• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
cajunator? More like communist.

wat

Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 12 END

Decent finale for a decent-ish series.

I couldn't honestly call this show "good". The narrative has been consistently unengaging and always just that little bit too convoluted, while the antagonists and other side characters were very underwhelming (it's telling that I don't feel any hesitation lumping the main villains we've seen in with "other side characters", and the supposed "main" antagonist of the series as a whole, Magnus, was perhaps the least relevant of all). And the action has been consistently decent but unimaginative - the only semi-unique idea the combat really seems to have is the main premise of fighting using "dolls" as proxies; beyond that, it's almost all just Yaya unceremoniously pummeling things until either they fall down or Raishin gets injured again. Oh, and occasionally Raishin yells out a command of some sort and Yaya glows a bit, which I'm sure is super important but just comes across as the magical automaton equivalent of meaningless technobabble.

So yeah, with the narrative weak and the action fairly unimpressive, pretty much the only thing the show has got properly going for it is the cuteness of the girls. So it's a good thing they are very cute. Yaya herself is clearly the main standout with her sweet and unashamed devotion to and obsession with her master (and proclivity for offering up fanservice of her own accord), but other standouts for me were Henri for most of the final arc, and Komurasaki (Shouko's loli automaton) on the rare occasion that she actually appeared.

Oh, and the show does have one more thing going for it - dat ED. I could at least trust every episode to leave me feeling all right thanks to that catchy tune and fun animation (which did include plenty of Komurasaki!) Easily one of the best EDs of the season.

Verdict: Disappointing, but I'd probably come back for a second season to see more cute girls and out of less-than-optimistic curiosity about the fate of the show's hanging plot threads.

This show is actually pretty forgettable but Yaya saves it.

Gundam Build Fighters is Angelic Layer with Gundams. Its not a real Gundam series.

Thats the main reason I want to watch it! The other reason is Aila.

My time disappeared a lot when I started working full-time.

Yeah it happens. Trading time for money.

sonicmj1

I don't care who's the internet celebrity or the twitter star or the AnimeSuki or AnimeGaf news guy or whatever. I don't claim to be the nicest guy on AnimeGaf but I just think that directly insulting another member and trying to get other people to engage in mass bullying for no apparent reason is tacky.

Word. No need to start drama.

I don't care who's the internet celebrity or the twitter star or the AnimeSuki or AnimeGaf news guy or whatever. I don't claim to be the nicest guy on AnimeGaf but I just think that directly insulting another member and trying to get other people to engage in mass bullying for no apparent reason is tacky.

Well if anything, it'll give him some tack. Just not the tact he was looking for.

Gazoinks

Non Non Biyori 06
2smPbVul.jpg

I think I'm going to stop doing episode reviews for this show. I'm enjoying it, but I can't think of much stuff to say on an episode-to-episode basis. I'll do a series review once I'm done.

Cute, funny, etc. Especially the last night sequence and Renge at Hotaru's house.

cajunator

Banned

Articalys

CorvoSol

CAJUNATOR NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagnabbit. I've been a terrible influence.

Articalys

what happened in here D:
An Avex YouTube channel posted an HD version of the first Captain Earth PV from a couple days ago, the same one that Vito posted a bit up the page. I happened to see it show up in my YouTube subscriptions right when it was released and decided to post it in the AnimeSuki thread for the show because, hey, Bones 2D mecha in HD are awesome, right? Apparently it amused Vito when he saw my post there or something. Then I don't know why everyone else here decided to do what they did.

Sorry if I caused any drama; honestly wasn't trying to.

CorvoSol

10 seconds into Gundam Build Fighters 12 and Ramba Ral just said "In the middle of a fight, Ramba Ral forgot to fight!" which is more or less the last thing he says to his wife in MSG. I love this show so much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So which banned poster was being possessed by a ghost?
Ghost Banri is in us all!

Non Non Biyori
qcRipSSl.jpg

:firehawk?

3ZM5yjml.jpg

And you know, for whatever reason, I'm okay with this show literally saying good bye to me. Probably because it's so laid back that a last moment of self-awareness is perfectly fine as a moment of emotional catharsis now that something that I liked is now over. Certainly, they earned it!

Jm1LDhZl.png

Also, Yoshida or the original author or whomever made the right choice by making Renge the main character of the show in the latter half. She makes this show more than just your typical 4 girl anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom