Honestly, that post was probably me making a big hassle out of nothing. If you really want show-defining moments, I'd say you
have to wait until the characters reach Yorknew. The Heaven's Arena arc is good but Yorknew is when shit gets real.
I don't think I'm really spoiling anything but I'm spoiling it in case you want to be pure. :D

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Caught up on Gundam Build Fighters.

Episode 11 was some amazing shit. Dat
NTR
Alliance. So many good scenes in this episode.

Truly the best Gundam TV series ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom