• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Translation seems a little off for those last two lines, shouldn't it be:

Asarin's awkward response doesn't make much sense if the interviewer was just making an innocent statement about "aura".

There's nothing innocent about gushing over Chitanda though. After all she's the worst girl! Why would anyone agree?!

Lightbeams are so passe, giant black smudges are where it's at.
M56Oxni.jpg

Infinite stratos 2 - 12

This must be one of the most UNSATISFACTORY finale i've seen in years.

There was like no sense of accomplishment at all , some parts of the cg battle were quite stiff , not to mention that they recycled a lot of battle animations but tried to hide them ( or think people would not notice because this time the battle is at night ? )

The bomb was solved way too quickly for any kind of tension to appear . Worse ,
none of the foes have been defeated ( total opposite )

Ichika is finally asking himself the right questions , but he is asking about them alone, instead at someone who might give her some clue . And the anime ended poorly with some stupid misunderstanding that only IS has the secret sauce of because it manages to be lackluster and very bland ( and i don't doubt that the blu-rays will be uncensored . but there will be nothing to show LOL)

Rabbit-chan is revelead to be the real mastermind all along ..ABOUT TIME
it was a pain to keep this secret to me. Unfortunatly the anime did SO much butchering that it probably doesn't matter. IS2 should have been 24 episode( with fillers or not ) not this giant mess.
Infinite%20Stratos%202%20-%2012.jpg

NIce resolve , too bad this doesn't evolve past that

Final episode ranking ( by girl ) :
-Russia ( Alright performance , nice trump card (twice )) : 6/10
-Russia Jr : ( kudos for finding the bomb , other than that you didn't do much ) : 5/10
-China : ( loool , underused character ) 2/10
-England : ( alright teamwork , some good scene , you were overpowered but you managed to have decent moments ) : 7/10
-Japan : ( the plot is shipping you like crazy , but you own fight was alright ) : 6/10
-France : ( this isn't how you defuse a bomb , but i'll take it) : 6/10
-Germany : ( notenough screen time to shine but you still did more than china ) : 4/10

Second season ranking
-Russia ( Most capable character of the entire show ) : 9/10
-Russia Jr ( Somewhat welcome addition , didn't do that much ) : 6/10
-China ( i don't think she was in this season at all ) 4/10
-England ( A joke as a long range character, she didn't really fought for her place even if that filler episode existed ) : 5/10
-Japan : ( shipped like crazy with the MC , she still far below russia ) : 7/10
-France : ( most even overall performance , low points , but very good points ) 8/10
-Germany : ( nice highlights moments, but overall she stayed in the shadow of russia, japan & france ..a decent 4th place) : 7/10

Overall ranking ( anime version )
Russia > France > Japan > Germany > Russia Jr > England > China

The books are so much better than this crap.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
this is not ANNcast's big end of year podcast, but when asked on the spot one of the staff member's top picks for the year highlighted: attack on titan, watamote, free!

then they proceeded to dump on wolf children.

like wow. okay. i cannot stop laughing at this. this deserves to be heard or something. their interpretation of wolf children is one of the most idiotic appraisals i have ever heard.

please enjoy this selected quote:
ROFL. I suppose the author of Attack on Titan, Hajime Isayama, knows all about what life is like when you are attacked by man eating giants.

zeroshiki

And to think, there will be people who listen to that and go: "Hmm, you know what, he's right. Only actual wizards like JK Rowling could know what it was like to live in Hogwarts."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 12:

I am ever so pleased that Log Horizon has found not only its own voice, but a strong one as well. To anybody starting this series, you have to tough it out beyond the usual 3-4 episode mark. On that note, minus ten points to Log Horizon for combining the classes of Bard and Dancer, I know they have both to do with music but just because you can strum a lute does not mean you can groove to the beat. At any rate, the meeting of nobles is going to formally commence soon and we are beginning to learn the true political scene and the stakes.
Duke Sergiatte Cowen is completely correct in getting the Round Table on their side, he sees the power amassed by them in such a short time and while he has inklings about the progression of their technology and being left behind, he has no clue that the Industrial Revolution is right around the corner.The implications of that will be profound as one of the best little bits of this episode was seeing the Cooking Technique spread to The People of the Land.

I am far less enamored with the Junior League Training Camp b-side plot. The kids are not all that interesting and honestly there are a little too on the rookie side for my liking. After all the group here is averaging in mid 20s level wise and I get that there are many levels to go, that isn't the scrub levels you would have me believe. Still, I will not begrudge this segment too much since it not only fulfills the action quotient and reminds me of one of the best things about the show, its understanding of MMO mechanics. Indeed, one of the reasons I think Sword Art Online is the cursed spawn of Satan that it is is due to the fact that it failed to understand its own inspirations. It was a absolute joy to see the Junior League fighting as a team and using things like tanking, support chains, buffs and debuffs and even fucking drawing aggro, well played Log Horizon, well played indeed. Anybody know if this show is taking a break till the new year?

Theonik

It's clearly just a smudge on the camera, that perfectly explains why it doesn't change in size as the camera zooms out.
Clearly it's shrapnel that lodged itself inside the camera lens and because the scene was expensive to shoot they decided to keep it as is and changed to a new camera on the next scene.

Clearly it's shrapnel that lodged itself inside the camera lens and because the scene was expensive to shoot they decided to keep it as is and changed to a new camera on the next scene.

But how we explain the black mist on her body that is present before the switch to the overhead view?

Log Horizon Episode 12:

I am ever so pleased that Log Horizon has found not only its own voice, but a strong one as well. To anybody starting this series, you have to tough it out beyond the usual 3-4 episode mark. On that note, minus ten points to Log Horizon for combining the classes of Bard and Dancer, I know they have both to do with music but just because you can strum a lute does not mean you can groove to the beat. At any rate, the meeting of nobles is going to formally commence soon and we are beginning to learn the true political scene and the stakes.
Duke Sergiatte Cowen is completely correct in getting the Round Table on their side, he sees the power amassed by them in such a short time and while he has inklings about the progression of their technology and being left behind, he has no clue that the Industrial Revolution is right around the corner.The implications of that will be profound as one of the best little bits of this episode was seeing the Cooking Technique spread to The People of the Land.

I am far less enamored with the Junior League Training Camp b-side plot. The kids are not all that interesting and honestly there are a little too on the rookie side for my liking. After all the group here is averaging in mid 20s level wise and I get that there are many levels to go, that isn't the scrub levels you would have me believe. Still, I will not begrudge this segment too much since it not only fulfills the action quotient and reminds me of one of the best things about the show, its understanding of MMO mechanics. Indeed, one of the reasons I think Sword Art Online is the cursed spawn of Satan that it is is due to the fact that it failed to understand its own inspirations. It was a absolute joy to see the Junior League fighting as a team and using things like tanking, support chains, buffs and debuffs and even fucking drawing aggro, well played Log Horizon, well played indeed. Anybody know if this show is taking a break till the new year?

I mostly totally shard ( wait share ) your opinion

First the trainig camp plot is very intresting because we do see various mecanics of the game in action , this simple stuff wil perfectly used to give the viewer a taste of what is possible and what isn't .. all while not being boring... It also make sense that the main heroes aren't the ones explaining this.
They aren't just that they are beginners, it's just the group being dragged down by 2 hot blodded males. As shiroe says it's better that they learn this lesson the hard way.

Your other assumptions about the political side of things are exactly what i think about this arc .. so many things at stake behind this 10 day conference.

Ps: the scene featuring akatsuki with the nobles kids was too cute :)

Midonin

Infinite Stratos 2
Long Vacation, Short School Year

Popularity is a double edged sword. It makes sure something is going to continue, but the expectations raised by such a thing can make trying to make an informed decision a difficult ordeal. I don't remember having much of a strong reaction to the first IS. A little action, a little naughty, a little comedy - it had all the elements I'd expect of an action harem type show present in about equal amounts, not doing anything particularly standout, but the way it appealed to people who like giant robot suits was unique. Having the girls be an international cast was also nice.

So as for the second go-round... I'm including the Long Vacation version of episode 1 for this review. Gotta go with the Director's Cut. The focus on the harem antics was certainly there, and in some ways got more creative than the first season. The entire episode spent on Charlotte not wearing panties, while at the same time not showing them, was fun. The Cinderella battle wasn't bad either.

Mostly, it's about the new characters and how they impacted the story. The Sarashiki sisters were pretty nice. Chiwa Saito's great in just about anything she does, and I can always support more Mimorin. The new enemies, though, were introduced without nearly as much fanfare, and what they were up to was never really answered. Maybe that's what the World Purge OVAs will be about. This is just me personally, but I wanted more Tabane. She's got some mysteries that need explaining.

The OP and ED were nice, comparable to the first season's. Still need to get the character songs, now that I know ones for the Sarashiki sisters have been announced.

Final Thoughts: I'm aware things were changed, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what those things were. From what I saw, this looks like about what I expected a sequel to the first season to be. A similar amount of content distributed in a similar amount of ways, not quite action mecha suits and not quite harem hijinks. The characters are fun to watch bounce off each other, and with the knowledge that there's an OVA coming up, hopefully at least some of what was explored here will be answered.

duckroll

Captain Earth

Staff:

Director: Takuya Igarashi
Series Composition: Yoji Enokido
Original Character Design: Fumi Minato
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Satoshi Ishino
Engine Series Design/Main Design Works: Shigeto Koyama
Machine Good Fellow Design/Mechanic Design: Takayuki Yanase
Mechanic Design: Shinji Aramaki, Takeshi Takakura
Quilt Gang Design: Masaki Asai, Takeshi Yoshioka
Concept Design: okama
Graphic Design: Tsuyoshi Kusano
Design Works: Masatsugu Saito
Effects Director: Yasushi Muraki
Art Director: Masaru Yanaka, Koji Eto
Art Design: Takeshi Takahashi

Assistant Director: Yoshiyuki Asai
Music: MONACA/Satoru Kosaki
Animation Production: BONES

Raxus

Well I have my spring show to look forward to now!

Hunter X Hunter - 44

HOLY SHIT DID THAT GUY JUST
BITE THAT OTHER GUY'S BRAIN OUT OF HIS SKULL?!?

Now I see why people said this show wasn't upbeat. I can only imagine how brutal the original and manga was! I mean damn.
After the first arc the anime closely follows the manga with only minor censorship changes but yeah. Yorknew and the current arc are all very brutal.

Maria Holic - 01

Perverted lesbians, crossdressing assholes, and trolling maids? I'm in. I honestly think this show would be funnier if it were in the Bishoujo artstyle that keeps popping up in Kaneko's daydreams, though.

Jarmel

Banned
Captain Earth

Staff:

Director: Takuya Igarashi
Series Composition: Yoji Enokido
Original Character Design: Fumi Minato
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Satoshi Ishino
Engine Series Design/Main Design Works: Shigeto Koyama
Machine Good Fellow Design/Mechanic Design: Takayuki Yanase
Mechanic Design: Shinji Aramaki, Takeshi Takakura
Quilt Gang Design: Masaki Asai, Takeshi Yoshioka
Concept Design: okama
Graphic Design: Tsuyoshi Kusano
Design Works: Masatsugu Saito
Effects Director: Yasushi Muraki
Art Director: Masaru Yanaka, Koji Eto
Art Design: Takeshi Takahashi

Assistant Director: Yoshiyuki Asai
Music: MONACA/Satoru Kosaki
Animation Production: BONES

Glad about Kosaki as the music in Star Driver was easily the best part. There were some phenomenal pieces in the show. The art directors are kinda interesting as the stuff in Psycho-Pass was impressive at times and other times it wasn't to say the least. I'm hoping it's closer to their work in Fate/Zero.

I actually wish Koyama was the art director as he's knocking it out of the park in Kill La Kill.

The character design,so far I guess, reminds me of a better version of Hirai.

cajunator

Banned
Yuushibu - 12 FIN

That was fun. Airi
You'll get your time in the spotlight! ;_;

Now the wait for uncensored goodness begins!

animation1f5lyonv.gif

Extended version here.

Fino is the reason for squee season.

Translation seems a little off for those last two lines, shouldn't it be:

I do like E's colour scheme, actually, but it's still got to be F for me out of those three. As I said during the original voting, I like E's design, but I don't feel like it would be a good fit for this game, particularly considering Call is going to be playable.

Cute, but I feel like her legs are going to snap like twigs...

Youve chosen correctly.

OMG! BONES!!! YESSSSSSSSSS!

http://captain-earth.net/

Interesting site design effect. Seems pretty straightforward mecha.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maria Holic - 01

Perverted lesbians, crossdressing assholes, and trolling maids? I'm in. I honestly think this show would be funnier if it were in the Bishoujo artstyle that keeps popping up in Kaneko's daydreams, though.

Hell yeah! You've made the right choice in watching Maria Holic. Looking forward to your future impressions!

==============================

Turn A Gundam - 07

FXdZl3R.gif

Defuser

Strike the Lewd ep 12

Jesus that was terrible. I have every few seconds and skip because I can't stand the lewdness. Derpy serious faces and derpy action but the lewd scenes are detailed. Why is Japan's priorities so fucked up?

/XX/

Going round and round with the impression that the GAINAXSIATER★ mini-cinema opening scheduled for next month, and coupled with the big news coming soon their Facebook page was touting (https://ja-jp.facebook.com/GainaxSiater)... could it all represent that they are going to exhibit there first the Blue URU movie pilot? But was also thinking that maybe they do it exclusively for that little place in Yonago City, until much later! :-O

Can you imagine it? Although after all the wait a bit more time without seeing these "Knights Of The Air" in motion wasn't going to hurt...

I was just about to mention that I hadn't seen you for awhile. I was thinking you were either just taking a break or busy with other things such as work/school.
Certainly a busy month this has been. It's nice to see your posts again, Nafe.

Since I haven't since it yet, I came close to getting spoiled on Gurren Lagann a couple times when looking at the Kill la Kill thread so I've been avoiding it. I'll have to go back and read it after watching the show instead.
I blame cosmicblizzard for that! Too much of his contagious and evangelical enthusiasm towards both series can make people being not very careful with the spoilers in the spur of the hot-blooded moment! :p

While we're talking about KyoAni and Takemoto, I'll just leave this here.

http://anifav.com/animemirai/20131219_2354.html

Anime Mirai 2014 interview with two young animators on Ultra Super Picture's Harmonie - Aiko Komamoto and Ayu Asari.
Haven't been following much information on all this project lately, but... isn't there any confirmed company part of the holding in charge of the animation production? No fixed structure? I mean, maybe they set up something temporal on their own, but I was under the impression that having a ex-member of Mr. Yoshiura's Purple Cow Studio as is Ryōsuke Inagaki on a USPI's overseer role could mean he was acting as an external producer along that studio involved, or anything like that. Doesn't seems like it now...

duckroll

Haven't been following much information on all this project lately, but... isn't there any confirmed company part of the holding in charge of the animation production? No fixed structure? I mean, maybe they set up something temporal on their own, but I was under the impression that having a ex-member of Mr. Yoshiura's Purple Cow Studio as is Ryōsuke Inagaki on a USPI's overseer role could mean he was acting as an external producer along that studio involved, or anything like that. Doesn't seems like it now...

Ryosuke Inagaki is not an external producer. He has been a producer in Trigger for over a year now. He worked on Little Witch Academia as well as Kill la Kill. In fact, I doubt Purple Cow Studios really exists anymore, seeing how many of the key staff who worked on Patema Inverted have since worked on Kill la Kill at Trigger before moving on to this Anime Mirai project. Purple Cow Studio also no longer has any association with the Yozakura Quartet series after the first OADs, in fact, it is Trigger which worked on the ED animations for the TV series and the new OADs, and also episode 5 of the TV series.

cajunator

Banned
1 SFBPGS101 Pet Girl of Sakurasou, The Blu-ray Colle
1 SFBKC010 Kokoro Connect OVA Blu-ray Complete Coll
1 SFBHHD100 Humanity Has Declined Blu-ray Complete C
1 SFBGUP100 Girls und Panzer Blu-ray Complete TV Ser
1 FUN01392 Eureka Seven: AO (Astral Ocean) DVD/Blu-

This is gonna be a really fun anime shipment (sorry corvy I had to finish collecting Eureka Seven AO. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive)

Mononoke

Banned
So I saw Whisper of the Heart again on blu ray. Really loved it on a second watch. I enjoyed it the first time, but the second viewing was a lot better. I appreciate the themes a lot more. And I overall really liked how the movie captures that pivotal moment in your life going from a teen to an adult, and trying to figure out who you are, and what you are going to do with your life.

I actually wrote out a huge lengthy post, that I kept deleting over and over again. There are still some aspects to this film that rub me the wrong way. But ultimately, I feel like the main point of this film is the emotion/feelings and themes that it evokes. So I understand why people love it immensely. There is definitely something really beautiful about this film.

/XX/

Ryosuke Inagaki is not an external producer. He has been a producer in Trigger for over a year now. He worked on Little Witch Academia as well as Kill la Kill. In fact, I doubt Purple Cow Studios really exists anymore, seeing how many of the key staff who worked on Patema Inverted have since worked on Kill la Kill at Trigger before moving on to this Anime Mirai project. Purple Cow Studio also no longer has any association with the Yozakura Quartet series after the first OADs, in fact, it is Trigger which worked on the ED animations for the TV series and the new OADs, and also episode 5 of the TV series.
I see, thanks for the answer. Was aware he has worked at TRIGGER Inc., (we precisely talked about this, remember?), what I was thinking is if he could have been a USPI producer acting as a external producer on the project for Purple Cow Studio, you know.

So, what do you think? Is there no main studio involved or it simply hasn't been disclosed yet? A collaborative effort between studios inside the holding perhaps?

Necrovex

I completed Hajime no Ippo (the early 2000 series, I plan to watch the new season at a later point), so I have been searching for new anime to watch. I decided to jump back into some older anime, once I complete my watch of Hyuoka.

Right now I am targeting two series, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (this will be watch, no matter what), and Sailor Moon. My question is for the latter. Is it truly worth watching? I barely watched it when it was on the air a decade back. I also plan to watch it in its original version (so no craptastic dub).

Time of Eve

Fantastic film. I want to know if there are any plans in creating a sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom