• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
BYzj60KIEAAs3gi.jpg:large

The dangers of incest.

Thats absolutely horrific.

Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 6

Raishin, was it really a good idea to carry out a lengthy conversation while hanging motionless on a ladder with people shooting guns up the shaft straight at you? Did you not notice the fact that there was a bullet practically grazing your face almost once per second? By all rights you should be dead.

Then in your first proper tournament match you come up with the bright idea of
shielding Yaya from the full force of a massive magical sword slash with your own body
. I'm pretty sure this is not a valid strategy by any stretch of the imagination. And this is in the same episode that a doctor pointed out that you heal more slowly than a normal human. YOU FAIL AT SELF-PRESERVATION FOREVER.

Its Yaya. Id totally take a sword slash to the face for Yaya. Well in an anime. I imagine IRL that would suck.

ADHD

Hyouka is hard to watch when you'd rather be bouncing off walls.

Hyouka is hard to watch under any circumstance sometimes.

CorvoSol

It's what that particular series of novels is called.

It's called that because the second season covers five books.

Also it's totally worth your time.

Got it. Well, all in due time, then. Pretty sure Cajun'd flip his lid if I watched this prior to Arjuna, hahaha.

hum convincing copycat of a normal anime viewer ..however you've seen a part of THE LIST , so i know you can pay attention !

Hasn't even started watching and he is already complaining about the author choices !

j/k

True, true.

The movie arc dragged on for too long.

I was okay with its length honestly, but to each their own.

The reason KyoAni is making stuff like KnK now is to appeal to Hyouka-haters.

In all honesty, dialogue wise from the beginning, I thought I was feeling shades of KnK writing, but nowhere near as bad, but it became better over the course of the show. It's why I'm commenting on how I like the improvements to the show, because the less it reminds me of KnK, the better.
Of course, it also has the benefit of not sucking at any point.

Discussion around Hyouka has gotten so toxic here it's kind of saddening.

Well I think part of it could be due to their descent, but I think the constant mentions of Hyouka, which are far more prevalent than some examples
like Precure
per topic, as well as butting heads in regards to this show is part of the reason. Nevermind it was apparently AOTY2012, so that could be another reason.

Yowamushi Pedal 6

You can tell when Reiko Yoshida wrote an episode, because the dialogue in her episodes tends to flow smoother than in the episodes written by someone else. Still, this was a fun episode and it's nice to get to the first real race of the series.
Glad that Onoda was able to swap to the road racer; I appreciate that the series didn't try to present him as so magically talented he could win with an ordinary bike.

I am really enjoying this post-credits subplot with Onoda introducing Imaizumi to the, um, unique wonders of magical girl anime.

jman2050

I'd say the main problem is that the few remaining detractors don't really make any arguments against it, they just make one-line dismissive posts over and over again.

You also contribute to that toxic atmosphere, among others, but to be fair that's not entirely your fault.

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 6

It felt like most of this episode was sakuga, that's how awesome it looked. The pacing was impressive as well; the action was spread out and each character given screen time, avoiding any boring moments without making things feel rushed. That balance was struck well in both this and the previous episode, where Ao and Kotoha were featured a bit more. The last sequence was an interesting turn of events and a visual delight.

This might actually be the show I'm enjoying the most this season at the moment. On top of being quality, it's like it was designed to appeal to me. Urban fantasy with off-the-wall action set to electronic music, crazy lightning and dust effects and Kotoha's voice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man, it's been days/weeks since I watched a bit of anime. Been watching stuff on the box again (Masterchef, Truckers). So much like when I got tired of tv and I turned to anime, I've now gone back to tele because I over binged on anime. That and I guess nothing this season has truly grabbed me.

Jarmel

Banned
I'd say the main problem is that the few remaining detractors don't really make any arguments against it, they just make one-line dismissive posts over and over again.

How many times have we had the same damn argument over this? How many times? Nobody is changing their opinion and it's a waste of time for both sides.

Branduil

You also contribute to that toxic atmosphere, among others, but to be fair that's not entirely your fault.

If my disdain for their lame criticisms is too evident, it's only because they are also so lazy about it.

One-liner dismissive arguments tend to produce a bad atmosphere and hostility from both sides. If you dislike something(or like something), you should only comment if you're also prepared to justify your assertions. You don't have to write an essay, but one-liner arguments rarely suffice.

cajunator

Banned
Man, it's been days/weeks since I watched a bit of anime. Been watching stuff on the box again (Masterchef, Truckers). So much like when I got tired of tv and I turned to anime, I've now gone back to tele because I over binged on anime. That and I guess nothing this season has truly grabbed me.

I know how that is. Occasionally it happens to me. I just get tired of doing one thing and move on.

How many times have we had the same damn argument over this? How many times? Nobody is changing their opinion and it's a waste of time for both sides.

I'm not even sure what the argument is about. I even liked the show. I just didnt love it.

Hyouka 11.5

Poolside hijinx with a more boring Oreki. And puns.

The SISTER is back and stacked for orders (cough). Not a recap at least.

Jarmel

Banned
If my disdain for their lame criticisms is too evident, it's only because they are also so lazy about it.

One-liner dismissive arguments tend to produce a bad atmosphere and hostility from both sides. If you dislike something(or like something), you should only comment if you're also prepared to justify your assertions. You don't have to write an essay, but one-liner arguments rarely suffice.

I have literally written paragraphs about my issues with the show before. Ultimately it's a subjective thing and you among others disagree. Why should I continually write essentially the same argument with almost assuredly the same outcome?

Gbraga

Non Non Biyori 06

Why does it have to end? :(

This is just so freaking cute, I want more Hotarun in my life :(

And
Nyanpasu!
makes a remarkable return.

Branduil

I have literally written paragraphs about my issues with the show before. Ultimately it's a subjective thing and you among others disagree. Why should I continually write essentially the same argument with almost assuredly the same outcome?

I wasn't talking about you.

On the plus side, Hyouka arguments are still less mind-numbing than gaming side.

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 6

New bike get!
Now it is SERIOUS ONODA TIME.

That said, the after-credits sequence was more entertaining than the actual episode, lol. I want to see more in the saga of Imaizumi's magical girl adventures! Go go Onoda, sneakily transform the cycling club into the anime club you always dreamed of! XD

Yozakura ep6 was crazy. It was like OVA animation. Definitely the best action scene this season/year.

"Monogatari Series" is how the overall series is called.

Monogatari Series First Season:
* Bakemonogatari
* Kizumonogatari
* Nisemonogatari
* Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Monogatari Series Second Season:
* Nekomonogatari (Shiro)
* Kabukimonogatari
* Hanamonogatari
* Otorimonogatari
* Onimonogatari
* Koimonogatari

Monogatari Series Final Season:
* Tsukimonogatari
* Koyomimonogatari
* Owarimonogatari
* Zoku-Owarimonogatari

I swear they're just making up prefixes now. IThere are only like 6 girls right and I know each is associate with an animal but the rest makes no sense.

Hyouka is hard to watch under any circumstance sometimes.

Hyouka's actually pretty easy to watch. It's a show that will never fail to put you in a good mood.

The movie arc dragged on for too long.

I think it was just about the perfect length. Especially given how perfect Episode 11 was as a piece of television. If the arc was en episode shorter, there wouldn't have been enough time for everything to come together.

Katte Ni Kaizou [series]

Over-all, very enjoyable and short series. This would have probably been a very good way to introduce people into the type of humor of the mangaka of Zetsubou Sensei. In fact, the bald glasses guy, who I assume is one of the animators in Shaft, also makes an appearance here. And the character of Umi is practically the archetype of the perfectly even hair psycho girl of Zetsubou Sensei. Some of the voices I recognized as well from the show,

So yeah, if you ever are considering watching Zetsubou Sensei, which has like 40+ episodes, watch this 6 episode show and see if the humor interests you first. SZS is more social commentary but the similarities are too great.

He's not. He's one of Koji Kumeta's assistants, Maeda.

Theonik

Hyouka 13
iXkkMRcuVoMBP.gif

:animeGAF
The Oreki situation is starting to remind me of a Lucasarts adventure game now where you go around and have to trade things until you get what you want.
Also things start disappearing or so it seems. And Sata~n loses.
festivals so magical.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maybe that's why Kyoani made KnK. After all these years of tearing anime fans apart, they can make something that brings them together.

BluWacky

Maybe that's why Kyoani made KnK. After all these years of tearing anime fans apart, they can make something that brings them together.

They made Kyoukai no Kanata because we wanted them to.

Back when the original CM aired it didn't have catgirl maid mums and glasses fetishes in; it was entirely devoted to action, save maybe one shot? There was no picture given of the horrors that lay within the dialogue - not even in the on screen text.

False advertising indeed.

duckroll

Let's talk about Iwao Teraoka. The guy storyboarded both Yozakura 6 and Build Fighter 6. How good is he at choreographing action? Soooo good. :D

Let's talk about Iwao Teraoka. The guy storyboarded both Yozakura 6 and Build Fighter 6. How good is he at choreographing action? Soooo good. :D

Looks like he also did 8 episodes of FMA:B. Maybe I should watch that. I really liked the original, but kind of assumed nobody was going to beat Yutapon's action scenes and never watched Brotherhood.

duckroll

The new Ando?

I don't really think he has any directing ambitions, so probably not. He's just an animator who worked for years at Sunrise before starting to storyboard a lot of action stuff. I think starting with Ergo Proxy and Bakumatsu Iroha. I notice him from time to time, like when he did good episodes in Gundam 00, but I was just reminded of his talent a lot yesterday since I watched Yozakura 6 and Build Fighters 6 on the same day, and they both have superb melee action.

Hyouka 12

Chitendo needs to learn how to filter, she keeps getting side tracked when she has anthros to sell!

Habanero is already on the down slopes without even doing anything. Database be databasing, Oreki being.... lazy I guess. Giving props on the fact that the festival will be fleshed out and won't be a 2 episode affair, but it's more important to see how it ends in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom