• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Can someone find a link to last years vote post that I can use as a template? I tried to find it using search but failed.

Do you mean the voting thread from last year? If you meant just a general rules post then Articalys's first post outlines that anyway.

These are the same people who think Skyward Sword was a terrible video game.

I just thought of it the other day that it seems kind of fast that Skyward Sword has already been out for a little over a couple years now.

I feel like Zelda isn't damaged at all. I feel like Zelda fans just whine about anything. Like yeah, Skyward Sword had some issues, but I still love that game to bits. Link Between Worlds is goddamn stellar and it JUST came out but now Nintendo announces some crazy new thing and it's all "NOOOOOO END OF TIMES ZELDA IS DOOMED WHAT ABOUT THE ART!?"

I like Skyward Sword despite its problems as well. If more Nintendo games using motion control were closer to that of SS, then I think they would have made a better case for them rather then them coming across as largely pointless or gimmicky. The final boss is one of the easiest in gaming but with the control style I just think he's fun to play against.

I really feel like the lower world sections of Skyward Sword are the best 3D Zelda has ever offered from a gameplay standpoint. Wind Waker and Majora are my favorites, and Ocarina is classic, but I really do think that if the whole of Skyward Sword had been as tight-knit and well polished as those three realms, it would've been my favorite Zelda ever.

I stopped counting after I beat Ocarina of Time for the fourteenth time,haha. Definitely loved that game. I've really liked all the Zelda games I've played.

This reminds me of when I took a look at Bungie's forums around the launch of Halo 3. There were a bunch of people complaining that the free for all mode only had five players and it was hard to find anyone, with the maps feeling like ghost towns. They even said as a sequel it came across as inferior because Halo 2 had eight players. Bungie upped it to six players and then there were all kinds of complaints that was too many and the maps were overcrowded, you could hardly turn a corner without bumping into someone.

Some of it was just exchanging one vocal party for another but for some you could see it was the same members in both. It's cases like that that it's no wonder why companies sometimes want to just tune out the fans and do their own thing.

This picture is pretty amazing. I wonder what Mana would be like if
Hitomi Nabatame
used her deeper voice just like for Akane or Touma Kazusa. I could definitely see the girls falling for her then,haha.

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 01-06

Also I noticed the main character is voiced by the same actress that does Yoshika Miyafuji in Strike Witches. I'd recognize that "Ikenacha" everywhere. Kinda made me want to re-watch the Strike Witches movie again

That's Misato Fukuen. I like her voice work. :)
Personally after watching Smile PreCure! just about every week for a year, I still think of Miyuki/Cure Happy when I hear her voice. She also does the voice of Rika, the scientist girl, in Haganai.

Qwaser of the Stigmata 01

Is this an exchange where Chet is watching something as well or just one sided?

Crocodile

Yozakura Quartet BD menus

Can someone explain to me what is the deal with the Japanese and underwear? I mean its not like the East vs. West appreciate T & A any less or more than the other but there seems to be some sort of obsession with underwear in Japan I'll never get. Like I understand why tentacles, as fucked up as they are, are a thing there because fucked up censorship laws against genitalia forced artists to be "creative" in the past and the trope kind of stuck (or at least that's what I remember being told at some point) but what's the deal with underwear?

jman2050

Can someone explain to me what is the deal with the Japanese and underwear? I mean its not like the East vs. West appreciate T & A any less or more than the other but there seems to be some sort of obsession with underwear in Japan I'll never get. Like I understand why tentacles, as fucked up as they are, are a thing there because fucked up censorship laws against genitalia forced artists to be "creative" in the past and the trope kind of stuck (or at least that's what I remember being told at some point) but what's the deal with underwear?

The explanation I was given was something to the effect of: underwear as we know it wasn't even a thing in Japan until the west brought it over after world war 2 and given Japan's not-so-secret obsession with fetishizing western influences and culture it was only natural that underwear would be become an obvious focal point.

This might be hilariously oversimplified but that's how I recall it.

I thought the tentacle obsession was because of Fisherman's Wife.

Theonik

I approve.

There are some sexually deprived people on the staff.
Your face.

That's Misato Fukuen. I like her voice work. :)
Personally after watching Smile PreCure! just about every week for a year, I still think of Miyuki/Cure Happy when I hear her voice. She also does the voice of Rika, the scientist girl, in Haganai.

Is this an exchange where Chet is watching something as well or just one sided?
For me I instantly think Miyafuji in this case because she has a scene just like in that episode on the Strike Witches movie same line and delivery and everything. For your second question refer to:
Hopefully the other party follows their fluffy part of the agreement.

Allow Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga to teach you all about pantsu!
http://i.minus.com/i61cakcsME4qQ.jpg

CorvoSol

I just thought of it the other day that it seems kind of fast that Skyward Sword has already been out for a little over a couple years now.

I like Skyward Sword despite its problems as well. If more Nintendo games using motion control were closer to that of SS, then I think they would have made a better case for them rather then them coming across as largely pointless or gimmicky. The final boss is one of the easiest in gaming but with the control style I just think he's fun to play against.

I stopped counting after I beat Ocarina of Time for the fourteenth time,haha. Definitely loved that game. I've really liked all the Zelda games I've played.

?

I am also a huge sucker for the emotional points in Zelda games, like Wind Waker's ending or Zelda's confession in Skyward Sword.

duckroll

I feel like making a detailed post about why I enjoy Samurai Flamenco so much, mostly because I've noticed two things week after week. There are those watching who dislike the show for various reasons, there are those watching who enjoy the show quite a bit, and there are those watching because its "so stupid its awesome" or whatever, but there isn't a lot of reflection on what the people who enjoy it like specifically. So I think I'll do some reflection.

First off, I'll say that the show has completely betrayed all my expectations of it many times now. I've had theories and ideas about where the show was going and what sort of story it's been trying to tell, and I've been wrong every single time. But in spite of that, I'm not annoyed or disappointed, because every week the show is really enjoyable for me. It's funny, it's witty, and it's filled with ideas which I approve of, even if I did not expect. Why? Because I think the show does a great job of putting what it wants to do above all else, and I like what I see.

What attracted me to Samurai Flamenco in the first place was the characters. The show features a cast of varied adult characters in the working world, and it started off as a character drama with some silly hero overtones. It was relatively grounded and I found the dialogue to be really sharp. I love the way conversations are written because they talk like real people, and more importantly they talk about things real people talk about. Sometimes it's mundane and random, sometimes it's about a current event, but it's the sort of interactions which real people have.

Even 11 episodes into the show with all the crazy stuff going on, I don't feel that has changed at all. The tone has certainly changed a lot, but the characters are still written to be people - except people who are somehow trapped in this ridiculous scenario which has no basis in reality, but sometimes they still stop and ponder about that before being driven towards the next ridiculous scene. But these scenes are entertaining and often funny.

Watching the various characters react like normal people at certain points, only to have no issues with snapping into their "role" as required by the scenario at times is definitely a huge disconnect, but that's also part of what makes the show interesting to me. The contrast makes the entire setting less real, but it also makes fun of flaws and shortcomings of the works they are parodying without actually insulting the nature of the works. It's a celebration of cheese while acknowledging the silly parts of it.

I think there's a lot in common between Samurai Flamenco's narrative flow and Edgar Wright's comedies or an even better example would be Cabin in the Woods. It's the show which promises certain things in a misleading way, turns out to be something you don't quite expect, and then escalates it more and more in really ridiculous ways, while keeping everyone in character. It's certainly not the sort of show I've seen in anime much at all, so it's very refreshing that someone even had an idea like this. :)

Precure Musou might truly be a thing.

At least unlike Zelda , they already have the universe to use , the ennemy types ( fuzaina, kuwainas , and so on ) and the bosses to use in such a title. would be fun to play with the right team behind.

If they do something like in Warrior orochi 3 ( 3 characters you can swap on the go ) my team would be :
-Cure Moonlight
-Milky Rose
-Cure Heart

What do you mean , "my team is overpowered "?

I don't think Zelda is exactly as difficult as you are making it out to be.

Still hoping it's actually Nintendo Musou and not just Zelda.

/XX/

THE ART OF The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya was supposed to come out today (December, 20 in Japan). Saw that it was delayed. Panicked a little thinking on how all things related to this film are always delayed. Later saw that the new release date is December, 24. Felt immediately relieved. Not so bad after all:

Amazon.co.jp: ジ・アート・オブ かぐや姫の物語: 本
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4198100160/

Seeing such beautifully crafted art on each still, that even not in movement is so meritorious to achieve, must present this as one of the worthiest artbooks for an animated film... don't you think?
Yeah, that is me searching for the consolation of this being the only way of watching, having anything from this movie, for a long time to come.

Nobody seems to know why this is the case and it is making the Kill la Kill thread hard to read, so many Spoilers, NO!
Last time I went to the thread there was constant bickering about something... I think it was scantly battle robes being too distracting, or distasteful, or something like that. Did that discussion calm down? I had enough at that time, and I'm too scared now to enter again!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
On that particular point , well the anime gonna give you a hopefully satisfactory answer.

Truth. So much truth right there

Because we must'nt forget ...Never forget how true tears ended.
Those are "true tears" coming from my soul.

Anime stopped following the manga at .... episode 3 .manga & anime does have some common events afterwars but with different characters

That's a bit disappointing

foxuzamaki

I am also a huge sucker for the emotional points in Zelda games, like Wind Waker's ending or Zelda's confession in Skyward Sword.

I also highly enjoyed skyward sword, twilight princess is still my favorite though, still stumps me on how people can downright hate TP

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
THE ART OF The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya was supposed to come out today (December, 20 in Japan). Saw that it was delayed. Panicked a little thinking on how all things related to this film are always delayed. Saw that the new release date is December, 24. Felt immediately relieved. Not so bad after all:

Amazon.co.jp: ジ・アート・オブ かぐや姫の物語: 本
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4198100160/

Seeing such beautifully crafted art on each still, that even not in movement is so meritorious to achieve, must present this as one of the worthiest artbooks for an animated film... don't you think?
Yeah, that is me searching for the consolation of this being the only way of watching anything about this movie, for the moment.

Last time I went to the thread there was constant bickering about something... I think it was scantly battle robes being too distracting, or distasteful, or something like that. Did that discussion calm down? I had enough at that time, and I'm too scared now to enter again!

Right now we are discussing the merits or demerits of the latest arc.

foxuzamaki

Do have to say, someone earlier described KLK's latest episode as a eoisode tht made you want to go out in the street and start a mothafuckin brawl, that's the exact feeling I had, I wanted to fuck shit up, and then serve satsuki-sama for eternity.

I feel like making a detailed post about why I enjoy Samurai Flamenco so much, mostly because I've noticed two things week after week. There are those watching who dislike the show for various reasons, there are those watching who enjoy the show quite a bit, and there are those watching because its "so stupid its awesome" or whatever, but there isn't a lot of reflection on what the people who enjoy it like specifically. So I think I'll do some reflection.

First off, I'll say that the show has completely betrayed all my expectations of it many times now. I've had theories and ideas about where the show was going and what sort of story it's been trying to tell, and I've been wrong every single time. But in spite of that, I'm not annoyed or disappointed, because every week the show is really enjoyable for me. It's funny, it's witty, and it's filled with ideas which I approve of, even if I did not expect. Why? Because I think the show does a great job of putting what it wants to do above all else, and I like what I see.

What attracted me to Samurai Flamenco in the first place was the characters. The show features a cast of varied adult characters in the working world, and it started off as a character drama with some silly hero overtones. It was relatively grounded and I found the dialogue to be really sharp. I love the way conversations are written because they talk like real people, and more importantly they talk about things real people talk about. Sometimes it's mundane and random, sometimes it's about a current event, but it's the sort of interactions which real people have.

Even 11 episodes into the show with all the crazy stuff going on, I don't feel that has changed at all. The tone has certainly changed a lot, but the characters are still written to be people - except people who are somehow trapped in this ridiculous scenario which has no basis in reality, but sometimes they still stop and ponder about that before being driven towards the next ridiculous scene. But these scenes are entertaining and often funny.

Watching the various characters react like normal people at certain points, only to have no issues with snapping into their "role" as required by the scenario at times is definitely a huge disconnect, but that's also part of what makes the show interesting to me. The contrast makes the entire setting less real, but it also makes fun of flaws and shortcomings of the works they are parodying without actually insulting the nature of the works. It's a celebration of cheese while acknowledging the silly parts of it.

I think there's a lot in common between Samurai Flamenco's narrative flow and Edgar Wright's comedies or an even better example would be Cabin in the Woods. It's the show which promises certain things in a misleading way, turns out to be something you don't quite expect, and then escalates it more and more in really ridiculous ways, while keeping everyone in character. It's certainly not the sort of show I've seen in anime much at all, so it's very refreshing that someone even had an idea like this. :)

This is similar to my feelings on Samurai Flamenco. The scenario has become completely ridiculous but the characters are still sharply written and likable. To contrast this with shows like VVV or Code Geass which also had ridiculous plot twists and scenarios but the characters are nowhere near as likable and are more often than not completely detestable. Probably the most out there Character in the SamFlam is Red Axe but his dialog is so good he never fails to make me laugh out loud when hes on screen. I was dying every time he said "But it was a beautiful lie".

So good!

Do have to say, someone earlier described KLK's latest episode as a eoisode tht made you want to go out in the street and start a mothafuckin brawl, that's the exact feeling I had, I wanted to fuck shit up, and then serve satsuki-sama for eternity.

That's my general feeling with action scenes. For some reason, I get up and stand in the middle of the room, and then play scenarios in my mind that would personally look cool.

Gazoinks

I personally haven't watched NHK, but if you want more psychologically-focused shows, I can't recommend the recent Flowers of Evil highly enough. Trapeze, as well as (to an extent) Tatami Galaxy, also come to mind.

I'd also consider Paranoia Agent and Revolutionary Girl Utena (can't go wrong with Utena unless you hate symbolism!).

These are all great recommendations. Listen to this.

foxuzamaki

That's my general feeling with action scenes. For some reason, I get up and stand in the middle of the room, and then play scenarios in my mind that would personally look cool.
its great
It's not .both media are very good with strong points .

You're hoping ? The current name is "hyrule warriors" , i don't think you can put that many nintendo characters out of this one.
oh, I agree, this just makes it difficult for more things to come out of it unless it becomes really popular.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Samumenco has ended up my favorite show this season against all odds, as ducky mentioned the characters are all great, well rounded and relatable, and the dialogue feels natural, which is especially surprising considering how super hero/sentai shots are.

Midonin

Kyousougiga
We're All Mad Here

There was a show about a family of supernatural beings, with heavy influence from Japanese culture and a unique art style, that aired last season, but I never watched it. I opted for this one instead. Though the premises are somewhat similar, the devil's in the details. The whole reason I picked up Kyousougiga can be tied to it being a Japanese riff on Alice in Wonderland. The same reason I got into Rozen Maiden. The parallels aren't exact, but there's a strange country that operates by its own set of rules, a rabbit to be chased, mischievous twins, and a royal who loves hosting tea parties. Like with Penguindrum, the text encouraged one to interpret it according to Alice, but Alice is more immediately familiar.

I understood the series well enough based on just the OVAs. There was a lot of things that had to be implied to fit that running time, but the world was one that had been fleshed out before the first frame was even drawn. Seeing the first five episodes expand on those OVAs was certainly helpful, but I found it the equivalent of going from fullscreen to widescreen. There was more to the picture, but it was a very well shot picture already, so it's really more of an aesthetic thing.

And all my thanks to Ryoko Shiraishi for doing that tour in the middle of the show to inform viewers of some of the subtext of what was going on. The levels of symbolism that Japan can put into even the simplest of their works is amazing. The show itself was great, too. All those colors floating around and the varied range of movement. Fantastic, yet grounded. I can easily compare it to the feeling I got during Gatchaman Crowds.

The characters were nice, too. Koto (Kugimiya) and Myoue's bond was obviously central to the series, but everyone had their moments. I personally wanted to see more of Prof. Shoko. A mad scientist voiced by Chiwa Saito can't not be awesome. Doubly so when she has Bishamaru and his super old school theme song. Kugimiya did a good job, too. And I loved her weapon. A clear hammer with the planets floating around inside it - a nice take on a common bit of weaponry. And with her mother being a rabbit, having a mallet associated with her (and meeting her on the moon) makes sense. All the little details tie together.

Though there were gods and paintings coming to life and Buddhas and whatnot, the themes were quite simple and resonant. Family's something to hold onto. Even though Koto was the only true daughter of the family, everyone else valued the family just as much, even if for entirely different reasons. Yae's sentimental moments and Kurama's desire to get out all played into that.

The opening was nice and peaceful, and I love the ED. Can't wait for the character song album with the full version of it.

Final Thoughts: I only watched it because the ideas and themes from Alice in Wonderland were appearing once again across cultural boundaries, but there's something in here for just about everyone. Action scenes, comedy, drama, supernatural stuff, robots and whatnot. The central theme is tied together in a fitting package, and the animation is great to look at. Worth the watch.

duckroll

Kyousougiga - Episode 10 (End)

Well, that was a pretty solid final episode, but at the same time I find that it didn't really quite manage to tie the entire series together. Ultimately the message seems to be that the details don't matter as much as the feelings, which is fine for a story about the concept of family, told through a free flowing conceptual setting which doesn't seem to have any strict rules, but it does leave the overall narrative feeling weaker than it would otherwise be if the writing were tighter. It's imperfect, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The direction in the final episode was a notch above most of the other episodes, and there was some pretty good animation to boot. In the end I think they managed to make a pretty interesting end product with what was originally just a short OVA created to sell new toys.

JCG

Hellsing321 said:
This is similar to my feelings on Samurai Flamenco. The scenario has become completely ridiculous but the characters are still sharply written and likable. To contrast this with shows like VVV or Code Geass which also had ridiculous plot twists and scenarios but the characters are nowhere near as likable and are more often than not completely detestable.

Which remains a very subjective point, since other people did clearly like some of those characters despite their flaws.

Just as there are folks who don't have any strong attachment to the Samurai Flamenco cast regardless of their normality.

Can't really tell what my own reaction would be, to be honest, since I'm waiting to see how everything turns out before watching.

CorvoSol

I also highly enjoyed skyward sword, twilight princess is still my favorite though, still stumps me on how people can downright hate TP

Wind Waker is my favorite. The Hyrule reveal is the best moment in the series, I think. The Rito are my favorite race, too. All it is missing are my favorite items: The Roc's Cape and the Bow-wow.

Caladrius

I'm kind of confused as to how the Japanese TV season goes. Some shows are ending already and the episode counts are different between the shows on the same week. Are other shows ending at the start of the season and the current crop picking up from there or what? What fills in the slots of shows that are already over?

Wind Waker is my favorite. The Hyrule reveal is the best moment in the series, I think. The Rito are my favorite race, too. All it is missing are my favorite items: The Roc's Cape and the Bow-wow.

WW is my second favorite after Majora's Mask.

Gazoinks

I'm kind of confused as to how the Japanese TV season goes. Some shows are ending already and the episode counts are different between the shows on the same week. Are other shows ending at the start of the season and the current crop picking up from there or what? What fills in the slots of shows that are already over?
Some shows started a week later (Samurai Flamenco) or had un-numbered episodes (Kyousougiga), so their episode count is different. Everything is ending this week, I think.

WW is my second favorite after Majora's Mask.
Correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom