• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I really love midna as a character, and I loved how she went from just using and trolling link to genuinely liking him.

Midonin

Yu-Sibu
A Better Deal

Though conceptually similar to Hataraku Maou-sama!, this series was announced before but aired after, and the thing is... I think I may like it more than Hataraku. My reasons are a few.

The first is because it takes place inside the magical world, and one going through a cultural and industrial revolution at that. While a fish out of water story has its appeal, focusing on a world that's like, but not like our own has its merits, one that I felt was one of this series' strengths. While this means the world ended up looking a lot like modern Tokyo, that's a product of where the LN was created. The idea of a magical world that's not in crisis but still has a booming economy is interesting, pulling it closer to Maoyu (which I have not seen, but want to), while Hataraku holds onto its state of war.

Another is the focus on female characters, and all the fanservice that came with them. Some would call this a negative, but for me, these are things I'm almost always looking for in my anime. Everybody had the proportions of Chiho, and the animation to emphasize those proportions, and it was amazing. I love the characters for more than their boobs, though. Fino was a great character, partially because she has Aoi from Aikatsu!'s voice, and because of her situation.

I can compare Fino to someone from The Addams Family. Her upbringing wasn't what one would call normal, and she certainly has a very different set of cultural values, but she still loves family, making friends and feeling good about her work... even if that work involves making deathtraps. As Fino was the crux of this show, I believe she had a strong enough character to pull it off. The rest of the surrounding cast was also great, with Lore being a good example of the cool type, coupled with that down and dirty worksmanship that I can appreciate in a girl.

Another difference between Hataraku and this is how it focused on the job. While Maou and Chiho and the gang certainly held down jobs, all of the things that pushed the plot forward came from the magic world outside their jobs. In Yu-Sibu, almost all of the things that set the story in motion came from the inner workings of the job itself. The same kinda thing that makes Karino Takatsu's works so appealing (including the focus on the boobs.)

The final arc was the only time the show really got into the magical war stuff, but here it was presented more as an anomaly instead of the status quo - a post-(magic) war world. I can really appreciate that. The way the show tackled things like big box stores was interesting, too. The voice cast of newbies did a good job, and, as is often the case, made it somewhat easier for me to focus on the characters.

The OP was really catchy, and I love the dance associated with it. The ED by Sphere is also pretty nice. Sphere themselves making a few appearances in the show was probably something brought about by Lantis, but it wasn't quite as invasive as Afilia Saga over in NouCome, and if it means Tomatsu and the gang get to appear in an anime as themselves, hey, no argument here.

Final Thoughts: The fantasy work comedy that I actually ended up enjoying better than Hataraku Maou-sama. Boobs, fanservice, idol plugs and all, it had a unique world setup and a nice bit of workplace comedy. This show can make figuring out magical electrical wiring into a good drama piece, and the cast is all pretty lovable, even with oddities like the pervy old man. Not my favorite of the season, but it's very close to the top.

Gazoinks

What if Samumenco is all in Goto's head. Extremely lonely because of his long-distance girlfriend, and frustrated by his inability to carry out justice as a policeman, he creates a superhero friend. Of course, the delusion gets more and more complex and weird as it goes, hence the bizarre direction of the story.

It almost makes too much sense!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill 12

mako kills it as usual, and I guess this is probably reading too much into what tsumugu said to the teacher, but I get the vibe that maybe nudist beach is all dudes? idk its pointless to wonder about that I suppose especially since there are only two revealed members

Want to learn more about them though not boring Satsuki trying to take over all the schools zzzzz

Conversely I want to know more about The Big 3, Nudist Beach talks a big game but they have been real small potatoes. I want to know more about the schools who have so defied Satsuki that she had to enact a rather elaborate Xanatos Gambit to harden her forces and upgrade the Elite Four.

cnet128

Banned
What if Samumenco is all in Goto's head. Extremely lonely because of his long-distance girlfriend, and frustrated by his inability to carry out justice as a policeman, he creates a superhero friend. Of course, the delusion gets more and more complex and weird as it goes, hence the bizarre direction of the story.

I like this theory. It's out there, but I wouldn't even put it past Samumenco to actually do it.

Fox318

She mentioned it herself in her first moments on the show. Also, translator's notes really oughta be kept to a minimum.

I don't know they can bring some good laughs to a show.

Didn't one show have a message that revealed that the translator was just taking what was said in a fan translated manga and trying to piece it in with what he thought was going on.

He made up every line of dialogue and nobody knew enough to call him out on it.

Viz's Ranma 1/2 BD set one (3/25/2014)
tumblr_my4fd5Ne3u1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

JCG

I guess it might be worth buying what...2 or 3 of those Ranma sets?

Never got through the whole show myself, but over the years I've only ever seen few people stand up for the later seasons.

I guess it might be worth buying what...2 or 3 of those Ranma sets?

Never got through the whole show myself, but over the years I've only ever seen few people stand up for the later seasons.

The first season is easily the best, but I watched all of the seasons plus most of the OVAs, and even if ti doesn't stay as good as it was at first, it was still entertaining enough to watch all of. I don't know about buying eight disc sets though (plus OVAs and such beyond that), that'd get expensive...

Einbroch

Banned
Kill la Kill is pretty nifty.

After not having watched any anime in probably close to a year, I've watched probably 40+ episodes in the past two days. And I still have 13 days left before I have to be back to work. Benderrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Kill la Kill is pretty nifty.

After not having watched any anime in probably close to a year, I've watched probably 40+ episodes in the past two days. And I still have 13 days left before I have to be back to work. Benderrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

You sure are cramming a lot of anime in, that's for sure.

Mortemis

Banned
VVV 23

Silly Haruto, your train's brakes were ripped out long ago. Nothing stops it. :p

One more episode huh, hope it goes out blazing. Even better, the infamous last line of the show would be "Shoko who?"

I can imagine the finale. Flamengers fail to save the day! Tokyo has been destroyed! But wait! Goto wakes up, looks outside the window and sees everything is fine. He then sees his girlfriend finally come back. The end.

Probably the most out there Character in the SamFlam is Red Axe but his dialog is so good he never fails to make me laugh out loud when hes on screen. I was dying every time he said "But it was a beautiful lie".

So good!

My absolute favorite part of episode 11 right here. Jouji was one of the early things in the show that made me come around to it despite it faults. He was one of the first to show up in a sizable lineup of great supporting characters. I love his delusional cockiness, and he's been consistently great at delivering some of my favorite lines in the series.

Nafe

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (2002 OVA's)
(Quiet Country Cafe)

jXQZk0KbEg8fK.jpg

Kimochi...Such a relaxing show.

Like most others who have watched these OVA's I really enjoyed them. The artwork leads to so many nice shots that I could have just filled a post with tons of pictures. Just like the first two OVA's it has just so many quite moments of looking at the art and scenery accentuated by the music.

It was nice to see Kokonoe again these episodes. This shot here I thought the object was in the clouds and some type of glider plane. You can see here that it's actually in low orbit. It was a nice scene transition but either the scaling is off or that thing is huge! Even the ISS looks like a bright star and it's in low orbit.

During the storm and the quick little flashes of the cafe I figured things were going to turn out the way they did. That and Alpha said it looked a little run down right at the beginning of the OVA. It was enough to make me feel sad for Alpha...
It wasn't all bad though as it's shown in the second OVA that it was more just the cafe part and the house actually looked pretty much fine,haha. Kokonoe seemed to be getting to like Alpha as well as shown by some of those scenes,haha.

As much as I liked the cafe I also really liked that we got to explore a little bit of this world and its destroyed beauty with Alpha. The different places she goes and the different people she meets. There was one part which seemed weirdly fan-service though. firehawk mentioned the "data exchange" scene in the first OVA but here you have (possibly NSFW) a completely naked girl randomly showing up. She's watching a couple of the kid characters and they mention they haven't seen Misago for awhile. "Is she a robot person too?", "Don't know". "Why is she always naked?", "Don't know". They then carry on talking about other things. I'm assuming she's in the manga but did the staff know there wasn't going to be any more and it was just a favor to manga fans or was there originally going to be more and that was more just a tease of her character?

I like how there's not only an attention to detail in the art but also with events that happen. During the opening part of the first OVA you see the first shot there as part of a series showing the world and there's that plane that flies by. One might think it a neat little detail but not pay it too much attention. Later on in the second OVA during Alpha's journey around the countryside, she comes across a small airstrip in a field and encounters the same plane that you see earlier!

Even though there's maybe not any really standout sakuga type animation, I do like the detailing there as well. When Alpha's moving around in bed getting up the sheets twist and move around her realistically and when she's sleeping in the shot above, Kokonoe gently brushes a bit of her hair and her hand twitches slightly in response.

Again, just a nice relaxing show that looks at a post apocalyptic world in a different light and doesn't have the modern fan-service type material that many might not like. A show I'd be comfortable recommending to anyone to take a look at because I'm sure glad I did. Now I just have to see if I can take a look at the manga.

jbug617

Banned
IS S2 12

Is this the end of the season?
They fight the bad guys, they were not able to defeat the bad guys so it's a draw?

Ranking (Chifuyu not included)

Laura
Charlotte
Houki
Kanzashi
Cecilia
Ling

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (2002 OVA's)
(Quiet Country Cafe)

jXQZk0KbEg8fK.jpg

Kimochi...Such a relaxing show.

Nice post! Obviously I can't put it in words as nicely as some, but I was pretty stunned by just how pretty these OVAs are. Normally when I constantly pause to take screenshots it's to capture lewd things, but in this case it was because everything looks so wonderful. It's more than likely never going to happen, but I'd love at least one full TV series of this eventually. Really gotta check out the manga it seems.

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 11

I have experienced Samurai Flamenco genre-flipping twists before. I have been aware for quite some time that there was sentai stuff incoming. I saw people's reactions to this episode. Despite all this, it still managed to catch me off-guard.

What the heck just happeeeeeeeeened XD

I have no clue where this show is going now. But it is amazing.

(Seriously though gais,
why are you arguing about who gets to be leader? The team is clearly named after Samurai Flamenco, you don't even need any genre savvy to figure out that he has to be the One True Red. I guess it's sort of justified in that I don't think Hazama ever actually mentioned to the team the fact that he's Samurai Flamenco(?), but even so.
)

Pokemon XY 11

Pancham and Pangoro time!

Wish someone would have caught one of them, but alas.

Jessie did catch a Pumpkaboo in under 5 seconds so that was something at least.

Froakie remains the smartest Pokemon Ash has ever had, just for being wise enough to not trust Meowth. May have won some points over Serena's Fennekin, who I wager is female after this episode.

Preview for the next episodes seemed hyped with the best middle evolution starter appearing and Viola
battling Grant
at the Battle Chateau.

Gambit61

Samurai Flamenco 11

This is ridiculous. I LOVE IT! I've got the dumbest smile on my face. XD

Holy shit this. The first half of the episode I just kept thinking "is this really happening?" Then the entire second half I couldn't stop smiling. I knew this show was going to be awesome.

cajunator

Banned

hnnng. I love Mouretsu pirates soooooo much!!

Man, even in BD menus where the artwork look innocent yet it has a pantyshot.

the art is in the subtlety.

I am also a huge sucker for the emotional points in Zelda games, like Wind Waker's ending or Zelda's confession in Skyward Sword.

same. One of few games I watch the cutscenes at all.

Precure Musou might truly be a thing.

Needs to be a fighting game

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 10

Operation Get-Ken's dick is obviously a failure for Kanon. You had to get the other two involved, and the only way it worked was due to unforseen circumstances. Unfortunately, Unforseen Circumstances also manages to backfire.

Theonik

Yuushibu
iAkwd3oeCXeck.png

Awakened Fino looks like she came out of the 80s and I fucking love it.
That was actually a pretty good finale for this series. I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout.
This series was pretty weird in that it had one character basically pulling everything and it certainly showed the last couple of episodes delivered on some good action and comedy that you can sort of forgive its failings though I'd still be reluctant to recommend it to anyone.
Watch the YT clips I guess.

Quasar

Yu-Sibu
A Better Deal

I guess it was a non-terrible ending. The whole cramming in of a 'serious' story in the last two episodes kind of bothered me though, just as it did with Outbreak Company. Not that the stories were bad in concept...in fact those kinds of stories were VERY obvious right from the premise. They just felt kind of shabbily treated in a way.

Though I guess if those stories were treated more seriously, that would ripple right through the shows and make them not comedies anymore.

Quasar

After the latest episode of Golden Time I have this to say: This is an amazing show and every bit as good as Toradora. Why aren't more people talking about it?

I actually like it more than Toradora. As for why I its not talked about...I think the concept turns some off. The whole super obsessive girl as a main character in a romance story. Its a pretty rote setup for the most part.

Quasar

Yeah, the incest-bait is all over this series, for sure. Unpleasant stuff, with how much the sister loves her brother the MC.

The surprising thing for me was how up front it was about both them being blood siblings and it not being a one sided love. Normally they wiggle out of this by using step siblings and the like, as well as it being one sided.

Here it seems pretty clearly neither of those things, despite the occasional 'its only a joke' from the brother.

They are both magic-school shows, but the Mahouka MC gets, as I said, absolutely insanely overpowered later in the series, from what I've read... though it's more like he always had a lot of power but doesn't show it.

Well they are both pretty super powered. But yeah the brother...its clear he's slumming it just to be with his sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom