• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one hell of a smile

Edit: A Certain Magical Index 10

You spin me right 'round, baby
Right 'round like a record, baby
Right 'round, 'round, 'round

Cngbull.gif

Spinning never get old.
Trivia : She is like the only person in the show capable of accuratly move around by sitting on the top of cleaning robots and she does this by kicking them... In a super advanced technology city i just can't help but smile at that fact.

Viva the spinning

Theonik

Personnal opinion :

Hyouka wasn't boring .. i was entertained until the end . The cast was solid , the animation perfect and the plot did a lot with not that much ... it's far from being boring. i just wish that
the ending was more conclusive
It had a CG fan, and an umbrella!

Can I get my Kyoani hentai though?
Sadly no.

KYOANI FMP/HYOUKA CROSSOVER HENTAI.
Yo where the Lucky Star at.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Stories that cast the Japan of that era as an entirely innocent victim always rub me the wrong way.
It's not like the Japanese can't have a nuanced view that allows themselves to take anything positive from the period, either. They wanted to become an imperialist power like those from the west, and to a large extent they succeeded, just only after it had already gone out of style and not really making the right alliances in the process.

sonicmj1

It's not like the Japanese can't have a nuanced view that allows themselves to take anything positive from the period, either. They wanted to become an imperialist power like those from the west, and to a large extent they succeeded, just only after it had already gone out of style and not really making the right alliances in the process.

I understand that. I'm probably not being entirely fair, considering that they're taking that iconography and putting it in an entirely different universe. I shouldn't hold that stuff against the people of 2199 Earth if they actually are victims.

The stuff that worries me is when all the late-war suffering is depicted, but there's no sense of any connection with everything leading up to it. Like the atomic bomb just fell from space and landed on Hiroshima. Failing to acknowledge any of the nuance in between leaves room for the conservative hardliners to control a completely romantic depiction of Japanese militarism, even if tying those things together distracts, to some extent, from the real horrors of war that Japan suffered in that period, which still informs the country's pacifist bent.

I probably shouldn't digress anymore. It's not this show's fault, really.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
sonicmj1: Sorry, I was agreeing with you. My point was that there's no real need to simply deny everything when many other countries also exist today with blood on their hands. That's not even going into discussions about a ruling class having its way with a country and getting into wars for its own sake.

Dragoshi1

What anime was this?

BNVXkR3.jpg

I think Duckroll posted screencaps from whatever it is, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Reverse image searching it brought up Storage Wars for some reason.

sonicmj1

sonicmj1: Sorry, I was agreeing with you. My point was that there's no real need to simply deny everything when many other countries also exist today with blood on their hands. That's not even going into discussions about a ruling class having its way with a country and getting into wars for its own sake.

Ah, I see where I misread.

Yeah, nuance is good.

Yowamushi Pedal Episode 6
tumblr_mw4p4jNd9a1r928xlo1_500.png
tumblr_mw4p4jNd9a1r928xlo2_500.png

Naruko and Imaizumi comments continue to provide great laughter and joy. Beyond that they also have that understanding going on which really shows just how skilled they are compared to each other, especially during the scene when Kawada wanted to go ahead and then Imaizumi explained the change in speed once the straightway is reached etc.

I thought the van scene could have been better, came out a bit more comical then suspenseful/tragic though, then again probably moreso since we already knew it had a bike in it that he would be receiving from that brief tease earlier in the episode.

Yowamushi Pedal Episode 6

I thought the van scene could have been better, came out a bit more comical then suspenseful/tragic though, then again probably moreso since we already knew it had a bike in it that he would be receiving from that brief tease earlier in the episode.

I actually liked the little glimpse of the bike near the beginning as it upped my anticipation for when he'd actually get the bike (I've been waiting since the beginning of the series). By seeing the bike beforehand, you end up mentally telling Onoda to stop and let the van catch up so he can get his upgrade rather than pushing him on thinking he'd be taken out of the race.

Strike The Blood 6
tumblr_mvw3qvCsuj1sft3xeo1_500.gif

Valter is the character this anime has always needed. If he can have a larger role and still use incredible power then I think hes a great ally for the fourth progenitor.

Kind of odd target for the kidnappers group at the end to focus on the hacker, and Motoki needs a larger role than just the cell phone user.

cajunator

Banned
http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/11/12/16287.html

Now this is how you promote an arty movie if you're the biggest animation studio in Japan. Studio Ghibli will be giving out a million sets of promotional blu-ray+DVDs containing the first 6 minutes of Kaguyahime to anyone who buys a movie ticket in any of Japan's 344 cinemas nationwide, starting on November 16.

Veeeery nice artwork

Hyouka is occasionally boring, but at least in a pleasant way, like napping on a porch.

Ill agree to this. Its actually a good descriptor.

I used to really enjoy mystery stories. I've been considering giving Hyouka a shot, but what kind of mystery show is it exactly?

A horror-mystery?
A psychological mind-screwing mystery story?
Or is it one of those mystery stories where the big twist comes that makes you go: "HOLY SHIT. How could I not see that coming?!? It makes perfect sense!" Cause those kinds are my favourites.

Its moe mystery but not really. More just moe slice of school life.

cajunator

Banned
Now strip her bare~

WHat the hell is this?

I assume he means the author, NisiOisiN.

Yes him. That is quite a pen name!

Except it is full of noise if you zoom in due to a lack of optimisation. ;P

Any gif is just as entertaining as any other.

That's a pretty natural reaction.

Personally, I could never get the rhythm of Bakemonogatari, and once it hit the really bad arc, I bailed without regrets. I didn't latch on to the dialogue the way others did, and because of that, all I was left with was directing that just seemed to be showing off without saying much of anything or making things clearer.

From a different sort of perspective on negativity, I'd always thought that Now and Then, Here and There wasn't good based almost solely on Hitokage's impressions of it, but now I may have to reassess my dismissive attitude, since a friend of mine is getting me to watch it in exchange for Mouryou no Hako.

NTHT is one of those shows I liked a lot that animegaf doesnt seem to appreciate as much. Its no masterpiece by any means but watchable and interesting.

Look at the screens,
That duckroll posted for you,
And filled with lots of bloom,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

Dat filtering.

Articalys

Like I said, boring sales week.
Code:
2013 11/04~11/10 Anime BD List
*1 (**1)	---	15,984	15,984	**1	Free! v3
*2 (**4)	---	*7,930	*7,930	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v5
*3 (**5)	---	*6,263	*6,263	**1	Senki Zesshou Symphogear G v2
*4 (*14)	**1	*1,620	20,378	**2	Infinite Stratos 2 v1
*5 (*18)	---	*1,521	*1,521	**1	Heisei Tanuki Gassen Pom Poko
*6 (*20)	*34	*1,358	93,293	*16	Gekijouban Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hajimari no Monogatari / Eien no Monogatari LE
*7 (***)	---	*1,104	*1,104	**1	Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui v2
*8 (***)	---	**,873	**,873	**1	Genshiken Nidaime v3
*9 (***)	---	**,844	**,844	**1	OVA Tales of Symphonia The Animation Extended Trilogy BD Box
10 (***)	*18	**,713	38,545	**3	Monogatari Second Season v1 (Nekomonogatari Shiro v1)
Code:
2013 11/04~11/10 Anime DVD List
*1 (**2)	---	11,156	*,*11,156	**1	Free! v3
*2 (*13)	---	*2,640	*,**2,640	**1	Crayon Shin-chan Bakauma! B-kyuu Gourmet Survival!!
*4 (*24)	---	*1,838	*,**1,838	**1	ONE PIECE 15th Season Gyojintou-hen v12
*6 (*41)	---	*1,192	*,**1,192	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v5
*8 (*47)	*51	*1,106	1,221,323	620	Tonari no Totoro
*9 (***)	---	**,943	*,***,943	**1	Naruto Shippuuden Ninkai Taisen Kanata Kara no Kougeki v3
12 (***)	**8	**,700	*,**6,438	**2	Hetalia The Beautiful World v4
13 (***)	*10	**,697	*,**5,505	**2	Infinite Stratos 2 v1
14 (***)	---	**,663	*,***,663	**1	Senki Zesshou Symphogear G v2
19 (***)	100	**,606	*,521,699	566	Majo no Takkyuubin
20 (***)	*74	**,565	*,*27,205	**9	Dragonball Z Kami to Kami RE
22 (***)	*36	**,524	*,*11,514	**3	Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v7
24 (***)	---	**,489	*,*64,065	*18	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
25 (***)	---	**,439	2,392,809	431	Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
27 (***)	---	**,417	*,364,740	369	Mononoke-hime
28 (***)	---	**,372	*,777,199	555	Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
29 (***)	---	**,365	*,***,365	**1	Soreike! Manpanman DoReMiFa-shima no Christmas
And next week there's literally nothing new on sale at all. Which of course means the last two weeks of November are going to be a rush.

Articalys

And while it may have been a slow week for BD, it was a decent week for music:

New CD Single Nov. 4-10
*4. 37,259 *37,259 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari ED "Kimi no Gin no Niwa"
*6. 21,431 *21,431 Magi: The Kingdom of Magic OP "Anniversary"
10. 12,633 *12,633 Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta OP "Sakura no Ato (all quartets lead to the ?)"
13. *7,795 **7,795 Tokyo Ravens OP X-encounter
15. *6,476 **6,476 Gundam Build Fighters OP "Nibun no Ichi"
18. *5,844 **5,844 IS: Infinite Stratos 2 OP "True Blue Traveler"
19. *5,826 **5,826 Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai OP "Anicca"
25. *3,608 **3,608 White Album 2 OP "Todokanai Koi '13'"
28. *3,333 **3,333 Little Busters!: Refrain ED "Kimi to no Nakushi Mono"
34. *2,737 **2,737 Coppelion OP/ED "Angel / Tooku Made"
44. *2,012 **2,012 Non Non Biyori ED "Non Non Biyori"
59. *1,378 **1,378 Outbreak Company ED "Watashi no Houseibako"

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1

There's plenty about this to like, though it's still very much in the introduction phase. In the abstract, I really like the setting. But all the echoes that suggest, "This is a WWII story told from Japan's perspective" (and making the centerpiece of your show the biggest battleship Japan built during the war kind of invites them) make me feel really weird about everything happening. Stories that cast the Japan of that era as an entirely innocent victim always rub me the wrong way.

I hope that feeling goes away once they get away from Earth.

Of course it is partly a metaphor for WWII but not quite in the same way you'd imagine and it's certainly not the focus of the story, it really is a sci-fi story.

No sweet and sweet cherry? It better just be too early.

I think that's suppose to be out this week

Strike Witches The Movie
Pretty good, better than S2 for me. I find it a tad weird that shutdown Strike Witches before the Neuroi were destroyed but whatever. So it starts off with Miyafuji going abroad to study to be a doctor. She goes to Europe, somehow on the west side of Europe, and starts meeting the former Strike Witches in her cross-continent tour. Meanwhile showing that following orders is not the absolute best thing to do.
Then, the Neuroi attack and the Strike Witches discover this and head towards Miyafuji's location. As the fight goes on, Miyafuji gets hurt and by the power of friendship she gets her magic back. Then, she destroys the Neuroi with super powerful magic and strike witches are reformed. Again.
I knew that she would get her magic back but it still seems like its a little cheap. I liked that Sakamoto lost all her magic and had to fly a plane. I also like this new girl, Shizuka. She'd be somewhere in the upper half of rankings

Strike Witches The Movie
Pretty good, better than S2 for me. I find it a tad weird that shutdown Strike Witches before the Neuroi were destroyed but whatever. So it starts off with Miyafuji going abroad to study to be a doctor. She goes to Europe, somehow on the west side of Europe, and starts meeting the former Strike Witches in her cross-continent tour. Meanwhile showing that following orders is not the absolute best thing to do.
Then, the Neuroi attack and the Strike Witches discover this and head towards Miyafuji's location. As the fight goes on, Miyafuji gets hurt and by the power of friendship she gets her magic back. Then, she destroys the Neuroi with super powerful magic and strike witches are reformed. Again.
I knew that she would get her magic back but it still seems like its a little cheap. I liked that Sakamoto lost all her magic and had to fly a plane. I also like this new girl, Shizuka. She'd be somewhere in the upper half of rankings

They disbanded the 501st because the Neuroi occupying that region were defeated. Also Shizuka is definitely great, she'll hopefully appear in the OVAs or S3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. I completely forgot I watched the first episode of Galilei Donna. Guess that's another show to catch up on. Kind of enjoyed the first episode so I should at least give it a fair shake.

I'm only just catching up with the last two episodes of Kill la Kill this evening.

cnet128

Banned
Bakemonogatari 1

Visually speaking, the show is very attractive. There's a lot of detail and wonderful use of color and all those things for people who aren't filthy plebs like me and cannot really appreciate that. The show is pretty and hell, even the CG looked nice.

The plot though . . . was pretty confusing. Like, here's what I got out of it. Arara (I know that's not his name, but it reminds me of the bird and those birds are awesome) is like, hanging around planning the school festival with a girl whose panties he saw while thinking about a girl I guess he caught after slipping on a banana, and then he follows her and she is crazy skilled with school supplies as weapons, and they go to meet a man who can cure her of her absurd lack of weight (caused by a Crab God). They know he can help because he cured our parrot protagonist of being a vampire.

I think that's more or less the set up, and you'll all surely forgive me for going "Uh, what?" at that.

Ahah, yeah, I think everyone is a bit overwhelmed by the series at the very beginning. It does just kind of dump you in there. Gets a lot easier to follow before too long, though. Supernatural phenomenaaaaaassssss.

Also I believe they threw in an incredibly condensed summary of the prequel Kizumonogatari right at the beginning of the first episode for no good reason other than to confuse everyone's asses off (and make us hate them more for not releasing the goddamn movie).

A Certain Magical Index 1-9

Touma is both really cool and really annoying. He handles memory loss extremely well and manages to even keep it secret most of the time so far. I also like how he doesn't take shit and dishes it back in equal amounts. However, this also means he's really fucking preachy at times and I hope he'll some day get interrupted during one of his whining sessions with a nice big fist to the face.

I'm pretty sure Touma doesn't receive fists to the face because he is too busy delivering them.

Kanata is getting 5 webisodes in late Nov. Gag idol episodes by Taichi Ishidate and Hiroko Utsumi. That's definitely what they'll be packing into the 7th BD/DVD disc, so now the question is - is the series really 13 episodes? Or are they doing another OVA exactly like Chuu2? :p

bEwwDd5.jpg

Guaranteed to be more entertaining than the actual series.

I probably won't bother watching them though.

Dat NNB ED is made of pure healing. Shame they do instrumentals but not vocals only.

I propose that "acapella version" should be a thing for every anime single ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom