• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I didn't really pay attention to staff when first watching this but probably next time. I really liked this episode though and it's probably one of my favorites in the show. Like you mention with the more surreal imagery and getting more insight into Yuki and Kodai was just great. I think it was NeoSoma(?) who mentioned that this episode was kind of SHAFT-like, not in a derogatory sense, but more in the abstractness maybe of some of the visuals or storyboarding. Maybe it was the head tilts,haha. I felt bad for the younger psychic sister though...

I don't think Shaft is a good point of comparison, honestly. There isn't much Shinbo-esque about the episode - even the head tilts are more akin to live-action Japanese horror (the girl even looks sort of like Sawako from the Ring) than Shaft's infamous practice. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that anime fans are so eager to leap to that studio whenever a bit of abstract imagery comes up. The kind of surreal and horror techniques used in Yamato 2199 14 are older than Shaft - just watch Serial Experiments Lain, for instance.

I also agree with your AOTY comment on the last episode. I really like Wolf Children and seeing this families struggles and triumphs in their situation but I came to really like Yamato 2199 pretty quickly as well and maybe even more so than Wolf Children.

I don't think I can put this above Wolf Children, but it sure is hitting a lot of the right buttons for me. It's just about an ideal model of how a remake should be handled - it keeps the classic feel while intelligently fleshing out the story in a way that makes it palatable for modern audiences.

wonzo

Banned
Pupipo threads up!

Pupipo 1

"Pipo!" What an adorable little voice this guy has. Music is pretty chill too. This looks like it could be a fun and surprisingly sweet short series.
ponpo got an anime? japan visit explained
Wow that is one nice blob. I'm going to have to watch this show.
y'all know what to do

pupipo2.png

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Strike the blood episode 12
Well this was one of the most cliche arcs of the show, it had a few alright parts but was meh overall.
but the guy having to molest and kiss the girls to awaken his powers is fun to watch though.

OceanBlue

Oh wow, I only skimmed people's impressions on Strike the Blood 12 (I'm not watching the show), but they really surprised me so I checked the episode counts. I didn't know that Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens were 26 episodes. I'm already watching Tokyo Ravens so I guess I'll pick up Strike the Blood.

cajunator

Banned
I have not watched Wolf Children, for I'm leaving that for possibly Christmas, but

CBW78Hc.jpg

ANN are notorious for mastering the art of not knowing what the fuck they are talking about.

Pupipo 1

"Pipo!" What an adorable little voice this guy has. Music is pretty chill too. This looks like it could be a fun and surprisingly sweet short series.

This seasons roundcat. But not a cat...what is it? Is it like Potemayo?

KILL la KILL 10

All right, techie dude. Let's do it.

Mako x Ira, make it happen Triggerrrrrr.

Wow that was quick. Please don't lose the bandleader girl, she's like the worst of the Elite 4. So fucking annoying. Put her down, Ryuko.

And Mohawk dude is coming back? FUCK YES.

SaiKano 10

Shuuji and Chise continue fighting against their own impossible fights, as the clock ticks down.

Don't ask for her forgiveness, man, she's a fucking pedophile for fuck's sake.

Get there Chise.
YES. There won't be a happy end at the final bow, but it's the little victories and fights that you work for.

Golden Time 10

:lol, what the fuck was that. That's not how you use a cliff hanger.

Man I'm really loving this internal conflict. If the OP was forgotten, they've really weighed it equally between Linda and Koko. It's kinda hard to pick, as a viewer.

Infinite Stratos S2 10

seriously what the fuck am I watching

Cecilia, you're English: Bad food is in your blood, just live with it, ffs.

Fuck Tabane. Why is she even in this show.

No worries. Saikano gets even more depressing from there.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco 11

I wonder if the show was always going to turn out like this. Or did someone have a problem with how the show was and demanded they add monsters and action?

The signs were always there, but they were done in such a way where it was almost impossible to really guess that would be the exact direction they would take because it just seemed too ridiculous.

These are the 3 main key visuals for the show in order, released before the show ever aired:

In retrospect, it's clear now that each one represents stuff which develops throughout the first 11 episodes. The first one shows the show as it begins, the second one shows the "complete" Samurai Flamenco with all his stationary weapons, and the final one has the Flamenger vehicles flying overhead.

duckroll

While we're talking about KyoAni and Takemoto, I'll just leave this here.

http://anifav.com/animemirai/20131219_2354.html

Anime Mirai 2014 interview with two young animators on Ultra Super Picture's Harmonie - Aiko Komamoto and Ayu Asari.

After talking about Utena and Ufotable, the interviewer asks what other things they like, and Asari says Kyoto Animation. So the interviewer asks what their favorite KyoAni show is.

――特にどの作品がお好きですか?

浅利)「氷菓」ですね。

駒本)私も1番は「氷菓」。

――私も「氷菓」好きです!目がきらっきらで……髪の毛がやわらかそうで……。

浅利)そう!わかる!質感がね!

――えるちゃん(「氷菓」のヒロイン・千反田える)絶対良いにおいです。

浅利)それは知らん(笑)

Interviewer - Any particular work you like best?

Asarin - Hyouka.

Komamoto - I like Hyouka the best too.

Interviewer - I like Hyouka too! The way the eyes glitter... the hair feels so soft and tender...

Asarin - Yes! Exactly! They get the feel of the material right!

Interviewer - Chitanda definitely has a pleasant aura around her!

Asarin - Actually I don't know about that... (lol)

foxuzamaki

Oh wow, I only skimmed people's impressions on Strike the Blood 12 (I'm not watching the show), but they really surprised me so I checked the episode counts. I didn't know that Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens were 26 episodes. I'm already watching Tokyo Ravens so I guess I'll pick up Strike the Blood.

Yes, slowly japan is going back to 26 episode format which was perfect.

Kyousougiga 10: END

This show ended exactly the way I wanted it to :') with a mushy happy family ending. Sure there were many questions left unanswered, but my biggest issue would've been if this family didn't end together.

One of the more enjoyable shows this season. 9/10

Pooya

-What do you two (Takemoto/Yamada) think about Chuunibyou?

Takemoto: I’m probably not infected with it. Earlier Ishihara-san mentioned balance. Wouldn’t it be better to be normal than to have that illness? I feel a bit superior over these two due to being normal and struggling to achieve what I wanted. (laughs)

Yamada: We’re all happily normal. (laughs)

lol

Strike the Blood 12

I am starting to see a pattern.

** Arc start
- Introduce baddies
- Set/Introduce main characters. Usually new girl to be added to harem.
- Harem hijinks
- Shit gets serious. Kojou can't win with current power.
- Sexually implied biting sequence. Get new familiar.
- Harem expansion get.
** Arc end

Also what's the point of him being a vampire? It's like it's solely used for the sucking blood aspect. He could've been a number of human-looking creatures, so why one that tends to be associated with stealth and/or regular combat? Instead he's only a vampire by name and once that's done it turns into Pokemon. If they just wanted to have him do sexual stuff with women to get new powers, they shoudl've gone the Campione! route and just have crazy make-out sessions with the ladies.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the show as a silly action harem.. but man. Also harem is getting a bit too big. Toaru Majutsu at least didn't expand main harem cast beyond a certain point, but at this pace this one will have one of the bigger harem casts.

Summer Wars

Just some thoughts about the film:

- I'm a sucker for flat shading in anime. I remember that Our War Game had flat shading as well, and that's the only other Hosoda film I've seen (well, I saw it as a part of Digimon: The Movie -- wait, he directed the first movie as well, didn't he?). Is it a signature thing in his films?
- I really like the usage of color and different art styles to differentiate between the real world and OZ. The real world is more typical Hosoda, based on pictures I've seen from Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children, and OZ is a Takashi Murakami-influenced world full of hypersaturated colors and cartoonish proportions. And those cool red outlines.
- Grandma is a fucking badass.
RIP ;_;
- I like the usage of real-world brands in the film; it's not in a product-placementy way, and grounds the film more in reality, making it look like it really is 2010 (it is set in 2010, isn't it?). Mansuke wears Datsun and Yamaha tank tops, Kazuma wears an Adidas one, Kazuma's laptop is a Dell, the adults drink bombers of Sapporo Draft, people are using iPhones (and it even has a real carrier: SoftBank), Mansuke drives an Isuzu truck carrying a boat, Shota's car is what looks like a third-generation Mazda RX-7, the supercomputer is made by NEC (and appears to be a real model -- an SX-9 based on a Google image search for NEC supercomputers), Windows 7 is clearly being used, the kids (and Mansuke!) have DSis, etc. It's just a really loving attention to detail.
- The film tends to avoid many of anime's more pernicious clichés.
- Koi-koi is serious fucking business.

Overall, the whole thing makes me wonder what kind of havoc would be caused if Facebook's servers were compromised.

Now I really wish I'd have bought Wolf Children with this. I'll probably order it tomorrow, though.

Shergal

Summer Wars
- flat shading
- usage of color
Yes, it's a constant for Hosoda and he has thought these elemets through; combined they make for a big part of the pleasant aesthetic found in his films. He's very picky about color, and IIRC he doesn't feel the need for any sort of shading because he thinks it's unnecessary- with good usage of color, you don't need shading to convey mood efficiently. There was a translated interview in Anipages regarding this but the site's down ;_;

Also, the first Digimon film (a 20min pilot) is highly recommended.

foxuzamaki

Summer Wars

Just some thoughts about the film:

- I'm a sucker for flat shading in anime. I remember that Our War Game had flat shading as well, and that's the only other Hosoda film I've seen (well, I saw it as a part of Digimon: The Movie -- wait, he directed the first movie as well, didn't he?). Is it a signature thing in his films?
- I really like the usage of color and different art styles to differentiate between the real world and OZ. The real world is more typical Hosoda, based on pictures I've seen from Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children, and OZ is a Takashi Murakami-influenced world full of hypersaturated colors and cartoonish proportions. And those cool red outlines.
- Grandma is a fucking badass.
RIP ;_;
- I like the usage of real-world brands in the film; it's not in a product-placementy way, and grounds the film more in reality, making it look like it really is 2010 (it is set in 2010, isn't it?). Mansuke wears Datsun and Yamaha tank tops, Kazuma wears an Adidas one, Kazuma's laptop is a Dell, the adults drink bombers of Sapporo Draft, people are using iPhones (and it even has a real carrier: SoftBank), Mansuke drives an Isuzu truck carrying a boat, Shota's car is what looks like a third-generation Mazda RX-7, the supercomputer is made by NEC (and appears to be a real model -- an SX-9 based on a Google image search for NEC supercomputers), Windows 7 is clearly being used, the kids (and Mansuke!) have DSis, etc. It's just a really loving attention to detail.
- The film tends to avoid many of anime's more pernicious clichés.
- Koi-koi is serious fucking business.

Overall, the whole thing makes me wonder what kind of havoc would be caused if Facebook's servers were compromised.

Now I really wish I'd have bought Wolf Children with this. I'll probably order it tomorrow, though.
nintendo got some hardcore advertisement in that movie, you rough up the DS' they were using but forgot to mention that they were playing hanafuda cards, which is how nintendo got their start

Gazoinks

Kyousougiga 10 END

D'aaaww this had a sweet ending. I really enjoyed this episode, some unresolved threads aside. It was sweet, a nice conclusion, and it looked great.

Branduil

Yes, it's a constant for Hosoda and he has thought these elemets through; combined they make for a big part of the pleasant aesthetic found in his films. He's very picky about color, and IIRC he doesn't feel the need for any sort of shading because he thinks it's unnecessary- with good usage of color, you don't need shading to convey mood efficiently. There was a translated interview in Anipages regarding this but the site's down ;_;

Also, the first Digimon film (a 20min pilot) is highly recommended.

Although, the OZ scenes in Summer Wars do have shading.

nintendo got some hardcore advertisement in that movie, you rough up the DS' they were using but forgot to mention that they were playing hanafuda cards, which is how nintendo got their start

Well, it did cross my mind, but I didn't really bother to try to figure out what brand the hanafuda cards were. I've never seen what any of Nintendo's designs look like other than the Mario ones.

Lain

Valvrave 23

The forced drama between Haruto and Shoko bothered me somewhat, but that's par for the course with this show for me.
At this point I expect Haruto
to forget everything about Shoko by the time Shoko finally breaks down, with Shoko this time seeing Haruto die like he saw that other girl die from Runes consumption. It's gonna be awesome.

Jex

please enjoy this selected quote:

That might be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Someone should really call up like, every writer everywhere on the planet and tell them to stop writing characters and scenarios that they've never personally experienced in real life.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga Episode 10:

So we finally have come through the looking glass and all the elements are in place for the grand finale done in Kyousougiga's usual idiosyncratic style. Indeed the happy ending is earned after what appears to be the cosmic equivalent of family therapy is enacted.

Kyousougiga Series Review:

A couple of days ago I revealed my shortlist for Anime of the Year and this ended up on said list. Not without reservations mind you, but I seriously could not put the likes of Gingitsune or Coppelion over this show. Kyousougiga does a lot of things right, and somewhat begrudgingly I will acknowledge that this show is very creative and interesting, especially in its visual and metaphors. Certainly one of the sharper series this year, with a lot to offer if you pay attention. I will say that some of my enjoyment was hampered by shear cultural barriers, I can tell that some stuff was not clicking simply because I am not steeped enough in the tenants of Mahayana Buddhism for example.

Anyway, the major problems with Kyousougiga were recycling all of the ONA stuff well past the point of sanity and falling in love with its own voice. On the one hand I will give this series some props for explaining some of the shit that is going on within the show, but it quickly broke on of the core tenants of visual storytelling, show, do not tell. Still, in spite of these problems, I do not regret watching this series to its finish.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hmmm, it sounds like Samurai Flamenco finally became the show I always wanted it to become, I may have to pick this back up during the winter break.

Theonik

BUT GUYS, HOW CAN SHINICHIRO WATANABE CREATE A BELIEVABLE PROTAGONIST IN SPACE DANDY IF HE'S NEVER BEEN A DANDY GUY IN THE SPACE?
How do you know. Watanabe is pretty dandy. Could be hiding the part with the space.

Ah, okay,haha. I haven't seen the show myself so I guess I was paying more attention to the fact that the girls have the aeronautical leg attachment things over if they have fluffy tails or not.
Missing the forest for the trees etc. No the fighter plane legs are more distinct so I don't blame you. I guess the tails of fluffy emphasis is a running thing.

Imagine if that had been animated in the 80s. :(
[REDACTED] A...ALL THAT F...FLOWING HAIR

i dont like E's color scheme :(
Team E all the way. Sidecap obliged to vote.

Vote E or don't vote at all.
Truest words have never been spoken. Now praise K-ON!!.

... I might actually watch this.

cnet128

Banned
Interviewer - Any particular work you like best?

Asarin - Hyouka.

Komamoto - I like Hyouka the best too.

Interviewer - I like Hyouka too! The way the eyes glitter... the hair feels so soft and tender...

Asarin - Yes! Exactly! They get the feel of the material right!

Interviewer - Chitanda definitely has a pleasant aura around her!

Asarin - Actually I don't know about that... (lol)

Translation seems a little off for those last two lines, shouldn't it be:

Interviewer: And I bet Eru-chan [Chitanda Eru, the heroine of Hyouka] smells really nice!

Asarin: I don't know about that one. (laughs)

Asarin's awkward response doesn't make much sense if the interviewer was just making an innocent statement about "aura".

730c7906-8a19-45a2-9cfb-851b5a36c639.jpg

a57efd98-edba-4d1c-9a82-79ee968e14d4.jpg

9e06c9e9-0d1a-4f05-b41a-3dc21ca96a58.jpg

i dont like E's color scheme :(

I do like E's colour scheme, actually, but it's still got to be F for me out of those three. As I said during the original voting, I like E's design, but I don't feel like it would be a good fit for this game, particularly considering Call is going to be playable.

Gotta feel a little sorry for H, though. Is anyone going to vote for her? XD (Well, I guess she must have some fans to have made it this far, but even so...)

*still a little bitter that Call I didn't make it through*

Happiness Charge Precure Stuff

Totally 80s

1J7xOto.jpg

That's pretty...fancy for civilian wear. Princess indeed.

Cute, but I feel like her legs are going to snap like twigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom