• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I'm reading them! I just don't have much to say. It's been a while so I kind of forget a lot of the details past the first two eps.

Igarashi going full-on Utena-level shoujo is just impossible for me not to enjoy, though.

Yeah I guess it is a fairly old show. And huh, I didn't realize Igarashi directed this show. This actually explains quite a bit.

jbug617

Banned
Non Non Biyori 6

I do think they are over doing Hotaru obsession with Komari. Also Renge still the best.

5A2q7X8.gif

Yowamushi Pedal 06

Pretty cool to see the main character wants to race now.

Imaizumi is slowly turning into an otaku by force it seems like, haha

Slice of mystery.

It's not really any of those.

First of all, scrap the idea of it being about mysteries. It's about the four members of a club where entirely everyday mysteries happen to come up, and these get handled through critical thinking.

Basically like how you don't watch K-ON to see a band practice and perform.

None of the above .

i mean there are plenty of mysteries in hyouka , it's just different.

I'm going to say Hyouka is probably not the mystery show you're looking for.

Really? In that case I might just take a look at it then. I didn't mention a slice-of-life mystery kind of show because I usually don't see those kinds of mystery shows. I didn't mean to come off as someone who doesn't enjoy those kinds of stories.

I might just take a look this now.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann 22-27
Wow. This was a fantastic ride through especially these last few episodes. The battles were very epic.
Keaton's
Death was quite marvelous. Gurren Lagann's transformation were amazingly getting cooler and cooler. That last scene where
Nia disappeared
almost made me tear up.The evolutionary theme was cool. A theme I started to notice was broken love. Despite characters falling in love, most of the time the characters do not get reciprocated really.
Simon's first love was Yoko who fell in with Kamina before he had a chance to confess and his second love was Nia which he was friendzoned until he proposes. Soon after the proposal, Nia is forced on opposite side, then she disappears right after get married. Yoko is similar as both Kamina and Keaton both died after they confessed their love to her. There were a few other characters as well like Virel in his dream.
Overall this show is fantastic

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 07
svJuSfKl.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the helmet reflection

Nice character-based transitional episode. It was cool learning bits about the various crewmembers, I'm glad so many of them are being fleshed out.

Love triangle on the horizon...
Although I honestly see no way that Yuki won't win. She's the more plot-important "special" one after all. Also amnesia weeeeeeeeeee.

Niimi is fishy.

Ookiku Furikabutte - The Summer Tournament Chapter 05

Even I started feeling for the other team after they lost.

Still great character development for Hanai as well.

Hyouka 13

Day 1 is over.

Manganerds are jerkasses.

Oreki merely doing his trading sequences while looking at lewd photos of Chitendo. He sure does get to do nothing all day. Suits him I guess... And probably because he doesn't need the limelight. Give it to the others instead.

Seems we're getting some ideas for some mysteries, but no initiatives have been taken yet, so lets see where that goes as well.

cajunator

Banned
Really hope someone license rescues this and actually releases the series in full with physical discs. At least VIZ is going to re-release the manga in a 2-in-1 omnibus version next year.

viz is complete shit and will never not be. They have done unforgiveable things.

Bakemonogatari 1

Visually speaking, the show is very attractive. There's a lot of detail and wonderful use of color and all those things for people who aren't filthy plebs like me and cannot really appreciate that. The show is pretty and hell, even the CG looked nice.

The plot though . . . was pretty confusing. Like, here's what I got out of it. Arara (I know that's not his name, but it reminds me of the bird and those birds are awesome) is like, hanging around planning the school festival with a girl whose panties he saw while thinking about a girl I guess he caught after slipping on a banana, and then he follows her and she is crazy skilled with school supplies as weapons, and they go to meet a man who can cure her of her absurd lack of weight (caused by a Crab God). They know he can help because he cured our parrot protagonist of being a vampire.

I think that's more or less the set up, and you'll all surely forgive me for going "Uh, what?" at that.

Its worthy Corvy. You have to get used to nisioisins very wordy style of writing. Lots of squee anx fine waifus await thee.

Nordicus

A Certain Magical Index 1-9

There are some clever little bits of writing in this show, even though it's pretty damn shounen action a lot of the time. I like how characters on both sides can fuck up and act from wrong assumptions. Like the whole yearly memory killing ritual for example, while I did not pay attention to the 15% and 85% numbers or how gaining too many memories into your brain isn't *actually* lethal, because I'm not going to question things in a shonen action anime of all things, but it was really fucking suspicious how she'd supposedly die if her memories weren't erased every year at the same time on the dot. That was too convenient even for anime and thankfully the series kind of acknowledged that

Touma is both really cool and really annoying. He handles memory loss extremely well and manages to even keep it secret most of the time so far. I also like how he doesn't take shit and dishes it back in equal amounts. However, this also means he's really fucking preachy at times and I hope he'll some day get interrupted during one of his whining sessions with a nice big fist to the face.

That's one hell of a smile

Edit: A Certain Magical Index 10

You spin me right 'round, baby
Right 'round like a record, baby
Right 'round, 'round, 'round

Cngbull.gif

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 08
nzkw1M8l.jpg

You know he's evil 'cause his goblet is spiked

The person on Desler's mural looks exactly like the Iscandarians.

Schulz's death was a bit sad, he should've joined the Yamato instead because Gamilans aren't very nice.

Okita is a cool dude.
Who is totally going to die at some point.

Dresden

yowamushi pedal - 06

It didn't occur to me until the halfway point of the episode, but using the annoying know-it-all character as an expository device is not only deft, but also a bit of a sly commentary on the obtrusiveness of exposition in the first place. Just something that amused me as the character oh-so-patiently explained the various intricacies of road racers and racing with said racers.

It was a good episode, but the real treat should be in episode eight or so as they near the final stretch of the race. Happy with how well paced it all is, despite the relative slowness of the story itself.

Nothing says fuck yeah like putting on fingerless gloves.

Articalys

All numbers estimates

Free! vol.3 -- 27,200 BD+DVD
Symphogear G vol.2 -- 7,000 BD+DVD (almost 4k drop from vol.1, which had the concert ticket)
Hataraku Maou-sama vol.5 -- 9,100 BD+DVD
Watamote vol.2 -- 1,100 BD

Really boring sales week.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
All numbers estimates

Free! vol.3 -- 27,200 BD+DVD
Symphogear G vol.2 -- 7,000 BD+DVD (almost 4k drop from vol.1, which had the concert ticket)
Hataraku Maou-sama vol.5 -- 9,100 BD+DVD
Watamote vol.2 -- 1,100 BD

Really boring sales week.

With Maou-sama doing so well, I'ma be really disappointed if we don't get a second season.

Also hey guys. I've been MIA because Guided Fate Paradox is so damn good it's taking up all my time. :lol Most fun I've ever had with a NIS game.

RahXephon 19

Holy crap I thought I was done with this after Clannad AS god dammit
Uyk11Lo.gif

Very powerful episode. Easily the best of the show.
Asahina you poor thing rest in peace

sonicmj1

Bakemonogatari 1

Visually speaking, the show is very attractive. There's a lot of detail and wonderful use of color and all those things for people who aren't filthy plebs like me and cannot really appreciate that. The show is pretty and hell, even the CG looked nice.

The plot though . . . was pretty confusing. Like, here's what I got out of it. Arara (I know that's not his name, but it reminds me of the bird and those birds are awesome) is like, hanging around planning the school festival with a girl whose panties he saw while thinking about a girl I guess he caught after slipping on a banana, and then he follows her and she is crazy skilled with school supplies as weapons, and they go to meet a man who can cure her of her absurd lack of weight (caused by a Crab God). They know he can help because he cured our parrot protagonist of being a vampire.

I think that's more or less the set up, and you'll all surely forgive me for going "Uh, what?" at that.

That's a pretty natural reaction.

Personally, I could never get the rhythm of Bakemonogatari, and once it hit the really bad arc, I bailed without regrets. I didn't latch on to the dialogue the way others did, and because of that, all I was left with was directing that just seemed to be showing off without saying much of anything or making things clearer.

From a different sort of perspective on negativity, I'd always thought that Now and Then, Here and There wasn't good based almost solely on Hitokage's impressions of it, but now I may have to reassess my dismissive attitude, since a friend of mine is getting me to watch it in exchange for Mouryou no Hako.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
From a different sort of perspective on negativity, I'd always thought that Now and Then, Here and There wasn't good based almost solely on Hitokage's impressions of it, but now I may have to reassess my dismissive attitude, since a friend of mine is getting me to watch it in exchange for Mouryou no Hako.
I mainly like citing NTHT to undermine Branduil's sense of elitism. Otherwise, it's not like I'd hate you for liking it or anything. I just would never agree with you. After all, Jexhius has an overall positive impression of it, and he'll always be a hero.

By all means, approach it with an open mind. If you're going to agree with me, I'd prefer it to not just be because I said it in the first place. (Although people like icarus and emunoz say it too...)

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 6

yowapeda6.jpg

This is like the mother of all shounen protag powerups so I can't wait to see Onoda rip shit up in the next episode.

wonzo

Banned
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 6

Seeing all the sakuga gifs from this ep was one thing but with all the music, voiceover work, and sound effects… omfg

EOTS

duckroll

Kanata is getting 5 webisodes in late Nov. Gag idol episodes by Taichi Ishidate and Hiroko Utsumi. That's definitely what they'll be packing into the 7th BD/DVD disc, so now the question is - is the series really 13 episodes? Or are they doing another OVA exactly like Chuu2? :p

bEwwDd5.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club 17

I had generally decided to stop doing impressions for this show since nobody was reading them anyway, but I felt compelled to write one here since I feel this was the best episode in the series so far.

I've been reading them. I just didn't have anything useful to add because it has been a long time since I watched it and I was mostly using your impressions to relive the show since I won't have time to do a rewatch anytime soon.

NeonZ

Goddamn just when I opened a new thread to ask... But what about season 2 and 3 from the original? Will they be remade or do the 26 episodes of 2199 cover everything?

2199 only remade the original season, and there's nothing announced regarding the sequels. It was pretty successful though, so it could happen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Look at the screens,
That duckroll posted for you,
And filled with lots of bloom,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

Aim for the Ace 6

The most interesting shots came at the beginning and end.

This is a rather abstract way to represent fall foliage. At least, I think that's what it's supposed to be.

And here the metaphorically snapped strings of the metaphorical racket (at least I think it's metaphorical) take on the appearance of flames dragging Hiromi down into hell, particularly with the fiery background and the high-contrast color scheme used on her. Indeed, hell is a good description of the situation she's found herself in. That "lottery" was rigged.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

There's plenty about this to like, though it's still very much in the introduction phase. In the abstract, I really like the setting. But all the echoes that suggest, "This is a WWII story told from Japan's perspective" (and making the centerpiece of your show the biggest battleship Japan built during the war kind of invites them) make me feel really weird about everything happening. Stories that cast the Japan of that era as an entirely innocent victim always rub me the wrong way.

I hope that feeling goes away once they get away from Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom