• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When people keep going...

Xbuko.jpg

...without fail whenever Hyouka is mentioned, it can stick in your mind, even coloring your perceptions of not-so-negative remarks. Then when I saw it for myself, my main reaction was, "Wait, what gives? This isn't that at all!" and then I post it I see the same invariable response...

Xbuko.jpg

...and I really have one of two choices here. Either I get confrontational because you're clearly not allowing me any middle ground here, or I walk away from the thread because I'd have been unwilling or unable to make my own case in the face of such persistent opposition. My personality dictates the former, but multiple other people in this thread trend to the latter. Once again with others watching it, we see the same thing repeat.

Is it really worth drawing such a line over this show? I've seen too many actual boring shows to see why.

zeroshiki

http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/11/12/16287.html

Now this is how you promote an arty movie if you're the biggest animation studio in Japan. Studio Ghibli will be giving out a million sets of promotional blu-ray+DVDs containing the first 6 minutes of Kaguyahime to anyone who buys a movie ticket in any of Japan's 344 cinemas nationwide, starting on November 16.

The bastards are trying to circumvent the cheapskates who buy pre-sale tickets from convenience stores or resell shops that costs 500 less! Arggghhh...

Personnal opinion :

Hyouka wasn't boring .. i was entertained until the end . The cast was solid , the animation perfect and the plot did a lot with not that much ... it's far from being boring. i just wish that
the ending was more conclusive

CorvoSol

Don't worry it's nowhere close to the LIST , it's legit fun and legit entertaining , aren't you seeing people posting impressions each sunday ? We are loving this franchise.

To be honest I only pay attention to reviews of shows I expect I will want to watch, and until very recently I was not really interested in this series, haha.

Jesus man, you can't just put everything on The List.

Too true. Earlier today I moved to strike all 80s-90s Futuristic Police OVAs from The List because they don't really fit in with what The List appears to be to me. A show where they casually mention that the protagonist is a recovering vampire and has a love interest who wields protractors as weapons, on the other hand, sounds exactly like something that might go on.

However, I'm only one episode in, so I don't know anything about Monogatari and can't really say. Just that that one aspect of the show is pretty damn trippy. As was the part of the episode with all the white noise while they're talking.

So are we on the precipice of another fandom meltdowning here?

Look, if you look at my PERSONAL palette, you WILL see that Sonic's eyes are indeed GREEN.

santeesioux

Yowamushi Pedal 6

Been enjoying the show so far! I'm glad it's slated for 30+ episodes as I like the pace it has set for itself. I don't think I'd be enjoying the show as much if they tried to condense it into one cour. This show seems to be going at a slower pace than other sports anime, but I feel like it fits the tone of the show. We'll see if I still feel the same once races versus other schools start.

Also,
I'm so happy Onoda finally has a proper bike! Looking forward to how he handles it.
Have a feeling I'll continue holding off reading the manga until the anime finishes so that I can continue watching the show blind.

Also hello everyone this is my first time posting in the anime thread.

I thought it was only 12 episodes, this pleases me.

Personnal opinion :

Hyouka wasn't boring .. i was entertained until the end . The cast was solid , the animation perfect and the plot did a lot with not that much ... it's far from being boring. i just wish that

Yeah this was my issue. Either that or a second season, but the latter isn't happening anytime soon if at all

Soma

Personnal opinion :

Eh, it felt pretty conclusive to me. I remember my knee-jerk reaction was being slightly disappointed that
the "confession" didn't really happen, but reflecting back on that scene, it just wouldn't make sense in the context of everything.
It was a very appropriate way to end the show.

It did leave itself open to more material which would be nice and all (depending if the material is good or not) but isn't really necessary.

Narag

Aku no Hana 8

jesus christ

Loved that opening walk with Nakamura and Kasuga. Felt like they consummated their relationship with the intimacy of the classroom destruction. Walking together like that it felt like they were equals if just then, complicit partners rather than the master/client thing they had going previously.

Then that ending when Saeki finds Nakamura and Kasuga. Nakamura had this territorial look that was frightening. If that wasn't enough, Saeki figuring out Kasuga's role in everything was such an "oh shit" moment.

zeroshiki

I don't think so. It seems like they'll be giving it out to anyone who watches a movie on Saturday.

Oh... wow. I misread and thought they were giving it to the people who watched Kaguya-hime as some kind of bonus. Holy shit, they're giving it to everyone. Ok, time to find a movie to watch.

Bakemonogatari 1

Visually speaking, the show is very attractive. There's a lot of detail and wonderful use of color and all those things for people who aren't filthy plebs like me and cannot really appreciate that. The show is pretty and hell, even the CG looked nice.

The plot though . . . was pretty confusing. Like, here's what I got out of it. Arara (I know that's not his name, but it reminds me of the bird and those birds are awesome) is like, hanging around planning the school festival with a girl whose panties he saw while thinking about a girl I guess he caught after slipping on a banana, and then he follows her and she is crazy skilled with school supplies as weapons, and they go to meet a man who can cure her of her absurd lack of weight (caused by a Crab God). They know he can help because he cured our parrot protagonist of being a vampire.

I think that's more or less the set up, and you'll all surely forgive me for going "Uh, what?" at that.

Don't worry; the plot is quite comprehensible. It's just the first episode, really.

I really need to rewatch Bake. It's been close to two years.

I used to really enjoy mystery stories. I've been considering giving Hyouka a shot, but what kind of mystery show is it exactly?

A horror-mystery?
A psychological mind-screwing mystery story?
Or is it one of those mystery stories where the big twist comes that makes you go: "HOLY SHIT. How could I not see that coming?!? It makes perfect sense!" Cause those kinds are my favourites.

Branduil

I used to really enjoy mystery stories. I've been considering giving Hyouka a shot, but what kind of mystery show is it exactly?

A horror-mystery?
Or is it one of those mystery stories where the big twist comes that makes you go: "HOLY SHIT. How could I not see that coming?!? It makes perfect sense!" Cause those kinds are my favourites.

Slice of mystery.

A horror-mystery?

It's not really any of those.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

A horror-mystery?
First of all, scrap the idea of it being about mysteries. It's about the four members of a club where entirely everyday mysteries happen to come up, and these get handled through critical thinking.

Basically like how you don't watch K-ON to see a band practice and perform.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
First of all, scrap the idea of it being about mysteries. It's about the four members of a club where entirely everyday mysteries happen to come up, and these get handled through critical thinking.

Basically like how you don't watch K-ON to see a band practice and perform.

So a lot of cake is eaten and a lot of tea is drunken then?

Eh, it felt pretty conclusive to me. I remember my knee-jerk reaction was being slightly disappointed that
the "confession" didn't really happen, but reflecting back on that scene, it just wouldn't make sense in the context of everything.
It was a very appropriate way to end the show.

It did leave itself open to more material which would be nice and all (depending if the material is good or not) but isn't really necessary.

They should have advanced things far enough to at least imly something, even if it'snot official. fell like they missed the final ( obvious ) step.

A horror-mystery?
None of the above .

i mean there are plenty of mysteries in hyouka , it's just different.

Gazoinks

Aku no Hana 8

jesus christ

Loved that opening walk with Nakamura and Kasuga. Felt like they consummated their relationship with the intimacy of the classroom destruction. Walking together like that it felt like they were equals if just then, complicit partners rather than the master/client thing they had going previously.

Then that ending when Saeki finds Nakamura and Kasuga. Nakamura had this territorial look that was frightening. If that wasn't enough, Saeki figuring out Kasuga's role in everything was such an "oh shit" moment.

Yeeeah. That scene was really powerful for something so incredibly minimal. Looking forward to reading your impressions on the rest of the series.

A horror-mystery?

I'm going to say Hyouka is probably not the mystery show you're looking for.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So a lot of cake is eaten and a lot of tea is drunken then?
Well, I mean it's more about the characters and their interactions. You do get mysteries and there are a couple "woah" moments, but it's mostly in their everyday context. Basically, reasoning skills aren't just for murders and similar crime scenes.

Mostly positive outside of Corvo and someone else I think.

Is it on Netflix?

If you're an Amazon Prime member it's free to stream on Amazon. Their selection sucks in general compared to Netflix, but I swear I never use my Netflix and use Amazon Prime for other things.

All I know is the TvTropes summary that one time I looked it up.

It made it sound kinda more appealing than Eva. >.>

When am I going to get around to watching Eva anyway?

Evangelion is probably better, I'm just liking this more for some reason. Keep in mind I am very easy to please and don't always go with the crowd.

Nyaa

I don't like it. I was bored and thought it was really unoriginal. It's pretty and has nice music, though. I may have said some rather nasty things about it at one point, but if you're enjoying it, good on you.

How dare you not have the same opinion as me?!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Havent really commented in here this week, but will say this week all goes to monogatari for being consistently quality

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 17

I had generally decided to stop doing impressions for this show since nobody was reading them anyway, but I felt compelled to write one here since I feel this was the best episode in the series so far. The dynamic between Haruhi and Kyoya was really, really good, and the ending of the episode was the perfect way to end this. What's funny was that a theme of this episode was comparing and contrasting Kyoya with Tamaki, yet throughout the episode what's explored is not just how Kyoya and Tamaki have more in common than Kyoya thinks, but also that Kyoya and Haruhi have a lot in common as well. Both are very analytical and have the ability to notice very small details. They also have the great ability to tell what a person is thinking and determining their motivations and actions. And as was shown, both, in their own ways, are good people who want to help people and do the right thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ouran High School Host Club 17

I had generally decided to stop doing impressions for this show since nobody was reading them anyway, but I felt compelled to write one here since I feel this was the best episode in the series so far. The dynamic between Haruhi and Kyoya was really, really good, and the ending of the episode was the perfect way to end this. What's funny was that a theme of this episode was comparing and contrasting Kyoya with Tamaki, yet throughout the episode what's explored is not just how Kyoya and Tamaki have more in common than Kyoya thinks, but also that Kyoya and Haruhi have a lot in common as well. Both are very analytical and have the ability to notice very small details. They also have the great ability to tell what a person is thinking and determining their motivations and actions. And as was shown, both, in their own ways, are good people who want to help people and do the right thing.
I'm reading them! I just don't have much to say. It's been a while so I kind of forget a lot of the details past the first two eps.

Igarashi going full-on Utena-level shoujo is just impossible for me not to enjoy, though.

Corvo hates it. I haven't watched it, but have been meaning to. I love Chiaki Konaka, so it's a given.

Jesus this guy did Ghost Hound, Serial Experiment Lain AND Texhnolycantspellthis? I can see it for the first and latter, at least from what I've seen. Still need to finish/start those last two.

As to Evangelion comparissons, there's an episode that is trippy as shit, just finished it (11). I swear this came straight out of "how to write Evangelion 101"

The reason I mentioned the ED of Monster earlier today is because the ED for this, with the shaking grainy drawing and the really 2spooky atmosphere reminded me too much of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJEpIqWstA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom