• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (3 OVAs)

Glad you enjoyed both Pixy Misa and the OVAs as well.

The Television Series is more divorced from the source material, but it still makes use of familiar Tenchi characters in different scenarios. The Television series is of course, also very good and worthwhile to watch, on top of making Pixy Misa even better than ever.

I think you'll be in for a treat.

strike the blood 12

lewd... more waifus waifu problems.

wfp.jpg

harem life sucks at times :/

Yowapeda 2

You know, it's not even a big race, and I'm strangely excited to see this. Like Ippo beating Miyata despite being a newbie, I have some strange faith in Onoda to at least get close in this race.

This dude has been doing shit since 4th grade, come on faith!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, the Pretty Sammy OVA is kind of like a high-budget rough draft for what Pretty Sammy TV ends up becoming. It introduces the core concepts of the magical girl story but still leans a lot on the original Tenchi Muyo chemistry. Pretty Sammy TV does more of its own thing, recasting Sasami's family yet again and removing the love triangle of Tenchi/Ryouko/Aeka. In return, both Sasami and Misao are better characters and even get classmates to interact with.

Also, the first two Tenchi OVAs (episodes 1-13) are great and are definitely recommended. Tenchi TV is an alternate retelling that doesn't have the elaborate art, designs, and worldbuilding, but still keeps a lot of the fun. The first movie is part of the TV continuity and is the best of the three.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nafe: Oh yeah, Kiyone is introduced in Tenchi TV as they basically split OVA Mihoshi into two characters, with her TV counterpart getting her ditzy side and Kiyone getting her competent side.

White Album 2 season [maybe series depending if they do sequel] finale and Gingitsune finale as well for tonight. Kinda sad to see so many of the animes I enjoyed this season ending. But at least Log Horizon and Golden Time go on to the next season. Plus new shows next season.

Yowamushi Pedal 11

The Bullet Train was cool and its nice to see them already going to a training camp.

Really laying it out thick the guy who beat Imai is not a good person.

The guys from Hakone though, seem like a nice bunch.

Yowapeda 3

Well, he lost, but at least they didn't do a "I won due to protagonist" but at least gave us that Onoda has potential.

Fanged Red Head arrives as well! Although that Love Hime singing.... *cringes*

White Album 2 still has one more episode.

Welp. Never mind then. Point was that it'll end somewhat open ended as far as I hear. Hopefully it gets a second season and hopefully there's a somewhat happy ending because if it ends with everybody being friendly but no longer friends or whats his face choosing girl, then no thx.

Yowapeda 4

Why is this interesting? I don't know. Clearly normal shonen sports anime seem a bit more interesting than the general "super powers" type shonens. Kinda gives you a

ACCtMJT.jpg

Feeling when someone succeeds.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gingitsune Episode 12:

So it is time for the big festival and honestly this series kind of played out like the Summer Wars anime we never got. This episode is all about the interplay of all of the family and friends gathered at the festival and it is mildly interesting to watch.

Gingitsune Series Review:

I'll be honest, I am a bit gobsmacked over how little I have to say about Gingitsune in the grand scheme of things. I like it well enough and indeed most of the character save for Satou and Haru. I suppose my main problem with this show is what it represents and that is a perfectly serviceable but ultimately forgettable slice of life genre show. It isn't offensive or pointless but it also leaves very little in the way of lasting impressions. I can see myself forgetting that I even watched a second of this show in six months time.

One Piece Episode 626 – Caesar Goes Missing! The Pirate Alliance Makes a Sortie!

I didnt realize there was a market for One Piece filler episodes. Alright filler that fortunately looked better than most of One Piece episodes but the antagonists admitted to being way weaker than Luffy and Law so its kind of a dull plot.

Quasar

Gingitsune 12 - and its over. Such a nice, pleasant end. So wish there was more. So wish we got more hints about where the manga goes from here.

Yowapeda 5

NOW he's in the club of Bicycles! And we have 3 well knowns and 3 random schmucks who just started existing as of this episode. Clearly we know what will happen (maybe), but it won't stop it from being ExciteBike!

Quasar

With someone on another forum going through Kokoro Connect I was inspired to pickup from where I stopped for no reason I can recall.

I really quite enjoyed this power of friendship story. It is I guess a curious way to explore it, those magical experiments they are subjected to. But it works in terms of exploring their pasts and relationships as well as the strength of their friendships.

I wonder if the novels ever got around to explaining it much, or whether it stayed mostly just a device.

cajunator

Banned
With someone on another forum going through Kokoro Connect I was inspired to pickup from where I stopped for no reason I can recall.

I really quite enjoyed this power of friendship story. It is I guess a curious way to explore it, those magical experiments they are subjected to. But it works in terms of exploring their pasts and relationships as well as the strength of their friendships.

I wonder if the novels ever got around to explaining it much, or whether it stayed mostly just a device.

It started off so silly but ended up quite romantic and adoeable. Much of that because of Miyukichi. Zach knows what he's talking about.

Quasar

It started off so silly but ended up quite romantic and adoeable. Much of that because of Miyukichi. Zach knows what he's talking about.

I did find Inaba pretty adorable, especially in the late episodes.

Shame the rest of the novels never got covered in a second season.

Serious

As much as I liked it, I doubt it. Doesn't seem like the kind of show people would buy on disc.

Not sure I'd say people don't buy this kind of show (Natsume got 4 seasons after all), but Gingitsune specifically has been doing fairly poorly in general with pre-orders. Probably a 1.5k average show at best, and that's being rather generous.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Gingitsune 12 - and its over. Such a nice, pleasant end. So wish there was more. So wish we got more hints about where the manga goes from here.

It was a very nice peaceful and relaxing SoL series. Haru's cuteness will be the most missed. I also wanted to see the friend-mother ending but its good to leave something for the future :)

Maybe there will be a second season.

I could also use another Natsume (especially ala S1 or S2).

cnet128

Banned
Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 12

Hime's reactions during the first half of the episode were super cute in a subtle comedic way. Loved that.

Didn't expect
the whole imouto-as-villain thing to be resolved so quickly, though. I mean, I guess it had to be, since we only have one episode left, but still. And apparently she wasn't even a han'you to start with...so all the crazy magic shit was, what, Enjin's doing??

EDIT: Goddammit Hummingbird won't let me mark this episode as watched without removing the show from my Currently Watching list because it still thinks the show only has 12 episodes =/

White Album 2 11

Holy shit dude.

No.

God fucking dammit no.

Why can't you think with your head????? Your supposed to be smart!

Now you screwed it up even worse.

And nobody's innocent! So I can't feel sorry for anyone!

Touma can be best girl and cry all she want. If she had just confessed sooner, than none of this would be happening.

Thought maybe, I could show some sympathy for Setsuna, but she knew about Touma's feelings and rushed the confession after seeing her run away.

Now my thoughts of her are filled with "That bitch", even though she was the only one with enough courage to spit it out her feelings.

Fuck.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 11

Holy shit dude.

No.

God fucking dammit no.

Why can't you think with your head????? Your supposed to be smart!

Now you screwed it up even worse.

And nobody's innocent! So I can't feel sorry for anyone!

Touma can be best girl and cry all she want. If she had just confessed sooner, than none of this would be happening.

Thought maybe, I could show some sympathy for Setsuna, but she knew about Touma's feelings and rushed the confession after seeing her run away.

Now my thoughts of her are filled with "That bitch", even though she was the only one with enough courage to spit it out her feelings.

Fuck.

Yuuuuup. The first seven episodes were pretty great, though. >.>

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 12 – A New Emperor
tumblr_my82ed8EQK1s3dw0xo1_500.gif

Ren kouha had the best reaction for many of the events, especially when the mom stared making moves on the son, yuck.
Disappointed the writer treats Hakuryuu terribly even now this many episodes in, could he really not do anything back against the mom? If he doesnt accept Judar's arm, then I think there will be significant issues in believability in future episodes.

Quasar

Not sure I'd say people don't buy this kind of show (Natsume got 4 seasons after all), but Gingitsune specifically has been doing fairly poorly in general with pre-orders. Probably a 1.5k average show at best, and that's being rather generous.

How long ago was Natsume a thing though?

Quasar

It was a very nice peaceful and relaxing SoL series. Haru's cuteness will be the most missed. I also wanted to see the friend-mother ending but its good to leave something for the future :)

As much as it would upset folks here, I kind of would like to see more of Hiwako chasing Tatsuo over time.

Also just where Satoru ends up given he made a similar promise with Haru. Seemed like it was inferring he would end up permanently where he is now too along with Saeki.

I wonder how much of the manga (at least 10 volumes) the show covered.

Quasar

I'm feeling so good about stopping at ep 10 right now :)

I have considered stopping now that I've seen the flashback episode. Don't really want to go through the pain of the trainwreck part. Should have done that with Little Busters...though there that was more boring than I expected.

It sounds more like White Album 1 than I was led to believe

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Log Horizon episode 12
Love how they both cover the politics while also showing action, they did take the MMO aspect seriously and not just having a fantasy story under the guise of a MMO gimmick.

Yowapeda 7

The real race is going now. The generic schmoos have been passed, and then there was a giant foreign guy.

I enjoy how there's post credits scenes that gives everyone that comedic depth to go with em.

Anyone know of any similar shows/manga to Log Horizon(a group in an alternate world, etc. doesn't exactly have to be a fantasy type setting) besides ./hack , SAO, Accel, etc.

Kinda in the mood for more like that and I don't have any other shows at the moment.

Edit: heck even just some good fantasy setting anime .

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Share with me your powers of wisdom! I could use them for the next season! xD

I have considered stopping now that I've seen the flashback episode. Don't really want to go through the pain of the trainwreck part. Should have done that with Little Busters...though there that was more boring than I expected.

It sounds more like White Album 1 than I was led to believe

It was because of White Album 1 that I almost didn't start this series and also why I decided to stop when I did. I told myself "Never again ;_;".

Season 4 (which sold 10k+ I think?) was Winter 2012, and there's apparently an OVA in a month and a half.

Has anyone applied the pre-order/kickstarter model to production of a series? I wonder if it would work to galvanize the fans and give animators some sort of security blanket.

Serious

Anyone know of any similar shows/manga to Log Horizon(a group in an alternate world, etc. doesn't exactly have to be a fantasy type setting) besides ./hack , SAO, Accel, etc.

Kinda in the mood for more like that and I don't have any other shows at the moment.

Edit: heck even just some good fantasy setting anime .

For "people pulled into an alternate world" scenario...Twelve Kingdoms, definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom