• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Looks like he also did 8 episodes of FMA:B. Maybe I should watch that. I really liked the original, but kind of assumed nobody was going to beat Yutapon's action scenes and never watched Brotherhood.

Wooooooooooooow. You missed the birth of legendary new action animator Yoshimichi Kameda. Literally. :(

Gundam G Fighter

Lol windmole gundam, no abilities or whatsoever :p

bGzVUbq.jpg

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 06

Is the Gamilan emperor's throne back a giant, clenched fist? Awesome.

Wonder what the deal is with pointy-ears girl.

I think the satellite reflector footage is recycled, but those are short animations and I'm not gonna begrudge a little cost-saving.

The Yamato's submarine mode, complete with a goddamn periscope, is totally nuts. I love it.

Schultz really ought to know his own organization well enough to understand that fleeing from defeat isn't going to get him anything besides an execution for cowardice.

CorvoSol

Cyber City Oedo 808 1

Honestly none of these cop shows belong on the List. They belong in a separate "Shitty police anime OVA from the 80s to early 90s" box. They don't really share the features of other List shows, but seem to be on there because they're super awful, except that the beauty of other things on the List has been insanity, where these cop shows are just really, really bad.

This show is no exception. There's been less blood, but to make up for it, we instead have more swearing than I manage to put into a single angry post spewed in ten minutes. Like I feel like someone pulled up a dictionary of obscenities and just put that down for dialogue. It's boring, repetitive, and it'd be offensive if I hadn't ridden on a public school bus in the seventh grade.

Which is a very important experience to mention in conjunction with this anime, by the way. The whole thing is every much so the kind of thing a seventh grader might dream up and write about, except for the fact that for once in these awful police shows, sex seems to not be a present element at all. Indeed, the only female cast member turned out to be male! Of course the pretty boy was nowhere near as useful as our hardened, pompadour sporting, massive shoulderpadded, bitter, curse-slinging hero.

And for the first time in an anime, I heard someone use the term
cock sucker
, which drew my attention the first time, but the next forty times it was repeated in that minute I no longer responded the same way at all.

But basically crummy 80s-90s future police OVAs are a category entirely separate from the sublime insanity that is The List.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka's actually pretty easy to watch. It's a show that will never fail to put you in a good mood.

I think it was just about the perfect length. Especially given how perfect Episode 11 was as a piece of television. If the arc was en episode shorter, there wouldn't have been enough time for everything to come together.

Well watching Misaki always puts me in a great mood.

Maybe that's why Kyoani made KnK. After all these years of tearing anime fans apart, they can make something that brings them together.

Ive enjoyed everything they have made to some degree or another.

Wooooooooooooow. You missed the birth of legendary new action animator Yoshimichi Kameda. Literally. :(

Just looked him up and it appears I have made a mistake. At least I've seen his work on Milos and Gargantia! I'm really tempted to watch some Brotherhood sakuga gifs, but I'll exercise some willpower and wait to watch it in full res.

jman2050

If my disdain for their lame criticisms is too evident, it's only because they are also so lazy about it.

One-liner dismissive arguments tend to produce a bad atmosphere and hostility from both sides. If you dislike something(or like something), you should only comment if you're also prepared to justify your assertions. You don't have to write an essay, but one-liner arguments rarely suffice.

I just think it's best to leave well enough alone a good portion of the time. I should know, my previous constant badgering of the K-On fanbase didn't help anyone!

Also despite liking the show it's mildly grating hearing certain people talk about how wonderful and perfect Hyouka is at the slightest provocation but that's more of a personal problem I admit.

duckroll

The CG by Orange seem to be at least on the same level as Majestic Prince, which is good. I wonder if they'll have action scenes which match Akito the Exiled though...

The textures look really good.

The CG by Orange seem to be at least on the same level as Majestic Prince, which is good. I wonder if they'll have action scenes which match Akito the Exiled though...

Without Akane probably not, but they should still be pretty good.

The textures look really good.

Texturing is the big issue that I think makes a lot of anime CG look unattractive (I'm talking about you, Sanzigen), but Orange has figured out how to do it right. Looking at the shots you posted reminds me of their work on Ghost in the Shell Arise.

The thing I'm most fond of in that PV is the art setting though.

zeroshiki

I'd say the main problem is that the few remaining detractors don't really make any arguments against it, they just make one-line dismissive posts over and over again.

Not true.

They also assign imaginary background and character motivations to side characters who do nothing and then claim the show only becomes good because of them.

CorvoSol

Dual!! Parallel Trouble Adventures 9

Never change, 90s mecha anime, never change. This episode had a lot of good fights going down, had the true villain step up to the plate, and saw some good drama in that the two principle mecha involved in the fight were not exactly wanting to fight each other. Lots of good wham lines, "The pilot of that mecha is
YOU!!!
" and of course some relationship and also mecha upgrades. If Shinji/Tenchi's first mech looked like the ARX-8 Laevatein, his new one is somewhere between Alfonse from FMA and Gauron's Codarl.

duckroll

Not true.

They also assign imaginary background and character motivations to side characters who do nothing and then claim the show only becomes good because of them.

anyone who doesnt like hyouka can just lie face down on the ground and stop breathing. problem solved

This is getting pretty rude tbh. It's always stupid to see a group of fans get so stuck up and defensive that they try to preempt negativity before it even happens. Desperate much?

zeroshiki

This is getting pretty rude tbh. It's always stupid to see a group of fans get so stuck up and defensive that they try to preempt negativity before it even happens. Desperate much?

I don't see any preempting and while I can't speak for wonzo, I don't think either of those were meant to be taken seriously.

The arguments have gotten so played out that we're now resorting to parodies of those arguments.

Theonik

Hyouka 14
ibs1utkF12PXgZ.gif

Chitanda so waifu
That cooking contest. Also Oreki's trading puzzle comes to its epic conclusion.
We also get the source for more Hyouka gifs.
A scene I found particularly well made was the one
with Mayaka looking through her stuff, notably when she was remembering the joy of reading manga she found in her collection. Another impressive part of the scene is the amount of thought and detail that went into drawing her room. (they probably lifted it from somewhere like they usually do but still)
Edit: Also
that start where Chitanda realises Oreki may have seen her pictures.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 14

That cooking contest. Also Oreki's trading puzzle comes to its epic conclusion.
We also get the source for more Hyouka gifs.
A scene I found particularly well made was the one
with Mayaka looking through her stuff, notably when she was remembering the joy of reading manga she found in her collection. Another impressive part of the scene is the amount of thought and detail that went into drawing her room. (they probably lifted it from somewhere like they usually do but still)

10/10 would draw with nekomimi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom