• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys, he started the 'hype train' when the first episode's preview aired at Bandai Channel
(I remember being dissapointed at the time because he told me they didn't show the opening worked on by Mr. Anno)
!
But he refused to watch it because it came out in chunks!

duckroll

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta - Episode 12

TAFloJl.jpg

This episode will definitely be a let down or anyone expecting super sakuga action because Norio Matsumoto is involved. It was a pretty "normal" Yozakura episode, which is to say, it looked pretty nice, had some good action, was kinda funny, but overall this arc just feels a bit less energetic than usual, so I guess it's hard for them to get the most out of it? I dunno. What -is- impressive from a production standpoint is that Matsumoto and Tomoaki Takase animated the entire episode on their own. No other key animators.

Vito

Banned
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta - Episode 12
This episode will definitely be a let down or anyone expecting super sakuga action because Norio Matsumoto is involved.

Well this is now becoming a weekly routine whenever names are dropped and people dial up their expectations up to 11. Rinse, repeat.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond of Diamond Episode 12:

The first string arc continues as Chris finally gets to catch in a game in spite of concerns about his shoulder injury, Haruichi displays his batting prowess. and the refinement of Eijun continues slowly, oh so slowly. Still the big feature of this episode is the introduction of that classical archetype the evil sports team rival, he even has a name to match in Zaizou, he even acts like he is from a cliched USA sports movie as his goal is to defeat his rival even if it means aggravating the injury of Chris. Hell, he wants to do that because he wants his supposed rival destroyed that badly and after the game he is getting fitted for a Cobra Kai gi. Anyway, so is Ace of Diamond taking a break here, because this shit is not over, we even get a preview for episode 13.

/XX/

Ha, that's it. I should have expected you would know, thanks.
Glad I could help you! A shame that the "to be continued" promise probably has expired by now...

What -is- impressive from a production standpoint is that Matsumoto and Tomoaki Takase animated the entire episode on their own. No other key animators.
Well this is now becoming a weekly routine whenever names are dropped and people dial up their expectations up to 11. Rinse, repeat.
But it worked for Yamashita! :)
Seeing Norio Matsumoto in a solo couple tag-team like this, one has to wonder... where's his pal Takahiro Kishida? With other close friends like Shingo Yamashita getting opportunities, I wish he could show up as well.

duckroll

well you know, even a broken clock is right at least once a day.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting at all. People get excited when talent which they like are working on something. If the talent is extremely well regarded, expectations go up. Sometimes the expectations are met, sometimes they're not. What's the problem?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Diamond of Diamond Episode 12:

The first string arc continues as Chris finally gets to catch in a game in spite of concerns about his shoulder injury, Haruichi displays his batting prowess. and the refinement of Eijun continues slowly, oh so slowly. Still the big feature of this episode is the introduction of that classical archetype the evil sports team rival, he even has a name to match in Zaizou, he even acts like he is from a cliched USA sports movie as his goal is to defeat his rival even if it means aggravating the injury of Chris. Hell, he wants to do that because he wants his supposed rival destroyed that badly and after the game he is getting fitted for a Cobra Kai gi. Anyway, so is Ace of Diamond taking a break here, because this shit is not over, we even get a preview for episode 13.

I've been wondering this myself. I remember somebody in here saying it was going to be 50 episodes straight but I have no idea who said it or if it was true.

Anybody know whats up with this show?

duckroll

I've been wondering this myself. I remember somebody in here saying it was going to be 50 episodes straight but I have no idea who said it or if it was true.

Anybody know whats up with this show?

The show airs on TV Tokyo at 8:30 on Sunday mornings. It's not going away anytime soon. :p

I dunno why anyone even thinks it's ending in 12 episodes. Where did that idea come from?

Theonik

ANNCast randomness. Zac wants AoT to succeed for the "health of the industry" and thinks Wolf Children was a disappointment and that Hosada isn't all that great.

Not enough facepalms. :(

"Hosoda was never a single mom, so why would he write from that perspective?"

:(
ord

I don't know how you guys can regularly inflict this upon yourselves. Even my limited experience with the ANNCast made me want to gouge my eyes out.
Should be gauging your ears instead. Eyes don't help.

I hope theres more just to see Fino again,
There's an OVA on the way.

duckroll

Then what are people supposed to use?

People can use their own initiative to find out if there is an actual announced or confirmed episode count for a series from official sources. Check if the DVD/BD release schedule has been outlined for example, or if the official press release announcing the series mentioned how long it is. Sometimes the simple answer is that the total length of a series is not known, and hence any number put on a database site as a placeholder can be wrong.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
People can use their own initiative to find out if there is an actual announced or confirmed episode count for a series from official sources. Check if the DVD/BD release schedule has been outlined for example, or if the official press release announcing the series mentioned how long it is. Sometimes the simple answer is that the total length of a series is not known, and hence any number put on a database site as a placeholder can be wrong.

That sounds like too much effort.

Beyond the Boundary

So uh..what the hell did I just watch? I feel like I was lost for the last 7-8 episodes. Can someone summarize this entire series for me please? I liked the animation a lot but I feel like this show was a giant waste of time. Lots of random babbling and stuff happening and I just felt so lost.

First
Mirai is dead then alive then dead again then lives again? Huh???

Midonin

Outbreak Company
Give My Regards to Akihabara

I'm extremely glad to see the reaction to this show has been positive. When it was first announced, knowing that it was from Ichiro Sakai - writer of Magician's Academy, which made for a suitably wacky fantasy anime - I was hyped. Yet seeing it called "preposterous and self-masturbatory" before it even aired means that there's a bit of a petty side to it, but I won't dwell on that. Because it was one of my favorite anime of this season, tied for first place.

There's so many things I like about it. You have an "ordinary human goes to a fantasy world" plot that doesn't involve war. This is a step below even Dog Days here. It's all about an exchange of ideas. And talking about otaku culture and examining it, while something that's hardly new, is a concept I'm always glad to return to. The anime references never completely overtook the plot, and everybody got to have their own little voice actor jokes, from Petralka doing the Rosetta pose to Myucel meeting her other roles... even Akibaranger got a reference. Naruhisa Arakawa's cool like that.

Ultimately, it all depends on what filter one chooses to view a show through, and I see it as sort of a reverse Nyarko. With slightly less madness. The segments in class, brief as they were, were some of my favorites in the series. The way the dwarves became interested in figures and the elves in beauty plays to the fantasy stereotypes a bit, but in a new and creative way. And episode eight, I felt, said a lot more to me about the hikkikomori condition, more than any single episode of Watamote, though that's a bit of a strained comparison in the first place.

I love all the characters. Elbia and Minori have my favorite designs. For Minori, I may be biased because of her chest and her voice actress, and that she's a fujoshi is also neat. Elbia's just attractive, and even Myucel and Petralka have their strong points. Seeing them learn the language and using magic as a crutch is another part of how this series was tongue in cheek, but also believed in what it was saying. There was a real love for the material, and coming from the pen of Arakawa, I can believe he both knows and cares about this stuff.

In fact, the episode set in Akiba was entirely original, not existing in the LNs at all, and was one of my favorites in the entire series. A temporary reversal of the formula just to drive home what Shincihi was doing. A sequel focusing on Eldant starting up their own doujinshi would be amazing, or wherever they decide to go with the story.

The opening was almost Disney-like in its whimsicalness, and the ED was a fine piece by Fuchigami. I've placed an order for the character songs, because I want to support this show. I want a second season.

Final Thoughts: Not quite a fantasy show, not quite an otaku show, it's all of those things at once, and the things it had to say about otaku culture, the way it can be used to cross cultures, makes it sort of a commentary on Cool Japan, if one can read it that way. All the heroines (even Romilda) are lovable, and it's just a lot of fun to watch. A highlight in an already strong season.

Midonin

Wanna Be the Strongest in the World
The Legend of Ai Shimizu

Fantasy becomes reality shortly after this show goes to air. Small world, huh? The only things I know about wrestling are whatever my friends randomly shout out on Monday nights (a disconnected series of names, memes and moves... but then, I do the same thing with Super Hero Time), so I was going into this one almost entirely for the idol aspects and the fanservice.

The show isn't bad. There's a dramatic tension to the proceedings, and Sakura does have to struggle to earn her place in the ring. The Sweet Diva subplot is never forgotten, and gets a nice conclusion to wrap up the show. It was an enjoyable experience, I just wish that the show had more... energy to it. Anime's reliance on stills and similar things means that the camera angle may change a lot in the ring, but the show just needed to feel like there was some more life in it. Not in a character sense, but in a kinetic sense.

Sakura certainly got a lot of screentime, and I liked Rio as a rival, but it feels like Moe's storyline barely got off the ground before it got sidetracked by the Elena storyline, and the other wrestlers, even though they had names and VAs and everything, never quite popped out on the screen as characters.

I do like the fanservice, though. There was very little actual nudity, but the way the camera lingered on the boobs and the cameltoes and whatnot during the wrestling matches more than satisfied the libido. It shows that what's not being seen is just as important as what is being seen.

The pacing was certainly a little slow. It took about half the show for Sakura to start winning, and the rest of it flew by rather quickly, beginning just as it finished. I know drawing things out a bit in order to show Sakura's victory, and the efforts and exactly how she got to where she is, is a good thing, but lingering too long on one point isn't quite good either.

It was messy, but I can't say I disliked it. It was solid as far as fanservice shows go, and the premise and how it quickly came true in real life is something that hasn't been seen all that much in anime before. The voice actresses were fine, and the opening and ending were both nice.

Final Thoughts: Not the best paced and the atmosphere feels like it could use a little more tension, but the characters' struggles feel real, and all the subplots resolve themselves in ways that make sense. The use of fanservice is different in a way not seen very often. I don't know much about wrestling, but I do understand following your dreams. And in that regard, it was alright. Hardly perfect, but alright.

Heartcatch Precure 26-49 (END)

ibosTiUlgW1z4D.jpg

I'm sure this screencap has never been used before.
Most of my series thoughts are just going to be me repeating myself from this post. I adore this show to no end, all the characters are lovable in their own way and there was some really nice fights (especially in the finale, TOO GOOD) and whatnot as well. Highly recommend to everyone.

Now someone give me Erikaface.gif! You know the one!

cajunator

Banned
<Could be alright i guess>

-------------------
Non Non Biyori - 04

;-;

Why are people putting salt on watermelon ? what the heck .. I don'r understand , if a watermelon is sweet , putting salt doesn't make it sweeter afterwards , that's a fake sensation made by the confusing sense people have on their tongue.

Anyway Putting salt on a watermelon is a big NO.

Don't do that at home folks , even if it's summer , even if you've seen in anime.
Bad idea.

Renge sub story was too hearwarming , those little second without music after she realise the fact before she started to cry , almost broke my heart. I guess that's a Good reason to be sad during 1 week.

Remember folks ! Airplanes > bullet train

I know i'm in the minority but i like the OAV timeline more , and despite sme problems i enjoyed OAV3. i also wish GXP was more ...serious but in the end it was entertaining.

People do put salt n grapefruit to make it seem seeter. It does actually somewhat work.
I havent heard of it being used on watermelon though.

Heartcatch Precure ED2 is amazing. Dat church choir.

~O-PEN-MY-HEART~

Im glad you guys have discovered the best thing about Heartcatch.
That song will never leave your head.

Sekai Seifuku CM5 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18q909 (dunno if it was posted already)

This show is gonna be so amazing. I sense great things.

One Piece 626

Didn't expect to see the Kung Fu Dugong anytime soon.

Really liked his little story about making his own pirate crew of sea creatures.

Baddie has his standard One Piece laugh and his powers could be fun if he makes the crew fight each other.

Not a bad start to this filler arc.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Beyond the Boundary

So uh..what the hell did I just watch? I feel like I was lost for the last 7-8 episodes. Can someone summarize this entire series for me please? I liked the animation a lot but I feel like this show was a giant waste of time. Lots of random babbling and stuff happening and I just felt so lost.

First
Mirai is dead then alive then dead again then lives again? Huh???

Because of reasons, from what I can gather.

cajunator

Banned
Truly the hero animegaf needs but not the one it deserves.

I wish Arti would come back :(

Outbreak Company
Give My Regards to Akihabara

I'm extremely glad to see the reaction to this show has been positive. When it was first announced, knowing that it was from Ichiro Sakai - writer of Magician's Academy, which made for a suitably wacky fantasy anime - I was hyped. Yet seeing it called "preposterous and self-masturbatory" before it even aired means that there's a bit of a petty side to it, but I won't dwell on that. Because it was one of my favorite anime of this season, tied for first place.

There's so many things I like about it. You have an "ordinary human goes to a fantasy world" plot that doesn't involve war. This is a step below even Dog Days here. It's all about an exchange of ideas. And talking about otaku culture and examining it, while something that's hardly new, is a concept I'm always glad to return to. The anime references never completely overtook the plot, and everybody got to have their own little voice actor jokes, from Petralka doing the Rosetta pose to Myucel meeting her other roles... even Akibaranger got a reference. Naruhisa Arakawa's cool like that.

Ultimately, it all depends on what filter one chooses to view a show through, and I see it as sort of a reverse Nyarko. With slightly less madness. The segments in class, brief as they were, were some of my favorites in the series. The way the dwarves became interested in figures and the elves in beauty plays to the fantasy stereotypes a bit, but in a new and creative way. And episode eight, I felt, said a lot more to me about the hikkikomori condition, more than any single episode of Watamote, though that's a bit of a strained comparison in the first place.

I love all the characters. Elbia and Minori have my favorite designs. For Minori, I may be biased because of her chest and her voice actress, and that she's a fujoshi is also neat. Elbia's just attractive, and even Myucel and Petralka have their strong points. Seeing them learn the language and using magic as a crutch is another part of how this series was tongue in cheek, but also believed in what it was saying. There was a real love for the material, and coming from the pen of Arakawa, I can believe he both knows and cares about this stuff.

In fact, the episode set in Akiba was entirely original, not existing in the LNs at all, and was one of my favorites in the entire series. A temporary reversal of the formula just to drive home what Shincihi was doing. A sequel focusing on Eldant starting up their own doujinshi would be amazing, or wherever they decide to go with the story.

The opening was almost Disney-like in its whimsicalness, and the ED was a fine piece by Fuchigami. I've placed an order for the character songs, because I want to support this show. I want a second season.

Final Thoughts: Not quite a fantasy show, not quite an otaku show, it's all of those things at once, and the things it had to say about otaku culture, the way it can be used to cross cultures, makes it sort of a commentary on Cool Japan, if one can read it that way. All the heroines (even Romilda) are lovable, and it's just a lot of fun to watch. A highlight in an already strong season.

This show is so interesting.
The whole idea of it is absolutely ludicrous but its just charming and funny enough to work. The characters are very likeable, and the setting being a feudal Japan (more like medieval) with a caste system and all is kinda interesting. then throwing in the different MMO type races. It shouldnt work at all but it really does.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Silver Spoon 01 - 03

I really like this show. A lot. But gotta say though episode 3 is fucked up. This shit is fucking animal abuse pure and simple. Regular horse racing already disgusts me, so this type of horse "racing" is even more disgusting. It feels like a ridiculous disconnect tonally from the rest of the show, specifically the actions of the Equestrian club. At least all the other animals in the show go through the cycle of life.

Even the comedic scene of chopping the live chicken's head off is fine, the chicken gets put to use as food for human consumption. They care for these horses and do everything from a sense of love and then you find out that they are brought up for something so barbaric and inhumane. There is the discussion about animals having to produce results or they get put down but the difference between horses and the rest of the animals is that the other animals are doing tasks and things that benefit humans need to live, the horses exist solely for human gambling in a sport thats even more barbaric than traditional horse racing. It's just gross. The funeral scene at the end of the episode made me legit shook and sad :(

Pocket Monsters X/Y 11

faTYZSml.jpg

I guess our real first filler episode or whatever but still pretty enjoyable.

Jessie's no nonsense capture was pretty awesome and the Yancham were pretty adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom